IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 hours ago, harrys said:

Was a good day, won 3-1 after being 1 down at ht, plane times were perfect as well

Was over 1300, great day out, cracking third from Bradley Orr. Remember seeing Leader under the stand saying that a lot had flown into Newcastle. Anyone remember Jasper sitting on the roof of that jeep with a City flag as it pulled into the pub car park ??

2 hours ago, WessexPest said:

It does get exasperating going over the same old ground again and again. The scum constantly cherry pick away attendances of ours (e.g. Barnsley the other week) as evidence we have a crap support, but it gives a distorted view - if you average out our away followings versus theirs ours is better. @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahanhas laid out the stats to back this up several times.

Now, they will say they have a higher percentage who go away but to me all that signifies is how abysmal their home support is. For a team on an annoyingly decent run there have been a lot of gates beginning with a 7 this season. ?

Still. I quite like the fact that despite being light years behind you on and off the pitch, we still annoy the **** out of you :)

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

Was over 1300, great day out, cracking third from Bradley Orr. Remember seeing Leader under the stand saying that a lot had flown into Newcastle. Anyone remember Jasper sitting on the roof of that jeep with a City flag as it pulled into the pub car park ??

Most of passengers on the plane we’re City fans, I remember Jamie McCombe making one of the best saving tackles I’ve ever seen

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Still. I quite like the fact that despite being light years behind you on and off the pitch, we still annoy the **** out of you :)

Come on Miah, we’ve had a truly woeful three years of non-entertainment, it’s not that you annoy us with your lies and over-exaggerations it’s more a case of just having something to amuse ourselves with and keep us going but in fairness you do give us so much ammunition, btw what’s your opinion now of your wife-beating manager now he’s got you to the dizzy heights of sixth?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, harrys said:

Come on Miah, we’ve had a truly woeful three years of non-entertainment, it’s not that you annoy us with your lies and over-exaggerations it’s more a case of just having something to amuse ourselves with and keep us going but in fairness you do give us so much ammunition, btw what’s your opinion now of your wife-beating manager now he’s got you to the dizzy heights of sixth?

Well I'm glad we can be of help then :)

Someone else asked me the same question about Barton, so if you can be arsed to scroll back a bit, you can see my opinion on him :)

Anyway, just to amuse you a little further , I was in Paris for the rugby last weekend and would you believe it , I spotted someone someone on the Metro wearing 'da famous quarterz' , I couldn't contain my excitement and tried to get a pic to show that The Gas now have an international following when I realised it was, in fact. some kind of cycling top. Bloody Frenchies, who supports a cycling team FFS!

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well I'm glad we can be of help then :)

Someone else asked me the same question about Barton, so if you can be arsed to scroll back a bit, you can see my opinion on him :)

Anyway, just to amuse you a little further , I was in Paris for the rugby last weekend and would you believe it , I spotted someone someone on the Metro wearing 'da famous quarterz' , I couldn't contain my excitement and tried to get a pic to show that The Gas now have an international following when I realised it was, in fact. some kind of cycling top. Bloody Frenchies, who supports a cycling team FFS!

Nothing more tedious than scrawling through past posts so I’ll give it a miss, plenty of Rovers flags in the Windies for the cricket I noticed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, harrys said:

Nothing more tedious than scrawling through past posts so I’ll give it a miss, plenty of Rovers flags in the Windies for the cricket I noticed

Nick Higgs takes them out in a spare suitcase and hands them to the locals.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Nick Higgs takes them out in a spare suitcase and hands them to the locals.

Actually I think it has more to do with Jason Roberts, City are despised by the locals in Grenada after the way they treated Roberts and when he went onto to greater success with Rovers , The Gas became every Grenadian's second favourite team..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CiderJar said:

We used to sing "The gas, the gas, we've got to get rid of the gas" because of the stench from the gasworks at Eastville, and they decided it was a compliment.

First heard in a Gloucester cup match at AG in 1983. There was a crowd of 13,000 but a very high ratio of lads and, the emotion from the previous years struggles produced a noise from that chant that has stayed with me forever.

1 hour ago, Wealwayseatcheese said:

Think it might of been me on the roof that day with the flag ,got a feeling Jasper was in the front pasenger seat. what a mint day though .

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

First heard in a Gloucester cup match at AG in 1983. There was a crowd of 13,000 but a very high ratio of lads and, the emotion from the previous years struggles produced a noise from that chant that has stayed with me forever.

I'm pretty sure that chant was around in the 70s. We used to sing 'the Gas, The Gas, You'll never get rid of The Gas' in reply,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Actually I think it has more to do with Jason Roberts, City are despised by the locals in Grenada after the way they treated Roberts and when he went onto to greater success with Rovers , The Gas became every Grenadian's second favourite team..

**** me, we must have upset a lot of people over the years, being as nearly everyone has Roverz as their favourite team. Well, according to the habitual liars that's the case.

Strange how Roberts came here on a months loan (I think), and from what I remember, threw his toys out of the pram because John Ward dropped him, he only managed 3 appearances. At the time, he wasn't good enough or consistent enough for us as we mounted our promotion challenge. But was good enough for you and the third tier until, you never matched his ambitions and he handed in a transfer request. I think he had a bit of an ego issue.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

**** me, we must have upset a lot of people over the years, being as nearly everyone has Roverz as their favourite team. Well, according to the habitual liars that's the case.

Strange how Roberts came here on a months loan (I think), and from what I remember, threw his toys out of the pram because John Ward dropped him, he only managed 3 appearances. At the time, he wasn't good enough or consistent enough for us as we mounted our promotion challenge. But was good enough for you and the third tier until, you never matched his ambitions and he handed in a transfer request. I think he had a bit of an ego issue.

:)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

Wasn’t it something to do with him wanting to play an international??

Just now, Miah Dennehy said:

No, definitely heard it on the Tote when I stood there and I moved to the North Stand enclosure in the very early 80s.

I think I got mixed up from our 1982 demise and our 1980 demise, they merge into one. It must have been the 1981 Gloucester cup match just after our relegation from the top flight, I know it was at AG.

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

Got my year wrong, twas 1981, just after relegation.

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, something along those lines and, JW didn't play him in the league match, so he got upset. Understandable in one respect but not to react as he did. I think we had him on loan and if he'd have gone to play for Grenada, he'd have missed games for us in a months loan/trial.

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

21 minutes ago, italian dave said:

He was on loan until the end of the season, came on sub in his first game, then started the second (& scored) then he told John Ward he wasn’t available for the next one because he was playing for Grenada in a friendly.

Ward (who hardly struck me as the fiery type) told him if he did, we would cancel the loan, so we did.

Rather than treating Roberts badly, the fact of the matter was he behaved like a *****, we had no knowledge that he was going to pull this stunt when we borrowed him.

We still went up that season anyway, but no thanks to him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrys said:

That's probably the flags they hand out at T Meads to anyone that is playing us or their Geordie fan club.