IGNORED

Kelly and Eliasson

Davefevs

Kelly LB and Eliasson LW 2nd half.

I’ve been really critical of Eliasson's starting positions over a couple of months.  I think he starts too high meaning he can’t get into the game, sits on the periphery and gives difficult angles for passes from his full-back (predominantly when playing RW) and central midfielder, as well meaning he can’t get much ball off of the linking striker too.  It also means when we don’t get ball out to him, that he’s got a lot of ground to cover.  He lacks a bit of awareness of the danger and reacts slowly.

That is what happened with their first goal.  Two players wide left (goalside of NE) from a ball played on the angle from inside their half.

83803994-283D-4BA6-8802-02510BD5D560.thumb.jpeg.91c3c121b829142f35ce382c58856bbf.jpeg

Easy to blame Pisano for letting Sears run with the ball towards goal, but he’s worried that the man on the overlap is gonna get slipped in.  Eliasson never gets near to Sears until he gets the shot off.  Pisano maybe could do better, but if I were Eros I’d be having a pop at Niclas. 

Second half, Eliasson moves to left, Weimann to right, with Diedhiou on for Adelakun.

His position for our equaliser, set up ultimately by Kelly, is only 8/9 yards forward of Weimann (centre of pic) who plays a neat ball with the outside of his right foot.  We have good shape, good possession, and Kelly is confident that if he joins Eliasson, he can get the ball and join in. Town players retreating too rather than facing play.

C8779014-8491-419D-A7EE-274EB6CC27A1.thumb.jpeg.0ab65eff0425020649bc81b46382e3cc.jpeg

A second or two later (see below), Kelly is on hand to get the ball down the side, ping a cross, and with a bit comedy the ball is in the net.  Morrell (28) has moved forward to the left to give an option inside should Kelly not be an option if the Ipswich man (7) tracking gets a decent position.

CB096255-2129-4C64-9271-8C59F153BC4E.thumb.jpeg.dee6eac817290ce5afacf5cc49b65785.jpeg

That to me typified our left side second half.  Wasn’t perfect, but the three youngsters created passing angles often in the second period.  That has been missing, especially with Marlon out of form (he still was tonight too).

Goal 2.  Look at how close our front 5 are in this, as Kelly (they are now frightened of him) drives forward.  Eliasson with a good receiving angle, no chance of Spence intercepting.  Diedhiou probably in Kelly’s way but he moves inside as Kelly advancesand creates the necessary space ultimately.

72A8A72B-2D4F-464B-A077-41A1D6B26AA3.thumb.jpeg.de0f9b5c07a747db7b4f9c0e31620d8c.jpeg

Paterson (20) moves towards pen spot as Kelly plays in Eliasson.  By the time he gets a looping cross in, Diedhiou is level with near post, Weimann is on pen spot, and Pato is judging the flight better than anyone, on the move towards the back stick to side volley foot home.  3 players in great positions though.

Goal 3 (below).  A bit different, but good movement.  Eliasson (blurred) inside, coming short crafting space for Kelly to get a nice pass from Webster.  Paterson also come short too, but now looking to spin, as is Eliasson.

6F568381-5CF0-48BF-ACC1-03ED30E8857B.thumb.jpeg.857ca0e92794ea2d09cc6a4a8361591a.jpeg

Eliasson runs the diagonal as Kelly drives inside and is on the touchline by the time Kelly jinks past his marker and his deflected cross is nodded home by Diedhiou.

To me that made a huge difference.  Diedhiou did too, and Weimann (sacrificing and) disciplined on RHS gave us a much better shape allowing Pato to roam.

3 minutes ago, miser said:

Not sure I understood all the analysis, but have always been wary of out and out wingers. Wingers need to be midfielders connected to the team ,rather than a star player. 

That is a succinct summary, and spot on in context of modern game. ?

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been really critical of Eliasson's starting positions over a couple of months.  I think he starts too high meaning he can’t get into the game, sits on the periphery and gives difficult angles for passes from his full-back (predominantly when playing RW) and central midfielder, as well meaning he can’t get much ball off of the linking striker too.  It also means when we don’t get ball out to him, that he’s got a lot of ground to cover.  He lacks a bit of awareness of the danger and reacts slowly.

