Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Sheffield United (A) - Weds 10th Feb 19:30 - Matchday thread

What will the result be?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What I expect:

Bentley

Mariappa      Kalas     Mawson

Hunt                                                         Moore

Lansbury      Williams     Vyner

Diedhiou           Wells

Bench: O'Leary, Towler, Nagy, Massengo, Paterson, Palmer, Semenyo

I expect the game to be used to get more minutes into the legs of Lansbury and Williams, I think Moore coming on for Mariappa was a tester as to Moore's capabilities on the left and Dean has spoken about times where he's been frustrated that he can't match teams up, if he thinks Moore capable I think we could well go 352. Vyner in midfield as a more defensive option while allowing the other two some freedom. I don't see Dean straying from the front two either.

What I'd like to see

O'Leary

Vyner       Moore     Mawson

Hunt                                                           Harper

Nagy   Lansbury     Massengo

Semenyo         Wells

Bench: Jojo, Mariappa, Towler, Williams, Bakinson, Paterson, Bell, Britton

We won't be expected to get a result here so where's the harm in seeing if Harper could be ready for championship action, put Mawson alongside him as an experienced head who communicates well. O'Leary deserves to keep the cup spot and I'd give Bentley a game off entirely by taking Jojo, same with Kalas. I'd go with a mobile midfield where possible with Nagy and Massengo and then Lansbury to try and thread balls, we could see his intent when passing lanes were open. I'd also go Semenyo and Wells upfront for mobilty, again looking to get on balls from Lansbury or Massengo/Nagy breaking forward on turnovers. Frankly I'd drop Diedhiou on recent performances, give him a rocket up his ass and tell him performances need to improve to be playing for us, tell him he's hardly going to get a good offer if he moves on if he doesn't play well for us or misses out on play time for 4 months because of it hurting his next move. Britton's performances in the 23's judging by match reports deserve a chance if we want a physical presence.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, JonDolman said:

O'Leary 

Moore Kalas. Mawson

Vyner.    Bakinson.  Nagy 

Williams.  Paterson 

Semenyo. Wells 

Nagy at LWB seems a reasonable suggestion in the circumstances. Great engine, defensive minded, athletic and versatile.

Obviously not ideal, but a better option than Mariappa in the circumstances.

• Like 1

Bentley

Moore Kalas Mawson

Hunt        Vyner   Bakinson           Nagy 

Semenyo                Paterson 

Diedhiou

O'Leary.         

Vyner.    Kalas.   Mawson.

Hunt.                                      Harper.

Patterson.  Williams.  Nagy.

Diedhiou.      Wells.

Bench;

Bakinson...Lansbury...Palmer...Bents....Britton...Bell...Mariappa..Towler.

Edited by Son of Fred
20 hours ago, Simon79 said:

I guess the proofs in the pudding. COYR

It's not though. Just because we lose doesn't mean someone sat on OTIB had the right formula necessarily? We don't know the ins and outs, the mood of the players, the injuries and fatigue levels, their comfort in a new position that they may have already tried on the training ground, even someone having a bad nights sleep because their kid kept them awake or they woke up feeling under the weather! Whilst it's fun/interesting to debate we simply aren't in a position to name a team from any position other than form and "on paper" ability.

Making changes to things that aren't working in a game is different, there are some seriously knowledgeable people on here who spot weaknesses that often our manager doesnt manage to see (or doesnt consider an issue) but no one can pick a team pre-match without that inside knowledge of the players IMO - it's too easy to criticise after the game that they got it wrong.

On 07/02/2021 at 09:38, JonDolman said:

O'Leary 

Moore Kalas. Mawson

Vyner.    Bakinson.  Nagy 

Williams.  Paterson 

Semenyo. Wells 

It doesn't matter because once again our tactics will be non existent and basically "go out there and do your best"

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

It's not though. Just because we lose doesn't mean someone sat on OTIB had the right formula necessarily? We don't know the ins and outs, the mood of the players, the injuries and fatigue levels, their comfort in a new position that they may have already tried on the training ground, even someone having a bad nights sleep because their kid kept them awake or they woke up feeling under the weather! Whilst it's fun/interesting to debate we simply aren't in a position to name a team from any position other than form and "on paper" ability.

Making changes to things that aren't working in a game is different, there are some seriously knowledgeable people on here who spot weaknesses that often our manager doesnt manage to see (or doesnt consider an issue) but no one can pick a team pre-match without that inside knowledge of the players IMO - it's too easy to criticise after the game that they got it wrong.

I agree with a lot of what you have written. But if we lose against a team with seemingly lesser players ( although I agree only on paper ), then whose fault is it? If we are outplayed by a lesser team, whose fault is that? Who picks the system? My first thought is always towards the players, they are the ones who cross the white line, is it individual mistakes, bad attitude, concentration lapses?  or a tactical error? & that is currently my biggest worry, I think there are silly tactical errors. I would say I’m a fairly level headed poster, consistent in my views, consistent on how I think the game should be played, consistent on my beliefs on how the club should be ran, but what I’m currently seeing worries me, it frustrates me & it feels to me that we are rudderless. I think it’s fair to say that a lot of the criticisms have not only been after a game, but when the line up is announced, along with the formation. Now you are correct when you say that we as fans don’t know what’s happening in a player’s personal life, but that for example doesn’t explain why we went 4-4-2 against Norwich or why we struggle to muster a couple of shots on target during 90 minutes. It is good fun or a good debating topic, picking Saturdays team, that’s just what fans do. We all think we could manage, but sometimes forget the complexities underneath the title of the job. Football is a game of opinions, always has been, always will be, that’s why we love it, what worries me at the moment is the only persons opinion that counts. COYR 

• Like 1

Won’t happen but:

Bentley

⬇️Hunt | Vyner | Kalas | Mawson | Harper⬇️

Williams

Paterson | Palmer

Wells | Bell

I’d perhaps more realistically swap Bell for Massengo and go 5221.

