IGNORED

Twitter player views...

spudski

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I follow the majority of players and managers...often leads to other interesting posts regarding football. 

Unfortunately you also see what they like...I often think to myself, 'why the hell is this on my feed' as I don't follow this type of thing, then look, and it's more often than not something Ty has liked. ??

Spud i have know ideal about this twitter stuff. Who gives a **** about what anybody thinks or says?

I know this is the modern world (Jam)  Their was a time you gave your view in a pub, now every ****** has to tell the whole ****** world.

Thank **** i'm old.

9 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Spud i have know ideal about this twitter stuff. Who gives a **** about what anybody thinks or says?

I know this is the modern world (Jam)  Their was a time you gave your view in a pub, now every ****** has to tell the whole ****** world.

Thank **** i'm old.

You could say the same thing about a forum...which is all about what other people think. ?

Twitter is great for following news in sport or interests. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it’s a bit busy to check what players are *liking* on Twitter. You have to go out of your way to find that as it won’t necessarily show up on the timeline.

I also find it strange how many of our fans follow players families.. fiancé’s, partners etc. 

I've never checked...it just pops up on my timeline. 

It's interesting in a way, because you can rightly or wrongly start to judge a person by what they share or like and create an image of what they are all about. Which might not be necessarily true...hence maybe caution required?

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

You could say the same thing about a forum...which is all about what other people think. ?

It's interesting in a way, because you can rightly or wrongly start to judge a person by what they share or like and create an image of what they are all about. Which might not be necessarily true...hence maybe caution required?

It's obviously a tricky area and there isn't really a historical precedent as social media is growing and fans can access a players 'twitter likes' if they really want.

I think the idea of having an 'official' account that's public facing and then, if they want, a private account open to friends where they can be themselves a bit more is fairly sensible. Difficult one because part of me is uncomfortable with the notion that a player can be judged on anything they post, share or like.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I don’t tend to follow people unless they are a spokesperson or likely to say something interesting. I started following Nige but I’m going to unfollow him because it feels a bit weird and I don’t need to know his personal feelings about stuff when I can get football stuff through Bbc, Gmg, BCFC. 
I did follow KP45 on Instagram but that’s just photos of his family. 
ive got people following me on Twitter who I don’t know, and I don’t know why they bother because I don’t ever tweet anything. I do comment occasionally though.

Twitter is a bit different to FB say, because your tweet goes out to everyone. That’s why it feels a bit odd.

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don’t tend to follow people unless they are a spokesperson or likely to say something interesting. I started following Nige but I’m going to unfollow him because it feels a bit weird and I don’t need to know his personal feelings about stuff when I can get football stuff through Bbc, Gmg, BCFC. 
I did follow KP45 on Instagram but that’s just photos of his family. 
ive got people following me on Twitter who I don’t know, and I don’t know why they bother because I don’t ever tweet anything. I do comment occasionally though.

Twitter is a bit different to FB say, because your tweet goes out to everyone. That’s why it feels a bit odd.

I think Pearson is a good one to follow actually. He rarely tweets, but when he does it's usually for a good reason. 

I'd rather follow that than a 25 year old Bristol City forward who obediently posts 'We were unlucky today ? - game on Tuesday, perfect time to go again and bounce back! ⚽' as instructed by his agent. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Pearson is a good one to follow actually. He rarely tweets, but when he does it's usually for a good reason. 

I'd rather follow that than a 25 year old Bristol City forward who obediently posts 'We were unlucky today ? - game on Tuesday, perfect time to go again and bounce back! ⚽' as instructed by his agent. 

It's funny because 99% of footballers are like this. It's so boring, fans lap it up as well. 

You really do notice when footballers don't give the usual answers in an interview & that's why I always enjoy listening to ones by Deeney, Maddison & Rice etc. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I usually only see those because BCFC, BT or GmG has liked them, so related to football. I’m not interested in anything else about them.

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I usually only see those because BCFC, BT or GmG has liked them, so related to football. I’m not interested in anything else about them.

It's an interesting debate and I'll be curious to see how clubs tackle it.

