IGNORED

Mature Student

Unan

5 hours ago, Banned User said:

So I've decided to go back to University this September. I don't really know what I'm asking here, but I'll be 27 by the time I start. Anybody been in a similar position with any advice?

Enjoy it. We all have our own paths in life and it’s never too late to reach a milestone.

I’m guessing you have the feeling is it now too late to go? Am I too old? 

The answer is no, 3/4 years of your life now by the time you’re 30 may enhance your career prospects hugely compared to not going at all. So, it’s an investment in yourself.

How do I know? Because I’m speaking from my own experience when I was in a similar position. Keep your head down, study hard. Reap the rewards in 3/4 time. You got this. 

18 hours ago, Banned User said:

So I've decided to go back to University this September. I don't really know what I'm asking here, but I'll be 27 by the time I start. Anybody been in a similar position with any advice?

During my 3 years of Uni I was surprised at the age range of people on my course.

Most modules had a good broad spectrum of people my age (I went from school so I was 19), middle aged students and actually a fair number of students over 50.

Obviously depends on your University and your course but I can almost guarantee you won't be the eldest student at all. Personally wouldn't consider 27 being anywhere near a mature student. 

On 24/05/2021 at 21:40, Redpool said:

Enjoy it. We all have our own paths in life and it’s never too late to reach a milestone.

I’m guessing you have the feeling is it now too late to go? Am I too old? 

The answer is no, 3/4 years of your life now by the time you’re 30 may enhance your career prospects hugely compared to not going at all. So, it’s an investment in yourself.

How do I know? Because I’m speaking from my own experience when I was in a similar position. Keep your head down, study hard. Reap the rewards in 3/4 time. You got this. 

Less so it is now too late, more so I should've done it 8 years ago. It is what it is though, it's better now than never.

On 25/05/2021 at 10:55, OneTeamInBristol said:

During my 3 years of Uni I was surprised at the age range of people on my course.

Most modules had a good broad spectrum of people my age (I went from school so I was 19), middle aged students and actually a fair number of students over 50.

Obviously depends on your University and your course but I can almost guarantee you won't be the eldest student at all. Personally wouldn't consider 27 being anywhere near a mature student. 

I'm fairly confident I won't be the oldest either, but hope that there will be a community that's accessible with people similar to my age.

I have a few questions wrote down, to ask staff at the University, if anyone has any suggestions for other questions that'd be appreciated!

How will the course be assessed?

How many students will be on the course?

What careers have recent graduates gone on to?

What sort of student support provision is in place?

How accessible are the staff, generally?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of living on or off campus?

What sports and societies are available at the university?

What job opportunities are there at university?

What grades do you need for an Access to Higher Education course, I’ve read for enrollment in September 2021 you need D:36 M:9, but if this can be clarified please – and can you still get a place if you don't quite get them?

Do you use the UCAS tariff, will you count all of my qualifications?

Is it worth applying for more than one course?

What do you look for in my application and personal statement?

How do you feel about gap years and deferred entry applications?

Is it an advantage to get my application in early?

What will the course be like? Can I talk to a careers' advisor?

What does the course cover? Again, I’ve looked at all the information provided on your site, but clarity would be ideal.

How many hours a week will I be in timetabled teaching?

How much flexibility is there?

What assessment methods are used?

How will the course make you more employable? Do they offer or arrange placements?

What proportion of students go on to postgraduate study?

Do most students stay on campus at weekends?

Can you bring a car? Is there parking available near to the university accommodation?

What's on offer here that will provide opportunities for you to develop your employability skills? Are there any connections with local employers?

Are there any jobs on campus available for students?

Are there any volunteering opportunities?

What academic support is available?

What sports and societies are available?

How do the costs actually break down? How much money will you need to survive?

What bursaries, scholarships or fee waivers are there, and how do you apply?

What are your student fees and finance options?

Lots of universities offer the subject, so why should we choose you?

How many modules are there per semester?

On 24/05/2021 at 16:20, Banned User said:

No, you'll be fine. If anything you'll benefit from it as you'll be in the right place mentally to study. Much better than I was at 18 anyway. I think I'd have got far more out of University at 27.

From memory, there were plenty of people on my course who were mature students. 

On campus there are plenty also, especially those studying masters or MBA so you won't feel out of place.

The only difference is you might not want to live with freshers. I wouldn't blame you for that - being 27 with a few years of life experience means you probably wouldn't fancy living with 18/19 year olds on their first time away from home.

Don't let social media fool you into thinking you should've achieved X or Y by a certain age. It's just social media utopia bullshit. 

16 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Are you single or with someone?

From memory mature students always did well with the opposite sex ….

Haha, I'm in a long term relationship. Maybe I'm a dirty dog, but the thought did cross my mind, not that I would ever betray her of course.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No, you'll be fine. If anything you'll benefit from it as you'll be in the right place mentally to study. Much better than I was at 18 anyway. I think I'd have got far more out of University at 27.

From memory, there were plenty of people on my course who were mature students. 

On campus there are plenty also, especially those studying masters or MBA so you won't feel out of place.

The only difference is you might not want to live with freshers. I wouldn't blame you for that - being 27 with a few years of life experience means you probably wouldn't fancy living with 18/19 year olds on their first time away from home.

I already live in London so it's highly unlikely that I'd move in to halls, I couldn't think of much worse right now!

1 minute ago, Banned User said:

Haha, I'm in a long term relationship. Maybe I'm a dirty dog, but the thought did cross my mind, not that I would ever betray her of course.

I already live in London so it's highly unlikely that I'd move in to halls, I couldn't think of much worse right now!

I think you'll have a great time then. There's never a right or a wrong time to go - it's just when you feel ready. Let's hope by then that all the covid restrictions have gone so you can make the most of it. 

When my wife did her degree, and then PGCE, there were people her own age on the courses (late teens/early 20's - we've been together a while before anyone says anything!) as well as a few mature students, some in their 30's, even 40's.

If you can afford it, and/or are in a position to do it, then go for it!

Good luck buddy!

8 hours ago, Leveller said:

Blimey. Imagine being 27 and thinking you’re too old!

It's a very unfortunate by-product of social media. It's reinforced this idea that you must have achieved X or Y by a certain age otherwise it's too late. I imagine this probably came into @Banned User's thinking in this thread given his age and inevitable exposure to social media. 

Archived