IGNORED

Bristol Utd Enthusiast

Pickle Rick

3 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

If we did merge, it’s only fair that the new club name reflect the 2 clubs out of respect for their history  

We could use ‘Bristol ‘ from Rovers, and ‘City’ from us. 

Old joke

6 hours ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

From what I've seen of Wael Al-Qadi the Gas are very much in his interest. Recently left the Jordanian FA to put all his time into the club as well.

Watch the money because he doesn't control it; he is a fan in a suit.

Minimal ground improvements.

Big money player sales but few signings.

Zero movement on the "training ground" that they don't even own.

I'm quite fond of the gas in an odd way, I'd hate to a see a Bristol United.  It would mean no banter with my gas mates, no freindly Derby games the one with Cardiff is anything but.  I don't know where it comes from I think since the 90s when we played them fairly regularly I've missed that rivalry with the gas and I oddly wish them some sort of success to have some sort of return to the good old days:-)

11 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Got to be a WUM.

If there was a Bristol Utd, it would be all Bristol City as the gas have absolutely nothing better than we do, end of.

Better ground, obviously.

Better players in every position, obviously.

Better league position, obviously.

Better crowds, by an absolute mile.

Better owner. Our owner DOES spend his money, their's just adds debt and spends naff all.

Why on earth would we be remotely interested? ? 'em.

they can't even claim to have better pies these days

11 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Got to be a WUM.

If there was a Bristol Utd, it would be all Bristol City as the gas have absolutely nothing better than we do, end of.

Better owner. Our owner DOES spend his money, their's just adds debt and spends naff all.

That’s harsh..!

We could use the White from their kit to go with the Red from ours. 

People who suggest bigger crowds for Bristol United are really naive beyond belief. This is how it would unfold = Bristol United are founded and take City's place in the Championship, almost immediately Rovers and City fans form their own clubs in protest at the merger. Rovers get 3000 season ticket holders for their new Screwfix club, City get 9000 season ticket holders for theirs (all at much cheaper prices of course). The business brains behind United are surprised when there are very, very slow ticket sales for the amalgamated team. 

12 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Something very odd and ‘unique’ popped up on Twitter just now...

Anyone come across this person? Seriously not sure if it’s a wind up or not.

3D8A2EDB-628C-4657-8C6F-EC39E2A72F72.jpeg

Weird bunch those Gasheads, using a Dictaphone. Why not use your hands like everyone else?

29 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

People who suggest bigger crowds for Bristol United are really naive beyond belief. This is how it would unfold = Bristol United are founded and take City's place in the Championship, almost immediately Rovers and City fans form their own clubs in protest at the merger. Rovers get 3000 season ticket holders for their new Screwfix club, City get 9000 season ticket holders for theirs (all at much cheaper prices of course). The business brains behind United are surprised when there are very, very slow ticket sales for the amalgamated team. 

we don't even need their bitter and twisted fan base, our average  last season was 20k, last time we were in the championship it was around 14 to 15k, if the club continue its growth on and off the field then we may well start to see sell outs more regularly and the atyeo will have to be redeveloped  

Is it a Generation thing?

I've spoken to many people of my fathers Generation who used to watch City and Rovers, and followed both.

This seemed to go right on up into the late 60's.

Was it just a case of getting a weekly football fix, as less was shown on TV, if you even owned one, and transport to away games harder?

I'm guessing there two types of fans...Bristol City only fans, and Fans that support football and follow Bristol City?

I'm City through and through...but wouldn't have a problem going to watch the Gas play if they were playing against a team or a player I wanted to watch. I have done so with Italian friends who wanted to visit both City and the Gas. Didn't bother me.

As for a Bristol Utd...can see the Gas going non league before that ever happened....or out of business.

I believe the rules are that in the case of a merger the new club takes the place of the LOWEST placed team of the two in the league structure. Thus, at present, that would be League One.

I cannot see this happening. Back in the 80s and through to the early naughties I was an advocate of a United team. However, it has become apparent in this decade that City are widening the gap considerably between the two clubs. On the pitch there is only one division between us but off it our infrastructure etc is so far advanced of Rovers that it is like comparing Shergar at his best with a donkey at W-s-M on the brink of retirement. Anyone new to Bristol will more likely gravitate to watching City and this trend will only increase as time goes on, while kids are more likely to be swayed by all City's promise and facilities and set up when choosing a club (unless their parents are dyed in the wool gasheads). 

If this trend continues, and I cannot see anything to stop it unless Rovers build a new stadium in South Gloucestershire, it will eventually get like Manchester Utd  and Manchester City in relation to Stockport, or Liverpool and Everton in relation to Tranmere. There is no need for Liverpool to merge with Tranmere and there will be no need for City to merge with Rovers.

I believe SL knows this. He knows that over time support for City will increase further at the expense of Rovers, for it will reach the point, the way it is going, where even Rovers fans who want to support a successful Bristol team will realize that the only way of achieving that is to bite the bullet and watch City. That is how I see it panning out at present. As mentioned previously, Rovers could stop this trend by building a new stadium in South Gloucestershire and competing with City infrastructure wise.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Is it a Generation thing?

I've spoken to many people of my fathers Generation who used to watch City and Rovers, and followed both.

This seemed to go right on up into the late 60's.

Was it just a case of getting a weekly football fix, as less was shown on TV, if you even owned one, and transport to away games harder?

I'm guessing there two types of fans...Bristol City only fans, and Fans that support football and follow Bristol City?

I'm City through and through...but wouldn't have a problem going to watch the Gas play if they were playing against a team or a player I wanted to watch. I have done so with Italian friends who wanted to visit both City and the Gas. Didn't bother me.

As for a Bristol Utd...can see the Gas going non league before that ever happened....or out of business.

