IGNORED

Lee Johnson’s Replacement?

Negan

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Bigger salary. Bigger transfer budget

The loyalty from LJ you describe is very admirable but doesnt exist in the modern game. Johnson is highly ambitious and if we don’t match his ambition he will go elsewhere.

Lots of reasons - LJ is ambitious for  sure and want to manage in the PL but with City.....and he’s been given time to build his own squad.  He wouldn’t get that anywhere else.

I be utterly amazed if he’d betray the trust SL has in him.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Lots of reasons - LJ is ambitious for  sure and want to manage in the PL but with City.....and he’s been given time to build his own squad.  He wouldn’t get that anywhere else.

Well I hope you are right, although Brentford probably said the same about Dean Smith. Triples his wages at Villa with a promise of big transfer funds...it happens

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Put all you can on it IF LJ goes!

In fact when LJ goes, and he will eventually, I think Appleton is nailed on as long as MA is still here.

The only thing that may change that is if LJ is sacked ( not likely )  then Holden and McAllister might get the gig.

He fits what we would be after

If things continue to progress as they are then as and when LJ leaves, I would guess that SL will want a replacement who buys into the Bristol City way of doing things/philosophy , and doesn't demand a "war chest" to buy a new team as soon as he gets the job.

I would imagine that would narrow down the options considerably.

On 03/03/2019 at 10:01, Negan said:

Now whilst I don’t think it’s likely I suppose we can’t rule it out completely that Lee Johnson could be off to Fulham. It got me thinking who’d we bring in to replace him? 

An option would be Holden and Jamie Mac take over for the rest of the season, which is something I think our board would do just so things stay familiar for the run in. I wouldn’t be to upset with that should it mean we take our time looking for a replacement and for me there are only 2 men’s doors I’d be knocking on to ask to take on our club. Alex Neil or Slavisa Jokanovic. Both excellent at this level and play football similar to our current style.

Obviously I hope Johnson stays as I think if he left now it would disrupt our season but a London club in the premier league, offering him much higher wages might be a big pull for LJ. Looks likely they’ll be relegated but they’ll be among the favourites for the title next season...  

He wont go as this was his dream team that he always wanted to be manager of!!

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Lincoln are pretty direct too if Danny Cowley is being talked about.

Believe they’re playing a bit more football these days, evolving as they make their way back in the football league....one of the reasons Eisa was an option to go there on loan.

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Moyes, all day long for me ....as long as he doesn't bring Lumsden with him.

What have you got against Lumsden? He wouldn’t be interested in coming back now as he’s 71 - but he was on the management team at PNE when they got to the league one play offs in 1999, then when they went up as champions in 2000 and again when they got into the championship play off final in 2001. He has also been first team coach at both Everton and Man Utd and assistant manager at Leeds - and he signed Dziekanowski for us....

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What have you got against Lumsden? He wouldn’t be interested in coming back now as he’s 71 - but he was on the management team at PNE when they got to the league one play offs in 1999, then when they went up as champions in 2000 and again when they got into the championship play off final in 2001. He has also been first team coach at both Everton and Man Utd and assistant manager at Leeds - and he signed Dziekanowski for us....

Age didnt stop him being Moyes assistant at Man U and look how well that turned out all round.

What have I got against him.......I could never forgive him for selling Bob Taylor mid season for a knock down price to WBA, Because in his words, "Taylor didn't work hard enough."

He then persisted in playing Allison who was a shadow of the player that he had just sold.

Yes Jaki was a great signing but after beating Blackburn 4-1 on the first day of the season we should have done much, much better that season with the players we had then and in my opinion Lumsden was just a very poor manager who was lucky to get the job after Jordan had left.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Age didnt stop him being Moyes assistant at Man U and look how well that turned out all round.

What have I got against him.......I could never forgive him for selling Bob Taylor mid season for a knock down price to WBA, Because in his words, "Taylor didn't work hard enough."

He then persisted in playing Allison who was a shadow of the player that he had just sold.

Yes Jaki was a great signing but after beating Blackburn 4-1 on the first day of the season we should have done much, much better that season with the players we had then and in my opinion Lumsden was just a very poor manager who was lucky to get the job after Jordan had left.

I think you’re getting a bit confused Sir Geoff....Taylor played 45 games in Lumsden’s first season in charge (1990/1991) and we actually beat Blackburn 4-2 on the first day of that season - then Taylor played 22 games from the start of the 1991/1992 season before Lumsden sold him to WBA in January 1992 - Lumsden then left the club less than a month later (in February 1992) so I’m not sure how he could have ‘persisted in playing Allison’ after Taylor left?! And Lumsden was only at the club for a matter of weeks after he signed Jacki so he can’t be responsible for the form of the team and the players for the rest of that season...

Archived