IGNORED

Bristol Utd Enthusiast

Pickle Rick

23 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

City saleing best players,the mayor wants it,lansdown wants it,wale wants rid of the gas .the guy was getting on a bit so I just agreed.he went on about mayor investment from somewhere but then I think he went home for his afternoon nap.talking to a couple of gas friends and there reaction was not as bad to a merger than I thought it would be

Thanks fella.

Interesting view on their part. Why on earth would 'Lansdown want it' though? :dunno:

Thinking logically , for a merger it has to realistically be good for both parties. Ignoring the fans for now, what does each team have to offer ?

Well City have; A good ground , good infrastructure , is well backed , have a reasonable Championship squad, through Bristol sport (like it or not) are well organised and are getting a lot of the off field things in place, have attracted a large up and coming sponsor , there are probably more but that will do.

R*vers have, an owner who has a nice watch, some land in Horefield , some land somewhere else (well Dwayne sports do ), actually scratch that as their debts will probably take care of most of that, so uummm, got nothing.

So , and I'm no financial or business expert , but wouldn't it be more of a takeover? And really would there even be a point of that, maybe if you could guarantee that all their 8k fans (plus numerous locked outside) would swell the attendance then possibly , it might be worth it. But this is football so that wouldn't happen (even if the EFL allowed it)
Also, why would SL give up and power ? What would Wael add financially ? Wael would be happy as a pig in shit if someone would make an offer where he could recoup what he has spent, but why SL would have part in that ragbag lot?

Can't believe that A) anyone would think this is a serious possibility  and B) That there is any way that SL would even consider it.

They would sell the ground convincing everyone that it's better to sell it and rent it back to free up money, then lose the money down the back of the sofa, not afford the rent and we would be begging Bristol Manor farm to let us use their pitch and facilities within a year or two. I suspect that Wael would also be photographed wearing what looks like a large upgrade to his current time piece after all this took place.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Is it a Generation thing?

I've spoken to many people of my fathers Generation who used to watch City and Rovers, and followed both.

This seemed to go right on up into the late 60's.

Was it just a case of getting a weekly football fix, as less was shown on TV, if you even owned one, and transport to away games harder?

I'm guessing there two types of fans...Bristol City only fans, and Fans that support football and follow Bristol City?

I'm City through and through...but wouldn't have a problem going to watch the Gas play if they were playing against a team or a player I wanted to watch. I have done so with Italian friends who wanted to visit both City and the Gas. Didn't bother me.

As for a Bristol Utd...can see the Gas going non league before that ever happened....or out of business.

Yeah right, like that would ever happen.

I've spoken to many people of my fathers Generation who used to watch City and Rovers, and followed both.

Was it just a case of getting a weekly football fix, as less was shown on TV, if you even owned one, and transport to away games harder?

I'm guessing there two types of fans...Bristol City only fans, and Fans that support football and follow Bristol City?

I'm City through and through...but wouldn't have a problem going to watch the Gas play if they were playing against a team or a player I wanted to watch. I have done so with Italian friends who wanted to visit both City and the Gas. Didn't bother me.

As for a Bristol Utd...can see the Gas going non league before that ever happened....or out of business.

I used to enjoy the rivalry with Rovers far more when they were a better side.  The gulf between us now makes the supposed rivalry almost irrelevant.  That said, I’d welcome a single team on Bristol, if it would increase the chance of sustained success because, let’s face it, no city in Europe has underachieved at football like Bristol in the last 100 years.

There were three clubs in Inverness; Caledonian, Thistle and Clachnacudden (SP?). When some Highland League teams were being accepted into the Scottish League, it was explained that one strong Inverness team would fare better than two or three middling ones. Clachnacudden would have nothing to do with it, but the other two set aside their differences and rivalry and did merge. They were in the SPL just a few years  after taking that step.

Dagenham & Redbridge was another merger of rivals as was Bedminster and Bristol South End. However in each case people at the time realised some good would come of it as both parties had something to offer. Currently though, IMHO, a merger of City and Rovers would realistically be nothing more than City taking over and shutting down the Rovers. Gasheads would want nothing to do with a combined team playing at AG with all of "their" players put on the transfer list as they're not good enough.

There were two teams in Carlisle who tried getting in the League. They were told one team would be better for them and would be accepted in the League. In Newcastle, one club had a strong team, but poor facilities, whilst another had a good ground, but rubbish players. They merged and got into the league.

However look at the "bigger" clubs. Liverpool was founded by breakaway dissidents from Everton. Newton Heath (Man U) & Ardwick (Man C) were founded by rival companies. You never hear of calls for Liverpool or Manchester to have just one super team. 

Given their reported financial troubles it might make sense for Brum & Villa to merge, but I doubt their fans would tolerate it and if struggles continued, fans would just walk away.

And that is what would happen in Bristol; a struggling combined team would be deserted by the fans saying it would never happen if we hadn't merged.

11 hours ago, 22A said:

There were two teams in Carlisle who tried getting in the League. They were told one team would be better for them and would be accepted in the League. In Newcastle, one club had a strong team, but poor facilities, whilst another had a good ground, but rubbish players. They merged and got into the league.

However look at the "bigger" clubs. Liverpool was founded by breakaway dissidents from Everton. Newton Heath (Man U) & Ardwick (Man C) were founded by rival companies. You never hear of calls for Liverpool or Manchester to have just one super team. 

Given their reported financial troubles it might make sense for Brum & Villa to merge, but I doubt their fans would tolerate it and if struggles continued, fans would just walk away.

And that is what would happen in Bristol; a struggling combined team would be deserted by the fans saying it would never happen if we hadn't merged.

I remember John Hall arrogantly lecturing us when Newcastle were doing well about how we would never get anywhere with two clubs in the city and we ought to merge and that was exactly the forum response then.

Well Newcastle is no longer setting the Premiership alight and those dinosaur teams of Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Rangers and Celtic who refuse to listen to John Hall's great words of wisdom seem to be struggling on okay.

The calls for a merger of the two teams derive in my experience from people who support both clubs; which is these days a minority but it used to be reasonably common up to the 1960s for people to have a season ticket for both clubs.  Which was nice.

I'm in a bit of a minority in wanting the Rovers to do ok as I like the challenge and the friendly rivalry; my main objection to a merger is that that all of that would be lost and we would have to cast around for some faux rivalry with either Cardiff or Swindon and there would be absolutely nothing friendly about those rivalries.

Archived