Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You may be right ADN, but there remains a question why he’s not been allowed to play in that role again, as the main striker.  He isn’t that position / role in any way when Fam plays, irrespective of what a Sky Sports team graphic shows.  He is made to play second fiddle to Fam.

In the 3 games when Fam suspended, got two goals, alongside Rodri once, Watkins twice, playing a role less second fiddle.

Another 2 in 3 in Autumn (Preston, Brentford, Swansea) when Fam was on bench, partnered by Semenyo twice, Szmodics in the 0-0.

A goal and an assist with Afobe (plus another assist when he played behind Fam and Afobe).

Thats quite interesting isn’t it.

Interesting indeed.

I would hazard a guess it’s because apart from a few games here and there (as above, maybe these games are the anomaly) he simply doesn’t cut the mustard. And maybe he has a great attitude and is integral to the dressing room and team spirit and is a model pro but just doesn’t show enough in training to warrant that spot leading the line.

For all Fam has been criticised by LJ in press conferences etc he doesn’t seem inclined to drop him and go with Weimann. There has to be a reason for that. People on here very quick to say I know nothing about football (just because they disagree) but maybe we could ask LJ why he also doesn’t see Weimann as his star striker?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of our squad so the available players to be picked weimann should be one of the first names on the team sheet and yes i believe workrate and hunger is enough , when it creates space for others and makes others raise their standards , ho does also chip in with goals also, is he good enough for the prem ? Well yes hes played their previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bengalcub said:

is he good enough for the prem ? Well yes hes played their previously.

So why has nobody deemed him good enough to play there again?

We’ve all seen how strikers tend to need just one or two good seasons at Championship level to earn a move to at least a newly promoted Premier League team. Even if that just lasts for a season.

Why hasn’t that happened to Weimann? Could it be that he’s not good enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like a lot of our players he seems totally devoid of confidence and confused about his role

Somebody should sit him down in front of some game videos and show that whilst chasing 50 metres for a lost cause may look good it almost never ends up in winning the ball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Out of our squad so the available players to be picked weimann should be one of the first names on the team sheet and yes i believe workrate and hunger is enough , when it creates space for others and makes others raise their standards , ho does also chip in with goals also, is he good enough for the prem ? Well yes hes played their previously.

He’s our very own Dirk Kuyt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Like a lot of our players he seems totally devoid of confidence and confused about his role

Somebody should sit him down in front of some game videos and show that whilst chasing 50 metres for a lost cause may look good it almost never ends up in winning the ball.

 

Chasing down a keeper almost always ends up with him putting it out of touch though .

I think the key is timing .

I heard an ex-pro commenting on Andi , cannot remember who it was , but they said he should be more intelligent with his running. The implication being that he wastes a heck of a lot of his energy which effects him when he needs it most , ie in the penalty box . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Somebody should sit him down in front of some game videos and show that whilst chasing 50 metres for a lost cause may look good it almost never ends up in winning the ball.

 

Even if he did win the ball he has very little end product, particularly when playing out wide. You don’t see him get the ball and feel like we are a threat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Chasing down a keeper almost always ends up with him putting it out of touch though .

I think the key is timing .

I heard an ex-pro commenting on Andi , cannot remember who it was , but they said he should be more intelligent with his running. The implication being that he wastes a heck of a lot of his energy which effects him when he needs it most , ie in the penalty box . 

Most of the time he’s like a headless chicken Major. 

I genuinely believe a number of fans are blinded by the fact he has Premier League and International experience. If we’d signed him from League One or he came from our academy there would be calls to drop him and upgrade.
 

He gets an easy ride in my opinion.

  • Aubergine 1
  • Hedgehog 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldnt disagree more i believe the fans judge on what they see not his past glories , you dont rate him thats fine others watch his workrate and desire and really appreciate that level of commitment week in week out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Couldnt disagree more i believe the fans judge on what they see not his past glories , you dont rate him thats fine others watch his workrate and desire and really appreciate that level of commitment week in week out.

Would you rather we had somebody who had that commitment, work rate and desire but had more quality, cutting edge and end product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Agard Days Night said:

Even if he did win the ball he has very little end product, particularly when playing out wide. You don’t see him get the ball and feel like we are a threat. 

