IGNORED

It's time to support not slaughter.

barneyrubble

7 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I really dont understand the divine right a large majority of this football club seem to think we have to win every single game I am trying to put my finger on when it manifested.. We compete in the championship and we will continue to work towards continual improvement as demonstrated year on year. Some people would enjoy the ride a lot more if they remembered a time when this feeling of divine right wasn't rife through the fan base, the team would get a lot more support and ironically we would probably do better on the pitch.

The second irony being that the majority of these people with short fuses on performance and expectations at the moment are no doubt ones who 'hark back to the glory days' of football when you could stand/swear/get in a fight and hate everything about modern football, however the short-termism of football these days, expecting a new manager to come in and work magic and win every game seems to of been one property of modern football they have well and truly embraced

Johnson supports are called deluded, but often irony is missed by the stupid.

Lost me at 'divine right', I believe we should have done better with the resources at our disposal in 2018.  Another apologist with low expectations.

4 hours ago, kmpowell said:

1. We took the eye off the ball and got carried away with that meaningless cup nonsense in December last year.

Whilst there is validity in saying we took our eye off the ball, I certainly won't label that night against Man Utd as 'meaningless cup nonsense'. Football is in a weird state of affairs if we relegate genuine nights of cup magic as pointless, and slavishly obsess over league progress above all else. If people want LJ out, fine, but that cup run was bloody brilliant I thank him for it

12 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Lost me at 'divine right', I believe we should have done better with the resources at our disposal in 2018.  Another apologist with low expectations.

I actually have high expectations and hopes for my club, and the minimum i would hope for is 100% from players  and managers each week, which I think I probably am getting.

I wouldn't call myself an apologist.. maybe more a realist who wants to enjoy going to the football abit more than I currently do - a large part of this lack of enjoyment I feel is due to people throughout our fan base who have delusions of grandeur and a vendetta against LJ. 

Support your team.

Maybe I sit in an unusually quiet part of the ground, but I didn't really hear any booing. There's a  sort of miserable moan, a collective groan that you hear every time we lose - even if the side is generally doing well - but that isn't the same as booing the players or manager.

Much noisier was applause for the players who acknowledged the crowd.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is interesting.

Touched upon it on another thread- not so much the 'glory days of football' element, but it seems to me- perhaps it's linked to the cost of tickets and wages for players now, but it seems as fans perhaps we expect more than hope.

By which I mean, the chicken and egg scenario...who should take the initiative. Should the fans in a game in which we are technically underdogs take the lead and get right noisy, create a hostile, partisan atmosphere for the players to feed off, or should it be that a quick start by the players gets the fans going?  

Used (by which I mean not so long ago) to be more of the former, now it seems to be shifting towards the latter.

Don't think Pulis got a particularly hostile reception either which surprised me.

Think you might be right here, our first season in the championship 07/08 as huge underdogs was magnificent and I cant remember a time I enjoyed following city more, and this wasn't strictly due to results. there was a feeling of togetherness that seems to be so fleeting are hard to find these days (especially at city!)

22 minutes ago, RumRed said:

We should have made top 6 last season from where we were on Boxing Day. No guarantee we would have won playoffs but we should have made them IMO.

However we were underdogs Saturday, and throw in injuries, churn, questionable tactics and the loss of the 3 key players and a defeat wasn't a great surprise, was it?

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

My Boss would call me into the office and tell me the aspects of my performance that need to improve. As a 50 year old bloke he wouldn’t stand there like a dick and boo at me when I finish work at the end of the day!!

Criticism on here is fine, it’s a forum but seeing grown men booing other grown men who possess about 500 times the talent is a bit childish and, as wrong as it is, you can see why footballers get into the trap of thinking fans are mugs who pay to watch them, especially when they have the name of said player on the back of their shirt ?

No, because he's able to talk to you directly. Fan don't get that opportunity to vent our frustrations.

Also I don't know about you but 18,000 people don't pay good money to watch me work!

