IGNORED

Jamie Mc says we’ve learnt from last year....

BCFC1512

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

If we don't bring in a striker then for me, following last year's debacle....it's all the proof you need to show that Lansdown doesn't really want this club in the Prem 

The shambles of the 2008 transfer window was bad enough, last year was even more of a cock up....

A third time is not a coincidence. 

I've read this many times. But nobody has ever been able to provide a solid reason as to why Steve Lansdown wouldn't want City to reach the Premier League. What possible reason would any owner have to not want to reach the most lucrative league in the world? ?

@Taunton_BCFC So who should we have gone out and signed and at what approx cost?

Surely you have an idea, or are you just trying to cause friction and arguments? I mean there must have been loads for it to be a shambles and we have missed out on them all?

36 minutes ago, wood_red said:

@Taunton_BCFC So who should we have gone out and signed and at what approx cost?

I'm going to go with Harry Kane for £1m and 10k a week. 

With the way some people on here seem to be insisting on a striker we could have signed Van Dijk and Messi and they would be annoyed we hadn't also signed Salah.

1 minute ago, wood_red said:

Surely you have an idea, or are you just trying to cause friction and arguments? I mean there must have been loads for it to be a shambles and we have missed out on them all?

I don’t know but I’m not paid 1000s to decide that! The lad Fulham got imo! Look I’m just disappointed after LJ said we we’re after a striker we didn’t get one in. Not his fault I know but why not just say nothing.

20 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

I don’t know but I’m not paid 1000s to decide that! The lad Fulham got imo! Look I’m just disappointed after LJ said we we’re after a striker we didn’t get one in. Not his fault I know but why not just say nothing.

Is possible we got quoted something like an £8m loan fee plus half a seasons wages for Assombalonga- that would rule us out right away.

@BobBobSuperBob I'm just guessing in this instance, purely a guess. That would be beyond our budget IMO.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is possible we got quoted an £8m loan fee plus wages for Assombalonga- that would rule us out right away.

But why tho. Take the gamble. If we go on and win promotion it’s a drop in the ocean! If not he goes back. Beats wasting millions on players like Taylor Moore who never play for us and end up out on loan 

If we don't bring in a striker then for me, following last year's debacle....it's all the proof you need to show that Lansdown doesn't really want this club in the Prem 

The shambles of the 2008 transfer window was bad enough, last year was even more of a cock up....

Do you truly believe what you have written?

2 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

But why tho. Take the gamble. If we go on and win promotion it’s a drop in the ocean! If not he goes back. Beats wasting millions on players like Taylor Moore who never play for us and end up out on loan 

3 words. Financial Fair Play. This has for breaching associated possible punishments and that scenario gamble + fail=issues moving forward. Agreed we could have invested differently in other areas- in short I see both sides of the argument!

The wages not the problem, a modest loan fee (say £1-2m) not the problem- we don't know what we were quoted though. May have been that the club were keen, but saw the figures, saw our rolling 3 year loss and were scared off.  Could be that the club are looking to save cash this January for next season or perhaps a big push in Summer 2020 and that kind of deal would have jeopardised this.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is possible we got quoted something like an £8m loan fee plus half a seasons wages for Assombalonga- that would rule us out right away.

@BobBobSuperBob I'm just guessing in this instance, purely a guess. That would be beyond our budget IMO.

You may be right Mr P in this lunatic world 

But I’d want Harry Kane for that !!

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Signing Palmer and keeping Semenyo around good enough for me. Our squad is wholly different to last year's.

100 per cent agree...........great to make the play offs this season, but if we don't, or we do and fail to win it.........then there is always next season. Keeping Semenyo and giving him hopefully 10 -15 games could be great news.  Far better than gambling a fortune on fees and wages IMHO.  Of course it could backfire, but I think it's the right approach.

I don't understand why people think in the last few hours of every transfer window that we're about to **** off the recruitment strategy we've adopted for years.

And as for the people saying Lansdown 'doesn't want to go up', could you please provide me with one single even half coherent reason why he wouldn't? It's just utter, utter shite from people having juvenile paddies because we won't spunk money on shit when they think we should imo.

So if we got to the prem , we won’t sign anyone , we’ll go with what we’ve got . 

Does landsdown want prem football ? He wouldn’t want to buy established names give them a couple year contract , and certainly begrudge paying decent wages.   

I think he’s happy with a championship team , playing money ball , using terms like sustainable and hiding behind ffp. 

Sorry but that is blinkered and misguided.....and I'm being polite.

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

100 per cent agree...........great to make the play offs this season, but if we don't, or we do and fail to win it.........then there is always next season. Keeping Semenyo and giving him hopefully 10 -15 games could be great news.  Far better than gambling a fortune on fees and wages IMHO.  Of course it could backfire, but I think it's the right approach.

It's a vicious circle though isn't it

Sell our best players in the summer 

Rebuild

Get near the play-offs

Bottle the transfer window

Come mid-table 

Repeat.....

17 minutes ago, kivsy said:

So if we got to the prem , we won’t sign anyone , we’ll go with what we’ve got . 

