IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

Viewing figures are very much on the up from what I gather, unfortunately that will undoubtedly be the metric of 'success' used by the owners and management, when in reality the soul of the sport has been bleeding from it for quite a while.

It's quite bittersweet to be fair. Unlike a lot of others, I think this new rise in celebrity culture with F1, the idea that an F1 event is a huge spectacle regardless of the location, and all of that subsequent marketing around it to position it as an elite sport, is generally pretty good. There's no doubt as well that the owners have made the sport so much more accessible to fans, particularly with the online side of things, which is something that Bernie just had no interest or understanding of whatsoever.

But when it comes to the actual soul of the sport.... it's just diminishing. Adrian Newey himself bemoans the lack of creative room that is now left for designers. Rules that now mean it's almost impossible to win (with admittedly a few exceptions) unless you are an OEM or a main customer of an engine manufacturer. A complete inability to even drive let alone race in the wet. And now probably mid-way through what will be the least competitive (in terms of 1st place) era in the history of the sport. It's certainly worse than the Hamilton/Merc days, and if it continues it will overtake the Schuey/Ferrari days comfortably. All with less and less creativity allowed to designers, and more and more generic parts all over the place. Not to mention squeezing evermore races into weekend slots that basically now don't exist.

This isn't a complete criticism of Liberty Media, I do like a lot of what they've done, but nothing shows F1 up for what it is more than having a new incoming fanbase largely made up of the sort who have no understanding of the sport, will follow the (sometimes entirely manufactured) drama from Drive to Survive, and make their judgments and buy a ton of merch based off of that. I certainly have mates who are like that, couldn't stand the sport before but now because Norris has some made up beef with X driver, will buy a ton of McLaren clothing and have no concept of what's happening. To Liberty that's a financial and engagement success. To the sport itself, it offers absolutely nothing.

I don't know where it goes from here. I like that they're trialling new ways of racing in the wet, and I think they are aware enough to realise that they need competition for the sport to thrive. I just hope they find a way to get there.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Thanks 1

Yawn. Another F1 race procession of first place.  A bit sad that they celebrate MV achievement at winning 10 races when his car is so much better than everyone elses. Hardly a race really. Like sticking Man City in the Championship and then celebrating the amazing achievement when they run away with it ?

Something needs to change in F1 to make it less predictable. 

I'd love to see all teams race in the same spec cars and it be down to the skill of the driver. Never happen though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

Yawn. Another F1 race procession of first place.  A bit sad that they celebrate MV achievement at winning 10 races when his car is so much better than everyone elses. Hardly a race really. Like sticking Man City in the Championship and then celebrating the amazing achievement when they run away with it ?

Something needs to change in F1 to make it less predictable. 

I'd love to see all teams race in the same spec cars and it be down to the skill of the driver. Never happen though.

We have seen all this before though with Schumacher and Hamilton. It's up to the other teams to up their game.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

He did carry Bristol Sport sponsorship when he was competing in the British and European Formula 3 championships. I'm reasonably confident that he was no longer carrying it once he stepped up to Formula 2.

His father Adam had a large amount of money invested in Hargreaves Lansdown. He's worth a fortune himself. 

There was no money given to Lando by Bristol Sport (allegedly )Landos connection was purely to benefit both parties commercially. In name alone.

Lando told me this himself when I sat down and spoke with him, when I was a guest of McLaren in 2019 at the Brazilian GP. 

Yep all Hamilton's fault that one.

It was quite interesting to see/hear from the drivers after the race. Ocon apparently vomited in his car on lap 15, a couple struggled to get out of the cars afterwards, and according to Lando a few fainted in the medical centre after the race. I assume it's to do with the g-forces considering it's not really an F1 track, but it goes to show how much of a physical sport it is.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

It was quite interesting to see/hear from the drivers after the race. Ocon apparently vomited in his car on lap 15, a couple struggled to get out of the cars afterwards, and according to Lando a few fainted in the medical centre after the race. I assume it's to do with the g-forces considering it's not really an F1 track, but it goes to show how much of a physical sport it is.

I’d imagine the heat had a big part to play too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Heat and humidity took it's toll

• Admin

Finally, a mistake from Verstappen in qualifying (well, to be accurate, two mistakes) that’ll liven the race up as he tries to get in front.

Looks like some of the other cars have copied Red Bulls design and with the upgrades they are looking closer in qualifying, wonder if they have got the long run race pace and tyre management right?

• Like 1