IGNORED

Time wasting

22A

Time wasting is a massive personal hatred of mine. I don’t mind holding the ball in the corner, using strength to keep the ball as far away from goal as possible. 

But feigning injury, rolling around while keeping one eye on the ref, kicking the ball away, long time throw ins, goal kicks etc etc. It all robs the punter of money. Don’t forget we’ve paid to see 90 mins of football. 

Warnock may as well retire if this comes in. His Rotherham and Cardiff sides have been the biggest anti football sides I’ve seen in recent memory. 

So in my opinion, whatever needs to be done, do it. 

13 hours ago, wood_red said:

Slightly off topic - I said years ago that any "divers" should get automatic bans after the game (whether or not they were dealt with at the time i.e yellow card). Give the likes of Ronaldo/Drogba a 3 game ban and second time double it. Would soon stop a lot of it. We are half way there...

One thing with time wasting I would do is if a team is winning and they are time wasting, but then end up going behind why should they get a single second of added time if they have been wasting time at every opportunity? Give them nothing at 90 minutes and blow instantly. Why should they have the opportunity to equalise in time they effectively gave away?

One thing that really peeves me is when a player goes down when the opposition are attacking and the ref blows up for treatment to said ' player ' .

Then , to restart, the opposition play the ball back all the way to the keeper of the attacking team who by now have lost the momentum and advantage of their play for nothing.

This happened against Villa.

It's cheating . 

:badmood:

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

One thing that really peeves me is when a player goes down when the opposition are attacking and the ref blows up for treatment to said ' player ' .

Then , to restart, the opposition play the ball back all the way to the keeper of the attacking team who by now have lost the momentum and advantage of their play for nothing.

This happened against Villa.

It's cheating . 

:badmood:

Especially when the "injured" player's own team mates didn't put it out when they had the ball. I'm sure one Villa player almost stepped on Grealish when he was dying on the floor but the game was stopped only after Villa lost possession.

33 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Time wasting is a massive personal hatred of mine. I don’t mind holding the ball in the corner, using strength to keep the ball as far away from goal as possible. 

But feigning injury, rolling around while keeping one eye on the ref, kicking the ball away, long time throw ins, goal kicks etc etc. It all robs the punter of money. Don’t forget we’ve paid to see 90 mins of football. 

Warnock may as well retire if this comes in. His Rotherham and Cardiff sides have been the biggest anti football sides I’ve seen in recent memory. 

So in my opinion, whatever needs to be done, do it. 

Much of the above can already be addressed by the referee.

Time lost in games due to time wasting is often insignificant. Footballs rules should not change due to those who pay to watch it. Mr Warnock's teams have lower ball rolling times not because they can time waste but because of the way they play. Direct vertical football leads to more free kicks, less free flowing football, more throw ins, more goal kicks, less ball rolling time …

The overwhelming majority of time lost in football is due to restarts. That can be a free kick, be it Beckham or Ronaldo, and Ronlados knuckleball free kick and its routine of valve up, superman pose, and visualisation takes every bit as long as Rory Delaps unique and highly skilled throw in. 

Its all part of the games beauty and challenges.

Of course time-wasting in sport is rather like spying.  It's fine if your side does it, but woe betide your opponents if they do it.  Seeing a team fighting to snatch the ball out of the net after they've scored a comeback goal always amuses me, as you can be sure that no such enthusiasm to get on with the game has been demonstrated previously!

18 hours ago, 22A said:

On SSN now (5.50pm), moves are afoot to end or at least reduce time wasting. In that Cardiff v Burnley game, the ball was in play for just 42 of the ninety minutes. The Cardiff captain took EIGHT minutes to make 20 throw ins!

The biggest proposal is to change the length of the game to two periods of thirty minutes, with the clock only running when the ball is in play.

Another proposal is that when a player is substituted, he must leave by the nearest touch line. Refs are also to ensure goal keepers adhere to the existing rule of only holding on to the ball for six seconds before releasing it.