There is an element of truth to this but not as widespread as you might believe.

In the early 60's when the gas were in the old 2nd division and we were in the 3rd, I went to both, my dad would take to City matches and my neighbour (a scottish gashead) would take me to Eastville, but I would only go if I was allowed to wear my red and white scarf, which I did with pride, backed up by the fact that my neighbour was a 6foot 3inch ex military Jock.

My best mate and best man at my wedding is a gashead and has 3 sons and he tried in vain to get them to become BCFC fans, to limit the amount of heartbreak and merciless piss taking that they would have to endure growing up.

Seriously I can’t see this happening at all now. 

Maybe if both clubs were struggling and a merger was the only way to stop both going out of business, but now? Really? And I recon there would be stronger opposition from Gas fans than us - they would be eclipsed by us. Playing anywhere other than Ashton Gate would be madness and playing any of their players ahead of ours would be too. Rovers would be swallowed up - I suspect even the ‘United’ would revert back to ‘City’ after a while. 

Wont happen. 

13 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Something very odd and ‘unique’ popped up on Twitter just now...

Anyone come across this person? Seriously not sure if it’s a wind up or not.

3D8A2EDB-628C-4657-8C6F-EC39E2A72F72.jpeg

Have you seen North Side Mob's 'ice bath' or 'super shop' this week. Portishead Town AFC got more clout than those clowns.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Watch the money because he doesn't control it; he is a fan in a suit.

Minimal ground improvements.

Big money player sales but few signings.

Zero movement on the "training ground" that they don't even own.

bought my local football teams field a few years ago to make into a training ground, and currently bugger all has happened there in 2 1/2 years

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

More likely to be called the Bears than United.

This is a legitimate thing, and I've met a few people before that have not necessarily supported both clubs at the same time, but have supported the idea of both teams merging.

Most of their arguments were around neither club having mainstream success, and Bristol not being a big enough city to be able to sustain two football clubs.

While I can see what their intentions are, it's a ******* stupid idea that just doesn't work in the real world. For starters:

• Joining two clubs together doesn't form some kind of superclub. If City and Rovers joined it'd basically be Bristol CIty with some players to offload in the transfer market.
  • This isn't America. If either City of Rovers disappear, those fans probably disappear too. You end up with a club that is significantly weaker than it was before.
  • City size doesn't factor into the equation. Bristol is more than big enough for two (or more teams), but it needs real success to bring the fans in. 
  • Enough phoenix clubs exist to indicate that if you really want to create a new Bristol team, you can. All you need to do is register at the bottom of the football pyramid with "Bristol United" and work your way up.

Posted elsewhere how glorious the history of Bristol football could have been, if only it had one club.

Not not enough to support two. It creates more problems and divisions and in turn stops a city, it’s people and it’s commerce from whole heartedly getting behind it.

14 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

This is a legitimate thing, and I've met a few people before that have not necessarily supported both clubs at the same time, but have supported the idea of both teams merging.

Most of their arguments were around neither club having mainstream success, and Bristol not being a big enough city to be able to sustain two football clubs.

While I can see what their intentions are, it's a ******* stupid idea that just doesn't work in the real world. For starters:

• Joining two clubs together doesn't form some kind of superclub. If City and Rovers joined it'd basically be Bristol CIty with some players to offload in the transfer market.
  • This isn't America. If either City of Rovers disappear, those fans probably disappear too. You end up with a club that is significantly weaker than it was before.
  • City size doesn't factor into the equation. Bristol is more than big enough for two (or more teams), but it needs real success to bring the fans in. 
  • Enough phoenix clubs exist to indicate that if you really want to create a new Bristol team, you can. All you need to do is register at the bottom of the football pyramid with "Bristol United" and work your way up.

yup, done this scenario in football managements games before. When naming my ground I even looked at various places in Bristol on Google maps to find a realistic location... it's surprising how few locations could actually fit a decent sized stadium on it. My colours were  Red, Green, Blue to match the ship/sea/castle of the City.

12 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

This is strange,working in bedminster last week and started talking to another red but I nstead of the usual Johnson in out talk he went straight in at he's heard rumours of a merger and then gave about 10 s..t reasons why it will happen

Go on @Mtimmy11? I would like to hear the reasons, even if it's just for the humour.

I know times have changed, but being old school in that it was drilled into me to support my local club by my parents. As kids living in Ashton the old man or Gramps always used to take us down the Gate. You become affiliated with the club, the roots and the area etc. If we had some sort of 'United' style club playing in Broadmead it wouldn't have appealed to me much at all and probably wouldn't have kept up the passion for going each week.

Plus, Bristol City centre, Broadmead especially, is an absolute ****hole. Give me a pre-drink sesh down the Miners Arms or North St any day. 

15 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Got to be a WUM.

Better colour.

2 hours ago, Undy English said:

I know times have changed, but being old school in that it was drilled into me to support my local club by my parents. As kids living in Ashton the old man or Gramps always used to take us down the Gate. You become affiliated with the club, the roots and the area etc. If we had some sort of 'United' style club playing in Broadmead it wouldn't have appealed to me much at all and probably wouldn't have kept up the passion for going each week.

Plus, Bristol City centre, Broadmead especially, is an absolute ****hole. Give me a pre-drink sesh down the Miners Arms or North St any day. 

The city centre and broadmead are more of a shithole than North Street??Ha!

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Go on @Mtimmy11? I would like to hear the reasons, even if it's just for the humour.

City saleing best players,the mayor wants it,lansdown wants it,wale wants rid of the gas .the guy was getting on a bit so I just agreed.he went on about mayor investment from somewhere but then I think he went home for his afternoon nap.talking to a couple of gas friends and there reaction was not as bad to a merger than I thought it would be

Archived