He's got to match up and go 3 at the back, they will go for our left defensive side so with Mawson at LCB and AN other at LWB we can have some sort of cover down the left..

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Won’t happen but:

Bentley

⬇️Hunt | Vyner | Kalas | Mawson | Harper⬇️

Williams

Paterson | Palmer

Wells | Bell

I’d perhaps more realistically swap Bell for Massengo and go 5221.

The only problem is we have been so week in midfield and as much as I like Palmer, I am not sure we can have another creative player with him (Paterson), as neither are hard grafters, particularly up against a prem side.

I would like to go 1 up front, would not mind Bell or Wells given a go, add Massengo, and Nagy to midfield to play with either Palmer or Paterson

You then have Bakinson / Lansbury / Semenyo to swap and freshen up.

• Like 1
On 07/02/2021 at 14:31, Simon79 said:

Bentley

Vyner              Kalas            Mawson

Nagy                                                                                                         Hunt

Williams             Lansbury

Palmer

Paterson               Wells

Sorry, but that team looks all over place and out of position 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Don’t worry, at today’s presser, DH said he was “excited” about what he had planned for the team on Wednesday! 😳

Yep. He's excited by who he has planned to play left back/left wing back. 

I would not call Hunt, Vyner, Moore or Mariappa exciting if used at left back! Can't see it being any of those.

I think he will go 352 and go Nagy or Semenyo at left wing back. At least they are both footed players with great energy and work rate.  

A less likely one would be Paterson at left wing back. But another as good as both footed player who won't be uncomfortable when it's on his left foot. But I would be less comfortable with his defensive skills than the other 2. 

He was asked about Harper playing there and going by Bristol Post he didn't say a thing about him! Would be very surprised if it's Harper.

Other possibility is maybe Nurse is back fit ready to play. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yesterday I almost posted - what about LB Bradley Webb.  Returned from Newport loan over new year.  Then I remembered he went to Gloucester City.  Just been recalled???

Interested to know why he has been recalled. 

Would be a big surprise if it's Webb that starts on Wednesday. 

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Interested to know why he has been recalled. 

Would be a big surprise if it's Webb that starts on Wednesday. 

In fairness @Lrrr thinks it might be to do with National Leagues stopping....makes sense.

Would be a remarkable couple of days if true though.

As per my twitter think Antoine will get the gig at LWB.

• Like 1

5-3-2: O’Leary; Hunt, Mariappa, Kalas, Mawson, Vyner; Williams, Bakinson, Palmer; Semenyo, Wells. 

Swap Williams for Nagy on 50, Fam for Wells on 60, Lansbury for Palmer on 60 and hope the rest get through unscathed. 

Edited by tin
23 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Don’t worry, at today’s presser, DH said he was “excited” about what he had planned for the team on Wednesday! 😳

Does DH not know that the planned shopping trip to Meadowhall is off the agenda due to COVID? Can’t see much else for them to get excited about on a freezing Wednesday in February in Sheffield, and certainly not on the pitch at Bramall Lane...

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness @Lrrr thinks it might be to do with National Leagues stopping....makes sense.

Would be a remarkable couple of days if true though.

As per my twitter think Antoine will get the gig at LWB.

Yep went there 2nd half against Cardiff. Played right wing back briefly for us too and at times been more like a wing back in where he has to defend all 2nd half when we have been hanging on. Certainly looks like he could do that role.

I thought before the Cardiff game that looking at the 11 picked, Semenyo left wing back with the very experienced Mapps, Kalas and Mawson as a back 3 would be the best way of playing. 

Only disappointing thing about Semenyo left wing back is that we then only have Fam and Wells up top as options. I would like Antoine up top with Wells ideally.

So as it is maybe just Wells up top in a wing back system.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep went there 2nd half against Cardiff. Played right wing back briefly for us too and at times been more like a wing back in where he has to defend all 2nd half when we have been hanging on. Certainly looks like he could do that role.

I thought before the Cardiff game that looking at the 11 picked, Semenyo left wing back with the very experienced Mapps, Kalas and Mawson as a back 3 would be the best way of playing. 

Only disappointing thing about Semenyo left wing back is that we then only have Fam and Wells up top as options. I would like Antoine up top with Wells ideally.

So as it is maybe just Wells up top in a wing back system.

No idea if it’s the best option, just think it’s what Holden might do to go back to 352.

Give Sam Bell a start....got serious pace.

• Like 1

Very worrying hearing him talk tonight.

Saying that the ball was only in play for 48 mins against Cardiff and hinting that was why we had no rhythm.

Them nasty buggers disrupted the natural flow of our game.

Well let's hope we get that sweet pass and move game back on Wednesday.

On 08/02/2021 at 22:33, stephenkibby. said:

Very worrying hearing him talk tonight.

Saying that the ball was only in play for 48 mins against Cardiff and hinting that was why we had no rhythm.

Them nasty buggers disrupted the natural flow of our game.

Well let's hope we get that sweet pass and move game back on Wednesday.

Problem is a weak ref like Gillet on the weekend helps teams like Cardiff more than us. No excuses but was not helped by the weak official