Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

RedRobin96

Chris Hughton - Sacked (BBC)

4 minutes ago, Red7 said:

Could he have got better strikers than that with the money made available to him? Hardly entirely his fault.

75% to 25% is still a split...of 75% to 25%.   

Jahanbakhsh was a club record fee rumoured to be £17m, Locadia was £10m upfront with potential £5m add on and Andone 6m euros. That's a fair chunk to have brought in a good striker.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Managers get sacked usually through poor results, as was the case with Houghton. It’s got bugger all to do with the colour of your skin but Barnes/Campbell always play the race card.

I sometimes feel sorry for you with all the abuse you get on here. However now I understand it completely. You can’t even get his name right and your comments absolutely smack of latent racism. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

Jahanbakhsh was a club record fee rumoured to be £17m, Locadia was £10m upfront with potential £5m add on and Andone 6m euros. That's a fair chunk to have brought in a good striker.

Think a different manager could maybe get different out of them- Hughton for all his positive qualities, has seemed pretty risk averse since Christmas.

Pascal Gross- as pointed out by Kieran Maguire on Twitter, not only a Football Finance Expert but also a Brighton fan- is a key part of the attacking/creative phase of their game. Has been in and out due to injury, not helped. I see decent technical ability in a reasonable number of their players. Montoya and Bernardo modernish full backs, Bissouma good things about him, Gross creative, March of course a good player, Knockaert defnitely- Murray given his age as no.1 striker doesn't seem so compatible with that to me.

I mean clearly they aren't a stellar squad, but stylistically since Christmas? Could do better IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

People saying he didn’t have money to spend are ignorant of the truth. 6th biggest net spend since summer 2016

• Like 1

I agree with robbored,what is it when a black manager gets the boot it turns into a racist drama,played crap football,created next to nothing in chances won 3 games since xmas spent money on rubbish players that's why he had the sack

• Like 5
  • Eggplant 1

6 hours ago, forestofdean said:

I agree with robbored,what is it when a black manager gets the boot it turns into a racist drama,played crap football,created next to nothing in chances won 3 games since xmas spent money on rubbish players that's why he had the sack

It's called discrimination according to some on here..... 

3 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

It's called discrimination according to some on here..... 

I call it the price of poor results...........

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Just when you had forgotten how cringeworthy it is to read anything vaguely equality related on Otib 😬

Why cringeworthy?  Explain.......

6th highest net spend since June 2016, that combined with the poor results is easily enough reason 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I call it the price of poor results...........

Well, for half a season- they were not too bad results and based on MOTD style wise until Christmas or so. Certainly nobody was clamouring for his sacking early, mid Jan.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 13/05/2019 at 09:49, Red7 said:

Disgusting decision, in my book, after what he's done for the club.

That was my initial reaction, although I suppose now they need to push on. It’s either stick or twist. 

Rightly or wrongly, I suppose you can’t blame them for trying to progress and they could have gone back down, with a stronger bottom 3 teams behind them. 

Harsh, I agree, but I guess that’s the reality of football.

Wherever Houghton goes, they will be getting a good manager.  

23 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Quite right to highlight this issue, the number of BAME players should equate to the same number of BAME managers, but it clearly doesn’t, something’s blocking their path to management

Are you equally concerned by the comparatively small percentage of white players in the game (versus population)? 

If percentages is all people look at then it's a 2 way street. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Eggplant 1

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

That was my initial reaction, although I suppose now they need to push on. It’s either stick or twist. 

Yes, I suppose that's fair enough. We'll know whether it was a good decision or not in a year's time. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hodge said:

That's a fair chunk to have brought in a good striker.

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware that Jahanbakhsh was 17 million. Personally, I'm still disgusted by the decision.    

23 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wilder and Lampard both linked with Brighton, as a Plan B if they can't get Potter.

Frank Lampard’s Brighton & Hove Albion...?! I doubt commentators are going to be keen on that appointment..! 

