IGNORED

FORK IN THE ROAD?

pillred

Well here we are at almost the halfway  point in the season, trying hard not to paint this as another LJ out thread but at the same time asking the question have most of us had enough, judging by the crowd today and the general negative attitude to the result and performance today I think the answer is yes, ex city player Gary Owers summed it up when he said we are playing a team near bottom of the league and have one player up front. The fact that we did not score an actual goal of our own think he was probably right, think next season ticket sales will be slow to say the least and as someone who has been a holder for over 30 years and will not be renewing next season for a number of reasons red button parking fixture moving for tv rugby etc think we are at a crossroads, some people seem to be happy with mid table I suspect they are a good deal younger than me for a lot of peoples patience has surely run out.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well here we are at almost the halfway  point in the season, trying hard not to paint this as another LJ out thread but at the same time asking the question have most of us had enough, judging by the crowd today and the general negative attitude to the result and performance today I think the answer is yes, ex city player Gary Owers summed it up when he said we are playing a team near bottom of the league and have one player up front. The fact that we did not score an actual goal of our own think he was probably right, think next season ticket sales will be slow to say the least and as someone who has been a holder for over 30 years and will not be renewing next season for a number of reasons red button parking fixture moving for tv rugby etc think we are at a crossroads, some people seem to be happy with mid table I suspect they are a good deal younger than me for a lot of peoples patience has surely run out.

2 minutes ago, Bri Stool City said:

Knives are out for sure ?

That covers it!.

I am so deflated after that today. We didn't give it a go against a team that has nothing...Truly disgraceful. Elliason tried as did Kelly, but we lacked speed, tempo, passion and skill. 

The players look confused and its pretty clear why....Please Please Please someone end this idiocy!

2 minutes ago, kivsy said:

I’m not renewing if johnsons still here next year , what with red button.  A couple of fixtures on sky and people streaming online.  I can still get to see city play ! 

Parking , moving kick off times all add to the dross product being served up   

I’ll make every effort to watch City at AG and the only time I thought of not attending was under Senior - I was fed up with the pedestrian, sideways and uninspired football being served up but I was unable to do it - too loyal to the club I guess and you plan to to the same under Junior - how little  times change.........:dunno:

The fact for me is that to make the play-offs and get promoted we'd need a large number of things to come together all at once. Would need the 'big teams' all to have rubbish seasons. Would need signings all to gel at once  and these would generally be signings no one else wanted. Would need two or three academy players all to come through and be amazing. We'd need a system all rhe players believed in. Wed need to not sell our best players. We actually had a lot of this happen first half last season Unfortunately there are a lot of things that would need all to align for that to happen. So at best we will plod along mid table at best.

13 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

The fact for me is that to make the play-offs and get promoted we'd need a large number of things to come together all at once. Would need the 'big teams' all to have rubbish seasons. Would need signings all to gel at once  and these would generally be signings no one else wanted. Would need two or three academy players all to come through and be amazing. We'd need a system all rhe players believed in. Wed need to not sell our best players. We actually had a lot of this happen first half last season Unfortunately there are a lot of things that would need all to align for that to happen. So at best we will plod along mid table at best.

And given where BCFC have been in all my supporting life (since ‘80’s - mostly bumbling around lower 2nd / top 3rd), being an established mid-table team in this division is good. I’m content that at the moment we have a mid-table budget and a mid-table team with a mid-table attendance. What I’m not content with is that they are providing me with absolutely zero entertainment value. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

And given where BCFC have been in all my supporting life (since ‘80’s - mostly bumbling around lower 2nd / top 3rd), being an established mid-table team in this division is good. I’m content that at the moment we have a mid-table budget and a mid-table team with a mid-table attendance. What I’m not content with is that they are providing me with absolutely zero entertainment value. 

Yes it's not great I think we had our crest of a wave last season and now back to normal. Players generally happy to plod along and pick up good wages and probably equally in the dark about who will actually play ever week.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Perfect assessment on every level since the early 80s. Well said, Harry.

