IGNORED

20 Games Played - LJ In or Out?

KINGERS

When this season started I was full of optimism. Last years brand of exciting, attacking football, a finish in the top half (11th) of the Championship for the first time in 8 years and phenomenal performances against the Premier League elite in the Carabao Cup were still firmly in the back of my mind.

I was still sceptical however, about the future under Lee Johnson. Performances dropped dramatically at the turn of the year and bemusement amongst fans regarding signings in January that were never really fit for purpose to mount a solid promotion push were still at the forefront of most of my conversations about the City.

Twenty games in I'm beginning to lose that optimism and my faith in Lee Johnson is dwindling. Far from the exciting football that graced England's second tier for the first twenty games last year, 3 seasons into his reign with 47 signings under his belt and with constant remarks about "Identity" being back and "building a new side for the third or fourth time" I no longer believe Lee Johnson is the man that can lead our club to success.

That key quote though has been mentioned by the head coach in almost every pre or post match press conference in his 1032 day tenure "we're a new young side and we're still building". That's my issue he's had four transfer windows when he said "give me three" and forgive me if I'm wrong but by this period in his reign we shouldn't still be overhauling the whole 11 and building a new team. We should only be adding a few players in key areas that could improve us, he should have a side that is settled and should know his strongest 11. I fear he still doesn't know what his is! I appreciate that we've had to sell some of our stronger players to pursue their dream of playing in the premiership or because it represents the best deal for the club (Reid, Flint and Bryan). But the vast number of in's and out's, that in the most have resulted in losses, can only be put down to Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson. Therefore the continual use of this phrase "building" really is a cop out and poor excuse. They could have kept a strong eleven together, could of signed better talent first time around and when we were in the position during last seasons January window they shouldn't of been making one for the future deals. You have to question the ambition of the hierarchy at the club for that January though and maybe our financial fair play cap came into play, but then again surely we had enough left in the budget for a top drawer loan or experienced championship player and not Kent or Diony.

The 20 games so far though. 7 wins, 5 draws, 8 losses, 26pts, 14th place, 8pts behind the playoffs and 8pts in front of the relegation zone; the very epitome of a mid table side. Sadly I can't see it being anything other than mid table obscurity, finishing closer to the bottom than the top and hopefully not in the relegation zone! But these numbers are not why I'm losing belief in Lee Johnson, if you look at them alone it doesn't seem that bad. I support this team because there is no other thing on this planet that can give me the feeling of excitement/ elation that watching an incredible City performance brings. But from the beginning of 2018 and the 20 games this year more often than not I haven't felt this. We have rarely seen exciting performances other than the ones against Swansea, Blackburn, Sheffield Utd, West Brom, Brentford and maybe the second half at home to Stoke City in these 20. I'd have to echo the many voices I've heard around Ashton Gate, on social media and general conversations I've had and say I feel bored and confused a lot of the time watching our team.

Lots of possession, lots of passes, but no real urgency or tempo when we build attacks often leading to us passing side to side in midfield with nothing really being created. You could argue that we are making chances from wide areas and this has probably been our biggest threat so far. But we haven't connected with those crosses enough and most of the time they have been haplessly fizzled out of play or high above the strikers head. Now the finishing has been dreadful, the amount of times we've ended games with only 1 shot on target failing to test opposition keepers. Again you can lay the blame in a few areas for this. Why play Weimann out wide? When he's come to the club to play up front and scored goals for us in this position, clearly now low in confidence after being dropped and then put back in. Why can't Eisa get a game to prove himself? Why was Milan Duric never replaced? He would be perfect for the crossing game we're playing now. Not to mention Famara's poor form. Now I feel he's a confidence player and needs building back up, but for the most part his general game with the ball at his feet is not great and his laziness to not fight back and win the ball back has been poor since hes come in from suspension. However, when hes on the field we need to play to his strengths, get the ball to him in an area where all he has to think about is taking a shot, easier said than done but that's the only thing he's really strong at.