Does landsdown want prem football ? He wouldn’t want to buy established names give them a couple year contract , and certainly begrudge paying decent wages.   

I think he’s happy with a championship team , playing money ball , using terms like sustainable and hiding behind ffp. 

Different League I appreciate, but moneyball, with the right coaching, academy, infrastructure etc can be very successful- provided you recruit really well too and accept that it can take time as well. Also you need to build in flexibility and roll the dice when required.

I give you Atalanta. 3 years ago they were struggling down the bottom of Serie A. Hit upon some very good youth who they fielded a load of v Napoli and Inter Milan in Autumn 2016 and flourished from there- well they've always seemingly had a good youth system but this seemed an excellent crop. Have reinvested profits at decent % and now beat Juventus 3-0 last night- dominant in Italy Juventus and put together a strong Europa League run last year. Great scouting network, strong academy and yet have had progression at a fairly quick rate.

We have some aspects of this but not others. I think we lack in the flexibility when it comes to seizing an opportunity when it comes about for example. We're getting there on the recruitment and player trading side- getting there but hit and miss. On the other hand, our youth setup is flourishing, Infrastructure being put in place will stand us in good stead. Now I'm not saying we'll go to Europa League, more that explaining money, and total expenditure isn't everything.

3 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

No we haven’t! Once again we goto January in a cracking position and have failed to sign a striker who will fire us to the next step! Did we not see Fulham last season!! When will we learn! Take a risk SL

But we did sign a striker last January... and paid big wages and a loan fee for him. 

Splashing the cash doesn't always work out. More than happy if we just stick with Semenyo and Palmer.

19 minutes ago, kivsy said:

What, to cost him £10m pa? Could you explain why please?

FFP isn't something he's 'hiding behind', it's literally a rule of the league that we are competing in.

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It's a vicious circle though isn't it

Sell our best players in the summer 

Rebuild

Get near the play-offs

Bottle the transfer window

Come mid-table 

Repeat.....

But it would have been so easy to take Chelski's money and sell Semenyo.........the fact that we haven't, seems to indicate to me that things are changing. I think it's a posiitve move.  We shall see. Trying to buy success hasn't appeared to work for Villa?

46 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Not his fault I know but why not just say nothing.

Not quite sure how you say nothing? 

You can’t force players to come here, quite a few see Bristol as an outpost as opposed to Manchester etc or obviously London.

Put yourself in this position - in your workplace, when you feel you’re working hard as you can and others are brought in way over the existing wage structure (and your pay) then loads of staff will get upset and they suddenly may not put as much effort in as the company would like.

What would you do, quietly accept it for the ‘team’ or find a better paid job yourself? 

Most companies have a wage structure which a new person has to fit into  

We’re building the team in both depth and skill and raising the bar on wages in a sustainable way to avoid FFP problems. 

We’d all like to have a crack at the Premiership but you can’t do it overnight. 

3 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Signing Palmer and keeping Semenyo around good enough for me. Our squad is wholly different to last year's.

Keeping everyone else too. 

Was convinced O'Dowda was off but Leeds signed someone else now.   Thought O'Neill would be sniffing around given he rates him, but nothing so far at least. 

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Different League I appreciate, but moneyball, with the right coaching, academy, infrastructure etc can be very successful- provided you recruit really well too and accept that it can take time as well. Also you need to build in flexibility and roll the dice when required.

I give you Atalanta. 3 years ago they were struggling down the bottom of Serie A. Hit upon some very good youth who they fielded a load of v Napoli and Inter Milan in Autumn 2016 and flourished from there- well they've always seemingly had a good youth system but this seemed an excellent crop. Have reinvested profits at decent % and now beat Juventus 3-0 last night- dominant in Italy Juventus and put together a strong Europa League run last year. Great scouting network, strong academy and yet have had progression at a fairly quick rate.

We have some aspects of this but not others. I think we lack in the flexibility when it comes to seizing an opportunity when it comes about for example. We're getting there on the recruitment and player trading side- getting there but hit and miss. On the other hand, our youth setup is flourishing, Infrastructure being put in place will stand us in good stead. Now I'm not saying we'll go to Europa League, more that explaining money, and total expenditure isn't everything.

That is exactly what I want the club to do.  Hopefully, when we get promotion it will be more sustainable rather than yo yo.

24 minutes ago, maxjak said:

But it would have been so easy to take Chelski's money and sell Semenyo.........the fact that we haven't, seems to indicate to me that things are changing. I think it's a posiitve move.  We shall see. Trying to buy success hasn't appeared to work for Villa?

It's not 'buying success".....it's buying a player for a position we desperately need filled 

8 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

That is exactly what I want the club to do.  Hopefully, when we get promotion it will be more sustainable rather than yo yo.

IF we get promotion!! With the money in this league I think it will get harder.

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

IF we get promotion!! With the money in this league I think it will get harder.

True.  Personally I don't care about the Premier League any time soon or even at all  As long as we play good football and play local youth and are competitive then that'll do me. 

Archived