For example, I saw a tweet on my timeline from Diedhiou last night - it's in French but the translation was talking about unrest/violence that's happening in Senegal at the moment. Some clubs might want a blanket ban on any players talking about serious issues such as this - it'll be interesting to see where clubs draw the line.  

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's an interesting debate and I'll be curious to see how clubs tackle it.

For example, I saw a tweet on my timeline from Diedhiou last night - it's in French but the translation was talking about unrest/violence that's happening in Senegal at the moment. Some clubs might want a blanket ban on any players talking about serious issues such as this - it'll be interesting to see where clubs draw the line.  

I saw that the other day. At least it’s pertinent to the situation, I wouldn’t have known about it unless he’d tweeted about it. It’s just bringing attention to something important. 

13 hours ago, spudski said:

...what's your view on what players like or share on Twitter? 

Say anything they like or be guarded?

Seen a few recently from the same few players that I've thought...hmmm?

The one I saw today that made me post this, was Ty liking a picture of former Prince Harry in angry mode making the shape of a gun with his hand...with the caption ' the Queen is a Pussio'...??

I've noticed he likes a lot of questionable stuff on twitter.

We all know this documentary is going to cause a shit storm... especially the racist side of it. 

Everyone is allowed their own personal views...that's democracy. 

However...am I being old fashioned in thinking it's likely to draw unwanted attention?

I'm all for free speech...but time and place... responsibilities in public eye?

Yes, everyone is allowed their own personal views, but 'having' and 'publicly sharing' are entirely different. 

People need to understand the difference between what is free speech, and language that may break the law.

Only takes a grain of intelligence. Unfortunately footballers don't always have that. 

25 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I saw that the other day. At least it’s pertinent to the situation, I wouldn’t have known about it unless he’d tweeted about it. It’s just bringing attention to something important. 

That's true and I agree. I wonder though whether some clubs will stop players tweeting on anything in politics or current affairs altogether. Will be interesting to see what precedents get set on this over the next few years. 

13 hours ago, spudski said:

He liked a tweet that said the Queen is a pussy. Attached to a pic showing Harry in an altercation drawing an imaginary gun at someone's head. So I guess anti...going by some other likes it was racist stuff re the Doc.

What's the issue here sorry? Am I missing something?

14 hours ago, spudski said:

The one I saw today that made me post this, was Ty liking a picture of former Prince Harry in angry mode making the shape of a gun with his hand...with the caption ' the Queen is a Pussio'...??

We all know this documentary is going to cause a shit storm... especially the racist side of it. 

However...am I being old fashioned in thinking it's likely to draw unwanted attention?

Sounds like Ty is basically thick. Does Zac or Taylor or Antoine like similar stuff??

Pity as he has the ingredients to become a great player but if he hasn't got it in the top 2 inches he'll flounder

15 hours ago, spudski said:

For me this is poor judgment mixed with immaturity based on pretty low intelligence

You would think that young players should be told how lucky they are to be paid for what they love doing and have their responsibilities explained.

I wonder if he gave 5 seconds thought to the impression he is creating with fans

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Yes, everyone is allowed their own personal views, but 'having' and 'publicly sharing' are entirely different. 

People need to understand the difference between what is free speech, and language that may break the law.

Only takes a grain of intelligence. Unfortunately footballers don't always have that. 

What's illegal about liking a tweet?

It’s a joke. It’s an image with a fake caption put over the top of it for comical value. Bakinson hasn’t shared it himself, he didn’t create it. He just liked it. 

7 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

For me this is poor judgment mixed with immaturity based on pretty low intelligence

You would think that young players should be told how lucky they are to be paid for what they love doing and have their responsibilities explained.

I wonder if he gave 5 seconds thought to the impression he is creating with fans

We’re going to end up creating a generation of footballers who don’t mix with fans at all, don’t have their own opinions & scared to even like anything at the risk of upsetting a few supporters. 

@spudski was quick to applaud Lyle Taylor for his condemning of the BLM movement but isn’t happy with Bakinson liking a tweet, are we now saying footballers are only allowed an opinion when it suits?

image.thumb.png.c700c3eb21840f2522e123b4b2376f41.png

For context - I had a look myself. This is the tweet being referenced. It's clear from having a look at his likes that he's pretty prolific at liking things so I wouldn't read too much into the content. He seemingly just likes lots of stuff that are topical or he finds funny. 

