IGNORED

Gustav Engvall Sale Price

Redland

22 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Over £2m according to both LJ and SL seperately at the time to Twentyman

Well that's alright then. So we got 12.5% of what we paid for him back, rather than 10%.

This must be one of the worst bits of business ever conducted by the club.

Hands up people here who'd get the sack if they just wasted their employer £1.75m.

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well that's alright then. So we got 12.5% of what we paid for him back, rather than 10%.

This must be one of the worst bits of business ever conducted by the club.

Hands up people here who'd get the sack if they just wasted their employer £1.75m.

Not if i’d made £23m elsewhere!!!

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It was Aaron Brown who crossed the ball onto Thorpe’s head vs the gas...

Thanks mate. Dear dear. That's three bollocks dropped in one day! Better get up the monkey hospital.

Tell you what. I'm going to start again:

Being a lazy sod didn't prevent Aaron Brown playing 190 times for Bristol City

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

From players whose presence at the club had nothing to do with you...

I don't think that defence works.

I didn’t want to go down that line ?

That’s another debate in itself....one I’ve been pretty critical about.  We are now starting to see playing churn within LJ’s reign, Mags, Djúric, Engvall that don’t look good on paper.  Brownhill especially, and O’Dowda to a lesser extent look like they would make decent money.  So we can start to judge LJ on the players he’s brought in and subsequently sold.  It’s mixed!!

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t want to go down that line ?

That’s another debate in itself....one I’ve been pretty critical about.  We are now starting to see playing churn within LJ’s reign, Mags, Djúric, Engvall that don’t look good on paper.  Brownhill especially, and O’Dowda to a lesser extent look like they would make decent money.  So we can start to judge LJ on the players he’s brought in and subsequently sold.  It’s mixed!!

I blame our Chief Operating Officer more for the transfer missteps than Lee.

Perhaps we can reduce his suit allowance in an attempt to recoup some of the money wasted...   ;)

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

Being a lazy sod didn't prevent Aaron Brown playing 190 times for Bristol City

Arguably the most talented individual we've produced in 3 decades. The kid had an outstanding touch and was technically far, far too good for us. Never forget Wycombe away ( his brother featured as well I think) when I was the last around trying to defend him in the face of an onslaught of abuse (another of his many 'off days'.) Older fella in front of me agreed, with the caveat that no matter what he displayed in training and the occasional flash of utter brilliance, he simply couldn't reproduce it with regularity when it mattered. Transpired it was Aaron's dad.

I'd have also done my life savings on Marvin having turned out for us 19 times. My spread would have been 2-3.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I blame our Chief Operating Officer more for the transfer missteps than Lee.

Perhaps we can reduce his suit allowance in an attempt to recoup some of the money wasted...   ;)

Yeah, by LJ, I include MA and SL too.  Having said that from what I've heard, LJ much more say this summer!!

Recruitment isn’t easy though.  

Haven’t seen the games yet (on hols), but pre-season I was really happy with:

• Weimann
  • Hunt

excited by:

• Eisa

hopeful that:

• Watkins would be an inspired ex-LJ player signing
  • Webster would fit in alongside Baker

Didnt know much about:

• Adelakun 
  • Mäenpää 

Can’t wait to appraise each (otter than the injured Adelakun) at the end of Sept.

Scenario...

You are a footballer plying your trade in a foreign country and doing well.

British Club notices you...and value is considered a lot less than what you could buy in England.

You don't want to move as happy playing in Sweden and have no desire to leave, as happy there with life, family, girlfriend etc ( not every football has the desire to get right to the top, most want the most money for doing as little as possible )

The Club speak to you about coming over and playing, offer a good amount, and it seems too good to be true...

You tell the club everything they want to hear...they've seen you play, you are settled and have no major social problems and fit with their 'DNA'...and you tell them everything they want to hear...'desire, ambition, want to better yourself, want to to play in UK etc, etc...who hasn't done that in an interview for a job?

Then you put in as little amount of effort as possible, say you have problems adjusting...homesick etc.

