IGNORED

Andreas Weimann Utter Class

REDOXO

3 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

A few weeks back I suggested this bloke should have a thread in his own right.  Glad their is one now.  The irony is, and let’s be honest, how many supporters had ever heard of him before he joined us ? 

I will admit I said ‘who’ ?  

Certainly know who he is now ?

I think most fans with a reasonable following if the game knew exactly who he was.  Unfortunately too many posters look at Wikipedia stats / goals per game and dismiss someone.

Interesting Read from Gregor’s transcript of their post-match interview with Lee....about Andreas:

Is Weimann a bit of an unfulfilled talent for you?

At the moment we're trying to pull rabbits out of the hats because of the cost - trying to negotiate with Derby and Mark Ashton talking to them - for god sake don't tell them that we're going to play him as a striker.

Last time he played up front through the middle was with Villa in the Prem and he got 12 goals.

So I think he's got everything. He's a bit scruffy every now and again and he's been at big clubs so he keeps being shifted out wide.

But it's a numbers game. If he keeps getting into good areas then we can work on the certain techniques that will help him get even more goals.

And it just cements that he gets the reward for his work rate. The QPR goal the other day was unbelievable. A throw-in was flicked on just inside the opposition half and four seconds later he's nodded it in for a diving header at the back post.

His mum was a 400m sprinter for Austria and his dad was too so he's got an athletic family and it's good to see that in a team like ours.

11 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

A few weeks back I suggested this bloke should have a thread in his own right.  Glad their is one now.  The irony is, and let’s be honest, how many supporters had ever heard of him before he joined us ? 

I will admit I said ‘who’ ?  

Certainly know who he is now ?

I think everyone knew who he was tbh mate 

What I like about the Wiemann transfer is the fact that he's been identified as someone with specific attributes (work rate and movement) that will allow him to slot effortlessly into the team. It's not one of those 'well Nakhi Wells scored a few goals a couple of seasons ago' type transfers. This is a good sign and shows that some of this much heralded technical stats analaysis stuff is starting to pay off. It seems to me that we've got some good years ahead to look forward to. Bring it on!!

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think most fans with a reasonable following if the game knew exactly who he was.  Unfortunately too many posters look at Wikipedia stats / goals per game and dismiss someone.

Interesting Read from Gregor’s transcript of their post-match interview with Lee....about Andreas:

Is Weimann a bit of an unfulfilled talent for you?

At the moment we're trying to pull rabbits out of the hats because of the cost - trying to negotiate with Derby and Mark Ashton talking to them - for god sake don't tell them that we're going to play him as a striker.

Last time he played up front through the middle was with Villa in the Prem and he got 12 goals.

So I think he's got everything. He's a bit scruffy every now and again and he's been at big clubs so he keeps being shifted out wide.

But it's a numbers game. If he keeps getting into good areas then we can work on the certain techniques that will help him get even more goals.

And it just cements that he gets the reward for his work rate. The QPR goal the other day was unbelievable. A throw-in was flicked on just inside the opposition half and four seconds later he's nodded it in for a diving header at the back post.

His mum was a 400m sprinter for Austria and his dad was too so he's got an athletic family and it's good to see that in a team like ours.

So...the right DNA...

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

What movement for the goal 

shall we just keep this thread going and hopefully we can just add to it every week!!??

Was it not a Taylor shot hitting a defender and bouncing off Weimanns heel then ? :dunno:

11 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

And next game we could see Andi and Fammy together ?

all i would say to that is if it aint broke,dont fix it. fammy might have to wait a bit next game to get on the pitch,it would be a bit unfair to split taylor and AW just because fammys available.a few weeks ago, I was hoping taylor would get loaned out,hes earned a reprieve and definitely not a bench place after his last two games

Just now, Bri Stool City said:

Was it not a Taylor shot hitting a defender and bouncing off Weimanns heel then ? :dunno:

Yep, watch Weimanns movement in creating the space and then the only player to attack the zone where the ball would end up. 

