IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

45 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its quite telling that during the British grand prix there is only one post.

I reckon F1 have lost a lot of fans since Abu Dhabi 2021.

Apparently Sky have had more viewers than ever .

Must be Max Verstappen fans !

Pleased for the likes of Norris and Albon doing well but might as well have a different championship.

C4 guy probably biased a bit by the a Brits doing well .

Actually shows how inconsistent everyone else is.

Last week Ferrari were the best of the rest with Mercedes’ complaining but roles were revered whilst McLaren probably took advantage of a great qualifying .

And Aston Martin are a one man team - if Stroll wasn’t the owners son wouldn’t be in a job .

Edited by Markthehorn

• Admin
4 hours ago, nebristolred said:

The mad thing is that if it weren't for Red Bull and Verstappen, it would likely be an all-time great season. The fight behind Max is really interesting.

The technical catching up (or not in the case of some) of the cars is making this an interesting season, McLaren have obviously found a big chunk of performance, Aston Martin are losing some ground, Mercedes seem to make a step forwards then a step back, then a third of a step forwards again, I think to assess Mercedes real progress a view over several races is necessary.

I also thought  I heard them say on Sky, that this weekends attendance at Silverstone is the highest ever.

• Like 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Might have something to with a cricket match that is going on at the same time

Not sure how that can be a reason when so many other threads are updated, I was surprised when I added the 2024 calendar how little had been posted in this thread 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Not sure how that can be a reason when so many other threads are updated, I was surprised when I added the 2024 calendar how little had been posted in this thread 

That's exactly what i meant. If this thread is an indicator of levels of interest, then i would say people have switched off from it. I know i have

I must be an outlier because I really don’t care who wins the race, I just like to see some interesting battles between drivers and teams throughout a race or the season.

This year I have found interesting with Aston Martin, Ferrari, Mercedes generally battling it out for places 2-8 with some random Haas or Alpine doing well on a suited track and now Mclarens update seemingly doing great for the last two tracks and will it continue.

Skys coverage before hand with the group they have and the pieces they do with current drivers, ex drivers, teams are alway interesting, I like the dynamic of David Croft (excitable, has a few Murrayisms) and Martin Brundle. Ted’s notebook is well worth a watch just to see some behind the scenes stuff after the race.

• Like 2

On 09/07/2023 at 16:08, TonyTonyTony said:

Its quite telling that during the British grand prix there is only one post.

I reckon F1 have lost a lot of fans since Abu Dhabi 2021.

Is it that or just because it's boring watching one person dominate?

41 minutes ago, Super said:

Is it that or just because it's boring watching one person dominate?

Maybe but Sky and Liberty reckon numbers are up but that might in the USA and other places where there are new tracks to appeal to younger generations of fans or business and their clients .

Guess they aren’t going to say the numbers are falling otherwise sponsors won’t pay as much .

That one stinks a bit, Perez leading but Red Bull pitting Max first and he gets the undercut on Perez, somehow you can't help but think tying the 9 race wins record was their bigger priority rather than being fair with team tactics and giving race leader Perez the better pit stop.

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That one stinks a bit, Perez leading but Red Bull pitting Max first and he gets the undercut on Perez, somehow you can't help but think tying the 9 race wins record was their bigger priority rather than being fair with team tactics and giving race leader Perez the better pit stop.

Wow a team putting their best driver first

never seen that in  F1 before  !!!!!

15 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Wow a team putting their best driver first

never seen that in  F1 before  !!!!!

Obviously not, but the general trend on a race by race basis where Max has obviously won the title already would be the leading driver getting the preferential stop, you could tell from the radio Perez had no idea the team made the call

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

When does a sport stop being a sport?

13 races and 13 wins for Red Bull, 9 for one driver. 

From 22 drivers and 10 constructors. Incredibly dull and predictable. 

Well behind him it’s certainly very close and competitive but  results are  rather inconsistent which is why Verstappen dominates so much .

He doesn’t make any errors and nor do Red Bull 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

When does a sport stop being a sport?

13 races and 13 wins for Red Bull, 9 for one driver. 

From 22 drivers and 10 constructors. Incredibly dull and predictable. 

Would be interesting to know how viewing figures and spectator attendance has altered if at all over the last few years. Used to find Formula One exciting but haven't bothered with it for years now.

29 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Would be interesting to know how viewing figures and spectator attendance has altered if at all over the last few years. Used to find Formula One exciting but haven't bothered with it for years now.

Well Sky reckon they are on the up but that is probably because the sport goes across the world to many places now and there will always be die hards in the traditional countries like Britain. 

Suppose Dutch fans for example will say it's no different to when Hamilton dominated but then he had a competitive team mate and Ferrari posed a challenge at times. 

As I say everyone else seems so inconsistent.

One race they are are fine and on form - the next something goes wrong.

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 1