Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

AppyDAZE

We've had everyone else...

To think that some people previously doubted LJ's abil.....Joking!!

Been fantastic so far. Reassuring to see that regardless of players leaving for high profit we can still keep bringing in decent players and playing well!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Streaky Lee... on one of his bloody winning runs again..!

it was that 1 game losing run at the start that boiled my piss

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Robin 2

14 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

To think that some people previously doubted LJ's abil.....Joking!!

It wasn’t a joke at the time with various posters threatening to boycott matches if SL failed to sack LJ -  predictable empty threats as it turns out.

I remember saying exactly  that at the time  and got slagged off for it................:dunno:

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Streaky Lee... on one of his bloody winning runs again..!

Absolutely.

We can’t fall away after Christmas every year, here’s hoping this is the season that he can finally see us home.

Edited by 054123

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It wasn’t a joke at the time with various posters threatening to boycott matches if SL failed to sack LJ -  predictable empty threats as it turns out.

I remember saying exactly  that at the time  and got slagged off for it................:dunno:

I refer back to line 3 in my OP

This is an argument free zone, Robbo. NO arguing, only praise for LJ here please.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

More or less empty than Gary Johnson being a conference manager, Mr Sage?

Edited by Robin1988
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It wasn’t a joke at the time threatening to boycott matches if SL failed to sack LJ -  I remember saying exactly that and got slagged off for it................:dunno:

🤣😜😂😉

17 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I refer back to line 3 in my OP

This is an argument free zone, Robbo. NO arguing, only praise for LJ here please.

I’ve had a problem with LJ only once when I got frustrated when City were losing 0-2 against Fulham and were so dreadful  I actually felt angry and had been over the dugout side  he’d have got both barrels of verbals.......

That said I could see what he was trying to do all along and now we’re seeing the benefit of SL not sacking him back then.

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

6 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

More or less empty than Gary Johnson being a conference manager, Mr Sage?

Remind me - where is GJ managing these days?                 :dunno:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

He is managing Torquay.

I'm surprised you didn't know that.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve had a problem with LJ only once when I got frustrated when City were losing 0-2 against Fulham and were so dreadful  I actually felt angry and had been over the dugout side  he’d have got both barrels of verbals.......

That said I could see what he was trying to do all along and now we’re seeing the benefit of SL not sacking him back then.

For me it was the 5-0 at PNE and around that period. Overall, it has proven to be right to stick with him.. we are clearly going forward bit by bit and LJ, knowing the club as he does, is the right man for the job .... but this is football who knows what's up ahead in this crazy game?

For now, I have a huge amount of time for the guy and what he is doing here. I totally applaud LJ's efforts so far

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

He is managing Torquay.

I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Remind me what league Torquay are in?        :dunno:

Last I heard they’d be relegated out of the football league.

Edited by Robbored

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Last I heard they’d be relegated into the conference. 

Conference?

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Last I heard they’d be relegated into the conference. 

Your a bit out of date, they have just been ‘promoted’ to the Conference. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

For me it was the 5-0 at PNE and around that period. Overall, it has proven to be right to stick with him.. we are clearly going forward bit by bit and LJ, knowing the club as he does, is the right man for the job .... but this is football who knows what's up ahead in this crazy game?

For now, I have a huge amount of time for the guy and what he is doing here. I totally applaud LJ's efforts so far

I think it was after that result there was a poll on here with hundreds of votes that had something like 95% saying time for him to go. I was one of them, although was just about backing him until that point but just could not see it working out.

I wonder how close SL got? I can remember when we stopped that run of defeats (2-2 v Sheff Wed?) thinking, what we didn’t lose? What just about saved him I think is we had picked up a fair few points before that run, so although we got very close to the bottom three, or maybe just slipped in it, we still had time to turn it around. Thankfully he did,

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Your a bit out of date, they have just been ‘promoted’ to the Conference. 

Oh...........:dunno:

• Aubergine 1

31 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Preston was the only time I've wobbled about LJ too

He's passionate about City, that much is plain to see. I want him to succeed here so badly, because at some point this bloke is hiring the jackpot. May as well be with us, at 'his' club, my club and your club

The man is a winner

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you ever need a week off from the forum @Robbored I could’ve predicted your reply word for word there.

Fair play a conference manager getting within a game of the Premier League. Talk about a lucky break.

Edited by Robin1988
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Last I heard they’d be relegated out of the football league.

One of them Jules Verne leagues. Forty thousand leagues under the sea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

One of them Jules Verne leagues. Forty thousand leagues under the sea.

Or Neil Warnock's famous book "around the league with 80 clubs"

Edited by AppyDAZE

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Remember the white sheet banner hung up near the Gate? I wonder if the artists of that are enjoying the season so far?

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Absolutely.

We can’t fall away after Christmas every year, here’s hoping this is the season that he can finally see us home.

