IGNORED

What are you expecting?

Tipps69

We don’t spend huge sums on players wages (compared to a fair few in the division) & we don’t spend huge sums on transfer fees (compared to a fair few in the division) but we compete & for the money we spend, we are probably doing just about what should be expected of us.

Now, if we were to spend a bit more on both players wages & incoming transfer fees, would we be entitled to expect more consistency & expect to win a few more games than what we’re expecting to win at the moment?

Surely that’s what you’d expect for your money (as a club owner / manager), more consistency & better quality players but things aren’t as simple as that, spending more money on wages & transfer fees doesn’t entitle you to anything  because that’s the beauty of football & sport.

I could maybe understand why supporters expect so much if all of a sudden we started throwing money around like Man City in fairly recent history but we haven’t, yes we’ve spent a bit more & our wage bill has supposedly risen but that’s just gone along with the way the market is, our record transfer fee still isn’t ‘big’ in Championship terms & our wages are no where near being up there with the highest payers so I struggle to understand why there are such high expectations on us by some supporters.

Yes there are clubs of our size that have made it to the Premier League on comparatively similar budgets but there are also the perceived ‘bigger’ clubs that have fallen from grace & spent a bit of time in League One in recent seasons & again, that is the joy of football & sport, if everything was done on club size & budget, it would all be very boring because everyone would already know who was going to win & lose.

We have a group of players who have been assembled on a relatively small budget, who look like they will get better over the next few seasons & there’s no knowing where that could take us, if it all comes good & we show a bit more consistency, we could just be in with a chance of making a proper go of a promotion push, if the consistency avoids us, we will probably see a few more of this crop of players being sold on to clubs with bigger budgets because they can offer those players more wages & pay us more than what we’d be looking to pay out on replacements, that’s just the way the game is now.

Overspending doesn’t guarantee anyone anything apart from being skint if things don’t work out as you wanted them to & we seen what can happen when there isn’t a lot of money left in the bank in the early 80’s, the club at this current moment is the healthiest I’ve ever seen it, brilliant facilities, playing at a decent standard, with decent players who for the large part haven’t reached their full potential yet & with what can be considered a healthy financial situation compared to not so long ago.

Who knows, this year could be our lucky year but if it isn’t, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll be in a worse situation than we are right now because the club is improving & growing in the right direction & has been for the last 3 or 4 seasons, there are plenty of supporters of other clubs & those actual other clubs who would love to be in our position right now but there aren’t many clubs I wish we could swap positions with right now.

I’ll happily take what my club has to offer right now.

We were ultra successful up to Christmas last year.

Possibly will turn out to be our best opportunity to progress for many a long season

who was to blame for the disastrous transfer window?  We don't precisely know except SL carries the can as well as the wallet

We can do it but not if we bottle it again off the pitch as well as on it

8 minutes ago, Bristol_Badger said:

The club needs to set out and be transparent around their expectations and stick by them!

If they say mid table and etc then fine.

If they don’t say anything then the fans will moan.

simple.

Club has said "an improvement on last season"

I agree with the sentiments expressed in this post. I'd love to see the club I've supported all my life becoming a force in the Premier League, but not at the risk of 1982 happening all over again. I'm happy with the level headed approach, along with the considerable investment, being shown by our current owner. Even if I don't live to see Premier League football then the approach being shown now will mean there will be a positive and successful future for the club.  

8 minutes ago, Bristol_Badger said:

The club needs to set out and be transparent around their expectations and stick by them!

simple.

The trouble is mate, if they do say anything some fans forensically analyse every word and then still moan because it`s not what they want to hear.

It`s better just to say nothing sometimes.

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We were ultra successful up to Christmas last year.

Possibly will turn out to be our best opportunity to progress for many a long season

who was to blame for the disastrous transfer window?  We don't precisely know except SL carries the can as well as the wallet

We can do it but not if we bottle it again off the pitch as well as on it

The cup run was a significant factor in the slump in NY.