1 minute ago, Fjmcity said:

Think you might be right here, our first season in the championship 07/08 as huge underdogs was magnificent and I cant remember a time I enjoyed following city more, and this wasn't strictly due to results. there was a feeling of togetherness that seems to be so fleeting are hard to find these days (especially at city!)

It was brilliant that year. Absolutely brilliant- the Johnson bounce, always believe- as you say not purely results, I think a lot of realistic fans that year would have settled for midtable, perhaps even mere survival-- my first full season was 98/99 and that was my only experience of City in the Championship- we went well over and beyond that year relative to expectations I'd suggest.

Think it's also the redevelopment of the ground that could play a part, means suddenly some people might expect us to be in and around top 6-when we are actually still playing catch up(fast tracking maybe) when competing with clubs who have had this infrastructure, extra revenue for 10-20 years- maybe more!

2 hours ago, pillred said:

we do appear to be doing things on the cheap (relatively) and we know how that usually turns out! 

I get the sentiment, but we laud the Brentford’s, the Preston’s recruitment...that’s exactly what they do...do it on the cheap.

Perhaps they are better at identifying those players that fit their system better.  

Perhaps they are better at identifying players full stop.  We’ve been bitten by Sweden, they’ve done Scandinavia and Ireland better.

imho, we have signed a very decent RB for £1.5m (Hunt).  I’ve seen him a fair bit over the years, and bar the goal on Saturday he showed the kind of RB performance I think fans will really like over the season.  £1.5m is good value, taking advantage of SW’s financial situation.

Imho, Weimann at £2m is a snip.  Hard to say at this point whether his goals and performances will overshadow Reid’s, but he has the pedigree to be better.  Early performances and 2 in 3 in very encouraging.

Webster, I really haven’t seen much of prior to his transfer.  He looked nice on the ball on Saturday, but he worried me defensively. But that was one game against a tough opponent.  Will continue to monitor his performances - got the makings of a good player though.

We are along the right lines, and I think we added a good youngster in Adelakun and similarly for Eisa (I think £1.5m was too high, but hey-ho), Mäenpää on a free, Watkins for £1m.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We should have made top 6 last season from where we were on Boxing Day. No guarantee we would have won playoffs but we should have made them IMO.

However we were underdogs Saturday, and throw in injuries, churn, questionable tactics and the loss of the 3 key players and a defeat wasn't a great surprise, was it?

No it was inevitable, that's what was tragic.

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Maybe I sit in an unusually quiet part of the ground, but I didn't really hear any booing. There's a  sort of miserable moan, a collective groan that you hear every time we lose - even if the side is generally doing well - but that isn't the same as booing the players or manager.

I heard halfhearted booing, just a bit. More mumbles of discontent really. I think people accepted it was Middlesborough who will probably be in the top 6 all season so didn’t join in. But I have no doubt by the time we play at home again if we haven’t picked up points or raised the performance people won’t be quite so patient against Blackburn.

ive never booed, and I’ve never walked out. I’ll clap if it’s deserved, if not I do my own silent indifference. I know booing can’t help but players and Management are all too ready to lap up the applause after a win they have to expect a show of displeasure and face that after a powderpuff loss.

51 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

My Boss would call me into the office and tell me the aspects of my performance that need to improve. As a 50 year old bloke he wouldn’t stand there like a dick and boo at me when I finish work at the end of the day!!

Criticism on here is fine, it’s a forum but seeing grown men booing other grown men who possess about 500 times the talent is a bit childish and, as wrong as it is, you can see why footballers get into the trap of thinking fans are mugs who pay to watch them, especially when they have the name of said player on the back of their shirt ?

It’s football, it’s passionate.  If I’m happy with what I’m seeing I’ll sing, cheer and clap.  If I’m disheartened then I’ll boo.  We are Bristol City, why should our fans react differently to anyone else up and down the country.  Do yo think Newcastle fans sit on their hands when things are going wrong. It’s the interaction,  passion and hope that as fans we can make a difference, force charge that makes me feel like it’s my club 

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I heard halfhearted booing, just a bit. More mumbles of discontent really. I think people accepted it was Middlesborough who will probably be in the top 6 all season so didn’t join in. But I have no doubt by the time we play at home again if we haven’t picked up points or raised the performance people won’t be quite so patient against Blackburn.

ive never booed, and I’ve never walked out. I’ll clap if it’s deserved, if not I do my own silent indifference. I know booing can’t help but players and Management are all too ready to lap up the applause after a win they have to expect a show of displeasure and face that after a powderpuff loss.

