IGNORED

JET signs for Billericay Town (Merged)

GrahamC

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

JET was class for city, can't believe people think he was a flop or a waste. 

For us yes couldn’t fault the bloke at all, was one of the best we’ve had, his career as a whole imo for the talent he possesses he undoubtedly could of made it to the top, he’s clearly never had the desire to push himself to the max though, he seems happy enough in life that’s all that matters.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

You don’t think he is incredibly talented, then?

His application may be questionable & he may be a shape that makes being a footballer more difficult, but if you don’t think he is easily one of the most talented players to play for us in the last 20 years then I worry as to what you have been watching..

Agreed, he proved without doubt what he was capable of, he was just not capable of maintaining it. So sad but wish him well, go Jet.

I've read, from people who know their football, that JET's problem at root was having the build of a heavyweight boxer rather than a footballer so it took him much longer to recover from one of his great games than it did other players.  So it wasn't about attitude but his state of fitness at the start of the game.

I would like to think they're right; I have been astounded by his ability to pretty much walk the ball round two defenders before inevitably beating the keeper and thought "If he can do that why doesn't he do it every game?".

It is the one explanation that doesn't assume that he has a poor attitude and I would like to think that it's correct.

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I've read, from people who know their football, that JET's problem at root was having the build of a heavyweight boxer rather than a footballer so it took him much longer to recover from one of his great games than it did other players.  So it wasn't about attitude but his state of fitness at the start of the game.

I would like to think they're right; I have been astounded by his ability to pretty much walk the ball round two defenders before inevitably beating the keeper and thought "If he can do that why doesn't he do it every game?".

It is the one explanation that doesn't assume that he has a poor attitude and I would like to think that it's correct.

With all the technology used in the modern game would you not expect the management/coaching etc team too spot that and just play him every other week but then buy a tej and play him other every week?

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Who has the better shape for an endurance athlete Reid or JET?

How many punches do heavy weight boxers throw before they fatigue more or less than welterweights?

Muscle mass affects aerobic capacity.

Seems maybe it’s all a bit premature to say he’s signed as another poster commented. Taken from official club twitter:

Club statement - Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, to be clear we haven’t signed or made any form of statement to say Jay has signed! we are looking at him as he is us, negotiations are ongoing, keep an eye on the social pages for updates

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That’s one explanation,who are these people you have read who know their football because us charlatans on here would like to read it

Numerous times in the run he had in the side admittedly due to injury , he’d get the ball 40 yards out and run at the defence. The whole of the back 4 would retreat as one , shit scared of him . He came through the Arsenal academy but never had the application . Thousands of park standard players with plenty of running that could only dream of his ability and I’m one of them . Loved watching him but am a bit annoyed he’s wasting it. 

2 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Wilbraham got 20 goals in League One fella. Does he walk on water with JET? Bore off. 

You don't think Wilbraham is fondly remembered here? Then perhaps you are blind.

Wilbraham did a great job for us, but as a very different type of player to what JET is.

Wilbraham was a (for lack of a better word) lump who would take punishment from defenders to allow his strike partner to get better chances.

JET was a player who could, and frequently did, take 4-5 players on on his own, and then put the ball in the net from 20 yards.

Without wanting to disparage Wilbs, it really isn't hard to see that what JET was doing took a hell of a lot more skill to pull off.

Wilbraham wouldn't have scored many of the goals JET did, but JET would have been capable of scoring a number of the ones Wilbraham did.

3 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Wilbraham got 20 goals in League One fella. Does he walk on water with JET? Bore off. 

I'll bet you were one of the ******* that was begging for the manager to drop him when he had created or scored 95% of our goals up to that point in the season. Some people seem to forget what the point of this game is,  I guess his "pro zone" figures said he didn't cover enough kilometres in the game or something. At least I know now to ignore your opinion on any other player that is mooted for an incoming transfer.

8 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

It seems cotts was the only manager to get a tune out of him and jet only got a decent run then because of injuries. What a waste of talent. Imagine his ability with Bobby Reid’s work rate , he’d be world class. 

SO’D got the best out of him individually in my opinion

Such a shame because he’s brilliant. One of the most enjoyable players to watch that I’ve seen here.

I’d actually take him back if it was up to me, definitely rose tinted on my part, but I think he could be a top player at this level if you could get the equilibrium correct with him.

7 hours ago, Cowshed said:

It is not staggering if it is broken down. 

Why is Bobby Reid not as skillful as Jay Emanuelle Thomas? Why are the rest of us not as skillful as either? 

