IGNORED

Are you renewing you SC?

Red Rag

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I check out the wether forecast beforehand. If sunny then I wear a cap to the game. If it’s cloudy I don’t bother but wear a woolly hat instead.

Works for me.

Me too Robbored, though I find the woolly one gets a lot more use than the cap.

I bought a seat in the Upper Lansdown just after it had been built and nearly froze to death up there and don't even mention the 100+ step climb to get to your seat.

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Me too Robbored, though I find the woolly one gets a lot more use than the cap.

I bought a seat in the Upper Lansdown just after it had been built and nearly froze to death up there and don't even mention the 100+ step climb to get to your seat.

I’ve only been in the upper Lansdown once but I certainly remember the stairs!

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

You’ll miss the sun, as it warms the Dolman to a surprising degree. You’ll get better legroom in the Lansdown but it’s permanently in the shade, hence much colder. A better alternative to moving would be to buy a baseball cap. Then you could have the luxury of a sun warmed seat in the Dolman without the sun in your eyes 

Yes, but it also gets too hot in August/Sept. I think it was QPR at home, everyone was sweltering .

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

90% of those ‘I’m not renewing because the football is crap’  will actually renew......:cool2:. Question is - why claim that you’re not renewing when you deep down they know that they will?    ...:dunno:

You may well turn out to be right, but a forum is for saying what you think at the time.

A couple of weeks ago I said i would definitely renew, last week said I wouldn't, but I reserve the right to change my mind again.

I won't bore everyone with further 'dramatics' on here if I do.

Watching City is a powerful drug, we all know that, and a hard addiction to kick even if we wanted to.

What else can it be when we are driven to keep watching this club decade after decade?

What exactly is it we are showing this almost absurd loyalty to? It goes without saying that since many of us first went down all the players who we originally idolised as youngsters, the manager, the chairman, every side of the ground, even the playing surface, has changed. Without doubt so has the game of football itself.

What is the continuous thread then that keeps us going? With everything else changed it has to just come down to the name, Bristol City Football Club, which rightly or wrongly we feel a part of, and being a City supporter has become ingrained in our very make up.

I'd love to see a psychoanalysis of the football fanatic ( that's truly what we are folks) and an exploration of the mindset that keeps us blindly turning up to support 'the club' even when we find that for long periods there is little or no enjoyment in doing so.

Are we fanatics in other areas of our lives - speaking for myself, not at all, it's just City.

It could sometimes almost be said to be bordering on masochistic - we turn up gluttons for punishment knowing full well we'll often leave the ground in a far worse mood than when we arrived - yet there's the inescapable feeling we would be inflicting on ourselves a situation even less tolerable if we stopped going.

So in many seasons we accept the football is too often 'crap', that we're mostly not enjoying it, and we vent on OTIB and elsewhere, and threaten - in all seriousness at the time - not to buy a ST.

But that in itself is a bleak prospect. We know all too well that when City are playing at AG we are going to want to be there if we possibly can, it would just feel very wrong not to be. 

That's the hold BCFC has on many of us, and it's a strong and strange one.

When it comes to baulking at renewing ST's we certainly shouldn't underestimate it.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You may well turn out to be right, but a forum is for saying what you think at the time.

A couple of weeks ago I said i would definitely renew, last week said I wouldn't, but I reserve the right to change my mind again.

Watching City is a powerful drug, we all know that, and a hard addiction to kick even if we wanted to.

What else can it be when we are driven to keep watching this club decade after decade?

What exactly is it we are showing this almost absurd loyalty to? It goes without saying that since many of us first went down all the players who we originally idolised as youngsters, the manager, the chairman, every side of the ground, even the playing surface, has changed. Without doubt so has the game of football itself.

What is the continuous thread then that keeps us going? With everything else changed it has to just come down to the name, Bristol City Football Club, which rightly or wrongly we feel a part of, and being a City supporter has become ingrained in our very make up.

I'd love to see a psychoanalysis of the football fanatic ( that's truly what we are folks) and an exploration of the mindset that keeps us blindly turning up to support 'the club' even when we find that for long periods there is little or no enjoyment in doing so.

Are we fanatics in other areas of our lives - speaking for myself, not at all, it's just City.

It could sometimes almost be said to be bordering on masochistic - we turn up gluttons for punishment knowing full well we'll often leave the ground in a far worse mood than when we arrived - yet there's the inescapable feeling we would be inflicting on ourselves a situation even less tolerable if we stopped going.

So in many seasons we accept the football is too often 'crap', that we're mostly not enjoying it, and we vent on OTIB and elsewhere, and threaten - in all seriousness at the time - not to buy a ST.

But that in itself is a bleak prospect. We know all too well that when City are playing at AG we are going to want to be there if we possibly can, it would just feel very wrong not to be. 

When it comes to baulking at renewing ST's we certainly shouldn't underestimate it.

Don’t get me started on psychoanalysis Nogbad!  Biggest con and waste of money in my opinion.

Anyway..........supporting City - or any football club is a fraternity. We all have at least one thing in common - our football club. We make bonds with other City fans, discuss everything about the club with them and even become good mates with some of them.

I wouldn’t be without it.

37 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

An excellent summary of what it is mate. We change virtually everything else in our lives - jobs, homes, cars, partners and many other things but your football team is constant and can NEVER be changed. The thought never crosses our minds and I doubt any of us could do it if our lives depended on it.

It reminds me in a way of 1982 when a question doing the rounds was `what will you do if City go bust?`. Personally that would have been it for me - I just couldn`t invest in Yeovil, Exeter or whoever, it just wouldn`t have been right.

God knows what it is - I support Somerset CC but if they lose I`m not devastated like I am when City do - so can anyone explain why we feel like this? I don`t think I`ve ever seen a serious study on the subject to be honest but one would be interesting.

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, but it also gets too hot in August/Sept. I think it was QPR at home, everyone was sweltering .

The Dolman has got to be the windiest stand in the ground, also the one you will most likely need 2 new knees if you're over 6'3"

Welcome to the Lansdown, I'd also say it's the stand you get the fewest annoying fans, the ones who shout the same inane, annoying things every week. Though it can be a tad quiet at times.

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

An excellent summary of what it is mate. We change virtually everything else in our lives - jobs, homes, cars, partners and many other things but your football team is constant and can NEVER be changed. The thought never crosses our minds and I doubt any of us could do it if our lives depended on it.

Certainly true in my case LR, everything else in life changes as time goes on but going to AG and supporting City must be the one constant that hasn't. :city:

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Don’t get me started on psychoanalysis Nogbad!  Biggest con and waste of money in my opinion.

Anyway..........supporting City - or any football club is a fraternity. We all have at least one thing in common - our football club. We make bonds with other City fans, discuss everything about the club with them and even become good mates with some of them.

I wouldn’t be without it.

Yep, a high percentage of my oldest friends are people I first met through supporting City over 40 years ago. Plus there are several people I bump into regularly locally and have a long chat about how City are getting on because we discovered long ago we're fellow fans.

Maybe got nothing else at all in common (see the politics sub forum, and then give a wide berth iiwy) but that's irrelevant because there's always more than enough to talk about with the latest goings on at AG.

I completely agree with you, it would be a huge miss and they'd all be shocked if I ever said I'd stopped going to AG.

Archived