That is what happened with their first goal.  Two players wide left (goalside of NE) from a ball played on the angle from inside their half.

83803994-283D-4BA6-8802-02510BD5D560.thumb.jpeg.91c3c121b829142f35ce382c58856bbf.jpeg

Easy to blame Pisano for letting Sears run with the ball towards goal, but he’s worried that the man on the overlap is gonna get slipped in.  Eliasson never gets near to Sears until he gets the shot off.  Pisano maybe could do better, but if I were Eros I’d be having a pop at Niclas. 

Second half, Eliasson moves to left, Weimann to right, with Diedhiou on for Adelakun.

His position for our equaliser, set up ultimately by Kelly, is only 8/9 yards forward of Weimann (centre of pic) who plays a neat ball with the outside of his right foot.  We have good shape, good possession, and Kelly is confident that if he joins Eliasson, he can get the ball and join in. Town players retreating too rather than facing play.

C8779014-8491-419D-A7EE-274EB6CC27A1.thumb.jpeg.0ab65eff0425020649bc81b46382e3cc.jpeg

A second or two later (see below), Kelly is on hand to get the ball down the side, ping a cross, and with a bit comedy the ball is in the net.  Morrell (28) has moved forward to the left to give an option inside should Kelly not be an option if the Ipswich man (7) tracking gets a decent position.

CB096255-2129-4C64-9271-8C59F153BC4E.thumb.jpeg.dee6eac817290ce5afacf5cc49b65785.jpeg

That to me typified our left side second half.  Wasn’t perfect, but the three youngsters created passing angles often in the second period.  That has been missing, especially with Marlon out of form (he still was tonight too).

Goal 2.  Look at how close our front 5 are in this, as Kelly (they are now frightened of him) drives forward.  Eliasson with a good receiving angle, no chance of Spence intercepting.  Diedhiou probably in Kelly’s way but he moves inside as Kelly advancesand creates the necessary space ultimately.

72A8A72B-2D4F-464B-A077-41A1D6B26AA3.thumb.jpeg.de0f9b5c07a747db7b4f9c0e31620d8c.jpeg

Paterson (20) moves towards pen spot as Kelly plays in Eliasson.  By the time he gets a looping cross in, Diedhiou is level with near post, Weimann is on pen spot, and Pato is judging the flight better than anyone, on the move towards the back stick to side volley foot home.  3 players in great positions though.

Goal 3 (below).  A bit different, but good movement.  Eliasson (blurred) inside, coming short crafting space for Kelly to get a nice pass from Webster.  Paterson also come short too, but now looking to spin, as is Eliasson.

6F568381-5CF0-48BF-ACC1-03ED30E8857B.thumb.jpeg.857ca0e92794ea2d09cc6a4a8361591a.jpeg

Eliasson runs the diagonal as Kelly drives inside and is on the touchline by the time Kelly jinks past his marker and his deflected cross is nodded home by Diedhiou.

To me that made a huge difference.  Diedhiou did too, and Weimann (sacrificing and) disciplined on RHS gave us a much better shape allowing Pato to roam.

Good points, thought it was great to see Kelly getting forward and contributing to all three goals, luckily Fammy was in the box giving the Ipswich defence something to think about

Good , and interesting post @Davefevs

Lee said he wasn’t overly happy with the recovery runs on first goal and he was right

Elliason needs to bust a gut to either get around Sears or provide some help cover to Pisano

Pisanos body shape all wrong mind 

Just watching the  game and looked like LJ took the shackles off LK 2nd half ? which made a marked difference 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good , and interesting post @Davefevs

Lee said he wasn’t overly happy with the recovery runs on first goal and he was right

Elliason needs to bust a gut to either get around Sears or provide some help cover to Pisano

Pisanos body shape all wrong mind 

Just watching the  game and looked like LJ took the shackles off LK 2nd half ? which made a marked difference 

Haven’t heard the interviews, so glad that was spotted, although don’t want individuals picked out per se.  

Re shackles, just think we had movement and easier passes because of better positioning and willingness to create angles.  We know Kelly isn’t Bryan going forward, but he was certainly no “Left Back-only” tonight either.

Perhaps one or two or three players are finding a tad of form (Kelly, Paterson mainly...Diedhiou hopefully).