Defensively we have one of the better records in the league, although not reacting to simple opposition transitions, making individual errors and having lapses of concentration have led to sloppy goals. Often costing us wins. It's happened time and time again under Lee Johnson hardly ever rectified and the ones that pain me the most are handing teams set piece goals, which are a regular occurrence. One thing that you do have to give Lee credit for though is the trust he has displayed with keeping Lloyd Kelly in the side, who has been a top performer and the best player for me this season. Lets hope he's not sold in January! I wouldn't hold my breath.

The midfield has to be discussed too, I'm a big fan of Marlon Pack but he's struggled so far this season. I've lost count of the numerous times hes smashed balls to the by line and lost possession! But Lee can't drop him as he doesn't have full faith in the midfielders he signed, even reluctant at times to give Liam Walsh a chance, who I believe will come good and is a real creative threat. I feel Marlon is missing Korey Smith next to him though and having him out has been a big blow for us. With Korey in the side we intercept play, make tackles deep, carry the ball forward and start to unlock defences. He also gives Marlon more time to think and pick his passes with pin point accuracy, as he's not having to do the defence duties so often. Again you have to question with Korey's injury blow why did Ashton and Johnson not bring in another strong first team midfielder? As for Jamie Paterson it seems he can do no wrong in Lee Johnson eyes, the countless times he's appeared on the team sheet after being carried, offering hardly anything in games. In fairness to him though when he plays well, like games in recent weeks he can get creative, chip in with goals and be a threat. But as we have seen it tends to last a few games and then that side of him goes back in it's box for another 17.

The predictability of the substitutions Johnson makes is another frustration 70 mins in probably Taylor or Famara whichever ones not starting, a centre midfielder and maybe a run around for one of the wingers on 85 minutes!

Overall though when you put everything together it comes back to the formation tactics and 11 out their on the pitch that Lee Johnson chooses to use. I thought Lee had learnt from his mistakes and become more experienced, as we hadn't seen as much chopping and changing recently. Probably the largest contributing factor to his club record 8 game losing run in 2017. But he appears to be re-visiting this tactical style, swapping players left right and centre, playing lads out of position and changing up the formation to cater to an opposition at the detriment of our own strengths. I struggle to keep up with all of the changes myself, surely the players come a bit unstuck and confused with what their role is?

Well one things for sure if you are looking for an answer to the question of what is the much heralded identity that we've got back tough. I think that's the answer the chopping and changing is the only stable thing that's been occurring over the last 20 games!

Now I've wanted Lee to do well since he joined, I feel the club has given him more than enough chances to make things happen. However I don't truthfully believe he will push us into the Premier League, we've gone backwards from last year and it is just not enjoyable to watch us at the moment. I hope he proves me wrong and get us there but I don't think he will. The problem is if he does leave or gets sacked, which is very unlikely because he has the safest job in football, I don't think the club will go for experience. David Moyes's name has been waved around and I think he would do wonders for us, but I believe the hierarchy at the club are after people that will just abide by what they want to happen instead of listening to the managers that know how to get teams to the top tiers. You could see them just appointing from within with Mcallister or Holden stepping up.

So in conclusion and answer to the title of this post - Johnson out

4 minutes ago, KINGERS said:
When this season started I was full of optimism. Last years brand of exciting, attacking football, a finish in the top half (11th) of the Championship for the first time in 8 years and phenomenal performances against the Premier League elite in the Carabao Cup were still firmly in the back of my mind.

I was still sceptical however, about the future under Lee Johnson. Performances dropped dramatically at the turn of the year and bemusement amongst fans regarding signings in January that were never really fit for purpose to mount a solid promotion push were still at the forefront of most of my conversations about the City.

Twenty games in I'm beginning to lose that optimism and my faith in Lee Johnson is dwindling. Far from the exciting football that graced England's second tier for the first twenty games last year, 3 seasons into his reign with 47 signings under his belt and with constant remarks about "Identity" being back and "building a new side for the third or fourth time" I no longer believe Lee Johnson is the man that can lead our club to success.

