IGNORED

Young Players next season...

Mr Popodopolous

Maybe too early to judge, in terms of Keep, Loan, Sell or Release but which ones should stay in and around the 1st team next year and who needs a year in League One say. As well as those whose future already it can be decided, lies elsewhere.

Also how young is young- 22 and below, 17-20? Could even Vyner and Moore be classed as youngish- some of the potential for age range is a bit arbitrary.

GK:

• O'Leary
  • Wollacott
  • Wiles-Richards

Defence:

• Vyner
  • Moore
  • Pring
  • Nurse

Midfield:

• Bakinson
  • Massengo
  • Morton
  • Opi Edwards- Released
  • Owuara Edwards
  • Pearson
  • Scott
  • Towler

Up Front:

• Bell
  • Britton
  • Conway
  • Janneh
  • Semenyo

Also if I've missed any- or wrongly classified as young those who shouldn't be categorised as that, I'll amend.

O’Leary to stay as Number 2 to Bentley. 
Pring to stay as backup to Dasilva. 
Vyner to be a utility squad piece, but certainly not a first teamer. 
Massengo to stay and probably gets another 25 games. 
Scott - keep him and develop him here. Give him 15-20 games. 
Semenyo to stay in the squad. 20 ish games. 

The rest all on loan if pos. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

O’Leary to stay as Number 2 to Bentley. 
Pring to stay as backup to Dasilva. 
Vyner to be a utility squad piece, but certainly not a first teamer. 
Massengo to stay and probably gets another 25 games. 
Scott - keep him and develop him here. Give him 15-20 games. 
Semenyo to stay in the squad. 20 ish games. 

The rest all on loan if pos. 

Pearson seems to love him. Personally think he will take a large roll in next years squad. 

Agree with much of that though think we could do worse than for Moore to stay as 4th/5th choice CB.

Opi Edwards contract may also be up from memory, but not fully sure on that- would there be much point in loaning Wollacott out too, how many games has he actually played for us. Transfermarkt says expires 2022. :dunno:

Thinking about it, we also have a year option on Robbie Cundy- and indeed we've taken it up.

Bakinson has scored some goals under Pearson too- will he be shifted on loan?

Wollacott will go, we have an option but I would be amazed if we took it up.

He’s 25 in September & has never started a single game for us, interesting Gilmartin when talking about the strength of our goalkeepers on Robins TV today referenced Bentley, O’Leary & Wiles-Richards & didn’t mention him, I think he’ll be released next week.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with much of that though think we could do worse than for Moore to stay as 4th/5th choice CB.

Opi Edwards contract may also be up from memory, but not fully sure on that- would there be much point in loaning Wollacott out too, how many games has he actually played for us. Transfermarkt says expires 2022. :dunno:

Thinking about it, we also have a year option on Robbie Cundy- and indeed we've taken it up.

Opi Edwards has been let go.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He’s 25 in September & has never started a single game for us, interesting Gilmartin when talking about the strength of our goalkeepers on Robins TV today referenced Bentley, O’Leary & Wiles-Richards & didn’t mention him, I think he’ll be released next week.

One site suggests he is 2022 but it was wrong about Powell so it maybe wrong about Wollacott too.

Wiles-Richards is the new emerging GK then?

Opi Edwards I'll cross him off the list...

Keep in the squad:

O’Leary, Vyner, Pring, Scott, HNM, Semenyo.

Sell/Release:

Wollacott, Moore 

Loan out the rest, although I could see any of Bell, Britton, Conway, Pearson and Janneh staying in and around the squad with pre seasons under their belt, especially if they keep improving. Bakinson needs a Champ/L1 promotion team loan, he lacks the consistency for me. Love Taylor Moore but I don’t see enough improvement sadly. 

On 08/05/2021 at 19:16, GrahamC said:

On 08/05/2021 at 20:15, Davefevs said:

@Mr Popodopolous

heres the u25s.

514C1BCC-BF85-4A04-BD47-7CDA63AADDC7.thumb.jpeg.5bd22f7473ed7f9146521897f90e88c8.jpeg

Waiting for contract extensions for Towler and Pearson.

Smith has been released.

Club won’t tell me length of Scott’s contract….dunno why?

Would imagine Scott’s contract to be 5 years given the impact he has made.

Part of the first team squad at 17(?), looked very comfortable on his England debut.

Expect to see a lot of him around the first team this season.

A saleable asset if ever there was one.

6 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Would imagine Scott’s contract to be 5 years given the impact he has made.

Part of the first team squad at 17(?), looked very comfortable on his England debut.

Expect to see a lot of him around the first team this season.

A saleable asset if ever there was one.

Club won’t tell me how long it is….sensitive info according to Dave Barton, although he did tell me his d.o.b.  Was announced as long-term, so that’s one thing.

Unless we recruit in his position, I see little point in loaning him out this summer.  He’s shown so much in so little time, I’d want him around, getting minutes wherever he can.  Got that swagger that you’ve either got or not.  Of course if he has a bit of a plateau then you can look at loans in January.

May as well update this as we are on Deadline Day- although it isn't over until it's over etc. Would there still be scope post today to loan some of these to clubs in lower divisions, or is that now gone?

