Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Offside

Picture of old Open End at AG

On 01/01/2019 at 01:28, redysteadygo said:

What's this Park End nonsense, always the Open End until a Stand was built surely.

We're the park end ,we're the park end ,we're the park end aston gate  - in reply to the east end -   open end just wouldn't of worked 🙂 

On 30/12/2018 at 22:25, Der no.2 said:

Remember being in there vs Newcastle when pieces of train started raining down on us.

Also most away fans i saw there was Man City, they were on something of an unbeaten run and we turned them over. Happy days.

Yeah, can remember Man City filling the whole end for a league game, about 79 ish.

On 31/12/2018 at 19:21, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I was sat in the East End that night, remember seeing the home and away sections of the Open End suddenly empty during half time. Obviously fans from both sides had piled around the back of the terrace after the gates had been forced open.

Cardiff forced the gates behind the terrace, they ran in to our side all cocky and full of themselves, two minutes later they were clamouring to get back through the gates to safety, they took an absolute battering, a few were carried back in if my memory serves me right. 

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yeah, can remember Man City filling the whole end for a league game, about 79 ish.

Garland 1-0 ? I remember one of their players said we weren’t fit to tie their boots, but bitter I thought 🤔😂

1 hour ago, rat23 said:

We're the park end ,we're the park end ,we're the park end aston gate  - in reply to the east end -   open end just wouldn't of worked 🙂 

Almost as lame as LJ for his comment when bringing Taylor on. We got a song for him!

Only joking.

24 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Garland 1-0 ? I remember one of their players said we weren’t fit to tie their boots, but bitter I thought 🤔😂

Man. City Captain Mike Doyle, on MOTD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Thought it was, but not 100% . Went to the Isle of Man for a scooter rally a few years ago. One of the guys there was a big Man City fan, and when we started chatting at the bar this was the first game he mentioned. 

On 01/01/2019 at 13:24, Robbored said:

These days I wouldn’t bother to ask........

These days if she opened her blouse, her tits would probably bounce off her knees!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, downendcity said:

These days if she opened her blouse, her tits would probably bounce off her knees!

@Robbored would triple his offer to see that.

Was she a West Brom fan?

Boing! boing!

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Haha 1

:laugh: I remember being in the corner for a crucial derby game, '90s sometime, we were 1-0 up with about 10-15 mins to go; I yelled at Alexander "Oi, Alexander, how come you've not got sent off yet?"

Two minutes later, Alexander stops one on the line with his hand, off he goes.  Bloke next to me thinks I'm Mystic Meg.

Tinman whacks in the pen and comes and dances round the corner flag in front of us.  Love it.

• Haha 1

On 31/12/2018 at 16:16, wendyredredrobin said:

Blimey, when I started going, it cost me half a crown (12.5p to anyone too young to remember) and when I reached the ripe old age of 14 and could illegally buy a pint in the rising sun, it cost me exactly the same  😀

3d (old pence) for me into the EastEnd or free if you went in at half time :ill::city:

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

@Robbored would triple his offer to see that.

Was she a West Brom fan?

Boing! boing!

I’d pass at that Nogbad...

7 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

So did Charlton for the FA Cup game 

I just remembered another of my occasional forays on to the Park End. The night we beat Spurs 1-0 to effectively relegate them. I remember I got a right good kicking off some of theirs on that muddy old path that went from behind the EE out to Winterstoke Road afterwards.

On 31/12/2018 at 08:42, Red Grovesy said:

Some pretty good pictures in this book.

Are you in any of these pictures (all taken from the book)?

2018-12-31 08.30.23.jpg

2018-12-31 08.36.25.jpg

2018-12-31 08.36.35.jpg

2018-12-31 08.36.01.jpg

I am in the second picture down!! Hands in the air with black and white striped sleeves!!  Absolutely brilliant days. 😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mtimmy11 said:

First game 70’s v Man City standing on my dads motorcycle helmet in the park end 0.0 but saw myself on motd later

I used to stand on my dad’s toolbox, an old army ammo box.  Imagine trying to get that in now.