In fairness, we were 13th last Christmas and went on to finish eighth.

• Haha 1

You've only got to listen to every interview by a player who joins, to realise how good a man manager and Coach LJ is.

This Club has never been so strong throughout.

How many times do you hear how eloquent a player is when interviewed?

That's not by chance.

This Club wants intelligent footballers, that understand modern coaching and have family values.

It has SL's stamp all over it.

Driven, hard working professionals, humble...and with values.

DNA is massive at this Club now...look around and you'll see and hear it.

LJ was chosen to dictate these values... it's unusual in many respects, but being admired more every season.

Edited by spudski
  • Like 5

I have got to salute Taylor Moore as he has worked his ass off away from the club to get better. 

At the time it was a big fee for an England U19 Captain! He work rate away from the club as got him to where he is today. He could have sat on the bench at the club but instead wanted to go out on load to improve himself. Through his his hard work the club will get his money back and if he continues make a large profit 

Well done!!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I think it was after that result there was a poll on here with hundreds of votes that had something like 95% saying time for him to go. I was one of them, although was just about backing him until that point but just could not see it working out.

I wonder how close SL got? I can remember when we stopped that run of defeats (2-2 v Sheff Wed?) thinking, what we didn’t lose? What just about saved him I think is we had picked up a fair few points before that run, so although we got very close to the bottom three, or maybe just slipped in it, we still had time to turn it around. Thankfully he did,

There was an interview with SL at the end of that season where he admitted that they did seriously consider it at one point, and had told LJ so at the time. I think it came after the draw with Burton (with Tomlin's penalty), which was followed by Pemberton leaving a few days later. We then nicked a late winner at Wigan who were also struggling and ended up going down themselves. Had we lost the Wigan game, then I think that would have been the end.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

In fairness, we were 13th last Christmas and went on to finish eighth.

Quite, let’s hope no poor runs of form cost us a play off place.

Find it hard to fault LJ at the moment, lots of new faces and a mounting injury list and 3 in a row.

Backroom needs to have some cages rattled, fitness and strength not quite adding up, sport science is missing something!

Exciting times, Leeds debacle will fade, but that one was on LJ’s head! Never been a fan but things are looking good, teams will fear us if we can keep it up!  This could be our year!

COYR

He’s done really well considering injuries. Impressed he’s had the balls to throw Massengo straight in - don’t think he’d have done that when he first joined. Johnson is improving all the time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well done. 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it was @Thatch35‘s booing that has galvanised him into making greater efforts to be successful. Although of course his boos we’re aimed at SL and the board for appointing him. 

I would also be interested in Barnsley Tyke’s (or whatever he’s called) assessment of him now, especially the fact he has been here for so long and not jumped ship, as he was adamant he would do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Tragic.

• Hedgehog 1

58 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think it was @Thatch35‘s booing that has galvanised him into making greater efforts to be successful. Although of course his boos we’re aimed at SL and the board for appointing him. 

I would also be interested in Barnsley Tyke’s (or whatever he’s called) assessment of him now, especially the fact he has been here for so long and not jumped ship, as he was adamant he would do.

:rofl2br:

I was on holiday last week and was talking to a Leicester fan and an Ipswich fan. Both said they would have gladly taken Lee as their manager when they were looking for new ones last season and both praised the way we play the game. The respect is there outside of the club and it will be interesting to see what Lee's ambitions are when bigger, underachieving clubs start showing an interest in him 

5 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I was on holiday last week and was talking to a Leicester fan and an Ipswich fan. Both said they would have gladly taken Lee as their manager when they were looking for new ones last season and both praised the way we play the game. The respect is there outside of the club and it will be interesting to see what Lee's ambitions are when bigger, underachieving clubs start showing an interest in him 

MA said when LJ was appointed that he was ‘an up and coming young coach, well respected within the game’.

At the time I and I guess others thought MA was just spouting PR bollocks but it seems he was spot on.

Fact is LJ has progressed season on season despite having to sell his best players every season. That said SLs ‘sustainability’ cloud has proved to have a silver lining because it’s allowed LJ to generate income which, after three seasons he’s been able to reinvest and this summers window has proved very successful and consequently we have a new squad of players who are an upgrade on the previous squads.

Three back to back wins, two away from home highlight just what a decent LJ is doing.

11 hours ago, redsapper said:

I have got to salute Taylor Moore as he has worked his ass off away from the club to get better. 

At the time it was a big fee for an England U19 Captain! He work rate away from the club as got him to where he is today. He could have sat on the bench at the club but instead wanted to go out on load to improve himself. Through his his hard work the club will get his money back and if he continues make a large profit 

Well done!!

Didn’t he also have a word with Dasilva and Palmer about how good the club was ? 

Oh and he may have turned water into wine ...

14 hours ago, 054123 said:

Absolutely.

Should be strong this year as we will have all our returning injured players back to full fitness!