Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Fordy62

Who is your favourite ever Bristol City player?

So, following on from @reddogkev’s thread from yesterday - Fammy or Ade, I just thought I’d ask who your favourite ever player is?

Akinbiyi is very close for me, but he’s just pipped to the post by Shaun Taylor. The bloke was nails and good for a goal or two. Of course there’s every chance I’m misremembering the Olden days with a little too much romanticism, but Shaun Taylor is my fave ever. 

Over to you. 

• Like 2

Bradley Orr, Albert and an honourable mention for Mark Little.

Apart from Albert who was a joy to watch ,the others whist not the most talented gave everything and seemed to care about the club.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FreshPrinceofBristol said:

Gregory Goodridge

I always remember being disappointed when he was on the bench. Do you get players that exciting any more? Eliasson is the nearest we’ve got, but he doesn’t get me out of my seat like GG did. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Sir Gerry Gow without a doubt .

Honourable mentions for Norman Hunter , Terry Cooper , Bob Taylor , Biff Newman , Tom Ritchie , Alan Walsh and Scotty Murray.

Good list. Agree with Gerry Gow.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I always remember being disappointed when he was on the bench. Do you get players that exciting any more? Eliasson is the nearest we’ve got, but he doesn’t get me out of my seat like GG did. 

The thing with GG is that when he lined up for a shot, you didn't know whether it would be a worldie or into row Z!

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Every time he got the ball you could hear all of the seats flipping up. He'd always run at his man and try to get a cross/shot off, no other thoughts in his mind. He played with a freedom you don't see anymore.

Scott Murray or Albert Adomah

Brian Tinnion, Bradley Orr and Joe Bryan also up there as favourites

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Scott Murray or Albert Adomah

Brian Tinnion, Bradley Orr and Joe Bryan also up there as favourites

I’m not questioning your choice of Albert for one minute, but I wonder how much better he looked because everyone else around him was so shit?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not questioning your choice of Albert for one minute, but I wonder how much better he looked because everyone else around him was so shit?

Indeed Fordy. But what adds to him being the best player was the fact he was playing league 2 the season before and he had a fantastic attitude.

Even now, when he plays us, he always comes over to the city fans.

14 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

My vote goes to "Fatty" Wedlock.

or should it be "Weight-challenged" Wedlock?

"Bigger guy" Wedlock. I'm sure UNTUCKit would be able to find him something cool to wear, were he still around today.

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Indeed Fordy. But what adds to him being the best player was the fact he was playing league 2 the season before and he had a fantastic attitude.

Even now, when he plays us, he always comes over to the city fans.

I seem to recall watching games and just thinking every time we got the ball “give it to Albert, it’s the only way we’re gonna score!” And the way he used to run with the ball gave our defence a massive break cos it was pretty much under pressure all the time!

Love Albert. I think he appreciates we’re where he got his big break. Similarly I think he’s a poisoned chalice for other lower league players who come here, because we think all players should be able to step up like he did!

• Like 3

As a kid, I idolised Bob Taylor.

Since then, Jacki, Scotty and Albert have probably brought me the most joy. 

• Like 1

Alan Walsh, Brian Tinnion and Scott Murray (for an amazing season and being an all round decent bloke).  Oh, and although I never saw him play, John Atyeo who again I understand to have been another good man as well as a great player.

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I seem to recall watching games and just thinking every time we got the ball “give it to Albert, it’s the only way we’re gonna score!” And the way he used to run with the ball gave our defence a massive break cos it was pretty much under pressure all the time!

Love Albert. I think he appreciates we’re where he got his big break. Similarly I think he’s a poisoned chalice for other lower league players who come here, because we think all players should be able to step up like he did!

Yeah and I always recall how knackered he'd be after 70-80 minutes, but if we were chasing a goal you could see him take a deep breath before launching into another drive forward. Lovely stuff.

Although I started watching in 78, in the old First Division, my first hero was Mick Harford in that Park Purnishers kit.

After that I really liked Glyn Riley, but stopped having favourites after that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

but stopped having favourites after that.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at this! 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

At the time my "hero" player was Cheesley ( the ultimate "if only" player).