Foitball is about reading the space we have and the space we need to create. Watch his movement against Bolton. Only player to read the exact space we needed to exploit, pack also read the run perfectly.

Intelligence and movement head and shoulders above this level.

Keep watching him.

its a joy.

9 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

I think it was more than the winning the ball getting it out to Elliason and being in the middle for the finish, inside 30 seconds (cakey no doubt) he was thinking about!

From a Derby mate, about people signing up to their forum to tell them about Weimann ?

One guy who made a thread after his 4th goal has returned to tell us we've, "missed a trick there," with selling him and another has made a new thread today asking why we sold him. Pass this message on to the OTIB forum when you next go on - "we sold him because he's in the last year of his contract and we were bringing in Harry Wilson. I really doubt he'd be suited to playing as a lone striker and we haven't used a system with 2 up front in at least 5 or 6 years whereas you play with 2 up top I believe? He never got a chance up front for us because during his time here we've had Martin and Vydra who scored goals for fun when at their best, so he was never getting in ahead of them. And we're all very happy he's doing well for you, he was sort of a fan favourite here because of his work rate and attitude, but it was probably the right time for both us and him to move on, so you don't need to tell us we messed up selling him. You got a good player for cheap as chips and we got a fee for someone who'd be our 4th or 5th choice winger instead of losing him for nowt next year. A good deal for both of us.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Let’s remember this thread when he hits a dry spell and people are seeing he’s hopeless

But he is not just a goal hanger. He works extremely hard so even when he gets to his barren striker's spell as he surely will, he will be helping others to get goals. He is what I would call, a good, honest pro.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Yep, watch Weimanns movement in creating the space and then the only player to attack the zone where the ball would end up. 

Foitball is about reading the space we have and the space we need to create. Watch his movement against Bolton. Only player to read the exact space we needed to exploit, pack also read the run perfectly.

Intelligence and movement head and shoulders above this level.

Keep watching him.

its a joy.

This absolutely a hundred times over. I could watch his first goal at QPR all day. Exceptional work.

I can’t remember the last time we had a forward with this level of game intelligence.

His movement off the ball is sublime for this level, his use of the ball is great, and finishing is a lot about confidence which has got to be sky high now.

Add his workrate and attitude in and we have one hell of a player.

Maybe from what I’ve seen so far as well one of those elusive leaders as well....certainly has plenty to say during the game.

Just looking at his goal today you can tell we’ve got a striker on our hands. Pass out wide and first thought is getting in front of his defender. 

Against QPR. Moved a yard off the CB giving him all the time he needed to guide his header back across goal. 

I also think he offers a better finish than bobby as well. If the ball fell to him or bobby on the edge of the box I’d have my money on Weimann to score over Bobby 

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

A couple of my non City mates (they do exist) can not believe he is with us and we got him for chump change relatively speaking!

That is true like I said at the time 2 mill is nothing to us when we spent more on foreigners that have been and gone in the last few years,I have said that he won’t be a man who will get us 20 goals but at the moment he’s proving me wrong and I’m delighted to be wrong 

13 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

And next game we could see Andi and Fammy together ?

Could be a very potent force if they get going as a pair. Weimann should get a lot more space and pick up Fammys flick ons and Lay offs.

Hope LJ starts them both against Blackburn 

13 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

One way to look at it, but I think the point is that it's the sort of runs that Weismann makes that leaves defenders stumbling over themselves and on the back foot (so that the ball hits them rather than the other way round). And let's not under estimate how good Eliasson was yesterday, putting the ball exactly where those defenders least wanted it. Not the only time he didn't that, and two free kicks were just perfect. 

18 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Could be a very potent force if they get going as a pair. Weimann should get a lot more space and pick up Fammys flick ons and Lay offs.

Hope LJ starts them both against Blackburn 

Or it could upset how we’ve started and Weimann’s goals could dry up. I think we would start with the same team and Fam would get time from the bench. 4 goals and 2 clean sheets deserve an unchanged side and it will give LJ time to ease Fam back in.

very exciting potential pairing though.

Archived