How long would Magnússon have took to take twenty throw ins??

18 hours ago, 22A said:

On SSN now (5.50pm), moves are afoot to end or at least reduce time wasting. In that Cardiff v Burnley game, the ball was in play for just 42 of the ninety minutes. The Cardiff captain took EIGHT minutes to make 20 throw ins!

The biggest proposal is to change the length of the game to two periods of thirty minutes, with the clock only running when the ball is in play.

Another proposal is that when a player is substituted, he must leave by the nearest touch line. Refs are also to ensure goal keepers adhere to the existing rule of only holding on to the ball for six seconds before releasing it.

Only mentioned this on the weekend. It seems crazy how long players take to leave the pitch.

Time wasting tactics are now rampant in all three of the major UK sports, cricket, Rugby Union and football. I also notice when I watch tennis, similar habits like mopping ones brow between every point, bouncing the ball at least a dozen times before serving.

The time wasted at rugby line outs is very similar to football throw ins. And thay always have a scrum conference before moving to the spot for the actual scrum. It usually allows the fleet of foot spectatots to nip down for a pee and a pint without missing any of the game.

There is only one solutuon in football. Make referees adhere to the laws of the game and either yellow card the guilty player or just give the throw or kick to the other team. The latter would eradicate it instantly. And this must be worldwide, not one or two countries.

16 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I’m surprised how few times refs punish teams for kicking the ball away at a free kick.

There were two occasions against Villa when they threw and kicked the ball away, it seems refs have been told to ignore it.

i bet Van Persia sees this happening fuming after what happened against Barca all those years ago.

16 hours ago, Offside said:

Time-wasting and the tactic of some teams to break up games by creating stoppages definitely needs addressing.

Some things should be fairly simple to implement in the short-term. For example, we could go back to the rule where goalkeepers have to take goal kicks from the side of the goal where the ball went out. This would prevent the infuriating situation when keepers slowly jogging from one side of the six yard box to the other.

Also the way the flow of the game is hindered by players sitting/lying on the pitch " injured" waiting for the ref to stop the game or the other team to feel they have to kick the ball out. Grealish last Friday was an example of such "gamesmanship" - rolled around seemingly in agony and then seconds later was up on his feet looking sprightly again. That sort of behaviour should get a yellow card.

4 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Leave it at 90 minutes but as previous posters have said, apply rules that are already there regarding goalkeepers etc. Also if a player goes down injured treat him on the pitch while play goes on. Jeez, the pitch is big enough and the players are professionals I'm sure the physio being on the pitch in a fairly static position won't cause too much of a hindrance. Players would only stay down if they are genuinely injured because whilst being treated their team would be a player light. Once treatment has been completed, the player just gets up and resumes playing and the physio leaves the pitch at the nearest point, no trudging off to the sideline to be called back on by the ref seconds later.

The only exception to this would be if it becomes apparent that it is a very serious injury in which case the game is stopped.

The above needs to be implemented, especially physio's allowed to treat injuries in play. Would stop all that stupid gamesmanship in an instant.

I want to see drop balls to be contested as a rule again instead of this 'boot it back to the opposition fair play' rubbish, usually as a result of some tart lying on the ground then surprisingly springing back up to full health....

7 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don't think it has.  It's still showing on the FA website under law 12:

An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

• controls the ball with the hands for more than six seconds before releasing it
  • touches the ball with the hands after:
  • releasing it and before it has touched another player
  • it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate
  • receiving it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
  • A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hands.

Thank you - I stand corrected - they were discussing on radio today and said it had gone which is what I thought

:dunno:

I recall it being on the agenda pre season a couple of years back and guess it’s more El Hs explanation as below - I’m sure they judge it as a reasonable time now which is clearly failing to adhere to rand enforce the laws of the game

5 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

Definitely still in the Laws. Just never ever enforced.