Just now, Davefevs said:

Haven’t heard the interviews, so glad that was spotted, although don’t want individuals picked out per se.  

Re shackles, just think we had movement and easier passes because of better positioning and willingness to create angles.  We know Kelly isn’t Bryan going forward, but he was certainly no “Left Back-only” tonight either.

Perhaps one or two or three players are finding a tad of form (Kelly, Paterson mainly...Diedhiou hopefully).

Tbf Dave he didn’t name or pick out individuals , only in praise

Just said he didn’t think ‘the recovery runs were great’ 

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You Carra or GNev?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Brilliant post Dave. I was at the game and wished I had you next to me explain all the stuff I don't see!

4 hours ago, miser said:

Not sure I understood all the analysis, but have always been wary of out and out wingers. Wingers need to be midfielders connected to the team ,rather than a star player. 

Yes, more wide attackers than wingers. You can't afford to have players standing around on the touchline waiting for the ball in the modern game.

The best example for me is Sterling and Sane, whose starting position is usually somewhat tucked in. In fact they aim to do most of their decisive work within the width of the penalty area.

Much better placed to cross, pass or shoot rather than hitting hopeful high balls into the box from the touchline, the old fashioned English way. Orthodox wingers would leave Aguero isolated and Silva (both of them!) with far fewer scoring chances too.

If required, extra width comes from the full backs, who are given space by the movement from Sterling and Sane.

@Davefevs good analysis mate. Was certainly interesting seeing Elliason and Kelly forming a good partnership on the left. 

With the first goal, I think this is down to something I raised on Ole’s match report. I got the impression Pack was playing more of an orthodox CM last night rather than his usual DM. He certainly seemed much higher than usual. For the first goal, if Pack is playing deeper he would usually be in that space where Sears came inside. A deeper DM closes off the opportunity for wide players to cut inside.

Pack definitely played higher last night and we didn’t pass everything through him as we normally do. His touches were probably way down on his average. If this was Lj’s gameplan - to produce quicker more incisive attacks rather than possession through the thirds, then it comes with the detriment of being less secure in that area in front of the 2 CB’s. 

As for their 2nd goal. I would question what Kalas is doing. When the cross comes over, Kelly & Webster are in good positions to deal. Kalas comes out of his RCB position and ends up standing in front of Webster for the rest of the attack. If he stays true, holding his RCB position, he is likely to be in front of Sears and blocks the shot / closes the chance down. It’s little things like this that are crucial. It doesn’t seem much, he’s literally just wandered out of his position for 5 seconds, but it results in a goal. He was chasing the ball rather than holding firm in his shape. Little things. 

Whilst mostly solid, there were times when Kalas & Pisano seemed all at sea from a defensive positioning perspective. Both seemed too desperate to cover for the other one. A trust issue between the two I think, having not played together. A poor full back can make a great centre back into an average looking one. 

@Harry Don’t think Kalas has been anything like the player we saw in those opening 2/3 games he played, including the couple leading to his injury.  Not sure Pisano was his root  cause!!

We seem to be sat deeper as a back 4, which the early games I thought we had a higher line.  I think that impacts our ability to be compact.

I did pick up that Pack was not the quarterback last night.  The CBs only split from when the ball was with Mäenpää in static positions (GKs, under no pressure etc).  Pack did not come back to receive at all, Walsh did once.  Pack’s legs don’t seem to allow him to come short, build the attack, and get into a conventional midfield position later in the possession.  Therefore we are outnumbered not just 2v3 but sometimes 1v3 if we lose possession and Pack is too deep to help the press in the middle of the park.

I’m not laying all the blame at Pack (but he is out of form), but I do wonder what an energetic two might do in there if LJ continues to resist playing a three.  With @Cowshed‘s observations of Diedhiou not being able to press, coupled with Pato (much better last night) slightly lighter efforts to close down, we are pressing with 7 to 8 outfield players....at most.  When you are compact and passing short, you inevitably don’t have too much distance to cover to press if you lose it either.

Either accept you can’t press, and retreat to get men behind the ball, or play a very high line to cut the distance from back 4 to Diedhiou.  His scoring record is very good fit someone we moan like mad at!!

Archived