IGNORED

Matt Taylor

swindon fan

23 minutes ago, paulcityfan said:

We all know all that but don't be picky James.  We've not been in the PL

So out of interest, what was Bristol City Football Club doing for roughly 100 years before SKY invented football in 1992?

Seeing as that when you seem to think it was invented.

Christ, the Sheffield clubs must not have thumbs left, with the amount of thumb twiddling they did waiting for SKY to invent the game.

And what a coincidence that so many (several hundred) teams were formed, all ready and waiting for the sport to be invented, and all calling the sport the same name!

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So out of interest, what was Bristol City Football Club doing for roughly 100 years before SKY invented football in 1992?

Seeing as that when you seem to think it was invented.

Christ, the Sheffield clubs must not have thumbs left, with the amount of thumb twiddling they did waiting for SKY to invent the game.

And what a coincidence that so many (several hundred) teams were formed, all ready and waiting for the sport to be invented, and all calling the sport the same name!

Especially Sheffield F.C. - the world’s first and oldest football club having been formed in 1857....who did they play?! 

http://www.sheffieldfc.com/

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Especially Sheffield F.C. - the world’s first and oldest football club having been formed in 1857....who did they play?! 

Thats who I was initially thinking of, but couldnt remember if there was another part to the name.

Mind you Wednesday were just 10 years later. They still had to wait 125 years for SKY to invent football!

29 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Apparently the first games were Sheffield FC vs Sheffield FC.

Married vs Singles.

Married XI must have triumphed....all those boring nights in watching soap operas, early nights (with just sleep involved!) - a bowl of Special K with chopped fruit on top provided by their devoted spouses for breakfast before their freshly ironed kit was handed to them as they walked out the front door after a loving peck on the cheek.....compared with the Singles XI who went straight out from work to the nearest watering hole to sink enough loopy juice to take down a medium-sized hippo before staggering to a late-night drinking den, eating a Kit-Kat on the way to line their stomachs before the second onslaught of industrial strength lager convinced them they could dance, then zig-zagging their way home before giving up and kipping on a park bench before waking up with a copper poking them with his truncheon (matron!) then straight from there to the match to be led a merry dance, by the fleet footed married winger called Derek with an immaculately coiffured side parting....

On 02/08/2018 at 18:48, bcfcredandwhite said:

From (living) memory, transfers from Swindon to City are:

- Shaun Taylor (good player and captain)

- Robin Hulbert (can’t remember - did he play?)

- Aden Flint (Good player)

from City to Swindon:

- Wayne Alison (Liked the Chief - sad when he went)

- Christian Roberts (Ok when he wasn’t pissed)

- Aaron Brown (Ok - angry when he scored the equaliser against us at AG last game of the season in a game which screwed both of us - Swindon went down - under Paul Sturrock I think - and we failed to crash the Playoffs)

- We also gave them Danny Wilson  

As close as I can to remembering - the Hulbert deal was one of those weird ones.

I have a feeling that Hulbert was stuck on 49 appearances for Swindon because they couldn't afford the 50 appearances clause in his contract, thus he came to us for a nominal or was to sit out his contract.

I might have the wrong player, but it rings a bell 

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

As close as I can to remembering - the Hulbert deal was one of those weird ones.

I have a feeling that Hulbert was stuck on 49 appearances for Swindon because they couldn't afford the 50 appearances clause in his contract, thus he came to us for a nominal or was to sit out his contract.

I might have the wrong player, but it rings a bell 

It was close to that BR - Swindon got him from Everton and part of the transfer was that Swindon would pay the Toffees £25k for every 30 games he played for Swindon....so he mysteriously got sold to us when he had made 29 appearances....

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

There was a question about this on The Chase last week ironically.  They had to wait a year until they could play Hallam FC.  Every week probably.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I thought Notts County were the oldest football club in the world. 

Bramall Lane is the oldest GROUND still used for football. 

I also wondered who they played against - but I guess it would have been the public schools who adopted the Cambridge rules.........

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I thought Notts County were the oldest football club in the world. 

Bramall Lane is the oldest GROUND still used for football. 

I also wondered who they played against - but I guess it would have been the public schools who adopted the Cambridge rules.........

Notts County are the oldest professional club.

But they were founded 5 years after Sheffield FC

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Are Swindon still imagining cruising to the championship?

Isn't that the ****** brothers celebrating winning promotion in August.

Isn't it funny how fortunes have changed since that season.

If there was one reason why I dislike them more than the sags then here you have it. I think the little 5hit chickened out of the return match knowing the reception he would've got on and off the field.

On 02/08/2018 at 18:48, bcfcredandwhite said:

From (living) memory, transfers from Swindon to City are:

- Shaun Taylor (good player and captain)

- Robin Hulbert (can’t remember - did he play?)

- Aden Flint (Good player)

from City to Swindon:

- Wayne Alison (Liked the Chief - sad when he went)

- Christian Roberts (Ok when he wasn’t pissed)

- Aaron Brown (Ok - angry when he scored the equaliser against us at AG last game of the season in a game which screwed both of us - Swindon went down - under Paul Sturrock I think - and we failed to crash the Playoffs)

- We also gave them Danny Wilson  

Paul Allen came to us from Swindon in 96/97. Was at the end of his career but still quality playing that ring wing back role. 

We got two great Centre backs from them in Taylor and Flint but we also got Matt Heywood from them. Can’t get it right all the time! 

Same applies to Grant Smith as well - scored the winner in a friendly against the Gas but that’s about all he did for us!

On 02/08/2018 at 17:06, swindon fan said:

Hi, guys

Any whispers your end about Matt Taylor heading our way? Or is he likely to be in your plans for the season.

Can see this as highly probable. Just can’t see him being anything other than a fringe player. For me he just doesn’t have enough attributes to be knocking on the managers door looking for a place in the starting eleven.

14 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

Can see this as highly probable. Just can’t see him being anything other than a fringe player. For me he just doesn’t have enough attributes to be knocking on the managers door looking for a place in the starting eleven.

Can't remember the last time he was presented with a decent chance to finish. Chucking him on with 15 to go and hitting long balls at him is incredibly unfair. We lack creativity in midfield, given a good chance I'm confident he'd be our best finisher. 

On 03/08/2018 at 09:32, REDOXO said:

Never realised Terry Paine was in the 66 Squad!

I used to watch City with his daughter many years ago. He kept the White Horse at Frampton Mansell on the A419, she was going out with KevP and we used to share the driving from Stroud to Ashton Gate.

On 04/08/2018 at 18:06, Rich_s said:

League 2? Behave! His wages would bankrupt them anyway. Actually, that's a benefit, off you go Snakey boy! ;)

Pissed off the sags and bankrupted Swindown, immediate legend status. :clap:

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What's the difference between a false or a real rumour ? 

:laugh:!

i meant that it wasn’t just the original poster putting it on here to wind us up - the lads in work were talking about it too - as were some chaps down my local. I doubt if all of those people got it from OTIB......

Archived