Pretty much my POV, M.

I don't boo, but we pays our money and come to be entertained.

Losing to a tough Boro side when we're in the middle of an injury/suspension crisis was not unexpected. It's just when we appear not to be trying that I leave the ground in a silent fury and go home and slam the door and kick the dog*. We don't even have a dog, so I have to borrow one.

* I don't really ;)

5 hours ago, Barney red said:

Ok Saturday showed we are nowhere near a top 6 club but with all the changes and injuries it was no big surprise. 

I have always felt proud to be a city fan even during far worse times than now.

People booing is frankly embarrassing and shows zero loyalty and even less understanding of the situation. 

We need to give them time to sort injuries get our centre forward back and let new players settle.

However bad the situation it is far better to support than criticise to turn the situation round .If you are having a bad day at work i know which option is preferable. 

We as a club need to recognise we have no right to success and accept that everyone in this league is competitive. 

Our support will get us through our criticism will only destroy what we have.

Do you not think other clubs have had changes and injuries as well,  people booing or criticising is there right or maybe we are supposed to just sit down and bow down because its our club. You and others seem to be putting a lot on getting our "centre forward back" sorry mate that's just not it, even if he can hit the ground running and keep injury free ....he scored 13 last season, many defensive lapses and baffling team selections are also responsible.

Comes back down to the manager and his clan not buying the best available, and not having them ready...or did they just go to Spain on a jolly;

Were you also posting a while back about the new improved depth we now have? where exactly is that depth?

58 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

I really dont understand the divine right a large majority of this football club seem to think we have to win every single game I am trying to put my finger on when it manifested.. We compete in the championship and we will continue to work towards continual improvement as demonstrated year on year. Some people would enjoy the ride a lot more if they remembered a time when this feeling of divine right wasn't rife through the fan base, the team would get a lot more support and ironically we would probably do better on the pitch.

The second irony being that the majority of these people with short fuses on performance and expectations at the moment are no doubt ones who 'hark back to the glory days' of football when you could stand/swear/get in a fight and hate everything about modern football, however the short-termism of football these days, expecting a new manager to come in and work magic and win every game seems to of been one property of modern football they have well and truly embraced

Johnson supports are called deluded, but often irony is missed by the stupid.

We dont

...................But a few more than 4 in 28 would be nice

I assume from your post you havnt supported City that long

As for the last bit

’ Johnson supports are called deluded, but often irony is missed by the stupid. ‘

Im obviously one of the stupid ,  because that sentence doesn’t make sense ?

Ohhhhh .........and one final thing.......

You can laugh and sneer at fans and the ‘Glory days’ 

Unfortunately the irony (You like that word) is , the jokes on you-  mithering about not enjoying your current experience

I and many on here had a fantastic time , thanks  the best ’, and the level of enjoyment and fun from football I confidently predict you never will

:thumbsup:

PS. You’d also enjoy it more if we did win a few more games ... might be worth thinking about 

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We dont

...................But a few more than 4 in 28 would be nice

I assume from your post you havnt supported City that long

As for the last bit

’ Johnson supports are called deluded, but often irony is missed by the stupid. ‘

Im obviously one of the stupid ,  because that sentence doesn’t make sense ?

’ 

I’ve supported city for a quarter of a century is that enough to qualify for comment? not that it matters much.

I agree our current run is not great but I fundamentally disagree with the mass hysteria that surrounds it.

the irony is that supporters of the current regime are called deluded and dismissed. however the delusions - mainly of entitlement and grandeur exist in the other faction - my point being that these people that are relentless negative of everything the club do and don’t do are doing so much to bring down the morale of supporters and in turn, the club. 