There is no skill dna. That level of skill can only come from insane levels of practice. Seriously his work ethic must have been staggering. His mindset ... His growth mindset to be that skillful had to be more committed, more passionate about his skill level than his peers and us. He was not born like that, its is not natural in the sense it is developed by creating neurons and myelination, via thousands and thousands of hours of deliberate practice the like of which normal human beings never attempt to achieve in sport.

These levels of skill rarely co exist with the supposed harder working, and when they do they get called Ronaldo. The unusually skilled in a Jay Emanuelle Thomas, a Tomlin and a Trundle in BCFC's case are all tagged flawed and work shy. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that these players have to work even harder due to their physical limitations to achieve the levels they have ... They become that skillful in spite of what they are physically are ... They achieve, they reach their limits.

It's almost like people forget that to reach the grade JET reached anyway you have to be a percentage of a percentage of the elite.

Given that I was 9 when Jacki was plying his trade here, I’m going to say that JET is singularly THE most exciting player I’ve ever seen at AG. He was incredible that one season. And wherever he plays, I’ll forever remember him fondly. 

46 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Given that I was 9 when Jacki was plying his trade here, I’m going to say that JET is singularly THE most exciting player I’ve ever seen at AG. He was incredible that one season. And wherever he plays, I’ll forever remember him fondly. 

I dread to think what sort of stick Jacki would get if he was playing for us now, we were a lot more “tolerant” of quality players in the past

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m just happy we got to see him in what has turned out to be the best period of his career. As others have said, a rare bright light during some pretty dismal times.

Good luck to him whatever he decides to do, it`s your life JET, do what you want with it.

What’s frustrating is that he’s only 27 - he could be having his best years right now. Of course, it’s his life.. but someone as talented as him should be playing at a high level.

On ability, he’s comfortably Premier League in my opinion and much better than Lee Tomlin. Imagine how tough it must be playing against JET when he’s on form, stronger and bigger than most centre halves but at the same time usually the most skilful player on the pitch. That’s so rare.

I can’t think of many other attainable players I’d rather have as a number 10 than a fit and firing JET. I also think he helped Baldock, who I personally felt was fairly limited, look very good. Imagine peak JET alongside the Reid, Abraham or Kodjia of recent seasons.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What’s frustrating is that he’s only 27 - he could be having his best years right now. Of course, it’s his life.. but someone as talented as him should be playing at a high level.

On ability, he’s comfortably Premier League in my opinion and much better than Lee Tomlin. Imagine how tough it must be playing against JET when he’s on form, stronger and bigger than most centre halves but at the same time usually the most skilful player on the pitch. That’s so rare.

I can’t think of many other attainable players I’d rather have as a number 10 than a fit and firing JET. I also think he helped Baldock, who I personally felt was fairly limited, look very good. Imagine peak JET alongside the Reid, Abraham or Kodjia of recent seasons.

Oh I agree with this totally. We`ve only just finished discussing on other threads where the next really creative England midfielder was going to come from and if JET had only applied himself over recent years he could have been that player IMO.

We are also guilty of loving football too much though and can`t deal with a player with talent we would sell our grannies to have not being the same.

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I'll bet you were one of the ******* that was begging for the manager to drop him when he had created or scored 95% of our goals up to that point in the season. Some people seem to forget what the point of this game is,  I guess his "pro zone" figures said he didn't cover enough kilometres in the game or something. At least I know now to ignore your opinion on any other player that is mooted for an incoming transfer.

If only we had JET now. We’d be nailed on to win the league. Premier League quality.

8 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

The boxing analogy doesn’t work because it’s the same 

The boxing analogy does work. Heavyweights on average throw less than 50 punches per round. Lower weights throw more. 

The analogy works across multiple aerobic sports which have similar disciplines to football.

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's almost like people forget that to reach the grade JET reached anyway you have to be a percentage of a percentage of the elite.

People have this steadfast belief that skill acquisition is a feat of luck rather than hardwork. People are born talented. To score that goal v the Gas JET somehow already had that ability as he leaped out of the womb at birth and could lash the placenta across the room ... Its a bizarre proposition.

13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The boxing analogy does work. Heavyweights on average throw less than 50 punches per round. Lower weights throw more. 

The analogy works across multiple aerobic sports which have similar disciplines to football.

People have this steadfast belief that skill acquisition is a feat of luck rather than hardwork. People are born talented. To score that goal v the Gas JET somehow already had that ability as he leaped out of the womb at birth and could lash the placenta across the room ... Its a bizarre proposition.

I can't really be bothered to get into a never ending debate with you on this, but just to clarify - does this mean you believe that upon birth, everyone has the potential to be the best in the world at anything provided they practice enough?

Archived