People losing their shit because we're not challenging at the top are delusional. People losing it because we currently lack passion have every right to do so.

Personally, I can only guess that people saying "this is the worst they've ever seen City" are either recent fans or suffering from the onset of dementia.

35 minutes ago, kivsy said:

I’m not renewing if johnsons still here next year , what with red button.  A couple of fixtures on sky and people streaming online.  I can still get to see city play ! 

Parking , moving kick off times all add to the dross product being served up   

This last bit is the thing that might tip me over the edge. I've said elsewhere it's only the social side that makes the day worthwhile. Sunday games are shite, down and back , parking is rubbish and I really start to wonder if it's worth it. Today was the first time the season I didn't go when I possibly could have made it.

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Perfect assessment on every level since the early 80s. Well said, Harry.

People losing their shit because we're not challenging at the top are delusional. People losing it because we currently lack passion have every right to do so.

Personally, I can only guess that people saying "this is the worst they've ever seen City" are either recent fans or suffering from the onset of dementia.

Depends how you measure quality. For me it's effort levels. This is up there with the worst I've ever seen City. Up there with Pulis, up there with Osman, up there with the end of DMc and the whole of SOD. 

As @Lez said, I feel so disengaged. When that's reflected on the pitch, it doesn't matter what form is, what league we are in, what position in the league we are in relative to history; players playing as if disengaged, fans feeling disengaged, is toxic. Freaking toxic and a change is needed asap or we are going to enter a very steep downward spiral. It could be a blood and guts performance which keeps LJ at the helm which kicks us out, but honestly, can you see it? I can't. A new manager to light a few fuses is all I can see stopping us going on a steep downward trajectory. 

Soton, a club we are told we should emulate, well M Liebherr never waited for his hand to be forced. He was utterly ruthless and would stop the rot before it could set in. He wouldn't have stuck with Mark Hughes for so long that's for sure. And that's how he got them moving upwards so quick. He saw stagnation and he acted before it turned to regression. 

18 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Depends how you measure quality. For me it's effort levels. This is up there with the worst I've ever seen City. Up there with Pulis, up there with Osman, up there with the end of DMc and the whole of SOD. 

As @Lez said, I feel so disengaged. When that's reflected on the pitch, it doesn't matter what form is, what league we are in, what position in the league we are in relative to history; players playing as if disengaged, fans feeling disengaged, is toxic. Freaking toxic and a change is needed asap or we are going to enter a very steep downward spiral. It could be a blood and guts performance which keeps LJ at the helm which kicks us out, but honestly, can you see it? I can't. A new manager to light a few fuses is all I can see stopping us going on a steep downward trajectory. 

Soton, a club we are told we should emulate, well M Liebherr never waited for his hand to be forced. He was utterly ruthless and would stop the rot before it could set in. He wouldn't have stuck with Mark Hughes for so long that's for sure. And that's how he got them moving upwards so quick. He saw stagnation and he acted before it turned to regression. 

All fair points.

BCFC have no pre destined right to challenge at the top and it was clear from the sales of players and the replacements that it would be a big ask to better last season despite what SL has said. 

The worst football I can remember is Pulis and S'OD. I've enjoyed a lot of LJ's football but just find it tedious in the extreme about this feast or famine we keep coming back to. I can get over "we didn't deserve to lose" moments but "they didn't turn up" is unacceptable under any Manager.

Despite all those deluded posters on here with their 'job for life' nonsense- SL will not tolerate a team that seemingly aren't turning up and will act when he (not we) thinks the time is right.

One thing is as certain as night follows day- 4 or 5 wins in a row and suddenly the fans reconnect- we've all seen it. If it wasn't true then most football club's would have disappeared years ago due to lack of interest.

Must admit as a student with limited funds - I am in no massive rush to go to some games with all the options have now.

Went to Leeds away and forest home - live in Leicester so the train fares plus extras for the day out cost so much.

Want LJ to do well but only as I want city to do well and think there is a few worse managers out there so have to be careful what we wish for 

Archived