On 03/01/2019 at 20:09, BobBobSuperBob said:

Who can forget afterwards when they let everyone out at same time with just a rope to divide home and away fans... all hell went off there after. 

P.S Scott Minto is still a prick 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

16 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Yep, Charlton had the whole end.

The match with Scott Minto's sporting throw-in - we would have played Manchester United in the next round 😬.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

I was up in the top corner when we beat Rovers with the Donawa goal. Mental night great memories.

I was in the EE that night but I wish I`d been where you were! That must be one of those moments that you can still replay in your mind second by second.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I was in the EE that night but I wish I`d been where you were! That must be one of those moments that you can still replay in your mind second by second.

it was amazing even with the flying coins!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Sat in b block of the dolman for that game 

remember everything singing city are back ,city are back at the final whistle and giving rovers a taste of there own medicine 

seem to remember there was a badge made up after that game that was sold outside the ground next game with CITY ARE BACK  on it ,but might be dreaming that ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Sat in b block of the dolman for that game 

remember everything singing city are back ,city are back at the final whistle and giving rovers a taste of there own medicine 

seem to remember there was a badge made up after that game that was sold outside the ground next game with CITY ARE BACK  on it ,but might be dreaming that ?

I may just be imagining the memory but in my mind the goal went in after they`d spent ten minutes singing `Will you ever beat the gas?`

It`s probably what I wish had happened though rather than what actually did!

19 hours ago, PolskRed said:

I am in the second picture down!! Hands in the air with black and white striped sleeves!!  Absolutely brilliant days. 😁

In that case I’m somewhere right behind you. We spent several years standing up against the fence next to mike the steward!

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I may just be imagining the memory but in my mind the goal went in after they`d spent ten minutes singing `Will you ever beat the gas?`

It`s probably what I wish had happened though rather than what actually did!

After Donowa's goal 3 sides of the ground were pointing at the Rovers fans singing, 'Irene,**** off Irene, Irene **** off, **** off, Irene, **** off Irene, the gas are going down.'

Apparently Radio Bristol reported it as fantastic support BY the Rovers supporters, singing 'Irene' and outshouting the home fans until the final whistle. :doh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

After Donowa's goal 3 sides of the ground were pointing at the Rovers fans singing, 'Irene,**** off Irene, Irene **** off, **** off, Irene, **** off Irene, the gas are going down.'

Apparently Radio Bristol reported it as fantastic support BY the Rovers supporters, singing 'Irene' and outshouting the home fans until the final whistle. :doh:

Well they would say that wouldn`t they?

• Like 2

After that game a mate , who did a Fanzine for a short time, produced a little pin badge to commemorate the evening. Just so happens it's still on my pin board now.

IMG_9906.jpeg

• Like 1

On 04/01/2019 at 07:42, TomF said:

Who can forget afterwards when they let everyone out at same time with just a rope to dive home and away fans... all hell went off there after. 

P.S Scott Minto is still a ***** 

haha, and just to compound the 'piece of rope' as segregation, there was a skip right outside filled to the brim with masonry, bricks, planks, bottles :D I would be certain there wasn't even a speck of dust left in it. Chaos that day, the whole of Ashton Road felt like a running battle for an hour after the game!

On 03/01/2019 at 23:12, PolskRed said:

likewise, would have been just behind you - can't see me because no matter which vantage point i ever found, the tallest blokes in bristol would always enter on kick-off and stand in front of me :D

classic times! 

btw, any idea what match this photo was taken? I'm guessing something along the lines of Brentford, last match of the season? 

22 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

likewise, would have been just behind you - can't see me because no matter which vantage point i ever found, the tallest blokes in bristol would always enter on kick-off and stand in front of me :D

classic times! 

btw, any idea what match this photo was taken? I'm guessing something along the lines of Brentford, last match of the season? 

Was the Brentford game the one when they went down? Meet a few after the game I knew from england games and I seem to recall they brought a load down and lost and were relagted.  And judging buy the city tops and talking to polskred seem to think it was the 90/91 season 

5 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Was the Brentford game the one when they went down? Meet a few after the game I knew from england games and I seem to recall they brought a load down and lost and were relagted.  And judging buy the city tops and talking to polskred seem to think it was the 90/91 season 

yep, was thinking of the Brentford game we sent them down - they took a fair few, the middle section that was usually kept neutral was opened for them. But yes, you're right, looking at the tops think I'm totally wrong!

