IGNORED

JET

Bristolisredd

What have we got to lose from offering JET a trial if he really is that keen to play for us?

He’s the kind of player who could turn a match with just one move. He’s certainly the most exciting player that we have had in the last 20 years.

And as we are going to have 5 replacements next season, it’s going to be more like American Football, where you can almost pick a bench with a couple of “special” players, when the need arises. Could JET be one of those? No idea, and neither does anyone else unless you give him a go. He certainly has more natural talent than most players at Championship level and he’s only 29. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

What have we got to lose from offering JET a trial if he really is that keen to play for us?

He’s the kind of player who could turn a match with just one move. He’s certainly the most exciting player that we have had in the last 20 years.

And as we are going to have 5 replacements next season, it’s going to be more like American Football, where you can almost pick a bench with a couple of “special” players, when the need arises. Could JET be one of those? No idea, and neither does anyone else unless you give him a go. He certainly has more natural talent than most players at Championship level and he’s only 29. 

He failed a trial at Cheltenham mate. 

I liked JET when he played for us but would I want him back, hell no, he isn't anywhere near the level we require these days. He has nothing to offer the club and we need to stop clinging to nostalgia and past players and move the club forward.

If you had not followed his career, after watching a 5 minute YouTube video of his highlights you'd have thought he'd be playing week in week out in the prem. Unfortunately as many have alluded to he never produced that consistently. 

Having said that I very much look back on his time here with rose tinted specs. If the budget is tight this year post Covid and Fammy gets sold, leaving us with Wells, Weimann and Semenyo, I'd much rather have JET as our 4th choice forward than Watkins for example. But really depends quite how badly our finances have been affected and what budget we are working with this summer. 

He’s obviously not coming back here - despite unbelievable natural ability he was as lazy as they come and had no interest in putting in the hard work. 

One about 4 or 5 City players who genuinely got me off my seat when he got the ball. Scored some outrageous goals - many long rangers but could also walk by players too. In fact most of his football was played at walking pace - that’s how lazy he was yet still class. I’ve no doubt if he was willing to work hard he would be a top player but he’s got no interest so that’s why he just fell away. 

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I don't think we should sign him, but watching this makes me think we should give him a 50 year contract, make him Mayor of the city and let him take his pick from any of our wives/girlfriends.

A family member of mine went out with him a few times, he never mentioned football to her once.

Let him come back on trial for preseason. Prove his fitness.

It may be his spell in Thailand has made him realise his err in terms of application (ala Tomlin). If not, let him find another club.

I say bring him back.

Either give him a trial to prove himself, or give him a pay-as-you-play deal for a year. Let him have a crack at the Championship, and we'll take it from there.

Failing that, I'm shocked that JET hasn't made his way to MLS. He seems like a perfect player for over there.

15 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Best DJ to ever play football

Cant believe some want him back!

He wasn't a DJ but spent a lot of time promoting his own nightclub events. Seems to knock around with lots of the same guys he grew up with in London which includes the boxer Anthony Yarde. 

When we signed him, my nephew an ITFC ST Holder,  told me sometimes he's a match winner, other times he looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

As for having him back; OK  we might get  some useful performances out of him, but is he too old / unfit now for top  end of the Championship?

1 minute ago, GILLI said:

Was decent on HIS day .... but was way to inconsistent .... him and O’Dowda in the same team now means we’d be basically paying with 9 players 

Are you seriously saying that playing with JET was like playing a man short?  You must have been watching different games to me.  Yes, his body language can be difficult to read sometimes, but I saw no lack of effort from the guy and many exceptional performances.  All players have their off-days,  and I don’t remember JET having any more than anyone else.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Are you seriously saying that playing with JET was like playing a man short?  You must have been watching different games to me.  Yes, his body language can be difficult to read sometimes, but I saw no lack of effort from the guy and many exceptional performances.  All players have their off-days,  and I don’t remember JET having any more than anyone else.

Yeah I can't remember games where he was terrible, just some where he was average and others where he was fantastic. He's a far more talented footballer than O'Dowda anyway so it's a bit of an odd comparison. 

Guest lou2BS7

I can’t actually believe people on here and twitter are considering this a feasible idea haha. Good on his day but his day was too inconsistent and wasn’t taken to the championship for a good reason.

It shouldn’t even be a discussion!

good luck to the bloke but come on 

5 minutes ago, lou2BS7 said:

I can’t actually believe people on here and twitter are considering this a feasible idea haha. Good on his day but his day was too inconsistent and wasn’t taken to the championship for a good reason.