GK:

• O'Leary
  • Wollacott Gone to Swindon
  • Wiles-Richards

Defence:

• Vyner
  • Moore  Loan to Hearts
  • Pring
  • Nurse Sold to Shrewsbury

Midfield:

• Bakinson
  • Massengo
  • Morton- Anyone know? Was linked with MK Dons a while back.
  • Opi Edwards- Released
  • Owuara Edwards Loan to Exeter
  • Pearson
  • Scott
  • Towler

Up Front:

• Bell
  • Britton
  • Conway
  • Janneh
  • Semenyo

Clearly Scott has stepped in and looks great to date, Semenyo we knew all about, Pring has been strong, Vyner good but wonder if he's the answer- O'Leary and Wiles-Richards just cover for Bentley. Massengo has come on nicely...Janneh scored 2 at Forest Green but still has little in the way of 1st team experience at this level.

Appearances for the others though- to date- are we in danger of over-relying on the clearly promising but inexperienced younger players?

In order of position- all competitions, Wiki as my source.

1. Towler- 4 apps for us.
  2. Pearson- 5 apps for us.
  3. Bell- 7 apps for us.
  4. Britton- 1 app for us.
  5. Conway- 6 apps for us.
  6. Janneh- 6 apps for us.

We're talking here about 6 players, with less than 30 appearances for us between them in all competitions (but excluding friendlies)- maybe Wiki listing means starts and doesn't include subs in which case it's just under 30 starts in total, with an average age of 19.5. More than happy to see much less 30+ in the squad but we are really taking a bit of a chance as it stands? Both in terms of the squad and potentially their development if they get thrown in too soon etc.

Cundy I didn't include in the original list and still won't as he feels more experienced than some on it, played in both the lower divisions.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had permission to train with MK, and played for them in the friendly against us, at the end of July.

However, a move fell through in early August https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-city-midfielders-transfer-league-5735280

He is currently listed in our U23s sqaud https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/under-23s-squad/

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Had permission to train with MK, and played for them in the friendly against us, at the end of July.

However, a move fell through in early August https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-city-midfielders-transfer-league-5735280

He is currently listed in our U23s sqaud https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/under-23s-squad/

Has been playing for our u23s too.

3F7A7DD7-8E16-4F15-9F5D-BA1BF1A86587.jpeg

2FBBDA95-AECB-48A4-A78C-F0A8A373D68A.jpeg

We can now add Towler on loan to Grimsby.

GK:

• O'Leary
  • Wiles-Richards

Defence:

• Vyner
  • Moore  Loan to Hearts
  • Pring

Midfield:

• Bakinson
  • Massengo
  • Opi Edwards- Released
  • Owuara Edwards Loan to Exeter
  • Pearson
  • Scott
  • Towler Loan to Grimsby

Up Front:

• Bell
  • Britton
  • Conway
  • Janneh
  • Semenyo

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We can now add Towler on loan to Grimsby.

GK:

• O'Leary
  • Wiles-Richards

Defence:

• Vyner
  • Moore  Loan to Hearts
  • Pring

Midfield:

• Bakinson
  • Massengo
  • Opi Edwards- Released
  • Owuara Edwards Loan to Exeter
  • Pearson
  • Scott
  • Towler Loan to Grimsby

Up Front:

• Bell
  • Britton
  • Conway
  • Janneh
  • Semenyo

Towler a midfielder?

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks.

Is he still in plans then? I seem to recall the MK Dons trial bit.

He was on trial with a view to a permanent move and only came back because Martin left the club. I suspect we're giving him U-23 games to help him keep fit but that he'll move on in January if someone comes in for him. 

51 minutes ago, TBW said:

Towler a midfielder?

Midfield is apparently the position he has played for the majority of his career to date and he seems to be seen as a midfielder who can cover centre back and be an emergency left back. There's just been a bit of an unusual set of circumstances in that left back is the only place he has played for us and he has been loaned out for a club who want to use him at CB. Having said that, I do wonder if the fact he's being loaned out to a club that play him at CB reflects the fact that that is where Pearson anticipates there are most likely to be opportunities next season. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

He was on trial with a view to a permanent move and only came back because Martin left the club. I suspect we're giving him U-23 games to help him keep fit but that he'll move on in January if someone comes in for him. 

Not in u23s today….can see a conference loan happening.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Midfield is apparently the position he has played for the majority of his career to date and he seems to be seen as a midfielder who can cover centre back and be an emergency left back. There's just been a bit of an unusual set of circumstances in that left back is the only place he has played for us and he has been loaned out for a club who want to use him at CB. Having said that, I do wonder if the fact he's being loaned out to a club that play him at CB reflects the fact that that is where Pearson anticipates there are most likely to be opportunities next season. 

Indeed, midfielder though school / youth….with Holden switching to a 3 at end of 19/20 season you wonder whether that was the point he started playing there are u23s moved to match 1st team system. @Lrrrcan you confirm when and why he switched to start operating at LCB?

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not in u23s today….can see a conference loan happening.

Indeed, midfielder though school / youth….with Holden switching to a 3 at end of 19/20 season you wonder whether that was the point he started playing there are u23s moved to match 1st team system. @Lrrrcan you confirm when and why he switched to start operating at LCB?

Switched as an u18, good performances would suggest

Archived