IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

• Admin

RIP PAUL

THE heartbroken children of a 42-year-old cyclist, who died while taking part in Tour De Bristol, have paid tribute to their 'amazing father'.

Paul Withey, who lived in Mangotsfield, suffered a suspected heart attack while climbing Wrington Hill during St Peter's Hospice's major cycling fundraiser on Saturday.

Other riders rushed to help Mr Withey, along with emergency services, who were there within minutes.

But sadly the father-of-two passed away at the scene.

His children Mollie, 19, and Luke, 17, released a joint statement. They said: "He was such an amazing father and friend and was loved by so many people.

"Nothing is helping the pain at the moment but all the messages we are receiving as a family emphasise how popular and loved he was.

"This was one of many charity events he was involved in, last summer he rode from Bristol to Amsterdam and has completed several charity runs.

"His family always came first, very closely followed by Bristol Rovers.

"We are proud to call him our dad/son/brother."

More than 650 competitors were taking part in St Peter's Hospice's annual Tour De Britain at the weekend including the charity's chief executive Simon Caraffi.

He said: "I would like to offer my condolences to the family and thank both the riders and emergency services who helped him.

"We are all shocked and saddened to learn of the sudden death of Paul Withey. I was on the ride myself and learned the terrible news as I finished.

"He received immediate CPR from other cyclists on the tour and was attended to by a medi-bike and an ambulance within minutes.

"Unfortunately they were unable to save him.

"I was on the road and came across the incident as emergency services were already there.

"The route was closed while investigations were completed, so we re-routed riders and the event was able to continue, despite this sad tragedy, without further incident.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with Paul's family and friends at this difficult time and I'd like to pay tribute to the participants and emergency services who helped at the scene, as well as the riders who cooperated brilliantly while we changed the route.

"Your respectful support was much appreciated.

"This sad incident has cast a shadow over a magnificent day of fundraising by the wonderful people of Bristol."

A post mortem examination is set to be carried out to confirm his cause of death.

South Western Ambulance Service confirmed it received a call at 11am on Saturday to reports of a cyclist suffering a cardiac arrest.

A rapid response vehicle, ambulance crews and air ambulance were dispatched immediately.

They carried out CPR at the scene but sadly he passed away at the scene.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, In the Net said:

1982 - the year when a new company was formed in order to evade the club going out of business. The year when creditors of Bristol City Football Club had to accept a maximum of 20p in the £ - better than nothing, but still a big hit for small, local businesses who supplied goods on credit in good faith.  The year when 8 players agreed to tear up their contracts so that the club would not be declared bankrupt.

Following this, the Football League changed the rules so that this could never happen again - 1982 was not exactly the finest hour in the history of your club was it?

If you read Deryn Collier's account of those days, it seems that they were more concerned about Osborne Clarke buying a £1m worth of shares than they were about the Eastville stadium company - who he describes as "the greyhound people".

Just shows that when backs are against the wall, the business men stop at nothing to survive. I for one am glad that you did manage to keep going, there are some things that I wouldn't wish on any football fan - and losing your club for ever is one of them.

Nice read

7 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

On Saturday before our game against Crawley I had my normal pre match pint(s) in the Civil Service club, surrounded by friends who I see at every home game. One of them was John, normally there with his son Paul, both good friends of mine through AEK Boco & Rovers. He explained that Paul was on a charity bike ride, and would be joining us later.

Sadly, tragically, Paul collapsed and died on the ride, he was just 42 years old. John is broken hearted, as are the mother, brothers and children he left behind.

Paul was one of the good guys, upbeat, always positive and Rovers through & through. Pre match pints at Rovers, and watching kids matches at Boco will never be quite the same again, but I suppose the  best we can ever hope for, is that we make a positive contribution during our short time on earth, and Paul certainly did that.

Sorry to hear about this Miah.

RIP Paul and thoughts with his family.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Typical drivel from the "super fans"

Which sets of fans would that be then? Recently we've had Bolton, Ipswich, Cardiff, Brighton & Middlesbrough come to Ashton Gate. When did they last visit your dump? And likewise, I can't remember Accrington, Morecambe, Cambridge or York coming to Ashton Gate in the last couple of decades either.