You are being too harsh on him. 9 goals and 3 assists this season does not suggest he has little end product. I would also point out he has not been played in a regular position. He is one of those players  that can play in multiple positions hence why LJ uses him so much. He can play as a striker, a winger or as part of a front 3. Even a number 10 and for some games this season as a wing back.

He always runs his socks off. Players like Palmer could well learn something from his work ethic 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You are being too harsh on him. 9 goals and 3 assists this season does not suggest he has little end product. I would also point out he has not been played in a regular position. He is one of those players  that can play in multiple positions hence why LJ uses him so much. He can play as a striker, a winger or as part of a front 3. Even a number 10 and for some games this season as a wing back.

He always runs his socks off. Players like Palmer could well learn something from his work ethic 

Not played in a regular position up top because he’s not good enough to hold that position as his own. Instead he’s shoehorned in out wide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I see we have moved on from Fammy, who was being slated pre Wells signing...now to Weimann. 🤦‍♂️

I have got no issues with Diedhiou at all and haven’t ever said anything that could be consider slating him. I feel if he was ineffective or out of form he would naturally be dropped. I also think he suits where he plays and does more than enough to hold down his place. Neither can be said for Weimann (in my opinion). 
 

If Diedhiou was being played on the wing I suspect we wouldn’t see the best of him. But would everybody be gushing about how much he runs around or would people be asking for a better player to fill that role?

Edited by Agard Days Night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

I see we have moved on from Fammy, who was being slated pre Wells signing...now to Weimann. 🤦‍♂️

Fam has been brilliant most games for a while now to be fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Chasing down a keeper almost always ends up with him putting it out of touch though .

I think the key is timing .

I heard an ex-pro commenting on Andi , cannot remember who it was , but they said he should be more intelligent with his running. The implication being that he wastes a heck of a lot of his energy which effects him when he needs it most , ie in the penalty box . 

I don’t agree with that opinion, Andi has rarely looked knackered.  He is incredibly fit.  But it is about opinions.  Who was it who said that?

4 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

I have got no issues with Diedhiou at all and haven’t ever said anything that could be consider slating him. I feel if he was ineffective or out of form he would naturally be dropped.

which was what happened when Afobe came in.

And again when we went with Semenyo and Szmodics alongside Weimann, and again with Watkins and Weimann.

I also think he suits where he plays and does more than enough to hold down his place. Neither can be said for Weimann (in my opinion). 
 

If Diedhiou was being played on the wing I suspect we wouldn’t see the best of him. But would everybody be gushing about how much he runs around or would people be asking for a better player to fill that role?

At the end of the day, we have two strikers / forwards (whichever side of the fence you sit on) that generally don’t work together, in the system devised by the coach.  Currently Fam is playing better than Andi, and deserves first dibs with Wells, just like Andi did with Afobe, as he was playing better than Fam at the time, or felt to be a better partner.

A few people have mentioned that Fam looks like he’s become a bit leaner.  Can’t say I’ve noticed....those bloody big shorts he wears are a bit of an illusion, he’s not dissimilar in build to Aaron Wilbraham.

What we need to hope is that Fam and Nahki hit it off.  Early signs encouraging.  Up to Fam to keep working hard.  There’s definitely been more desire since that sub appearance v Charlton.  Pent up anger from being left out, then banned, he’s come back to prove a point.  Maybe he had a kick up the arse (like Pato)?

I can only imagine what Nahki and Benik might be like together.  Who knows we might see this happen at some point.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask LJ why he picked his team. No one here knows a thing about that. However Weimann gives us energy. Have you watched the last 2 3/4 games without him?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Any Weimann fans willing to shed any light on what he did to earn a recall and keep Wells out of the team today?

Nope, can’t fathom it out either....although I did think he was rather good when he came on as sub v West Brom.

There is no rhyme or reason for Lee’s selections....today proved that.

He did a couple of Ok things first half, as did Fam....after that they were both very disappointing.

But I don’t judge a player on one game, but of kate he generally hasn’t been playing well.

Is that a fair response?