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s an average of 24 seconds per throw in - I find that hard to believe, no ref would put up with that 20 times surely...

SSN showed film of hit picking the ball up, tossing it from right to left, turning round to the ball boy and drying the ball with a towel, then wiping it on the inside of his shirt and patting that back down etc.

2 minutes ago, 22A said:

SSN showed film of hit picking the ball up, tossing it from right to left, turning round to the ball boy and drying the ball with a towel, then wiping it on the inside of his shirt and patting that back down etc.

Don’t know how many thows he took but they gave the total amount of time , discussing it on the on the radio and it was definitely approaching 10  mins in total 

7 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Much of the above can already be addressed by the referee.

Time lost in games due to time wasting is often insignificant. Footballs rules should not change due to those who pay to watch it. Mr Warnock's teams have lower ball rolling times not because they can time waste but because of the way they play. Direct vertical football leads to more free kicks, less free flowing football, more throw ins, more goal kicks, less ball rolling time …

The overwhelming majority of time lost in football is due to restarts. That can be a free kick, be it Beckham or Ronaldo, and Ronlados knuckleball free kick and its routine of valve up, superman pose, and visualisation takes every bit as long as Rory Delaps unique and highly skilled throw in. 

Its all part of the games beauty and challenges.

I agree that stronger refereeing would absolutely help, but refs also have a duty of care to players on the pitch. If someone’s rolling around holding their face with one hand and hitting the floor in agony with the other he’s going to stop the game for a head injury when in all likelihood at the moment someone’s actually been caught at the ankle. It’s the players that have a responsibility. 

I don’t agree with the rules should not change due to those who pay to watch it. Football would disappear very quickly without paying customers and it absolutely should evolve to enhance itself in line with what spectators want. VAR and goal line technology were brought in with the support of fans who didn’t want to see their teams done out of a perfectly legitimate goal, or a game ruined by a bad refereeing decision. What would happen if we all said ‘**** it, I’m fed up with watching  grown men roll around faking injury to waste time, I’ll put my money into playing golf’?

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Time wasting tactics are now rampant in all three of the major UK sports, cricket, Rugby Union and football. I also notice when I watch tennis, similar habits like mopping ones brow between every point, bouncing the ball at least a dozen times before serving.

The time wasted at rugby line outs is very similar to football throw ins. And thay always have a scrum conference before moving to the spot for the actual scrum. It usually allows the fleet of foot spectatots to nip down for a pee and a pint without missing any of the game.

There is only one solutuon in football. Make referees adhere to the laws of the game and either yellow card the guilty player or just give the throw or kick to the other team. The latter would eradicate it instantly. And this must be worldwide, not one or two countries.

Time wasting in tennis and cricket (at least limited overs) doesn't affect the result other than changing momentum. Time wasting in football and rugby is entirely difficult and does affect results. That's why changing to a set period of ball in play would be a great thing for football imo.

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think you will find the 6 second rule has gone

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thank you - I stand corrected - they were discussing on radio today and said it had gone which is what I thought

:dunno:

I recall it being on the agenda pre season a couple of years back and guess it’s more El Hs explanation as below - I’m sure they judge it as a reasonable time now which is clearly failing to adhere to rand enforce the laws of the game

Definitely still there Bob, referees get so much shit for every decision, that it’s just not worth their while blowing up and adding more controversy, they just add on a bit of time for it. 

We all know that any ref who pulled up a keeper for it ( especially in a high profile game) would get savaged by the opposition, more than likely the tv pundits, and create an unwanted name for himself, which may well go against him in the future. 

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Definitely still there Bob, referees get so much shit for every decision, that it’s just not worth their while blowing up and adding more controversy, they just add on a bit of time for it. 

We all know that any ref who pulled up a keeper for it ( especially in a high profile game) would get savaged by the opposition, more than likely the tv pundits, and create an unwanted name for himself, which may well go against him in the future. 

But it’s gone virtually unpoliced

Give a warning....second time free kick

Archived