IGNORED

10 games gone time to own up.

Roadrunner

A few months ago i said i would not make any comments on here until we had played 10 games. I wanted to give the club a measured view. Not to come on here praising one player one match then saying he is not fit to wear the shirt the next. I was angry with the whole board in the way they handled the next manager process. I did not want them to give the job to Dean Holden. Hence leaving it 10 matches before i wrote this.I wanted to give him a fair chance.

This morning i still do not trust the board. I am unhappy with the government/scientists not allowing  some fans back into football grounds. What of Dean Holden, his staff and players.After five games i was ready to eat humble pie, with ice cream of course. The players i have thought for a number of years are able to be  pushing for promotion. But with poor coaching, management I was unhappy with performances, tactics, not given  certain players a chance, substitution and so on. So after 10 games we are in 6th place, so far so good. Although i feel it could have been better. All players will make mistakes, we all do. Same goes for managers. I am not convinced that Dean will come though this season. As i said i have little faith in the board. But so far so good, if after 20 games we are still in the top 6 i will start warming the oven for some humble pie. Lets all hope we can start attending games home and away to support the club we love and Dean can learn from the first 10 games.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

A few months ago i said i would not make any comments on here until we had played 10 games. I wanted to give the club a measured view. Not to come on here praising one player one match then saying he is not fit to wear the shirt the next. I was angry with the whole board in the way they handled the next manager process. I did not want them to give the job to Dean Holden. Hence leaving it 10 matches before i wrote this.I wanted to give him a fair chance.

This morning i still do not trust the board. I am unhappy with the government/scientists not allowing  some fans back into football grounds. What of Dean Holden, his staff and players.After five games i was ready to eat humble pie, with ice cream of course. The players i have thought for a number of years are able to be  pushing for promotion. But with poor coaching, management I was unhappy with performances, tactics, not given  certain players a chance, substitution and so on. So after 10 games we are in 6th place, so far so good. Although i feel it could have been better. All players will make mistakes, we all do. Same goes for managers. I am not convinced that Dean will come though this season. As i said i have little faith in the board. But so far so good, if after 20 games we are still in the top 6 i will start warming the oven for some humble pie. Lets all hope we can start attending games home and away to support the club we love and Dean can learn from the first 10 games.

Yes nice piece. 

Have little faith in the board and never sure of Ashton either way. Yes Still not sure Holden was the best appt. Happy with some good signings. After 10 games happy with where we are. When we have havea fully fit squad we could maybe possibly get it together for a promotion push is on. 

But hey dreams are made of..... 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

That's a delicate matter between a man and his wife. Not sure that belongs on a footy forum. 

We're 6th, albeit maybe we'll drop a bit tonight?

A shitload of injuries, again- as per usual! More encouraging for me though is we've taken points I'm not sure we would have last season.

Last night, possibly Swansea at home, even Coventry on opening day would we have had that second wind? Could make a case for away games at Barnsley and Nottingham Forest too.

Is it perfect? No. However it's been reasonable, football has been better generally, underlying numbers have been better.

Let's not forget the injuries! I've got worries about some of the selections of course, but overall it's been quite good to date IMO.

Here's something to be a bit happier about. It's too early to say vs Coventry, Bournemouth and Norwich because who they replaced, it's hard to say. Eg are Norwich Leeds, West Brom or Fulham of last season?

Stoke (A) 2-0 vs 2-1

Sheffield Wednesday (H) 2-0 vs 1-2

Nottingham Forest (A) 2-1 vs 0-1

Barnsley (A) 2-2 vs 2-2 (isn't it always!?)

Middlesbrough (H) 0-1 vs 2-2

Swansea (H) 1-1 vs 0-0

Huddersfield (A) 2-1 vs 1-2.

PTS +/- = +8

GOALS FOR +/- = +3

GOALS AGAINST +/- = - 4

GD +/- = +7

You might like these above stats too @Davefevs sure you have it on your Spreadsheet. 

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is it perfect? No. However it's been reasonable, football has been better generally, underlying numbers have been better.

I think this would be my broad summary. There's been some woeful moments, dreadful periods of games, and some real schoolboy mistakes. But there's also been some big improvements in the basics of football - passing, tackling etc. In general under Holden goals scored are up and goals conceded are down. Likewise shots are up (very slightly) and shots against are down.

I remain concerned that we continue to rely on taking and finishing a low number of high quality shots. I am not sure that doing that is a recipe for long term success, and it's not something you often see in the numbers for teams that do get promoted. 

If I had to stick a figure on it I'd reticently say that across our tiny sample size of 15 league games we've seen maybe a 10% overall improvement.

I thought the whole process for manager was ridiculous, and I still think an experienced man would have been better. But I also think it's pointless going over that when out glorious leader has made his choice, so we are where we are.
10 games in, streaky (trademark Lee Johnson) form where 4 wins from 4, and some luck ridden. Then , well I'm not sure how you sum up those 5 games. Boro showed we lack the nouse to break down a side intent on spoiling a game. The next 4 showed that the 2 No10's doesn't work, and showed we need to change the back 3 or personnel . I do think you still can't judge the manager quite yet , although I have questioned decisions and choices, but as @REDOXO says with the injuries, we are doing well to be in the top 6. I would say to judge fairly, hope that we get players back after the break and put out something like a full strength team, or his version of it.  With what we've had to deal with so far, a win Friday and a return of 20 points from 11 games would be brilliant. To get an announcement from Holden to say 4 players would return to the squad over the break would be really exciting.

Our points tally is good & there has been a clear intent to use more Academy players & to play with a settled formation.

Thought the appointment process was shambolic & selected the wrong person but no point in revisiting something after ever single defeat now that isn’t going to change.

Not as convinced that the recruitment was as good as many think & we are very short of defensive options.

If we could manage a point on Friday then it will have been an excellent start, would like at least 2 of those out injured back (I’m not including Bakinson here) but experience suggests even that may be optimistic.

Think we will have to revise our plans for January as a result.

Archived