I think people are largely saying if he wants to come on for a trial and can prove he still has the ability plus has the application to get fit.. we should give him a go as there's nothing to lose. 

Mainly the thread is an appreciation of how good he could be for us a few seasons back.

I genuinely don’t recall him being massively inconsistent. No more so than anyone else. 

My ladder of Bristol City love sees JET tied with Ade Akinbiyi at the opposite end of the spectrum to Lee Johnson (as manager). 

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I genuinely don’t recall him being massively inconsistent. No more so than anyone else. 

My ladder of Bristol City love sees JET tied with Ade Akinbiyi at the opposite end of the spectrum to Lee Johnson (as manager). 

He's up there for me with Lee Trundle, David Noble, Adomah and Hartley as favourite players I've watched. There's something about the flawed genius types (Trundle, Noble and JET) that I really enjoy. Strangely I never warmed to Tomlin in quite the same way, I think that's because it's pretty obvious that he's not a very nice man.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

When we signed him, my nephew an ITFC ST Holder,  told me sometimes he's a match winner, other times he looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

As for having him back; OK  we might get  some useful performances out of him, but is he too old / unfit now for top  end of the Championship?

I just checked the odds on that question with the bookies. They offered me 1000/1. 

Was a very good, exciting player, but we have moved on significantly since then. He hasn't made it elsewhere since leaving us and that says it all. 

Thanks for the memories but let's not waste time even giving him a trial when we have our own players who need the time (ala Szmodics, Palmer). 

2 hours ago, lou2BS7 said:

Not taken to the championship?

We wanted him to sign and he wouldn’t sign a new deal. He then signed for QPR... in the championship. 

5 minutes ago, Angmering Red said:

My recollection was that he was released as Cotterill didn't want him to stay once his contract finished.

I am 99% sure that is the correct version of events.

There are essentially two debates taking place here. One is about whether a return to the club is a realistic idea. The second concerns JET’s ability and the contribution he made during his time here. 

As to the first question, whilst I would have absolutely no problem with offering him the opportunity to train with us, I honestly think - and I say this as a huge admirer of the man’s talent - the chances of him ever being fit for purpose in the Championship again are vanishingly small.

Regarding his ability, I’ve supported City for nearly 60 years and he is probably the most naturally gifted footballer I’ve ever seen in a City shirt in that time. Anyone who couldn’t see that ability should get themselves either a football education or an urgent appointment at SpecSavers - or both. 

His shortcomings are well known, but as others have rightly said, if you doubt that he made a valuable contribution here, check the stats on appearances, goals and assists. They don’t lie. Then when you’ve done that, give yourself a treat and watch all the footage you can find of those goals and assists on YouTube or wherever.

Whatever else he was or was not, one thing is indisputable: the guy was an absolutely fantastic footballer.

11 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

That was Freeman, wasn't it?

Yes, it was.

On 03/08/2020 at 18:21, SecretSam said:

Trundle had zero end product. Lots of prancing around (very slowly) but bar one game, achieved very little for us. Swansea must have laughed their arses off when we bought him.

Jacki and JET, on the other hand, could do it - but only when they could be arsed.

I am assuming the game to which you refer was home to Scunthorpe - in which LT scored one of the best goals I have ever seen at Ashton Gate.

If not, then there were at least two games in which Trundle played (exceptionally) well and, it might be argued furthermore, had GJ played him in such a way/position that he was able to show off his undoubted talent, we might have got automatic promotion that year, rather than having to play (and lose to) Hull in the play-offs.  

Rather than 'laughing their asses off when we bought him' I can well imagine Swansea were dumbfounded as to how we (GJ) tried to change what was, and had been for many years, an unqualified success, i.e. changing the way LT had played to such a high standard that we paid £1M for him. 

14 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Rather than 'laughing their asses off when we bought him' I can well imagine Swansea were dumbfounded as to how we (GJ) tried to change what was, and had been for many years, an unqualified success, i.e. changing the way LT had played to such a high standard that we paid £1M for him. 

The man who'd torn apart the leagues below us. Nope, don't buy it. We didn't need him and he didn't do enough.

Steve Cotterill let JET go and said his body wasn't designed for modern day professional football where athleticism and the ability to get up and down the pitch counts. I think he was being genuine rather than using natural lack of fitness as a euphemism for laziness.  

