IGNORED

Bristol City 1 (Donowa 87) Bristol Rovers 0. Tuesday 5th March 1991. 30 Year Anniversary.

Boston Red

WOW that brought back some memories. Thanks Mate!

What a night that was!

I remember The Bountyhunter did a cracking article on this game too!

Anyone else still got the badge that was brought out to commemorate this famous win? Just had the date and 1-0 on it.?

Mine's safely tucked away in my City memorabelia box!

Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up watching that video again. Ashton Gate was a great ground IMO for football. The noise would echo around that ground when we all got behind the team. Miss it TBH. Anyway that is progress I suppose.

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

And after all that those of us from London had the problem of getting back to Temple Meads for the last train (which I recall in those days was the 10:12.) With all the shenanigans that night the match had a late finish such I recall having to bust a gut to leg it to get the train (personal best by a long way, never again to be emulated.) I managed to hold the doors for a few stragglers, plus those enterprising types who'd 'hijacked' (more like hijinxed cars) along The Cut to speed them to TM.  Until Bath Spa the carriage resembled the London Marathon finishing line. By Chippenham the carriage was Studio 54 in full flow.

Heady days.....

I was on that self same train BTR.  I have absolutely no recollection of how I got home to Edmonton: I must have done...somehow...

1 hour ago, Vespa Red said:

I was on that self same train BTR.  I have absolutely no recollection of how I got home to Edmonton: I must have done...somehow...

Likewise. I do recall those who'd somehow found time to grab beers when legging it (rather than pay top whack in the buffet,) creating what might only be described as a 'Trevi Fountain' of ale..... Some celebration that.....

7 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

30 years, wow !

That night had just about every emotion that exists.

Anger, hatred, fear, injustice, hope, joy, unbridled elation, justice.

Tears, yes TEARS, when Louie scored.

A few more years, and it will be 40 years since the Martyn Hirst FA Cup tie...yikes!

I will never forget the minutes silence and a gashead shouting "I'm glad he's f???ing dead..I could hear him as clear as day even though I was in the enclosure.

I have never felt such hatred towards an away end that night.what a superb way to shut them up though!the road was deafening when donawa scored

Just now, forbespm said:

I will never forget the minutes silence and a gashead shouting "I'm glad he's f???ing dead..I could hear him as clear as day even though I was in the enclosure.

I have never felt such hatred towards an away end that night.what a superb way to shut them up though!the road was deafening when donawa scored

Roar was deafening!!

4 hours ago, HIGHRIDGE BCFC said:

WOW that brought back some memories. Thanks Mate!

What a night that was!

I remember The Bountyhunter did a cracking article on this game too!

Anyone else still got the badge that was brought out to commemorate this famous win? Just had the date and 1-0 on it.?

Mine's safely tucked away in my City memorabelia box!

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, TomF said:

I love this, a good start for a Friday. 

Throwing in the brief YT clip with a good ol' bit of Roger included

I was in that melee at the end pinned up against the fence!  I thought Donowa had cocked it up, only for total mayhem to ensue!  Grown men dancing on the terraces!  Still to this day my most treasured football memory.  30 years though......Best open a bottle of something nice tonight!!!  

UP THE CITY!!!!

To be fair there is one signal omission from a very comprehensive report as I seem to recall that when the whistle went for the end of the minutes silence for Des Williams, Holloway, to his credit, raced over to the Open End and berated those  Gasheads who'd chanted for all his worth. I think he also laid into them post match.

I was home and away every game in those days ( in 3 seasons I missed 2 games).I was in the Park End when the ball trickled in.

A real Steve Neville moment (Hereford 86)

They really had a hoodoo over us for yrs and I watched every awful moment.

Great night.Got into the Rising Sun and had a stupid amount of Blacktorn until closing time after the game.

ftg 

ps My best man is a gas head so still can have banter with the dopey gits.Back then was hared pure and simple.