23 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wilder and Lampard both linked with Brighton, as a Plan B if they can't get Potter.

Can’t see either but particularly Wilder. Unless he had some massive fallout with the Blades board he won’t leave his beloved club. The man was forged with Sheffield steel. 

• Like 1

From the BBC website.

Kick It Out have "unreservedly apologised" to Brighton following comments made by its Head of Development Troy Townsend over the dismissal of Chris Hughton. 

Hughton was sacked by Brighton on Monday after securing them a 17th-placed finish in the Premier League.

Townsend then criticised the decision in a Daily Telegraph interview.

Kick It Out said it apologised "for the impact the comments have had on the club's reputation".

The anti-racism body added in a statement it was also sorry for any inference from Townsend's comments that Hughton's sacking was "linked in any way to his ethnicity".

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 20:38, 29AR said:

Remember Sol would have been an England Captain for 10 years; over the likes of Shearer... and amazingly; Ince, if he was white. Despite being noted as one of the quietest in the dressing room. 

It is these outlandish claims which do the cause such harm. It frankly would take a brave chairman to appoint Campbell knowing if you sacked him without giving more chances than LJ he’s possibly going to slander you. 

Contrast that with Raheem Sterling, who’s remarkable season on the pitch is only bettered off where he has been an absolute ambassador and truly impactful. I’ve had little time for Sterling previously and admittedly I initially didn’t buy his claims - and then he presented how he was represented time and time and time again. He made founded claims; some, like Campbell, like Ince, make soundbites and do more harm. 

Interesting you had little time for Sterling. On what grounds?

this is an excellent listen on the man and racism

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0004yw8

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

For the people that claim the media don't have an agenda against him..

• Thanks 7

As many of you are aware I am in exile in France and on my returns to the UK I am quite frankly appalled as to what passes for journalism .

There is so much dumbing down it is terrifying. 

No wonder Zombie films are so popular. We need to wake up and demand real news . Don’t buy the comics that pass for newspapers.

The people who hold most of the wealth in this world are laughing at us . Whilst we lap up pictures of the Kardashian’s, the Royal family and nobodies from reality tv shows, they are quietly shafting the planet and ninety five per cent of the human race for their own means.

Wake the **** up or sleepwalk into oblivion.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

I didn’t like the way he acted or carried himself, but being brutally honest regarding myself; I think I was blind to the media campaign against him and let that lead me to form an incorrect opinion. A lesson for me to learn and as @Major Isewater says, I needed waking up.  It’s quite embarrassing on reflection that I didn’t see it. 

I have a vastly different opinion on him now. 

Edited by 29AR
  • Like 5

Is there a particular reason why the press have it in for him? Did he park in the editor’s space in the car park or something?

7 hours ago, forestofdean said:

for £200k a week the media can put me on the front page everyday naked

Are you saying he should put up with it as he is paid well? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RedDave said:

Are you saying he should put up with it as he is paid well? 

no,but it would not bother me as a person(sticks and stones}.also there is so many white people who have been in the same situation with the newspapers but I have never seen a big drama made of it

10 minutes ago, forestofdean said:

no,but it would not bother me as a person(sticks and stones}.also there is so many white people who have been in the same situation with the newspapers but I have never seen a big drama made of it

You aren’t black so don’t know if it would bother you or not 

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You aren’t black so don’t know if it would bother you or not 

well I lived in a caravan for 14 years and had all the classics directed me pikey,gyspey traveller{water off a ducks back} be proud of who you are no matter what.

I haven't read a newspaper for years, I just think the press are disgusting. But I do wonder would this ever have happened had he not left the media darlings that are Liverpool.

Some of those headlines are okay I reckon as the odd individual story, though hardly interesting news where he shops or eats out. But it stops being okay when you see how relentless they have been on Raheem.

• Like 1

Looks like Potter to be new Brighton boss as he's asked to leave Swansea.

• Like 1