We have a decent championship team, we most likely cannot afford to - without a shit or bust situation assemble anything but this, however this is the championship and anything can happen when a club pulls together.

40 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As an aside, a LOT of that applause - at least from where I stood - was for Flinty.  I didn't boo but I was frustrated at not being able to make it clear my clapping was not for the team also passing in front of me but for Flint behind them in the middle of the park.

Yes they tried, but I couldn't clap them off after a display like that (whether their fault or SL/LJs).

Among those I sit with we have reached the point of respecting SL's approach to finances, for stability and ground development, while also beginning to realise that the model we are following is unlikely to work sadly.  Football as it is in this country is perhaps unlike any other business that SL would surely excel at; I feel that we need to speculate to accumulate in this industry which means gambling against FFP and spending on wages/signing on fees. Just my opinion but I don't see how we can develop if we sell our best players and bring in the same level or worse.  

Feeling pretty disillusioned at the moment.

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Competed with Boro? 

Do you really believe that we did? 

To me it seemed like the big kids at school, taking the dinner money off the first year infants. We huffed and puffed a bit in the second half but we're Boro ever in any real danger if conceding. 

Well Mr Pulis certainly thought they were under pressure second half so will go with his experienced managerial trained eye rather than yours. Obviously you didn’t see us hit the woodwork twice and force their keeper and defence to block numerous strikes at their goal

1 minute ago, Fjmcity said:

I’ve supported city for a quarter of a century is that enough to qualify for comment? not that it matters much.

I agree our current run is not great but I fundamentally disagree with the mass hysteria that surrounds it.

the irony is that supporters of the current regime are called deluded and dismissed. however the delusions - mainly of entitlement and grandeur exist in the other faction - my point being that these people that are relentless negative of everything the club do and don’t do are doing so much to bring down the morale of supporters and in turn, the club. 

We have a decent championship team, we most likely can not afford to - without a shit or bust situation assemble anything but this, however this is the championship and anything can happen when a club pulls together.

I’d suggest that

( 12 months or so after our completing a the Record breaking run of defeats in our history)

it’s 4 wins in 27 , 28 or whatever it is and selling 3 of our best and iconic players from last season and before in JB and AF and  some pitiful performances to boot ,    that has brought the morale down

but hey lets defend LJ and his merry band at every moment and blame the supporters for the morale 

15 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

We have a decent championship team, we most likely cannot afford to - without a shit or bust situation assemble anything but this, however this is the championship and anything can happen when a club pulls together.

We're all City supporters, but I take issue with your starting point. I'm critical of the current regime, I don't think SL has been a very successful football club owner - it's his personality and the decisions he makes, not his resources. The ground looks great but he has largely failed, over 20 years, to invest in backroom staff with experience to deliver success on the pitch. Cotts and GJ were the notable, and wonderful, exceptions. He more usually appoints yes men, the club is currently led by them. They satisfy what SL wants but not what a successful football club needs. In my opinion.

All of that has no relation to 'entitlement and grandeur'. I was perfectly happy to watch City play in Division 4. What I read on here is informed criticism born of frustration to make the most of the club's opportunities...sadly I don't think any of it influences what happens in the Boardroom at Ashton Gate, or performances on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’d suggest that

( 12 months or so after our completing a the Record breaking run of defeats in our history)

it’s 4 wins in 27 , 28 or whatever it is and selling 3 of our best and iconic players from last season and before in JB and AF and  some pitiful performances to boot ,    that has brought the morale down

but hey lets defend LJ and his merry band at every moment and blame the supporters for the morale 

The comment regarding selling of these players (in particular these players that have gone on to better things) and inability to get past the normal workings of a football club really underlines the problem I have.

Not defending LJ, nor do I even know if he is the right man -  the run is poor but I am not sure the guy can do anything right in the eyes of some supporters and this is the problem. Maybe thats just who city fans are these days and the next bloke wouldn't even stand a chance either.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, I'm for real. Sixty eight years I've supported City. I've smelt relegation seven times in those years and at this moment, I can smell another one coming unless some drastic changes are made. 