I could see a committed JET still doing really well in league 1 with the right manager and his stats for goals and assists were excellent.   You'd think he would almost be worth taking a chance on as a last ten minutes impact player in the Championship.  The problem with that is that JET seemed to get up to his best after playing a few games.  I'm guessing he loved playing rather than training and a few consecutive 90 minutes on the pitch was the best, or only, way to get him to a level of fitness where he could show his natural ability.

17 hours ago, Angmering Red said:

My recollection was that he was released as Cotterill didn't want him to stay once his contract finished.

Wasn’t it just a simple case of him being affordable because Ipswich were still contributing to his wages in 14/15, but he was too expensive without that contribution.

Maybe, I remember he was signed as a swap with Anderson going to Ipswich, so something would have been sorted between the clubs regarding wages, particularly as he was out of favour at Ipswich.

He was never really first choice under Cotterill then, as he had been the season before, as we had signed Wilbs and Agard, he and Smith came in when they were injured, so after promotion would think that Cotterill had others in mind to try to sign instead ahead of him...Gayle, Gray, Kodjia as it turned out.

Hmmm. Some of us looking at this through beer-tinted, nostalgic goggles, i fear.

I would love to have him back at his weaving, step-over, bursting, subliminal prime, but even then, it was like playing with 10 and a half players, due to his inability to get back and contribute to defensive duties.

Let the hope die ... sorry ? but it's a painful, no from me

1 minute ago, LocoPal said:

Hmmm. Some of us looking at this through beer-tinted, nostalgic goggles, i fear.

I would love to have him back at his weaving, step-over, bursting, subliminal prime, but even then, it was like playing with 10 and a half players, due to his inability to get back and contribute to defensive duties.

Let the hope die ... sorry ? but it's a painful, no from me

Are you really saying that a fully fit and motivated JET would have nothing to offer our fairly average squad at the ripe old age of 29?

He’s got that X-factor that only a few players have. He’s never going to be an all action pressing ‘busy bee’ forward.. but what he does offer is mercurial talent that only a few players possess.

At the very least I’d love to see him offered a trial.. if he’s not up to it then nothing ventured nothing gained.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Are you really saying that a fully fit and motivated JET would have nothing to offer our fairly average squad at the ripe old age of 29?

He’s got that X-factor that only a few players have. He’s never going to be an all action pressing ‘busy bee’ forward.. but what he does offer is mercurial talent that only a few players possess.

At the very least I’d love to see him offered a trial.. if he’s not up to it then nothing ventured nothing gained.

Definately deserves a trial. No risk there. Agreed.

And he will rip it up in some lower divs, as long as there are hard working and experienced midfielders to make up for his slack. I've no doubt about that either.

But ... at present we have a light-weight/inexperienced midfield that can't carry potentially explosive show-ponies. That would be my worry.

6 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

Definately deserves a trial. No risk there. Agreed.

And he will rip it up in some lower divs, as long as there are hard working and experienced midfielders to make up for his slack. I've no doubt about that either.

But ... at present we have a light-weight/inexperienced midfield that can't carry potentially explosive show-ponies. That would be my worry.

I’m incredibly biased as JET is one of my favourite ever City players so I’ll never be objective about him.

What I do think though, in all seriousness, is that whilst he’s a free agent - in these testing times - he’s worth a trial at the very least to see where he’s at. He has more natural ability than anyone else in our squad in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m incredibly biased as JET is one of my favourite ever City players so I’ll never be objective about him.

What I do think though, in all seriousness, is that whilst he’s a free agent - in these testing times - he’s worth a trial at the very least to see where he’s at. He has more natural ability than anyone else in our squad in my opinion.

I know it didn't go to plan for him at Cheltenham on trial, but that isn't necessary down to ability of course.

He might be wanting a higher wage than they were prepared to offer.

Should we invite him to training? Sure, why not. May help the youth learn a few skills.

Should we sign him? God no, the guys hasn’t played at this level for a number of years nor has he even shown the signs of doing so. The love in on Twitter is insane.

4 minutes ago, RobArnold10 said:

Should we invite him to training? Sure, why not. May help the youth learn a few skills.

Should we sign him? God no, the guys hasn’t played at this level for a number of years nor has he even shown the signs of doing so. The love in on Twitter is insane.

Where’s your sense of adventure - he is fantastic 

I’d take a JET type over a Weimann any day 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Where’s your sense of adventure - he is fantastic 

I’d take a JET type over a Weimann any day 

I think I lost it when I turned thirty and couldn’t handle the beer so well. 

Don’t get me wrong I love a good flair player, but do we not have KP45? I heard he played for us!

Archived