IGNORED

Bristol City v Blackburn

ExiledAjax

Apologies to either @Septic Peg, @havanatopia or anyone else who normally sticks this up. However, I wanted to get this going so we've got a place to chat about tonight's match.

Blackburn was the last game I went to before moving abroad. That fine 1-0 away in early 2019 when Eros Pisano netted on a chilly February day at Ewood Park. That was a cracking away day but since then the ex-premier league champions have bested us twice. 

The following will pale in comparison to a @Davefevs thread but here's a very potted summary of their season so far. Blackburn have started well, and although they sit two places below us their numbers are hugely impressive. We are welcoming the division's top scorers with 31 goals, resulting from the second highest number of shots (15 per match). That figure of 31 is roughly 2 per game (our stated aim this term) and many are thanks to divisional top scorer Armstrong who has a frankly ridiculous 14 goals from 15 appearances. Recent form is also excellent with Rovers on a 7 game run without loss.

They seem to line up in a 433 and as I understand it have pretty much their full squad to choose from. Defence is the only part of their team that isn't at full strength as CB Lenihan is suspended following his red card against Brentford. Wharton is also out with an achilles injury, but City old-boy Williams may return after resuming training this week.

A win for Rovers will take them above us in the table.

Frankly I am pessimistic. All the signs point to us being put under a brutal siege and if Bentley isn't MOTM then it will mean we've posted a fine win. 

Blackburn 3-1 City for me. Bentley MOTM.

Apologies for the brevity and the pessimism.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have a good feeling about tonight. We've had a few unconvincing performances that have ground out ok results. I think we might get a surprise win tonight. No basis behind it, just gut feeling. 

Blackburn 1-2 City. 

Hope you are right. But we are at home, so you may want to change your forecast ?

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have a good feeling about tonight. We've had a few unconvincing performances that have ground out ok results. I think we might get a surprise win tonight. No basis behind it, just gut feeling. 

Blackburn 1-2 City. 

I just don't think Blackburn are the kind of team who let you "grind out" a result. They're closer in style to Norwich and will absolutely blast you. 

Maybe we can do it, maybe our counter attack will fire or Bakinson can come back in and screen effectively. But as I say, I'm pessimistic.

Just now, Lew-T said:

Hunt and Bakinson back in tonight so I’ve been told.

Could we go wingbacks though....or you’ve been told formation too?

FWIW quite looking forward to watching Harvey Elliott tonight.  A young’un who plays with a lot of confidence.  Nyambe I really rate too.  They could pair Williams with Ayala in the centre tonight, so that’s a pairing we could get at.  Johnson usually plays well against us too.

Take a draw now.

Think they are a better side than us & Mowbray is an underrated manager.

Certainly did a number on us at AG last season, started quickly, scored very early on & were in complete control.

Currently on a decent unbeaten run.

29 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Apologies to either @Septic Peg, @havanatopia or anyone else who normally sticks this up. However, I wanted to get this going so we've got a place to chat about tonight's match.

Blackburn was the last game I went to before moving abroad. That fine 1-0 away in early 2019 when Eros Pisano netted on a chilly February day at Ewood Park. That was a cracking away day but since then the ex-premier league champions have bested us twice. 

The following will pale in comparison to a @Davefevs thread but here's a very potted summary of their season so far. Blackburn have started well, and although they sit two places below us their numbers are hugely impressive. We are welcoming the division's top scorers with 31 goals, resulting from the second highest number of shots (15 per match). That figure of 31 is roughly 2 per game (our stated aim this term) and many are thanks to divisional top scorer Armstrong who has a frankly ridiculous 14 goals from 15 appearances. Recent form is also excellent with Rovers on a 7 game run without loss.

They seem to line up in a 433 and as I understand it have pretty much their full squad to choose from. Defence is the only part of their team that isn't at full strength as CB Lenihan is suspended following his red card against Brentford. Wharton is also out with an achilles injury, but City old-boy Williams may return after resuming training this week.

A win for Rovers will take them above us in the table.

Frankly I am pessimistic. All the signs point to us being put under a brutal siege and if Bentley isn't MOTM then it will mean we've posted a fine win. 

Blackburn 3-1 City for me. Bentley MOTM.

Apologies for the brevity and the pessimism.

Condensed Version 

Blackburn

Peg, Hav & Dafydd have done a runner.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Take a draw now.

Think they are a better side than us & Mowbray is an underrated manager.

Certainly did a number on us at AG last season, started quickly, scored very early on & were in complete control.

Currently on a decent unbeaten run.

Very underrated manager.  

Just now, BigTone said:

Condensed Version 

Blackburn

Peg & Hav have done a runner

Together?

Just now, DT The Optimist said:

Come on folks. We’re playing Blackburn, not Barcelona. 
They are below us in table.. a win... to stop the mini rot. ( if you can call it that) Please DH play players in natural positions, make them worry about us...play to our strengths..

The optimist...

Clearly you are.

6 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Come on folks. We’re playing Blackburn, not Barcelona. 
They are below us in table.. a win... to stop the mini rot. ( if you can call it that) Please DH play players in natural positions, make them worry about us...play to our strengths..

The optimist...

Honestly right now I think I'd rather play Barcelona.

56 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Feeling pessimistic too, can’t help thinking Blackburn will punish all of our mistakes tonight’s and turn us over. 3-1 to Rovers.

Blackburn pose a goal scoring threat and we don't. I agree with the 3-1 to Rovers and if we are as poor as we have been lately at home it could be worse.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I just don't think Blackburn are the kind of team who let you "grind out" a result. They're closer in style to Norwich and will absolutely blast you. 

Maybe we can do it, maybe our counter attack will fire or Bakinson can come back in and screen effectively. But as I say, I'm pessimistic.

See, as soon as I see the term counter attack, that makes me think of defending for our lives, which is usually from minute one.

Archived