IGNORED

Lee Johnson’s Replacement?

Negan

Now whilst I don’t think it’s likely I suppose we can’t rule it out completely that Lee Johnson could be off to Fulham. It got me thinking who’d we bring in to replace him? 

An option would be Holden and Jamie Mac take over for the rest of the season, which is something I think our board would do just so things stay familiar for the run in. I wouldn’t be to upset with that should it mean we take our time looking for a replacement and for me there are only 2 men’s doors I’d be knocking on to ask to take on our club. Alex Neil or Slavisa Jokanovic. Both excellent at this level and play football similar to our current style.

Obviously I hope Johnson stays as I think if he left now it would disrupt our season but a London club in the premier league, offering him much higher wages might be a big pull for LJ. Looks likely they’ll be relegated but they’ll be among the favourites for the title next season...  

IMV this would be a nightmare for SL.

A good acquaintance of his told me SL hated changing managers. The uncertainty of making the right decision weighs very heavily on him.

For SL the situation of appointing LJ has worked out exceptionally well in just about every aspect of the decision he took and what he requires of someone in that position.

Personally I think he would find it very difficult ,should LJ leave, to find the type of replacement who would tick all the boxes.

Much more difficult to fill a vacancy of a successful Head Coach who leaves, rather than to replace a failure.

If he went, I’m sure he’d want to take his assistants. 

The club seems to be structured in a certain way now & wouldn’t surprise me if we went for another bloke who could operate in a similar fashion. 

Be intriguing to see who would manage the first team if Johnson, Holden and McAllister all went at once! Luke Williams?

57 minutes ago, Negan said:

Now whilst I don’t think it’s likely I suppose we can’t rule it out completely that Lee Johnson could be off to Fulham. It got me thinking who’d we bring in to replace him? 

An option would be Holden and Jamie Mac take over for the rest of the season, which is something I think our board would do just so things stay familiar for the run in. I wouldn’t be to upset with that should it mean we take our time looking for a replacement and for me there are only 2 men’s doors I’d be knocking on to ask to take on our club. Alex Neil or Slavisa Jokanovic. Both excellent at this level and play football similar to our current style.

Obviously I hope Johnson stays as I think if he left now it would disrupt our season but a London club in the premier league, offering him much higher wages might be a big pull for LJ. Looks likely they’ll be relegated but they’ll be among the favourites for the title next season...  

Alex Neil similar to our current style? Guess you didn't watch the hoof-ball served up yesterday?

10 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Alex Neil similar to our current style? Guess you didn't watch the hoof-ball served up yesterday?

Same as us yesterday then!!  We were pretty direct yesterday.

For me, I go back to the same 3 names.

Garry Monk

Uwe Rosler

Paul Cook

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Garry Monk

Uwe Rosler

Paul Cook

You can see above I agree on Monk. Cook also a good shout. I’d add Paul Warne to my list of ‘wants’

Puzzled on your Rosler shout though. Seems to have failed at most places and fans hounded him out. What makes you want him?

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You can see above I agree on Monk. Cook also a good shout. I’d add Paul Warne to my list of ‘wants’

Puzzled on your Rosler shout though. Seems to have failed at most places and fans hounded him out. What makes you want him?

Did a really good job at Brentford, mixed at Wigan, poor at basket case Leeds, then good again at Fleetwood.  Now doing an excellent job at Malmo.

Think he’d suit a club like ours.  Has good playing calibre to enthuse players, and experience of other markets that he could exploit.

Not sure about Garry Monk. Rather like Rowett, he's shown he can turn a mediocre/under-performing team into a decent one, but whether he can turn a decent one into a promotion side is rather up for debate.

Neill or Wilder would be great but I couldn't see them leaving their current jobs to join us, Jokanovic doesn't seem overly eager to get back into work. David Wagner maybe a possibility?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if when the time comes we go for a left-field option; someone from Europe we've never heard of.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Garry Monk

Uwe Rosler

Paul Cook

Because we had to as Preston went out to make it a scrappy game from the start. First half we tried to be clever and was not working. 

Questionable whether Monk would leave Birmingham, their FFP penalty whatever it ends up being could be an influence on that, if they make it through next season fine then they should be okay. However they've shown they clearly have more of a budget for wages etc and probably would even if they scaled back, a move to us would probably only look attractive if things went belly up at Birmingham.

He won't be leaving any time soon imo...regardless of who come in for him.

Unless we are heading towards league 1 and the fans turn on him, then he'll be here for years.

Long term plan with continual sustainability and gradual progress.

Why rock the boat when you are achieving so much in developing a club.

This club has come a very long way in the few years LJ has been with us.

Some managers need to be the right fit for a club....LJ is first and foremost a Coach not a manager.

He won't fit most Clubs bigger and better than us imo.

He needs windows to build teams and to get them to play his way. We've seen how long that takes...and have many mistakes along that journey.

He'd be mad to leave just yet and we'd be mad to let him go imo.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

If he went, I’m sure he’d want to take his assistants. 

The club seems to be structured in a certain way now & wouldn’t surprise me if we went for another bloke who could operate in a similar fashion. 

Be intriguing to see who would manage the first team if Johnson, Holden and McAllister all went at once! Luke Williams?

He might want to take his assistants but ;

a) They might fancy moving up to head coach 

b) That’s going to cost his next club an awful lot of compensation to bring them in with LJ .

Archived