IGNORED

City to spend big in the summer

Major Isewater

57 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Just a little thing I picked up on Robin’s on the Wire GM said that City will spend big this Summer regardless of the division we’re in .

Does he have inside information ?

No......he (whoever he is..........:facepalm:)  will not have inside information. 

I seriously doubt LJ will have the budget to afford top Championship quality players, particularly strikers who’ll come with high wedge demands which SL won’t fund.

LJ will be working next season under the same restraints - unless City are promoted to the PL and then it’ll be all change..

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No......he (whoever he is..........:facepalm:)  will not have inside information. 

I seriously doubt LJ will have the budget to afford top Championship quality players, particularly strikers who’ll come with high wedge demands which SL won’t fund.

LJ will be working next season under the same restraints - unless City are promoted to the PL and then it’ll be all change..

He is Gregor McGregor.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Just a little thing I picked up on Robin’s on the Wire GM said that City will spend big this Summer regardless of the division we’re in .

Are we really going to finally step up in quality throughout the squad ?

Depends what he means by spend big.

I’m sure there will be some money there, but I suspect some will have to be funded by selling players too, e.g. the likes of Baker.  Imho, LJ needs to trim the squad, SL need to stop giving him “clubs in the bag” at £1.0-1.5m, they are draining the budget to bring in players that LJ himself says ‘need to be better than what we’ve got, or capable of improving what we’ve got”.

This happens every year, there is a rumour or inside information that we're going to spend big and then it's the same old same old. 

We're not going to spend big in the sense that we're going to compete financially with the other teams in this league because simply put we can't. Even if we spent bigger than usual there will still be 3 teams coming down with parachute paymenys that will be able to out spend us off they choose to. 

We may spend more than usual, who knows, but we won't be making any waves in this league with what we do spend. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure there will be some money there, but I suspect some will have to be funded by selling players too, e.g. the likes of Baker.  Imho, LJ needs to trim the squad, SL need to stop giving him “clubs in the bag” at £1.0-1.5m, they are draining the budget to bring in players that LJ himself says ‘need to be better than what we’ve got, or capable of improving what we’ve got”.

Your last sentence sums up SLs philosophy perfectly.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

This happens every year, there is a rumour or inside information that we're going to spend big and then it's the same old same old. 

We're not going to spend big in the sense that we're going to compete financially with the other teams in this league because simply put we can't. Even if we spent bigger than usual there will still be 3 teams coming down with parachute paymenys that will be able to out spend us off they choose to. 

We may spend more than usual, who knows, but we won't be making any waves in this league with what we do spend. 

In. A. Nut. Shell.

Steve Lansdown is now 67.. as the years tick by, that £1.5 billion he has will be burning a very big hole in his pocket.. 

He will start to spend big sooner rather than later. But with FFP he has to increase our turnover each year also, which is what is happening.

As the turnover goes up, ffp will allow us to spend more, and the older SL gets the more he will be spending.. he can’t take it with him.

He will leave a massive legacy in the history of bcfc.

Be careful about what we wish for.

As soon as SL buys promotion he will sell the football club and we will end up in the hands of either a Far East, Middle East or American investor.

The only way he can recoup his investment is through selling 'the potential' from being in the premiership.

Quite why we have wasted money on one's for the future like engval, moore, eisa etc when that money would have bought a 20 goal a season striker is beyond me.

Cotterill was right to keep some of the subs places empty in his reign and to ask for proven quality, not quantity that 'might work one day'

37 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

Be careful about what we wish for.

As soon as SL buys promotion he will sell the football club and we will end up in the hands of either a Far East, Middle East or American investor.

The only way he can recoup his investment is through selling 'the potential' from being in the premiership.

Quite why we have wasted money on one's for the future like engval, moore, eisa etc when that money would have bought a 20 goal a season striker is beyond me.

Cotterill was right to keep some of the subs places empty in his reign and to ask for proven quality, not quantity that 'might work one day'

Another way to look at it is his son is at the club and maybe, just maybe he loves Bristol City and will move the club into his sons hands? 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Are we really going to finally step up in quality throughout the squad ?

If we wouldn't spend when we were in the playoffs then it is hard to imagine we will start to compete with the club's who have some ambition next season.

14 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

If we wouldn't spend when we were in the playoffs then it is hard to imagine we will start to compete with the club's who have some ambition next season.

He mused that we would be in a much better position with regard to FFP this Summer and the way he said City will spend big this Summer just made me think he knew something was happening.

Listen to their podcast . 

I agree that it would be a major change of policy but maybe that’s what we need to push on ?

I dunno .

:dunno:

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Right..........column filling I guess. Tough job being a sports journalist these days with clubs using their own OS to announce the latest news.

Absolute rubbish.....my Dad was a sports journo - he had to get out there and talk to people to get stories - owners, directors, players, managers, fans, ex players etc etc....he put in thousands of miles a month to get info and feature material....nowadays? Google, cut and paste, never leave the desk....yeh, what a tough job....

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Absolute rubbish.....my Dad was a sports journo - he had to get out there and talk to people to get stories - owners, directors, players, managers, fans, ex players etc etc....he put in thousands of miles a month to get info and feature material....nowadays? Google, cut and paste, never leave the desk....yeh, what a tough job....

None of which will talk outside of formal press conferences anymore, everyone has access to them and the club publish first. Who cares what other fans have to say? Ex players are just as informed as fans.

14 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Your dad? 

When was he a sports journalist? 

Its tough these days because of clubs announcing the latest of their OS.

Richard Latham is a regular speaker at Senior Reds and he would know..........

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think we will go for it personally 

We will have to at some point, I think we have evolved our league 1 winners out for young solid championship players we now have a base to do something with - we just need to do it. 

I hope we spend big for us but hope it is smarter than our usual business. Last summer we spent about 12m but was on about 6 players and a few have very few minutes. I don’t mind a couple like Adelakun or Brownhill who were lower league punts under a mil but less 1.5m on Eisa’s, Engvalls and Moores(who I think has a future still!) 

I hope we take a similar amount like 12-15m and get 3-4 quality players for our starting XI/best 14. This probably means we need to shift a few like Watkins, Baker, Taylor, Wright, Pisano, Fielding. Not all of them but 4-5 fringe players over 25. Hopefully clear out more than we bring in as I feel some of our problems are keeping everyone happy. LJ is not a big rotator when things are going well so less options would be ok. I am a big believer in a strong 15 then filling out with youth. Not sure we can sustain 24-25 players who could all use minutes. I think we may be closer to being able to do this with all our league loans. A lot more options for us now

5 hours ago, MT1970 said:

Steve Lansdown is now 67.. as the years tick by, that £1.5 billion he has will be burning a very big hole in his pocket.. 

He will start to spend big sooner rather than later. But with FFP he has to increase our turnover each year also, which is what is happening.

As the turnover goes up, ffp will allow us to spend more, and the older SL gets the more he will be spending.. he can’t take it with him.

He will leave a massive legacy in the history of bcfc.

Very true. And his son will follow in the footsteps.  A chain of events is in motion.

i understand that the three big sales last season (summer) show up in the accounts this year and spending in the summer is  pretty much nailed on.  Of course if the dream is achieved this year then the prem money is there, I still fancy us next year more than this one

Archived