IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 hours ago, 22A said:

Can’t seem to quote your original post since you edited it ... but I thought we threw the term ‘Gasheads’ at them as term of abuse rather than ‘the Gasworks Team’ as your post says? You then say they adopted ‘The Gasworks Team’ but shortened it to ‘The Gas’ to describe their club ... my recollections are very different - we called them ‘Gasheads’ relentlessly until they decided to call themselves the same term - I cannot recall us throwing ‘The Gasworks Team’ at them as a term of abuse - I could be wrong though ... ??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, myol'man said:

Have the travelling hordes left for Carlisle yet? 

Most football fans in the north of England have Bristol Rovers as their second favourite team didn't you know? With no Prem or Champ matches going on they'll all be flooding to Cumbria to cheer on the Gas. Their away support could be doubled from 125 to 250!

6 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Most football fans in the north of England have Bristol Rovers as their second favourite team didn't you know? With no Prem or Champ matches going on they'll all be flooding to Cumbria to cheer on the Gas. Their away support could be doubled from 125 to 250!

I just hope there`s no trouble when all the visiting hordes from Newcastle meet the huge following from Sunderland.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I just hope there`s no trouble when all the visiting hordes from Newcastle meet the huge following from Sunderland.

There won't be.

The Fewers are like the Wyld Stallions in the Bill and Ted films. With then being everyone's favourite second team, they will bring world peace.

They just need to work on their manager first.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Did enjoy the ‘fantastic, it was embarrassment’ reply.

Yeah because the rest of the ground is tip top. 

Acknowledgement in the thread too that Bristol Energy paid for it, an absolute disgrace that public funds from a company that cost Bristol council tax payers a fortune were spent in that way.

I wonder why?

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Can’t seem to quote your original post since you edited it ... but I thought we threw the term ‘Gasheads’ at them as term of abuse rather than ‘the Gasworks Team’ as your post says? You then say they adopted ‘The Gasworks Team’ but shortened it to ‘The Gas’ to describe their club ... my recollections are very different - we called them ‘Gasheads’ relentlessly until they decided to call themselves the same term - I cannot recall us throwing ‘The Gasworks Team’ at them as a term of abuse - I could be wrong though ... ??

You are dead right, we started called them gas heads from about ‘84 onwards as an insult, in typical gas fashion it is now a term of endearment that’s been knocking about since the 50’s, there was no such thing as “gas heads” when we were insulting them pre ‘84 and neither will you find any documentation anywhere calling themselves that.       As Danny Baker said, pathological liars is what they are 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Actually, I suspect it may have been both.

I recall many years ago when I was a young schoolboy and an avid reader of the wonderful comics, Dandy and Beano, there was a regular article called The Bashstreet Kids.

Now, it may have been in a different article, but I am pretty sure there was either a local football team or, perhaps, just a rival gang called The Gasworks Team, and I well recall teasing Rovers fans in the playground about being The Gasworks Team - we would have been 8 or 9 years old at the time, so certainly not starting or leading any terrace chants.

The Gasheads would have been several years later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, harrys said:

You are dead right, we started called them gas heads from about ‘84 onwards as an insult, in typical gas fashion it is now a term of endearment that’s been knocking about since the 50’s, there was no such thing as “gas heads” when we were insulting them pre ‘84 and neither will you find any documentation anywhere calling themselves that.       As Danny Baker said, pathological liars is what they are 

I can't remember when the term gasheads arose (so I'm not taking issue with your assertion) but I remember that the chant "the gas, the gas, we gotta get rid of the gas" maybe a bit earlier? Certainly from around 1980/81 gas insults were thrown at them. I remember this because Clive Middlemass's son (Doug) was in my year at Ashton Park whilst CM was assistant manager to Terry Cooper at Rovers. Whenever he got near Doug, my mate used to make an escaping gas sound and say "What's that smell? Ah, it's gas ..." then insult DM some more. That was whilst we were in lower school which we were in Sept 79 - June 81. Doug must have been relived when TC/CM switched to City. But I'm sure my mate then just blamed him for poor City results.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Gashead term came from the Eastville days. It referred to their hordes stood in the ground shoulder to shoulder as the gas swept across from the gas works leaving their heads stinking of gas. I worked at Fishponds and the bus I caught stopped near a pub on Stapleton road. On match days, you could tell if those getting on the bus had been to the game, because of the smell of gas. That's why they got the name. City used to wind them with the gas head term. They adopted it from us. That was before City were promoted back to the Top division. So early 70's.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, fatchers said:

The Gashead term came from the Eastville days. It referred to their hordes stood in the ground shoulder to shoulder as the gas swept across from the gas works leaving their heads stinking of gas. I worked at Fishponds and the bus I caught stopped near a pub on Stapleton road. On match days, you could tell if those getting on the bus had been to the game, because of the smell of gas. That's why they got the name. City used to wind them with the gas head term. They adopted it from us. That was before City were promoted back to the Top division. So early 70's.

This is what I thought, at least early 70s. I`ve been supporting City since 1973 and have never known them not being referred to as the g*s,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Well, at B&Q Longwell Green ,I saw a couple of quartered cretins, cutting it fine, I would say ?

I'd have covered the Wanchors in Rustic Brown Shed Stain, then whacked them with some Log Roll.

• Haha 1

On 21/03/2022 at 15:05, petehinton said:

Think they’re getting really carried away personally. Still got Bradford, Tranmere, Salford, Port Vale and FGR still to play. Even Carlisle who are in great form atm under Paul Simpson. Could look very silly if they don’t make it, with all this “gas are coming” shite the CEO posts after every game recently. 

Well well ?

• Thanks 1