Whatever the club do or say you are not motivated, knowing you are going to get paid handsomely and will be still a hit back home in Sweden...so no problem getting another contract in the future.

Quids in...a few years out of your life and made a few bucks on the way.

Happens....

And every Club and business in life can get done by it...you can't really do anything about it.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I see Diony scored yesterday + got an assist and had a good pre-season. Wouldn’t it be typical if he has a great season after he’s left the club.

Think he got a few in pre-season too.

Perhaps his strengths didn't mesh with ours...while ago, I suggested he may have been a big fish in a small pond at Dijon, team built around him, to service him so he can save them that kinda thing.

Whereas here, totally different scenario- an unnecessary signing here in some ways. Doubt St Etienne would change their game to suit him though, decent sized club with Europa League aspirations.

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

Scenario...

British Club notices you...and value is considered a lot less than what you could buy in England.

You don't want to move as happy playing in Sweden and have no desire to leave, as happy there with life, family, girlfriend etc ( not every football has the desire to get right to the top, most want the most money for doing as little as possible )

The Club speak to you about coming over and playing, offer a good amount, and it seems too good to be true...

You tell the club everything they want to hear...they've seen you play, you are settled and have no major social problems and fit with their 'DNA'...and you tell them everything they want to hear...'desire, ambition, want to better yourself, want to to play in UK etc, etc...who hasn't done that in an interview for a job?

Then you put in as little amount of effort as possible, say you have problems adjusting...homesick etc.

Whatever the club do or say you are not motivated, knowing you are going to get paid handsomely and will be still a hit back home in Sweden...so no problem getting another contract in the future.

Happens....

And every Club and business in life can get done by it...you can't really do anything about it.

Amazing if true. 

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Amazing if true. 

Not saying it's the case in this instance...but it does happen, especially with players coming in from abroad.

It also happens with British players.

It's difficult for some fans to see it sometimes...but it literally is a job for some players, they've known nothing else, and it's the norm.

They become numb to the outside world having lived in a bubble most of their life.

Imagine being in your 20's again, having spent most of your life playing football and being pampered.

They aren't going to see it like a bloke who's worked most of his life grafting and supporting a club as a way of getting out of their normal working bubble.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Not saying it's the case in this instance...but it does happen, especially with players coming in from abroad.

It also happens with British players.

It's difficult for some fans to see it sometimes...but it literally is a job for some players, they've known nothing else, and it's the norm.

They become numb to the outside world having lived in a bubble most of their life.

Imagine being in your 20's again, having spent most of your life playing football and being pampered.

They aren't going to see it like a bloke who's worked most of his life grafting and supporting a club as a way of getting out of their normal working bubble.

Agree with this.  Players have different motivations.  

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with this.  Players have different motivations.  

Exactly mate...and as supporters, it's often something many forget to take into consideration.

However much we see a footballer as a privileged life, it isn't. For every football fan that wants to be a footballer...their are just as many that despise football and wouldn't want a footballers life regardless of how much you got paid.

I'd hate to be a professional footballer...golfer maybe...but screw playing football for a living.

19 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Amazing if true. 

Of course it’s true! It could have applied to Dionsy and a scenario could apply to any foreign player who fails to impress in England.

I know it was a few years ago but Ian Rush went to Italy after leaving Liverpool and was a flop.......it happens.

57 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Arguably the most talented individual we've produced in 3 decades. The kid had an outstanding touch and was technically far, far too good for us. Never forget Wycombe away ( his brother featured as well I think) when I was the last around trying to defend him in the face of an onslaught of abuse (another of his many 'off days'.) Older fella in front of me agreed, with the caveat that no matter what he displayed in training and the occasional flash of utter brilliance, he simply couldn't reproduce it with regularity when it mattered. Transpired it was Aaron's dad.

I'd have also done my life savings on Marvin having turned out for us 19 times. My spread would have been 2-3.

Absolutely agree about Aaron's unreliable brilliance (and I apologise to anyone who took offence at me calling him lazy. It's not the right word, it's more like "appearing to look like they can't be bothered today") How about the overhead at Grimsby Town that took us top with 10 consecutive wins? Also feel the same about Jet and for that matter Jantzen Derrick, who somehow was able to go missing for what seemed the whole game on occasions. How times change. Some of us love these flair genii precisely because they are flawed.