On the subject of the 'neutral' zone, loved that Forest game over Christmas when it was opened up for us. We got tanked 4-1 (Collymore hattrick?) but still a grand old atmosphere. Two gasheads in the away end making themselves known - they realized the error of their ways outside later!! 

Going back to the donawa game all i can remember was the desolation of the penalty being awarded and then relief/elation of leanings save.

as for the goal time stood still as everyone willed donawas goal over the line  ☺ 

a sore throat and lost voice never felt so good!

On 30/12/2018 at 20:52, Offside said:

Saw this picture on Facebook. Brings back memories.

FB_IMG_1546202814079.jpg

Shows how we’ve moved on, good memories. Looks like Swindon town away end still, 

we’re now a million miles away from Swindon and the Gas,, mind the gap!!!’

On 03/01/2019 at 13:44, Nogbad the Bad said:

Slightly off topic, but, his grandson is in the current Man City youth team and is a class act. Unlike Mike Doyle he’s a central midfielder, very much all action, a sort of younger version of Kevin De Bruyne but more aggressive. Could have a big future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

haha, and just to compound the 'piece of rope' as segregation, there was a skip right outside filled to the brim with masonry, bricks, planks, bottles :D I would be certain there wasn't even a speck of dust left in it. Chaos that day, the whole of Ashton Road felt like a running battle for an hour after the game!

I can still remember to this day a Charlton lad ( wearing a white Sweatshirt with Timberland emblazoned on the front) outside the Wedlock pub, pulling a BIG knife out from his sleeve, it was so big it shined in the lights!!. Nasty day!

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I can still remember to this day a Charlton lad ( wearing a white Sweatshirt with Timberland emblazoned on the front) outside the Wedlock pub, pulling a BIG knife out from his sleeve, it was so big it shined in the lights!!. Nasty day!

Was such bad feeling over Charltons goal I’m sure it made things ten times worse. Seem to remember someone charging over a car bonnet by wedlock’s shouting come on then. That was the queue for it all to kick off. Frightening when your 13 years old  at the time! 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Was such bad feeling over Charltons goal I’m sure it made things ten times worse. Seem to remember someone charging over a car bonnet by wedlock’s shouting come on then. That was the queue for it all to kick off. Frightening when your 13 years old  at the time! 

Strange isn’t it, I can remember what I said Re the Charlton fan clearly, but can’t remember anything about what happened for Charlton’s goal. Please remind me 👍.

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Strange isn’t it, I can remember what I said Re the Charlton fan clearly, but can’t remember anything about what happened for Charlton’s goal. Please remind me 👍.

We knocked the ball out of play as a Charlton player was injured. Scott Minto then refused to throw it back to a city player and subsequently Charlton scored from the resulting play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Found this online...

IMG_0002.PNG

That takes me back. That`s the little grassed area on the corner of Smyth Road and Winterstoke Road which is still there with the retail park on the bus station site behind. It`s an odd thing for someone to take a photo of though unless it was the council for road repairs or something.

31 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Found this online...

IMG_0002.PNG

Great photo. For some reason always remember all the fire bells on the front of the wills building.

Anyone remember the signal box which sadly got torched further down the road? 

on the subject of the Open End and that Charlton game, anyone else remember a huge, half naked fatty crowd surfing in the away end that day? A light moment on a day defined by hardcore brutality! 

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Great photo. For some reason always remember all the fire bells on the front of the wills building.

Quite a different view now 

086B90D9-1A7E-4043-A467-25044D2D50BB.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TomF said:

Yep...

IMG_0011.PNG

IMG_0012.PNG

• Like 3

this pic is before my time, but just saw it for the first time - courtesy of one of the City posters on a football grounds page I'm on. What a beautiful sight this is!!!! (If you're wondering, City v Wolves, 1980 according to the original poster - photo taken by his dad!). 

49653971_10156936733017453_8780007008179847168_n.jpg

Edited by poland_exile
  • Like 3