10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I probably imagined this and want it so much to be true but weren`t they singing `Will you ever beat the gas` at the moment we scored.

I so hope someone can confirm!

I wanna say Goodnight Irene. Which I thought was appropriate. 

That ranks in the top five nuthouse I’ve been in when we have scored. 

1 Martin Hirst

2 Chris Garlands second

3 Gillies equalizer

4 Christian Roberts

5 Louie Donowa. 

any other offers?

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

1 Martin Hirst

2 Chris Garlands second

3 Gillies equalizer

4 Christian Roberts

5 Louie Donowa. 

any other offers?

As someone else mentioned, Steve Neville v Hereford in the FRT.

The great thing about City in the late 80s/early 90s was the fact we were all behind the club as one.

I for one had a real romance with City through the 80s and 90s that got me in to a lot of trouble if I am being honest. But by Christ I would not change anything for the world because those memories like Louie’s goal will remain with me forever. 

It was one BIG family down AG in those days and I still meet up with a few old faces, prior to COVID down there. Miss the rapport with some old City lads more than the football TBH. Although hopeful that NP will be a master stroke played by Steve Lansdown. Fingers crossed.

Does’nt the old AG ground look great on a night game in that video.

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

To be fair there is one signal omission from a very comprehensive report as I seem to recall that when the whistle went for the end of the minutes silence for Des Williams, Holloway, to his credit, raced over to the Open End and berated those  Gasheads who'd chanted for all his worth. I think he also laid into them post match.

He also was diplomatic in his post match interview. 

And after Dean Horrix passed away just before the end of 89-90, the night we played the Gas he was running along the home end telling the scum that if he heard anyone make any comments about Dean he would sort them out himself. 

3 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Distinctly remember Twentyman turning to glare at the away end during the minute's silence as well

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

1 Martin Hirst

2 Chris Garlands second

3 Gillies equalizer

4 Christian Roberts

5 Louie Donowa. 

any other offers?

Paul Mardon at Forest in the semi final of the league cup was right up there, too.

Goater at Watford to give us the lead in the draw at their place when we both went up in 97/98.

Tinnion at Anfield too, of course.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Paul Mardon at Forest in the semi final of the league cup was right up there, too.

Goater at Watford to give us the lead in the draw at their place when we both went up in 97/98.

Tinnion at Anfield too, of course.

Looks like we are getting toward a top ten. We may have to start an insanity thread. 

Martin Hirst and Garland were the only ones I thought ffs don’t go under. I know one bloke on here broke his arm when Hirst scored.

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Looks like we are getting toward a top ten. We may have to start an insanity thread. 

Martin Hirst and Garland were the only ones I thought ffs don’t go under. I know one bloke on here broke his arm when Hirst scored.

When Mardon scored at Forest I think I got carried about thirty yards. It wasn`t until then you realised just how many of us were in the City Ground that night.

How has no one mentioned `And it`s Smith!!!!!!!!!!` yet?

10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

When Mardon scored at Forest I think I got carried about thirty yards. It wasn`t until then you realised just how many of us were in the City Ground that night.

How has no one mentioned `And it`s Smith!!!!!!!!!!` yet?

Yes that surge was quite something - a moving tide of human ecstasy ?

2 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

Yes that surge was quite something - a moving tide of human ecstasy ?

These weren't many of us when the winner went in for the Mansfield 5-4 madness, but the celebration was basically a mosh pit

Unfortunately this date, time and game coincided with the worst day of my life personally. I just can’t celebrate this milestone even though I know it’s important to our fanbase. I was at Ashton Gate for this game but that night my subconscious kept gnawing away at me to the point that I just had to leave and go home - my intuitions were correct, when I got home my worst fears were realised - totally behind everyone who loves this landmark in our history - beating the gas in a game where Holloway missed a pen?! You can’t buy comedy quite like that!! Sorry I can’t join in, but totally support everyone on here who is up for celebrating this milestone! ?

Archived