Going back to my original point about a player very unlike the above, why can't our football club, with all the additional knowhow we have now as opposed to in Jantzen's day, find a way to work with a full International player who cost us 2 and a quarter million quid?

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

You are so right. Mate of mine was friendly with a Rovers player a few years back (lived next door to him). Regularly played golf together and sometimes he would say "sorry mate, can't make it - have to go to work". Until then it never occurred to me that a professional footballer would regard training and playing football as work. 

27 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

, find a way to work with a full International player who cost us 2 and a quarter million quid?

Because these days being a full international and costing upward of £2m has the same kudos as my having a cycling proficiency badge......

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Scenario...

Happens....

My gut instinct says your very near the mark Spud.......

Its quite possible though Gus was missing home initially-weve all been there,but its up to you to keep busy,integrate & enjoy the experience, make it happen...

Gus didn't want it enough.

20 hours ago, kivsy said:

A complete shambles from beginning to end , copious loan spells , wasted a couple of years of his career and millions of pounds. 

Yet the club , Johnson and Ashton are not accountable ? 

The new trend among fans is to back the club regardless of any shortcomings 

Im sure they are accountable and no doubt had a bit of explaining in the debrief to SL why they wasted his money.

None of us on here have a clue what on behind the scenes as to why it did not work out. As much as I would love to know the inside out detail of all matters connected with the club, what went wrong with the transfers, why did we fall away last year, the real world is you cannot wash your laundry in public.

Perhaps I am one of these new young fans who just backs the club no matter what, or I could be a season ticket holder of 35 years and know they can't get it right all the time and for those failures we also have successes.

On 11/08/2018 at 12:12, Redland said:

I agree. It's a fact of life that some transfers don't work out but I don't understand signing an International player for £2.5 million  and then offloading him without even giving him a chance in the team. If LJ thought he was that useless in training it begs the question why he was ever signed in the first place.

I recall him starting at home in an early cup game. In fairness he didn’t look any better or worse than our other strikers. Considering he probably hadn’t played for a year it wasn’t a bad performance. I can’t comment on the reported 250k as I don’t know. However this has to be up there with the most pointless signings of the last few years. 

On 11/08/2018 at 14:31, southvillekiddy said:

Hang on a minute. Do you fancy going into business? We can make a fortune helping highly paid not very bright bench-warming Premiership players achieve an understanding with Football Clubs who are equally clueless about how human beings function???

eg. "My inglish not very good. The boss he say to me when I sign, you are a great player. You play every week up front. He give me a swedish/english dictionary and he say he have a english/swedish dictionary and he say everything is swinging. Next week he say to me, you shit on the training, you grow 8 inches very quick and play in goal or you can **** off back to Sweden"

You'll need to send me some of your DNA for testing and screening before I entertain this idea any further.

All I will add though, is this. We could cultivate a potential yeild-generating multi-faceted enterprising conceptual service, which in turn could gear-up for a dividentially prosperous investment portfolio for anyone who was forward thinking and delivery focussed.

Oh no wait, sorry. Wrong sales pitch. That's actually what MA said to Engvall's agent. 

1 hour ago, reformed_red said:

You'll need to send me some of your DNA for testing and screening before I entertain this idea any further.

All I will add though, is this. We could cultivate a potential yeild-generating multi-faceted enterprising conceptual service, which in turn could gear-up for a dividentially prosperous investment portfolio for anyone who was forward thinking and delivery focussed.

Oh no wait, sorry. Wrong sales pitch. That's actually what MA said to Engvall's agent. 

Look mate. For goodness sake don't muck about, don't hold back. Ashton or a Premiership CEO won't be impressed by anything too obvious like that. I thought you'd graduated from the Harvard Business School of Smarm, Slimy Suits, Bollocks and Bullshit??

(By the way there's nothing wrong with my goolies, DNA or whatever. Brought up on my Mum's faggots and Natch)

Archived