Ok, perhaps as a pro he should be mindful about what he's liking and how people perceive it - but I don't think there's anything too offensive in that tweet above. Just something he's found funny (which 80,000 others also do).

3 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

It’s a joke. It’s an image with a fake caption put over the top of it for comical value. Bakinson hasn’t shared it himself, he didn’t create it. He just liked it. 

We’re going to end up creating a generation of footballers who don’t mix with fans at all, don’t have their own opinions & scared to even like anything at the risk of upsetting a few supporters. 

@spudski was quick to applaud Lyle Taylor for his condemning of the BLM movement but isn’t happy with Bakinson liking a tweet, are we now saying footballers are only allowed an opinion when it suits?

I really don't see the issue here at all, it's obviously a tongue in cheek comment that as you say Bakinson didn't even create. It's not illegal to like a tweet, enjoy a joke or even dislike the monarchy, despite the impression given by some posts on here.

I hate to say it, but it does give off a 'snowflake' vibe when the toys are thrown out the pram the second a slightly Left-Wing view comes out from a player. 

13 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I really don't see the issue here at all, it's obviously a tongue in cheek comment that as you say Bakinson didn't even create. It's not illegal to like a tweet, enjoy a joke or even dislike the monarchy, despite the impression given by some posts on here.

I hate to say it, but it does give off a 'snowflake' vibe when the toys are thrown out the pram the second a slightly Left-Wing view comes out from a player. 

Exactly. I don't necessarily want to bring colour into it, but given the context - is anyone surprised that Bakinson is interacting with content that suggests sympathy with Megan Markle? Put yourself in his shoes, I can empathise with him on this. 

38 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I liked that tweet, thought it was funny.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

What I say on a forum has no credence. My point being he's a public figure that kids look up to.

He can have whatever opinion he likes...but it opens himself and the Club up to views by the public.

Whether we agree or disagree..it doesn't matter. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It's whether or not you are representative or not.

And whether the club would want to be associated with certain subjects.

Plus...I didn't say I wasn't happy with what he tweeted...I personally couldn't give a stuff what he thinks about racism and the Royals. I was just pointing out that Twitter is scrutinised and certain subjects devisive and players open themselves up to many things that as we know can easily escalate.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

image.thumb.png.c700c3eb21840f2522e123b4b2376f41.png

For context - I had a look myself. This is the tweet being referenced. It's clear from having a look at his likes that he's pretty prolific at liking things so I wouldn't read too much into the content. He seemingly just likes lots of stuff that are topical or he finds funny. 

Ok, perhaps as a pro he should be mindful about what he's liking and how people perceive it - but I don't think there's anything too offensive in that tweet above. Just something he's found funny (which 80,000 others also do).

That's the tweet I was referring too.

And yes there are loads of memes doing the rounds pro and anti royal after this documentary.

It's devisive for sure...topical. Split people's opinions etc. And we've only heard one side of the story.

Wonder if he was ever called up for England he'd stand for and sing the national anthem? 

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's the tweet I was referring too.

And yes there are loads of memes doing the rounds pro and anti royal after this documentary.

It's devisive for sure...topical. Split people's opinions etc. And we've only heard one side of the story.

Wonder if he was ever called up for England he'd stand for and sing the national anthem? 

Sorry, I still don't really see why any of this matters? I don't see how his opinion on the Royal Family has any relevance to his ability to kick a football? If it's really a problem that a player dislikes the Royal Family then I do despair.

It's not something worth getting offended over, I doubt the Royals care either way, they're (sadly) untouchable.

4 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Sorry, I still don't really see why any of this matters? I don't see how his opinion on the Royal Family has any relevance to his ability to kick a football? If it's really a problem that a player dislikes the Royal Family then I do despair.

It's not something worth getting offended over, I doubt the Royals care either way, they're (sadly) untouchable.

You seem to sadly be missing the point. It's sharing certain devisive opinions in the public domain that can open up a can of worms. I'm not offended by it...why are people unable to understand my op. It's not about having an opinion...it's whether or not it's a good idea to share your opinion publicly as a representative of a football club. That's the point. ?

Archived