IGNORED

Time wasting

22A

On SSN now (5.50pm), moves are afoot to end or at least reduce time wasting. In that Cardiff v Burnley game, the ball was in play for just 42 of the ninety minutes. The Cardiff captain took EIGHT minutes to make 20 throw ins!

The biggest proposal is to change the length of the game to two periods of thirty minutes, with the clock only running when the ball is in play.

Another proposal is that when a player is substituted, he must leave by the nearest touch line. Refs are also to ensure goal keepers adhere to the existing rule of only holding on to the ball for six seconds before releasing it.

A hell of a lot of the wasted time is down to the referees allowing too much time at free kicks. Also stood around lecturing grown men as if they are kids, book them and get on with it.. Allowing ball boys to carry towels for the long throws is also being allowed, also extending the process.

22 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

A rugby style game clock would be a better solution IMO.

Would cut time wasting out immediately.

That would never work although it is good idea.

Football is just to quick a game to keep stopping the watch.

Set pieces scrums , lineout etc are a big part of rugby.

Imagine the clock being stopped every throw in

I’m surprised how few times refs punish teams for kicking the ball away at a free kick.

There were two occasions against Villa when they threw and kicked the ball away, it seems refs have been told to ignore it.

i bet Van Persia sees this happening fuming after what happened against Barca all those years ago.

Time-wasting and the tactic of some teams to break up games by creating stoppages definitely needs addressing.

Some things should be fairly simple to implement in the short-term. For example, we could go back to the rule where goalkeepers have to take goal kicks from the side of the goal where the ball went out. This would prevent the infuriating situation when keepers slowly jogging from one side of the six yard box to the other.

Also the way the flow of the game is hindered by players sitting/lying on the pitch " injured" waiting for the ref to stop the game or the other team to feel they have to kick the ball out. Grealish last Friday was an example of such "gamesmanship" - rolled around seemingly in agony and then seconds later was up on his feet looking sprightly again. That sort of behaviour should get a yellow card.

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s an average of 24 seconds per throw in - I find that hard to believe, no ref would put up with that 20 times surely...

Depends, is that 20 times from when the ball has gone out of play or from when he gets it in his hands? Could easily see 10 seconds for the ball to get back to him at times, then 15 seconds or so over a throw in is quite regular. Goalkeepers is the one for me that is the big thing, no referee really stands by the 6 second rule for goalkeepers, I've regularly counted them holding the ball for 15 seconds. Then the amount of time it takes for them to take a goal kick. Although flip side something else that annoys me is the ref waiting until 75 minutes plus to tell a keeper to hurry up even though they've taken that long all game, why only towards the end of the game does it become time wasting?

2 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

A rugby style game clock would be a better solution IMO.

Would cut time wasting out immediately.

The average time the ball is in play in a rugby union match is 35 minutes! 

Rugby league is a different matter, 62 minutes. 

The clock doesn’t stop for scrums in Union, I’ve witnessed scrums where they collapse and are reset several times, often wasting up to 7-8 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

But if it is already 58-65 mins how would adopting 60 minutes play be any different :dunno:

The point is to cut out the time wasting, so players don't piss around at goal kicks, throw ins etc as they can't waste time. 

23 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I’m surprised how few times refs punish teams for kicking the ball away at a free kick.

There were two occasions against Villa when they threw and kicked the ball away, it seems refs have been told to ignore it.

i bet Van Persia sees this happening fuming after what happened against Barca all those years ago.

There was a directive from the FA last season to referees, basically to only punish players with a card if the ball was blatantly booted away with real intent after the whistle had gone. Little 5-10 yard taps away don’t warrant a card now. 

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

The point is to cut out the time wasting, so players don't piss around at goal kicks, throw ins etc as they can't waste time. 

Not sure if I am having a dim moment here but to me just saying that the ball needs to be in play for 60 minutes doesn't necessarily stop periods of non-play. It could have the opposite effect as there would be no maximum time a game could last so phaffing about at corners and free kicks could increase.