Either provide proof of your ridiculous claim or kindly fudge off! Pathological liar....:)

Talk to anyone who goes to both grounds.   Actually its an interesting thing, and I think has it had something to the ground design.   I recall going to the old open away end at the gate and you can here virtually nothing from your fans. A few weeks later we had you again, I couldn't get a ticket and went in the city end (East stand) I think. It was loud. I looked up at the stand roof and there was a metal drop down which would have stopped the sound escaping from the stand.  A few years back when we were in the new away end, the one still used unless changed recently, we were losing and I wanted to be swallowed whole!! The only good thing is we couldnt here anything from the city fans and it made me feel much better.  So, I reckon the gate as I knew it had poor acoustics, which maybe has now been rectified.  There r other obvious things, all seater grounds r crap compared to terraces, maybe u don't get that at all anymore in the championship, or can't remember.  The mem is small, tight, mostly terraced, it has a great atmosphere. Although no doubt to be largely lost if we end up in a sterile, mass produced, all seater, looks like everywhere else stadium.

3 minutes ago, S_Y_G said:

Talk to anyone who goes to both grounds.   Actually its an interesting thing, and I think has it had something to the ground design.   I recall going to the old open away end at the gate and you can here virtually nothing from your fans. A few weeks later we had you again, I couldn't get a ticket and went in the city end (East stand) I think. It was loud. I looked up at the stand roof and there was a metal drop down which would have stopped the sound escaping from the stand.  A few years back when we were in the new away end, the one still used unless changed recently, we were losing and I wanted to be swallowed whole!! The only good thing is we couldnt here anything from the city fans and it made me feel much better.  So, I reckon the gate as I knew it had poor acoustics, which maybe has now been rectified.  There r other obvious things, all seater grounds r crap compared to terraces, maybe u don't get that at all anymore in the championship, or can't remember.  The mem is small, tight, mostly terraced, it has a great atmosphere. Although no doubt to be largely lost if we end up in a sterile, mass produced, all seater, looks like everywhere else stadium.

Couldn't agree more. With all the away games I have been to especially this year, I have been suprised with lack of atmosphere produced from home fans.

Birmingham, wolves and reading were silent and in certain games this year at home we have been as well possibly due to our league position.

To answer the post that implies other fans have said that the mem has a better atmosphere is a ridiculous statement to make couldn't agree more with Kim Il sung.

Apparently, the new stadium they want will be built free of charge.

All Wally has to do is to leave 5 million on deposit and use the 10% Return to generate half a million a year in interest to pay for it. Which is why they want investors, to pay the up front costs.

Because clearly, if Wally can get 10% on his savings, investors will be looking for a much lower return on a higher risk strategy.

Gas Logic.  I fully expect one of them to be the next Icelandic PM.

18 hours ago, phantom said:

RIP PAUL

Photo of Paul Withey with his two children Luke and Mollie

It didn't connect until I saw the picture, but I worked with Paul about twenty years ago at BAe at Filton.

he was indeed a lovely bloke and huge Gashead. It was just unfortunate for me that I worked with him during a period that the gas were slightly better than us, meaning I had to endure hours of pisstaking as the only City fan in our particular section!

RIP Paul.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Well, I remember it well. The cardiff fans were trying to bite through the two separating nets when it was sung.

Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree, I went to Ninian Park five times in the good old days and only heard it sung about twice...certainly not at the 'Scotty scores two' game...and on one occasion (another game) our fans voiced their disgust at the song and drowned it out...

Fresh back from the capital after yet another unsuccessful mission to secure finance for the UWE stadium the Rovers Chairman Taffy Hamer is beginning to lose heart. 

Late last night  he was heard leaving the Civil Service Club on Filton Avenue giving a wonderful rendition of Hen Wlad Fy biNhadau ... 

Wael, Wael, oh why did you purchase that pile ?

Wherever I roam

I can't fund a new home

And Higgsy is all full of smiles

• Like 7

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/6634/early-days

More comedic content, lifted from ass-shat ! It would appear that a few plates of chips got pissed on Tuesday evening :rofl2br:

According to "Mario Balotelli" (very apt ! :facepalm:), the only reason we are not bottom of the Championship is because Bolton, Charlton and M.K. are complete w**k !

