Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/exclusive-premier-league-clubs-eyeing-3206551

Personally feel it would be a massive mistake to let him go . Has done a fantastic job with the younger players over the last several years. Legend 

Probably won’t be a case of ‘letting him go’. If we keep blocking the pathway then he may well choose to go and there isn’t anything we can do about it...apart from not blocking the pathway.

One could argue that Vyner, Morrell, Walsh, Semenyo and even Pring will get less game time this season than they should. 

I completely understand LJ buying players and not trusting the youth but there are consequences to all decisions 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If he goes, he goes.

It is a shame but we as fans crave top 6 and so does the board, first team management etc.

If Tins doesn’t like it then he takes his choice but we are where we are  and we need to keep progressing.

Semenyo and Moore will get their chance this year as Bobby, Joey, Lloyd etc did previously and I’m sure if Morrell etc smash it on loan this year then they will be around the first team next year.

Is It pathway blocked or they simply are not at a level to take us forward?

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a tough one.

If we go back a season or two and take centre midfield....we started with Smith, Brownhill and Pack, with the likes of Morrell coming through.  We then add Walsh for a fee.  Smith gets injured last season but LJ never really entrusts Walsh or Morrell to take minutes to rest Pack and Brownhill.  Now brings in Rowe, early in the window and Nagy and Massengo but Pack leaves, whilst Morrell is out on loan....Walsh no further forward.

Thats the simplistic view, but you need to add the fact that City have improved over that time, so someone like Walsh is in no-man’s land, because we don’t really know if he’s good enough.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a tough one.

If we go back a season or two and take centre midfield....we started with Smith, Brownhill and Pack, with the likes of Morrell coming through.  We then add Walsh for a fee.  Smith gets injured last season but LJ never really entrusts Walsh or Morrell to take minutes to rest Pack and Brownhill.  Now brings in Rowe, early in the window and Nagy and Massengo but Pack leaves, whilst Morrell is out on loan....Walsh no further forward.

Thats the simplistic view, but you need to add the fact that City have improved over that time, so someone like Walsh is in no-man’s land, because we don’t really know if he’s good enough.

We don’t, but only one persons opinion counts, and it’s his head on the block.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hes got a point , look how well o'leary done last season he deserved his shot this season, instead two new keepers in and hes out on loan , vyners played several championship level games last season bombed out in favour of a loanee of similar age from portugal, if tinnion goes hes absolutely spot on with his reasoning.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

If he's contracted for any considerable time and there's nothing in it about only giving a weeks notice then we will need to come to an agreement with the new club. Won't be much though. He can't be on more than 30k seeing as they were advertising the under 23 manager job at 35k

Can’t believe Tinman or Luke Williams are on anything as low as £35k pa, but happy to be corrected.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Meh said:

If he goes, he goes.

It is a shame but we as fans crave top 6 and so does the board, first team management etc.

If Tins doesn’t like it then he takes his choice but we are where we are  and we need to keep progressing.

Semenyo and Moore will get their chance this year as Bobby, Joey, Lloyd etc did previously and I’m sure if Morrell etc smash it on loan this year then they will be around the first team next year.

Is It pathway blocked or they simply are not at a level to take us forward?

I think you have it right. Personally I would have been perfectly happy to have 4 or more Academy graduates playing regularly and us finishing mid table but I suspect I am in a pretty small minority.

I understand Tinnion's frustration but he hasn't got the responsibility and pressure LJ has.

As a matter of interest, how many Academy graduates are playing regularly for Southampton?

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t believe Tinman or Luke Williams are on anything as low as £35k pa, but happy to be corrected.

That's what they offered on the careers page when we were on the look out for u23 manager. I was shocked myself. That doesn't mean to say Williams didn't come in on his own terms mind after negotiating a wage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

That's what they offered on the careers page when we were on the look out for u23 manager. I was shocked myself. That doesn't mean to say Williams didn't come in on his own terms mind after negotiating a wage. 

Exactly, highly regarded, experience of the hot-seat at Swindon....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a tough one cause the youngsters need to be regularly playing to improve, but a lot wouldn’t get into our starting line up. 

OLeary playing a full season will be so much more benefitial than on the bench for us, same as Pring. They need to earn their stripes and then will be worthy of coming into the team. 

I suppose there is the question of if Max does well, then he should be number one. But we have just signed Bentley so that blocks him. 

Now there is also Massengo, Nagy etc to challenge Morrell/Walsh/Bakinson so is there a path for them? 

Ill be honest it’s not clear what the path is for young players, when we have a young capable team currently, and seem to be upgrading them with new players when they do go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no extended quotes in this story. I'm kinda not sure I believe this at face value.

The BP read the Pathway thread and made up a story.

If you listen to his interview with Shtanley he clearly sets out the Pathway for young players at this club. Go prove you're good enough to play for Bristol City somewhere else and you'll get your chance here. And then it's up to you to take it. And that is exactly what is happening. So he is either lying there, or he's had a radical change of philosophy after 1 transfer window. Or the third possibility is if he genuinely thinks Vyner, Semenyo, Pring and Morrell are top half championship level players at this moment and should be in the team, I disagree strongly with his talent evaluation if that's the case. He literally tells us the best thing for players is to go play regular football. He tells us the most important thing is what is right for Bristol City. I find it genuinely bizarre if he's changed his mind so drastically.