1 minute ago, Reigate Red said:

Not sure if I am having a dim moment here but to me just saying that the ball needs to be in play for 60 minutes doesn't necessarily stop periods of non-play. It could have the opposite effect as there would be no maximum time a game could last so phaffing about at corners and free kicks could increase.

True it doesn't, but the hope would be players wouldn't take their time knowing there is no potential benefit to doing so. I think throws etc could still take time in games where teams are on top as a way to take momentum out of the game, no benefit time wise on the clock but for slowing the pace down potentially.

Slightly off topic - I said years ago that any "divers" should get automatic bans after the game (whether or not they were dealt with at the time i.e yellow card). Give the likes of Ronaldo/Drogba a 3 game ban and second time double it. Would soon stop a lot of it. We are half way there...

One thing with time wasting I would do is if a team is winning and they are time wasting, but then end up going behind why should they get a single second of added time if they have been wasting time at every opportunity? Give them nothing at 90 minutes and blow instantly. Why should they have the opportunity to equalise in time they effectively gave away?

14 hours ago, phantom said:

Suspect most games have similar timings 

Not even close.

Its a point I made on here regarding the quality of Cardiffs football and Neil Warnock. Neil Warnocks teams at various clubs have balling rolling times of approximately 45 minutes. 42 minutes is low because Cardiff played another team in Burnley with a low ball rolling time. 

Man City's ball rolling time is +60 and at times +70 minutes.  

Elements of the above disparity is not time wasting. A team like Burnley have to take their time with set pieces. Their results are heavily dependant on them.  

Leave it at 90 minutes but as previous posters have said, apply rules that are already there regarding goalkeepers etc. Also if a player goes down injured treat him on the pitch while play goes on. Jeez, the pitch is big enough and the players are professionals I'm sure the physio being on the pitch in a fairly static position won't cause too much of a hindrance. Players would only stay down if they are genuinely injured because whilst being treated their team would be a player light. Once treatment has been completed, the player just gets up and resumes playing and the physio leaves the pitch at the nearest point, no trudging off to the sideline to be called back on by the ref seconds later.

The only exception to this would be if it becomes apparent that it is a very serious injury in which case the game is stopped.

I am not against stopping a clock I am just not sure why you would shorten the match by 30 minutes. 2 40 minute halves of clock stopping would be ok for me. At a push maybe 35 minute halves. We want more football in a smaller space of time. It is what all sports strive for. 

Sorry I go back to the US quite often for references but multiple sports there have made adjustments in the past few years to speed up matches but without taking time off the actual game. The NBA has reduced the amount of timeouts teams get and how many advert timeouts per quarter. It has led to a less stop start type of game. Baseball is working on the amount of time in between pitches to speed up the game(not timed anyway). Just think football can be more creative with what they have to give us more football for our money. That is the point isn’t it? It is supposed to be a form of entertainment at the end of the day. 

12 hours ago, hodge said:

Depends, is that 20 times from when the ball has gone out of play or from when he gets it in his hands? Could easily see 10 seconds for the ball to get back to him at times, then 15 seconds or so over a throw in is quite regular. Goalkeepers is the one for me that is the big thing, no referee really stands by the 6 second rule for goalkeepers, I've regularly counted them holding the ball for 15 seconds. Then the amount of time it takes for them to take a goal kick. Although flip side something else that annoys me is the ref waiting until 75 minutes plus to tell a keeper to hurry up even though they've taken that long all game, why only towards the end of the game does it become time wasting?

Think you will find the 6 second rule has gone

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think you will find the 6 second rule has gone

I don't think it has.  It's still showing on the FA website under law 12:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hands for more than six seconds before releasing it
  • touches the ball with the hands after:
  • releasing it and before it has touched another player
  • it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
  • receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
  • A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.

Archived