That key quote though has been mentioned by the head coach in almost every pre or post match press conference in his 1032 day tenure "we're a new young side and we're still building". That's my issue he's had four transfer windows when he said "give me three" and forgive me if I'm wrong but by this period in his reign we shouldn't still be overhauling the whole 11 and building a new team. We should only be adding a few players in key areas that could improve us, he should have a side that is settled and should know his strongest 11. I fear he still doesn't know what his is! I appreciate that we've had to sell some of our stronger players to pursue their dream of playing in the premiership or because it represents the best deal for the club (Reid, Flint and Bryan). But the vast number of in's and out's, that in the most have resulted in losses, can only be put down to Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson. Therefore the continual use of this phrase "building" really is a cop out and poor excuse. They could have kept a strong eleven together, could of signed better talent first time around and when we were in the position during last seasons January window they shouldn't of been making one for the future deals. You have to question the ambition of the hierarchy at the club for that January though and maybe our financial fair play cap came into play, but then again surely we had enough left in the budget for a top drawer loan or experienced championship player and not Kent or Diony.

The 20 games so far though. 7 wins, 5 draws, 8 losses, 26pts, 14th place, 8pts behind the playoffs and 8pts in front of the relegation zone; the very epitome of a mid table side. Sadly I can't see it being anything other than mid table obscurity, finishing closer to the bottom than the top and hopefully not in the relegation zone! But these numbers are not why I'm losing belief in Lee Johnson, if you look at them alone it doesn't seem that bad. I support this team because there is no other thing on this planet that can give me the feeling of excitement/ elation that watching an incredible City performance brings. But from the beginning of 2018 and the 20 games this year more often than not I haven't felt this. We have rarely seen exciting performances other than the ones against Swansea, Blackburn, Sheffield Utd, West Brom, Brentford and maybe the second half at home to Stoke City in these 20. I'd have to echo the many voices I've heard around Ashton Gate, on social media and general conversations I've had and say I feel bored and confused a lot of the time watching our team.

Lots of possession, lots of passes, but no real urgency or tempo when we build attacks often leading to us passing side to side in midfield with nothing really being created. You could argue that we are making chances from wide areas and this has probably been our biggest threat so far. But we haven't connected with those crosses enough and most of the time they have been haplessly fizzled out of play or high above the strikers head. Now the finishing has been dreadful, the amount of times we've ended games with only 1 shot on target failing to test opposition keepers. Again you can lay the blame in a few areas for this. Why play Weimann out wide? When he's come to the club to play up front and scored goals for us in this position, clearly now low in confidence after being dropped and then put back in. Why can't Eisa get a game to prove himself? Why was Milan Duric never replaced? He would be perfect for the crossing game we're playing now. Not to mention Famara's poor form. Now I feel he's a confidence player and needs building back up, but for the most part his general game with the ball at his feet is not great and his laziness to not fight back and win the ball back has been poor since hes come in from suspension. However, when hes on the field we need to play to his strengths, get the ball to him in an area where all he has to think about is taking a shot, easier said than done but that's the only thing he's really strong at.

Defensively we have one of the better records in the league, although not reacting to simple opposition transitions, making individual errors and having lapses of concentration have led to sloppy goals. Often costing us wins. It's happened time and time again under Lee Johnson hardly ever rectified and the ones that pain me the most are handing teams set piece goals, which are a regular occurrence. One thing that you do have to give Lee credit for though is the trust he has displayed with keeping Lloyd Kelly in the side, who has been a top performer and the best player for me this season. Lets hope he's not sold in January! I wouldn't hold my breath.

The midfield has to be discussed too, I'm a big fan of Marlon Pack but he's struggled so far this season. I've lost count of the numerous times hes smashed balls to the by line and lost possession! But Lee can't drop him as he doesn't have full faith in the midfielders he signed, even reluctant at times to give Liam Walsh a chance, who I believe will come good and is a real creative threat. I feel Marlon is missing Korey Smith next to him though and having him out has been a big blow for us. With Korey in the side we intercept play, make tackles deep, carry the ball forward and start to unlock defences. He also gives Marlon more time to think and pick his passes with pin point accuracy, as he's not having to do the defence duties so often. Again you have to question with Korey's injury blow why did Ashton and Johnson not bring in another strong first team midfielder? As for Jamie Paterson it seems he can do no wrong in Lee Johnson eyes, the countless times he's appeared on the team sheet after being carried, offering hardly anything in games. In fairness to him though when he plays well, like games in recent weeks he can get creative, chip in with goals and be a threat. But as we have seen it tends to last a few games and then that side of him goes back in it's box for another 17.