Some more sensible assheads, guys including Weeezord have called the thread an embarrassment.

Clearly; he has forgotten that we play in the most competitive league in Europe, as opposed to their basement league, where most if not all teams, are complete w**k ! :laughcont:

In all likelihood, Bolton, Charlton and M.K. would all dish out a beating to the 15ers, were they to play them now.

I really hope the 15 get Pompey in the play offs. They are all fearful of a two legged semi final against them, and Pompey have done them twice already.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

More comedic content, lifted from ass-shat ! It would appear that a few plates of chips got pissed on Tuesday evening :rofl2br:

According to "Mario Balotelli" (very apt ! :facepalm:), the only reason we are not bottom of the Championship is because Bolton, Charlton and M.K. are complete w**k !

Some more sensible assheads, guys including Weeezord have called the thread an embarrassment.

Clearly; he has forgotten that we play in the most competitive league in Europe, as opposed to their basement league, where most if not all teams, are complete w**k ! :laughcont:

In all likelihood, Bolton, Charlton and M.K. would all dish out a beating to the 15ers, were they to play them now.

I really hope the 15 get Pompey in the play offs. They are all fearful of a two legged semi final against them, and Pompey have done them twice already.

If a thread every sums up a majority of a fan base it's this one. I see the moron who was too embarrassed to admit he supports 2015 LTD started the thread is well. Oh the gift!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Take another look mate, it was our very own pet Pompey supporting embarrassed  Saghead 'Weezord' who started the thread in the first place. 

Looks like they tried to turn it into a general Tuesday night football thread after they realised they'd gone off in their pants a bit too early.

One of them would "cry with joy" if they ended up in the same division as us.....how sweet, shows the difference in our ambitions compared to theirs.

You just know that our draw and MKs defeat really ruined their night. I'm sure if the gap is back down to 4 points on Saturday night they'll start celebrating again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

I have this fear they will lose in the playoffs to Accrington Stanley and I'll have painful sides all summer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iron Man said:

If a thread every sums up a majority of a fan base it's this one. I see the moron who was too embarrassed to admit he supports 2015 LTD started the thread is well. Oh the gift!

I thought some of our fans went too early at halftime in the Match Day Thread, but this lot take the biscuit. I think every single post was proved wrong in some way, they even criticised Grimsby for being "bottlers" before they came back to win 3-4. No wonder one of them was asking for it to be deleted. :)

4 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Personally, I think we'll find out next season - and the gAssholes won't need the Playoffs either. Just my gut feeling.

What is certain, if they are promoted, is that they'll be giving it the big one all summer - oblivious to the idea that their achievements and ours since we were last in the same division (or indeed since time immemorial) are somehow comparable is so wie of the mark as to be laughable, pitiful, deluded and factually incorrect. But that describes gAssholes very well, doesn't it - laughable, pitiful, deluded. And that's just for starters.  

I think the 15ers will go up automatically and they can be well and truly "prowed" of earning the right to play the might of the likes of Rochdale, Bury and Fleetwood (assuming they stay up).  

Now that's a reward for success, unlike us to will have to make do with trips to the likes of Aston Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland (assuming they go down).

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Take another look mate, it was our very own pet Pompey supporting embarrassed  Saghead 'Weezord' who started the thread in the first place. 

Looks like they tried to turn it into a general Tuesday night football thread after they realised they'd gone off in their pants a bit too early.

One of them would "cry with joy" if they ended up in the same division as us.....how sweet, shows the difference in our ambitions compared to theirs.

You just know that our draw and MKs defeat really ruined their night. I'm sure if the gap is back down to 4 points on Saturday night they'll start celebrating again.

1) Doh ! silly me :facepalm:

2) Brilliant ! :rofl2br:

21 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Personally, I think we'll find out next season - and the gAssholes won't need the Playoffs either. Just my gut feeling.

What is certain, if they are promoted, is that they'll be giving it the big one all summer

If we get promoted I'll be permanently drunk all summer! :fear: