Jump to content

Who is your favourite ever Bristol City player?


Recommended Posts

So, following on from @reddogkev’s thread from yesterday - Fammy or Ade, I just thought I’d ask who your favourite ever player is?

Akinbiyi is very close for me, but he’s just pipped to the post by Shaun Taylor. The bloke was nails and good for a goal or two. Of course there’s every chance I’m misremembering the Olden days with a little too much romanticism, but Shaun Taylor is my fave ever. 

Over to you. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FreshPrinceofBristol said:

Gregory Goodridge

I always remember being disappointed when he was on the bench. Do you get players that exciting any more? Eliasson is the nearest we’ve got, but he doesn’t get me out of my seat like GG did. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sir Gerry Gow without a doubt .

Honourable mentions for Norman Hunter , Terry Cooper , Bob Taylor , Biff Newman , Tom Ritchie , Alan Walsh and Scotty Murray.

Good list. Agree with Gerry Gow.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I always remember being disappointed when he was on the bench. Do you get players that exciting any more? Eliasson is the nearest we’ve got, but he doesn’t get me out of my seat like GG did. 

The thing with GG is that when he lined up for a shot, you didn't know whether it would be a worldie or into row Z!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I always remember being disappointed when he was on the bench. Do you get players that exciting any more? Eliasson is the nearest we’ve got, but he doesn’t get me out of my seat like GG did. 

Every time he got the ball you could hear all of the seats flipping up. He'd always run at his man and try to get a cross/shot off, no other thoughts in his mind. He played with a freedom you don't see anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Scott Murray or Albert Adomah

Brian Tinnion, Bradley Orr and Joe Bryan also up there as favourites

I’m not questioning your choice of Albert for one minute, but I wonder how much better he looked because everyone else around him was so shit?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not questioning your choice of Albert for one minute, but I wonder how much better he looked because everyone else around him was so shit?

Indeed Fordy. But what adds to him being the best player was the fact he was playing league 2 the season before and he had a fantastic attitude.

Even now, when he plays us, he always comes over to the city fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

My vote goes to "Fatty" Wedlock.

or should it be "Weight-challenged" Wedlock?

"Bigger guy" Wedlock. I'm sure UNTUCKit would be able to find him something cool to wear, were he still around today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Indeed Fordy. But what adds to him being the best player was the fact he was playing league 2 the season before and he had a fantastic attitude.

Even now, when he plays us, he always comes over to the city fans.

I seem to recall watching games and just thinking every time we got the ball “give it to Albert, it’s the only way we’re gonna score!” And the way he used to run with the ball gave our defence a massive break cos it was pretty much under pressure all the time!

Love Albert. I think he appreciates we’re where he got his big break. Similarly I think he’s a poisoned chalice for other lower league players who come here, because we think all players should be able to step up like he did!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan Walsh, Brian Tinnion and Scott Murray (for an amazing season and being an all round decent bloke).  Oh, and although I never saw him play, John Atyeo who again I understand to have been another good man as well as a great player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I seem to recall watching games and just thinking every time we got the ball “give it to Albert, it’s the only way we’re gonna score!” And the way he used to run with the ball gave our defence a massive break cos it was pretty much under pressure all the time!

Love Albert. I think he appreciates we’re where he got his big break. Similarly I think he’s a poisoned chalice for other lower league players who come here, because we think all players should be able to step up like he did!

Yeah and I always recall how knackered he'd be after 70-80 minutes, but if we were chasing a goal you could see him take a deep breath before launching into another drive forward. Lovely stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I started watching in 78, in the old First Division, my first hero was Mick Harford in that Park Purnishers kit.

After that I really liked Glyn Riley, but stopped having favourites after that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...