The “disasterous” transfer window as you put it was not that bad. You have to remember the strategy that LJ was and is employing it. We all known that MA and LJ plan two or even three windows ahead and obviously no transfers were planned for that window. We also know that January is not the best time to deal with transfers.

Its not in SLs strategy to “buy” promotion - despite some fans like you think it’s the way to go.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

When did ‘modern day’ start? When the premier league was invented?

Im not sure if you're being flippant with the Premier League line there, but I think times classed such as 'modern era' are constantly changing.

But there are moments that do appear to be key stages, the next bit is a copy and paste from a similar thread on Reddit

"'Modern football' is an interesting term. It depends whether or not you are looking at the game on the pitch or off the pitch. It depends if you're comparing the way the world consumes football or the way players play football.

On the Pitch:

The tactical innovations that laid the ground work for the game we see today were invented with Hungary's great side of the 50s. From Hungary we had Brazil's 4-2-4, Victor Maslov's creation of the pressing game, Brazil's 1970, and Rinus Michels' Total Football.

With total football we begin to see a game more similar to the game we know today. Space was reduced, pressing became key and with the emphasis that Graham Taylor and specifically Arrigo Sacchi put on the pressing game (much less distance between defense and attack) we began to see the quicker end-to-end game we know today. This didn't necessarily translate into more goals, but it did translate into a much quicker pace.

Off the pitch.

The take-off of the internet. The globalization of football. Multi-billion dollar TV deals making the sport accessible to everyone across the world. The death of extreme violent Hooliganism at the end of the 80s following Heysel. The construction of all-seater stadiums following Hillsborough. The creation of the Premier League and Champions league and subsequent huge TV deals that came with it.

These factors all took place around the turn of the 90s. With the creation of the internet and general explosion in technology that happened around the millennium we now have a sport that is the single most popular thing to have ever existed (*bigger than any religion etc), and 10-year old kids in their garage shops in Hanoi can now watch their heroes every weekend.

This has led to a redistribution of wealth among the top club teams in the world, which along with the Bosman ruling, means the days of Ajax, PSV, Bucharest etc winning the European Cup are long gone"

I think this person gets quite a few things right, I'd also say Wenger (at the start of his Arsenal career) shook things up. He made the Arsenal players be a lot more professional in how they looked after their body- their diet and alcohol intake.

Other clubs followed suit quite quickly.

An exact point where 'modern football' started is difficult, but an argument could be made for a number of dates from the mid 80s to the mid 90s. Whether from the abolishment of the backpass, the downfall of hooliganism, the influx of money or the more professional attitudes of the players off the pitch. Someone might even argue 1981 for the start of 3 points for a win.

59 minutes ago, Bristol_Badger said:

simple.

There are too many variables for this to be possible!

What difference would it make to you if the club told you what they were aiming for? If the club told you they were hoping to finish in a better position than last season, would you accept 10th? Or what if they finished 12th, would that be seen as failure?

Why should you be told what the club are expecting to achieve, you pay for a form of entertainment & that’s what’s you’re given, there are never any guarantees other than to expect to see at least 90 minutes of football.

The only person who is vaguely entitled to get what he expects from the club is SL after pumping a vast sum of his own money into the club that thousands of us love but not even he gets what he’s hoping for (I’m guessing).

While us linked with Bristol City Football Club want & hope to win every game we play, there are 23 other teams in the league all hoping to do the same & it’s simply not possible for everyone to be happy, so why do you expect more or better than any number of other supporters throughout the world?

No club sets out at the beginning of the season to get relegated but 3 clubs have to be & at least 10 clubs probably realistically set out with hopes of getting promoted but only 3 clubs can achieve that, there will be highs & there will be lows, that’s what you pay your money for but there are no guarantees & if you’re only going to do something that is guaranteed, may I suggest you’re going to restrict yourself with what you’re going to do because not many things in this life are guaranteed & the things that are don’t tend to bring much happiness!

1 hour ago, Bristol_Badger said:

simple.

