IGNORED

Semenyo

Kid in the Riot

I can see why Palace are interested, as his despite his lack of goals, he’s quick, strong & direct.

Only 21 so still plenty of time to improve, however if we can get Palace to raise the price to £4m I’d still sell, unlike Toney, the lad isn’t a goalscorer & let’s face it, for a kid from London the possibility of playing in the Prem for a London team is going to turn his head.

• Like 1

3-5m probably is about right regarding him as a player rn. However why not just hang on see if he develops more next season then potentially sell him on for maybe 3/4x times that amount.

I’m sure the players out of contract frees up a lot of wages in regards to signing others that will suit Nige’s system. Don’t need to sell surely 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I find it disappointing that after a season when he has improved so much that their are rumours we might be selling him. How does the team/squad ever improve by continuing to do this. 

See I can understand this point too. I’m really unsure on this one, especially as this season has been Semenyo’s breakthrough. 

He is bound to improve so I would be a little disappointed if he was to leave this soon.

8 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

However why not just hang on see if he develops more next season then potentially sell him on for maybe 3/4x times that amount.

Because:

1.  He may not

2. You destroy his dreams and aspirations

3. You destroy the dreams and aspirations of every other youngster in the club and every other youngster in the world will think twice or three times before signing up. 

Edited by Hxj
  • Thanks 1

Semenyo is a lottery ticket.

He is one of the very few players we have that raises the excitement levels when he gets the ball. He is young and might become something special. No one however can know that for sure. Will he deliver that potential or become, well, a bit of a Junior Bent?

Given where we are right now, I am not sure we can take that risk. A bigger club can. It all comes down to what can we get for that kind of money in this market.

For sure it might be one of those we look back on and regret if he goes. Equally, lots of unpolished diamonds stay exactly that.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We didn’t ‘all’ say the same ... it amazes me how people think they can talk on behalf of every single Bristol City fan ...

You've been a member of this forum since 2004 so I look forward to you providing the links to posts where you said Bolasie would be a £25m player after leaving us, playing for one of the biggest clubs in England.

Yours, in anticipation... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I rate Semenyo. He's a great athlete - quick, strong, and powerful. He's very direct and dangerous with the ball at his feet. I think he's probably better in front of goal than many would give him credit for (any attacking player would have struggled for goals in our team this season). Given his age and the amount of potential he has, £3m - £5m seems like a pretty low fee.

The big problem is that it's hard (for me at least) to know where the market is right now following COVID. What does £5m buy you right now? Is £5m this summer the equivalent of £10m in previous years? Frankly, I have no idea - but that makes it so difficult to get an understanding of what a "good fee" might be

You make a good point about the unknown market.  I do expect the lack of fees paid last summer and January to continue outside of the PP clubs. ⬇️⬇️⬇️

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

5m in the summer would be worth a hell of a lot considering the lack of income and the market. Yes he could easily be worth double that in 12 months time but then that 10m isn't as useful as the 3-5m would be now. 

Long story short I am clueless as to what to do. 

Could fund 5 free transfers on £20k p.w.  That will give us an advantage over some clubs we’d be competing with for the players we need to improve us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Because:

1.  He may not

2. You destroy his dreams and aspirations

3. You destroy the dreams and aspirations of every other youngster in the club and every other youngster in the world will think twice or three times before signing up. 

So we should become a club that underselling our ambition and accepts the first bit of interest...

Surely a young player will be more sold on, 'this club wants to go places, and we want you to be part of that journey. Not only will you get games and be in the shop window if you perform as we think you can, why move clubs on a 4 year deal worth 12k a week, when with a strong 6 months, you could move on a 4 year deal on 25k a week.... '

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think both clubs are in the right ball-park, he’s in that £3-5m range imho.  Few appearance based add-ons and a sell-on and I think you have to take it.

I think there are players out there that will suit Nige’s team system better.

Whos negotiating this would Ashton still be in this process? It does seem around the right figure and if we can get add-ons and a sell on it would be good business.. It's how we put that money back in the team and now hopefully Pearson can add quality if this happens.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You've been a member of this forum since 2004 so I look forward to you providing the links to posts where you said Bolasie would be a £25m player after leaving us, playing for one of the biggest clubs in England.

Yours, in anticipation... 

Have to be honest, I called Bolasie as being better than Albert. And worth more.

However, this is partly because a mutual friend of ours was less welcome at Ashton Gate at the time and never got to see him play, so I was being deliberately challenging.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just don’t let him run his contract down. Diedhiou has done it and players will take notice of that . Could scare the club into reacting earlier than they want to 

He’s too young to run his contract down, as we would get compensation provided we had offered him another, a completely different scenario to Diedhiou.