From a career perspective, sure, go to a more successful academy in Southampton, get more money for yourself, it's your finances, no problem. We've signed players because the current crop of young talent isn't fully ready. Part of Tinnions job is to get them the loans to make them ready.

"Indeed, we understand several leading figures within the academy are unhappy at seeing the pathway "

There aren't that many leading figures. So, that would basically mean most to all of them. So expect them all to resign? We'll see. The reasons above are why I don't believe the article as it's written. Sure he could definitely go to Southampton, but the reason won't be the stated one IMO, based of what Tinnion himself has said.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I think you have it right. Personally I would have been perfectly happy to have 4 or more Academy graduates playing regularly and us finishing mid table but I suspect I am in a pretty small minority.

I understand Tinnion's frustration but he hasn't got the responsibility and pressure LJ has.

As a matter of interest, how many Academy graduates are playing regularly for Southampton?

They had one fully homegrown players in their first match day squad on opening weekend. (The other players who I think count as homegrown were taken from other academies at some stage.) James Ward Prowse is the only player to start his development at Southampton who was in that squad. Stephens was taken from Plymouth pretty early on in his career aged  17 ish, same for Valery from Rennes.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Probably won’t be a case of ‘letting him go’. If we keep blocking the pathway then he may well choose to go and there isn’t anything we can do about it...apart from not blocking the pathway.

One could argue that Vyner, Morrell, Walsh, Semenyo and even Pring will get less game time this season than they should. 

I completely understand LJ buying players and not trusting the youth but there are consequences to all decisions 

We're not blocking the pathway, loads of our players are playing league football. The pathway is not necessarily to the Bristol City first team, its to professional football. In that respect, we're doing a good job

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

We're not blocking the pathway, loads of our players are playing league football. The pathway is not necessarily to the Bristol City first team, its to professional football. In that respect, we're doing a good job

Tell that to Tinnion if the story of him being annoyed is true 

Edited by RedDave
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

We're not blocking the pathway, loads of our players are playing league football. The pathway is not necessarily to the Bristol City first team, its to professional football. In that respect, we're doing a good job

Exactly...pathway to the first team doesn't mean from U23s to first team.

Most need loans to other teams in the football league to get up to speed with Men's football.

Look at Reid... Plymouth then before you know it...etc.

The higher up the Championship you get the harder it is for a youngster to become a promotion quality player.

It's ok to blood them...but if they make mistakes that lead to defeats, what do you do? 

It's a catch 22.

Put yourself in Tinman's shoes...you see the talent you have loaned out, but because they are your 'baby's ' do you start seeing things through blinkered eyes?

I'm guessing Vyner being loaned to Aberdeen may have caused a feeling of unease.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Probably won’t be a case of ‘letting him go’. If we keep blocking the pathway then he may well choose to go and there isn’t anything we can do about it...apart from not blocking the pathway.

One could argue that Vyner, Morrell, Walsh, Semenyo and even Pring will get less game time this season than they should. 

I completely understand LJ buying players and not trusting the youth but there are consequences to all decisions 

He dont like playing kids

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prinny said:

There's no extended quotes in this story. I'm kinda not sure I believe this at face value.

The BP read the Pathway thread and made up a story.

If you listen to his interview with Shtanley he clearly sets out the Pathway for young players at this club. Go prove you're good enough to play for Bristol City somewhere else and you'll get your chance here. And then it's up to you to take it. And that is exactly what is happening. So he is either lying there, or he's had a radical change of philosophy after 1 transfer window. Or the third possibility is if he genuinely thinks Vyner, Semenyo, Pring and Morrell are top half championship level players at this moment and should be in the team, I disagree strongly with his talent evaluation if that's the case. He literally tells us the best thing for players is to go play regular football. He tells us the most important thing is what is right for Bristol City. I find it genuinely bizarre if he's changed his mind so drastically.

From a career perspective, sure, go to a more successful academy in Southampton, get more money for yourself, it's your finances, no problem. We've signed players because the current crop of young talent isn't fully ready. Part of Tinnions job is to get them the loans to make them ready.

"Indeed, we understand several leading figures within the academy are unhappy at seeing the pathway "

There aren't that many leading figures. So, that would basically mean most to all of them. So expect them all to resign? We'll see. The reasons above are why I don't believe the article as it's written. Sure he could definitely go to Southampton, but the reason won't be the stated one IMO, based of what Tinnion himself has said.

They had one fully homegrown players in their first match day squad on opening weekend. (The other players who I think count as homegrown were taken from other academies at some stage.) James Ward Prowse is the only player to start his development at Southampton who was in that squad. Stephens was taken from Plymouth pretty early on in his career aged  17 ish, same for Valery from Rennes.

Exactly what I thought. It doesn't match up and I wouldn't take what the EP is saying as gospel. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Hes got a point , look how well o'leary done last season he deserved his shot this season, instead two new keepers in and hes out on loan , vyners played several championship level games last season bombed out in favour of a loanee of similar age from portugal, if tinnion goes hes absolutely spot on with his reasoning.

Vyner should of been given a chance after Plymouth loan hes good enough and ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...