Boro cruised through that match. Never in trouble and even if we'd nicked a goal, they would almost certainly have scored a third. 

Can you smell who’s going up and down in every division please il get down the bookies later 

6 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

You mention if you are having a bad day at work, if you were being paid a very impressive wage but kept turning bad performances day in day out. What do you think would happen to you?

You would probably be disciplined by your employers, but NOT be booed at by middle-aged men, acting like petulant teenagers, and then expected to work (play) better.

It's counter-productive, LJ is a long way from going from the club, so booing him, and the players, will make the club far less of an attractive proposition to a prospective new manager in the future, than a club where the fans acknowledge a number of abject displays, however they've remained behind the team.

I wish we were playing better, but I'm damned sure booing is not helping one bit.

16 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

As an aside, a LOT of that applause - at least from where I stood - was for Flinty.  I didn't boo but I was frustrated at not being able to make it clear my clapping was not for the team also passing in front of me but for Flint behind them in the middle of the park.

Yes they tried, but I couldn't clap them off after a display like that (whether their fault or SL/LJs).

Among those I sit with we have reached the point of respecting SL's approach to finances, for stability and ground development, while also beginning to realise that the model we are following is unlikely to work sadly.  Football as it is in this country is perhaps unlike any other business that SL would surely excel at; I feel that we need to speculate to accumulate in this industry which means gambling against FFP and spending on wages/signing on fees. Just my opinion but I don't see how we can develop if we sell our best players and bring in the same level or worse.  

Feeling pretty disillusioned at the moment.

This may be something we all need to acknowledge that increasingly we will need to be very lucky to get to the Prem, if we follow our current model. Unless our long term owner sells out to a fantistically well funded foreign buyer and we are left bankrupt on 5 years. Bristol City (2023) Ltd anyone??

22 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

This may be something we all need to acknowledge that increasingly we will need to be very lucky to get to the Prem, if we follow our current model. Unless our long term owner sells out to a fantistically well funded foreign buyer and we are left bankrupt on 5 years. Bristol City (2023) Ltd anyone??

This is of course a risk.  Personally, if someone came in offering to throw cash at us I'd be seriously tempted. I want Premiership football at the end of the day. Note, I say tempted. I am not sure.

5 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Where to begin?

Please explain if you bought a season ticket in March and you are not happy with the summer transfer dealings, Chuckle Brothers football and relegation form how I should address my concerns to  the club.

Relegation form ? It’s 3 games in for goodness sake. Man up a bit dude

A win tomorrow night we will be about ninth or something having played two of the favourites for the top 6. About Par. I recognise 2018 had been poor but don’t accept that is how it will be. LJ had us playing the best footy I’ve seen at AG last year and I believe we will get it back again. 

I also don’t understand how you can be not happy with the transfers - far too early to judge. If you are still upset about the trio going then you should have expected it. Everyone knew JB BR and AF would be gone last December. Moneyball

Get behind the boys - don’t criticise so much. The negative atmosphere rubs off on the players. Why spend money on something and be pissed off ?

Get behind the lads - Inspire them to be better - COYR

17 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Relegation form ? It’s 3 games in for goodness sake. Man up a bit dude

A win tomorrow night we will be about ninth or something having played two of the favourites for the top 6. About Par. I recognise 2018 had been poor but don’t accept that is how it will be. LJ had us playing the best footy I’ve seen at AG last year and I believe we will get it back again. 

I also don’t understand how you can be not happy with the transfers - far too early to judge. If you are still upset about the trio going then you should have expected it. Everyone knew JB BR and AF would be gone last December. Moneyball

Get behind the boys - don’t criticise so much. The negative atmosphere rubs off on the players. Why spend money on something and be pissed off ?

Get behind the lads - Inspire them to be better - COYR

I  admire your Charlie Parker approach to grammar, breaking with convention at will.

If you think everything in the garden is rosy that is fine, I happen to hold a different opinion .

Archived