If the club was transparent and said they’d be happy with mid table lots of short sighted people on here would accuse them of lacking ambition. 

For some, whatever the club do is not good enough, maybe they haven’t yet lived long enough to understand life is not that simple and sometimes playing the long game (not on the pitch) may get you there eventually albeit having to spend some considerable time building a solid foundation.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I do feel like people are forgetting those many years in league one (or equivalent) and are being way too expectent. What is this, third or fourth season in Championship? Effing brilliant!

Absolutely correct, we have left the Southends, Crewe, mansfield and Chesterfields for Villa, Leeds, Stoke, Boro etc and we are competitive. It's been a good few years and we are attracting some real talent and selling players for 8 to 10 million to Premier league teams (Fulham and Cardiff he says through gritted teeth?).

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Im not sure if you're being flippant with the Premier League line there, but I think times classed such as 'modern era' are constantly changing.

But there are moments that do appear to be key stages, the next bit is a copy and paste from a similar thread on Reddit

I think this person gets quite a few things right, I'd also say Wenger (at the start of his Arsenal career) shook things up. He made the Arsenal players be a lot more professional in how they looked after their body- their diet and alcohol intake.

Other clubs followed suit quite quickly.

An exact point where 'modern football' started is difficult, but an argument could be made for a number of dates from the mid 80s to the mid 90s. Whether from the abolishment of the backpass, the downfall of hooliganism, the influx of money or the more professional attitudes of the players off the pitch. Someone might even argue 1981 for the start of 3 points for a win.

As Chinapig hinted, everyone is going to choose a moment just before they got involved. In my case about 1960. But you could easily choose the period when the Hungarians revolutionised football in the 1950s or the Italian defensive obsession in the 1960s.

We are doing alright but Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley, Watford, Fulham, Brighton and stick in the craw of small clubs managed well to get the promised land. It's not about being a big club and and having massive foreign backers, it's about astute management of the whole club. Are we just unlucky? Is SL just unlucky? God knows,  but it would be lovely to get there and stay there! The dream lives on. 

Just now, hoxton casual said:

We are doing alright but Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Burnley, Watford, Fulham, Brighton and stick in the craw of small clubs managed well to get the promised land. It's not about being a big club and and having massive foreign backers, it's about astute management of the whole club. Are we just unlucky? Is SL just unlucky? God knows,  but it would be lovely to get there and stay there! The dream lives on. 

I forgot bloody Cardiff!!!! 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The cup run was a significant factor in the slump in NY.

The “disasterous” transfer window as you put it was not that bad. You have to remember the strategy that LJ was and is employing it. We all known that MA and LJ plan two or even three windows ahead and obviously no transfers were planned for that window. We also know that January is not the best time to deal with transfers.

Its not in SLs strategy to “buy” promotion - despite some fans like you think it’s the way to go.

Id like to think that as a club we find ourselves in the top 5 of the Championship come the turn of the year again soon but history shows that it is very very rare for us. That being said it was painful for many fans that we didn’t ‘go’ for it a bit more in January when others around us did.

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

When did ‘modern day’ start? When the premier league was invented?

No. Without checking the stats, I’d guess since 1909, apart from Alan Dicks, there haven’t been too many managers that have a better record for us at Championship (level 2) standard, than LJ. 

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

Each one of those cases was different. Literally each and every method used differed from the other.

Unsure how to go about comparisons tbh because though there maybe similarities, no two models of those listed were the same.

PS- you also forgot Swansea.

7 hours ago, Bristol_Badger said:

simple.

'If you want to make God laugh show him your plans.'

Woody Allen

'Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.'

John Lennon

'No plan survives contact with the enemy.'

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

By all means have a general plan but the minute you set specific targets and make them public the slightest deviation will have your critics jumping on you.

10 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

You could have said the same about Portsmouth and Blackpool a few years ago, be careful what you wish for!  We're playing at a decent level now, promotion isn't as important as it was in the many season we spent in L1 playing the likes of Crewe on a Wednesday night.

Archived