 

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looks shot of confidence to me. There were a couple of opportunities today where he was 1 on 1 with the last defender but decided to hold the ball up rather than running at the man. He was poor today and I feel Wells would've relished in the first half. Even when Famara is not at his best, he still offers a bit of physicality and helps out a lot at the back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Coppello said:

He looks shot of confidence to me. There were a couple of opportunities today where he was 1 on 1 with the last defender but decided to hold the ball up rather than running at the man. He was poor today and I feel Wells would've relished in the first half. Even when Famara is not at his best, he still offers a bit of physicality and helps out a lot at the back. 

His game has never really been to take players on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Ask LJ why he picked his team. No one here knows a thing about that. However Weimann gives us energy. Have you watched the last 2 3/4 games without him?

 

Yes. We’ve been bad but would be no better with him. 

I don’t have a direct line to LJ to ask him but great suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Yes. We’ve been bad but would be no better with him. 

I don’t have a direct line to LJ to ask him but great suggestion.

Ask Taylor Moore to ask him 😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now see what people mean with him. A lot of people who were villa fans used to say he runs about but that's it. 

He probably should've been benched since the Birmingham game, he seems to have really dropped off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I now see what people mean with him. A lot of people who were villa fans used to say he runs about but that's it. 

He probably should've been benched since the Birmingham game, he seems to have really dropped off

But he’s Prem quality and we’re lucky to have him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/02/2020 at 18:21, Davefevs said:

I don’t agree with that opinion, Andi has rarely looked knackered.  He is incredibly fit.  But it is about opinions.  Who was it who said that?

 

I think I’m with @Major Isewater on this, because fitness isn’t all about aerobics. Andreas clearly has a fantastic engine, but how much does all the relentless running impact upon his thought process under pressure? His decision making around the box? His ability to execute a key pass when it opens up in front him?

It’s always seemed to me that many of his goals have been instinctive, from close range and often guided finishes. You don’t often see him take a touch, slow things down and hit the corner, do you?

And I’ve always had him down as a pretty technically sound player at this level, which means it has to come down to composure and clarity of thought. And the more tired you are, the worse decisions you make...

(That was probably an overly long winded explanation).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I think I’m with @Major Isewater on this, because fitness isn’t all about aerobics. Andreas clearly has a fantastic engine, but how much does all the relentless running impact upon his thought process under pressure? His decision making around the box? His ability to execute a key pass when it opens up in front him?

It’s always seemed to me that many of his goals have been instinctive, from close range and often guided finishes. You don’t often see him take a touch, slow things down and hit the corner, do you?

And I’ve always had him down as a pretty technically sound player at this level, which means it has to come down to composure and clarity of thought. And the more tired you are, the worse decisions you make...

(That was probably an overly long winded explanation).

 

Hey, no, good challenge.  He ain’t perfect by any stretch.  He can be rash undoubtedly.  I just think that it’s obvious that Fam and Andi just do not work together, and if I had to go with playing one of them, I’d go with Andi.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Hey, no, good challenge.  He ain’t perfect by any stretch.  He can be rash undoubtedly.  I just think that it’s obvious that Fam and Andi just do not work together, and if I had to go with playing one of them, I’d go with Andi.

And, of course, anything that comes down to running, positioning etc can be improved and altered by coaching...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to understand what has happened to Wiemann since about November. Was really good and scoring. Now looks like a headless chicken offering nothing but a bit of running which frankly anyone could do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Premier pointer and flapper.

Always telling others where to be and what to do whilst playing his own personal game of Piggy in the Middle (which he never wins.)

Gives the ball away cheaply.

Insufficient pace or touch to prove consistently effectively on the break.

Nice touch with his glancing headers in the box but they're as rare as rocking-horse and overall he costs us.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Hard to understand what has happened to Wiemann since about November. Was really good and scoring. Now looks like a headless chicken offering nothing but a bit of running which frankly anyone could do.

Diedhiou returned from suspension, having made sporadic starts in the early months of the season, as Weimann partnered Afobe, even Semenyo and even more Rodri.

7 goals in 11 starts this season where he didn’t start alongside Diedhiou.

Don't get me wrong, it’s not all Fam’s fault.  They have not formed a partnership in almost two seasons.  Fam has played decently since his return but it’s been at the expense of Andi’s form imho.

For info, Weimann scored 5 in 11 without Fam as his partner last season.

@TBW - is that a statistical correlation, or unrelated. 🧐

@Shtanley - part answering your question too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...