Ultimate favourite though has to be Gerry Gow - the heartbeat of the best City team Ive seen.

• Like 4

Interesting one Fordy - good q 

Its normally the best

Gerry Gow would be up there in the best but not a personal favourite 

The obvious that spring to mind for my City Life , and my favourite memories

Garland

The Cheese

Glyn Riley

Alan Walsh

Bob Taylor

Less  obvious but Basso , Martin Scott and Gary Shelton too

ohhh albeit a short visit but Andy Cole - on another planet to us

Edited by BobBobSuperBob
  • Like 2

Gerry Gow for  me,in the days when you could tackle.

Probably Bob Taylor.

Although I have a soft spot for Scott Murray if for nothing else but chasing what I recall to be a lost cause ball against Rovers in 1998 leading to Goater's goal.

I have met both of them, and they are dead nice people too.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

For me my childhood hero was 'the king of the west country' John Galley.

Mentions for Glyn Riley, Carl Shutt, Bob Taylor, Alan Walsh, Andy Cole, 'Jackie', 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Bradley Orr, Albert and an honourable mention for Mark Little.

Apart from Albert who was a joy to watch ,the others whist not the most talented gave everything and seemed to care about the club.

Interesting that most people are going for the passionate, hard workers who gave their all. 

Agree with your choices and I reckon I go back a little further so I’ll add (amongst others named elsewhere): Dave Smith, David Moyes, Nicky Morgan, Glyn Riley, Carl Shutt, Marvin Elliott, Flint, Shaun Taylor, Dele Adebola, Basso, Ayling, Wilbraham, Glenn “Psycho“ Humphries and more than any Bobby Hutchinson.

I could have named pretty much all of the double team. 

At certain times, each of those were the sort of players I enjoyed watching. Who is today’s version? I’m not sure there is one.... Korey Smith and Nathan Baker sort of get there but not really. Ohio for a couple of those characters playing tomorrow! 

Edited by Mendip City
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Sir Gerry Gow without a doubt .Alan Walsh and Scotty Murray.

My top three as well.

For one season of absolute class, and being a nasty piece of work to go with it I've always said Paul Hartley. Odd choice and others like Louis Carey, currently Nathan Baker and a few of our goal scorers over the years have come close but Hartley always stands out in my mind.

Crumbs...

Diffetent players, different eras.

Looking back it’s almost never the ‘best’ player.

At the start, Super Bob & Mark Gavin

Then Martin Scott and Keith Welch

Paul Agostino was a cult hero amongst us 14/15 year olds.

This century, Scott Murray.

Overall for me, maybe Martin Scott.

Ive never actually supported anyone other than City but when he went to Sunderland, it’s the closest I’ve come. When he scored the penalty winner against the shitty Newcastle, at Rooker Park in their first meting back in Div 1, I was so happy.

• Like 3

Shaun Goater as it was the first season i can remember going to regularly.

I used to watch Mickey Bell play and try to emulate him on a Sunday morning.

The most I enjoyed watching a player was either Scott Murray or Marvin Elliott’s season where he was like having 3 central midfielders. He was everywhere.

• Like 2

Honourable mentions to Tommy D, Akinbiyi, Adomah, Mickey Bell and Scott Murray but 'later period' Tinnion is my favourite.

Was never a fan of his on the left but when he went in to a midfield 3 under Wilson we played some amazing football and it all went through him. Shame the rest of them were constantly on the lash! 🍻

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, grifty said:

Shaun Goater as it was the first season i can remember going to regularly.

I used to watch Mickey Bell play and try to emulate him on a Sunday morning.

The most I enjoyed watching a player was either Scott Murray or Marvin Elliott’s season where he was like having 3 central midfielders. He was everywhere.

I loved the Goat as well, a real hero of mine. I was so excited when we signed him, can remember reading it in the post.

What do you do?

I score goals

You don’t appear to be that quick

I score goals

Your touch is actually quite poor

I score goals

Technically you’re not great

I score goals and I’ll score goals at every level.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Steve Brooker was class for us when I was the age that I was really getting in to football. Wish he'd had better luck with injuries. 

For entertainment value, Trundle, Adomah and JET are definitely up there. 

• Like 3