• Thanks 1

Can’t say I’d lose any sleep. Yeh, he was YPOTS,  but he didn’t exactly have any competition did he?

Lets be realistic, would he have played anywhere near as many games if we’d had a fully fit squad? Not a chance. 

Cash in. Add the mandatory sell on clause and job done. 

If we could only keep one, I’d much rather keep Liam Walsh*

*although I appreciate this isn’t a real scenario. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Have to be honest, I called Bolasie as being better than Albert. And worth more.

However, this is partly because a mutual friend of ours was less welcome at Ashton Gate at the time and never got to see him play, so I was being deliberately challenging.

True. @Kid in the RiotI can confirm Bristol Rob called it. 

I rate Semenyo and think he has potential but £5 million is a fair offer. It is a good price and there is no guarantee he will fulfil his potential. With the number of other youngsters coming through, I’d be okay with a sale. He could be the next Bolasie but he could equality be the next Ribeiro or the next Rolando Aarons...

Re Bolasie, I thought he deserved more starts and felt he’d do well at another club but certainly would never have predicted quite how well!

Edited by LondonBristolian

We’ve got to rebuild. A major rebuild. Otherwise, the future looks bleak. 

We need to act quick, weld a team together in a couple of months. Four or five positions need strengthening with incomers that can perform consistently at Championship level.

A £4 million offer early in the window would be just fine. Personally, I’d take the £3 million. 

How odd...it literally crossed my mind the other day as to who would come calling for Semenyo. 

Palace screamed at me...he is totally a Palace type player.

Semenyo literally is the biggest dilemma I've ever seen as a player for us.

He's so unatural it's confusing. 

He's big, strong, direct for his age, but has the composure of a 17 year old in front of Kylie when in front of goal. Literally watch every pass, shot or control ..tell me it isn't crisp, controlled or composed.....so, so frustrating.

Like Harry...I'd be pushing for more.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

A tough one. Part of me says negotiate 4m and run, but another says do another season with better coaching and see what happens.

Yep, know what’s you mean.  He’s one of those players isn’t he?  Raw, oodles of potential…..but what if this is him near peak?

I don’t think we are in a position to turn it down with a rebuild needed.

It could mean we can hold out on bids for Bentley for example, or go that extra yard to get another player over the line.

Bigger picture at play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

How odd...it literally crossed my mind the other day as to who would come calling for Semenyo. 

Palace screamed at me...he is totally a Palace type player.

Semenyo literally is the biggest dilemma I've ever seen as a player for us.

He's so unatural it's confusing. 

He's big, strong, direct for his age, but has the composure of a 17 year old in front of Kylie when in front of goal. Literally watch every pass, shot or control ..tell me it isn't crisp, controlled or composed.....so, so frustrating.

Like Harry...I'd be pushing for more.

Danni was more of a “keeper” for me. ???

27 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I can see why Palace are interested, as his despite his lack of goals, he’s quick, strong & direct.

Only 21 so still plenty of time to improve, however if we can get Palace to raise the price to £4m I’d still sell, unlike Toney, the lad isn’t a goalscorer & let’s face it, for a kid from London the possibility of playing in the Prem for a London team is going to turn his head.

Strange one isn't he?

That goal against Millwall in the cup, i thought "wow he has the ability to do that". Plus the 5/6 assists that he got in the first half of the season.

I didn't rate him at all, based on the evidence of the 19/20 season. But i thought i would have to reevaluate my thinking around him.

However, second half of the season (like everyone else), his overall performances were not of the same standard.

His two league goals consist of 2 x chasing down the keeper, and the ball coming off his ass. He's not a natural goalscorer, in the way that Conway and Britton have demonstrated for the under 23s, and first team.

In that case, what sort of player is he?

In the current climate £4-5m affords us the capability to get 3/4 other players in to help with the rebuild.

I have no problem with him going for that figure. But a lot will depend on how we replace him.

That will be the indication of whether we've learned from our previous mistakes; and that the new processes/talent id process is working in the way we hope it will.

• Like 4

A really interesting one to balance. We can safely say that £5m would be very welcome this summer, and as a few have pointed out, we probably don't have too many we can realistically sell for that kind of money right now.

Personally I'd lean towards selling now, banking the cash, and reinvesting. I think we've seen the dangers of frustrating players that want to move, and running down contracts in the hope of getting "one more good season" out of a player isn't something I want to become standard.

On top of that, would that represent £0 - £5m in 4 seasons for Semenyo? Some return if so, especially considering he's had a solid, but far from spectacular season.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1