The predictability of the substitutions Johnson makes is another frustration 70 mins in probably Taylor or Famara whichever ones not starting, a centre midfielder and maybe a run around for one of the wingers on 85 minutes!

Overall though when you put everything together it comes back to the formation tactics and 11 out their on the pitch that Lee Johnson chooses to use. I thought Lee had learnt from his mistakes and become more experienced, as we hadn't seen as much chopping and changing recently. Probably the largest contributing factor to his club record 8 game losing run in 2017. But he appears to be re-visiting this tactical style, swapping players left right and centre, playing lads out of position and changing up the formation to cater to an opposition at the detriment of our own strengths. I struggle to keep up with all of the changes myself, surely the players come a bit unstuck and confused with what their role is?

Well one things for sure if you are looking for an answer to the question of what is the much heralded identity that we've got back tough. I think that's the answer the chopping and changing is the only stable thing that's been occurring over the last 20 games!

Now I've wanted Lee to do well since he joined, I feel the club has given him more than enough chances to make things happen. However I don't truthfully believe he will push us into the Premier League, we've gone backwards from last year and it is just not enjoyable to watch us at the moment. I hope he proves me wrong and get us there but I don't think he will. The problem is if he does leave or gets sacked, which is very unlikely because he has the safest job in football, I don't think the club will go for experience. David Moyes's name has been waved around and I think he would do wonders for us, but I believe the hierarchy at the club are after people that will just abide by what they want to happen instead of listening to the managers that know how to get teams to the top tiers. You could see them just appointing from within with Mcallister or Holden stepping up.

Yawn, yet another LJ thread. 

Not another anti LJ thread............:sleeping:

Jeez........I’ll ask this again, what is it about ‘ LJ is going nowhere’ that they don’t understand?    :dunno:

Its completely and utterly a pointless exercise. 

Just accept it and stop starting pointless anti Johnson threads.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jeez........I’ll ask this again, what is it about ‘ LJ is going nowhere’ that they don’t understand?    :dunno:

So Moyes hasn't been in Guernsey having talks with SL then ;) 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think a lot of people realise this, that is why we have so much apathy about the club..

1 minute ago, GlastonburyRed said:

It's just what my Father told me, :laugh:. My Dad's from Bridgwater so this is likely lacking any basis whatsoever, but even a broken clock is correct twice a day eh. 

Done deal then...

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Could you please provide a concise list of threads we have your permission to post about.

Team selection I believe is also off your agenda ,guess the attendance , lack of atmosphere,what train are we getting have also been done to death.

In fact the only the only original threads are indeed provided by NTTDS and at times  I'm looking for a charitable explanation that doesn't involve popular mind bending substances.  

2 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Could you please provide a concise list of threads we have your permission to post about.

Team selection I believe is also off your agenda ,guess the attendance , lack of atmosphere,what train are we getting have also been done to death.

In fact the only the only original threads are indeed provided by NTTDS and at times  

My point is that anti LJ threads have been done to death so why bother?     :dunno:

16 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

In fact the only the only original threads are indeed provided by NTTDS and at times  I'm looking for a charitable explanation that doesn't involve popular mind bending substances.  

Suggest some new songs, he loves those threads.

I'm still loyal to LJ. We're three season's in the Championship. Mid table. That's fine with me. Unlike a lot of fans, I'm not insisting that we get promoted every season, or else the manager has to go. Who says anyone else would achieve the Holy Grail? I'd much rather stick with someone who clearly loves the club, and realises it's a slow and steady progress to greater glory, than a journeyman manager who's only in it for the money.

I would love it for Johnson to prove people wrong. Bring it on!

1 hour ago, KINGERS said:

You decide Mr Lansdown.

Archived