IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

37 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

No way Miah, I went everywhere in that era and it was deffo early 80's the "gas" thing came about .

Sorry, don't agree. I can remember several games at Eastville in the 70's when the gas works thing near the ground used to rise and fall. It was on one of those days that the term 'gas head' was first used towards our not so esteemed rivals.

Edited by Sir Geoff
extra text

7 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

So would the 59 Geordies have bought their tickets from the BRFC site or pay on the day. If it's through the website then Rovers only sold 600 if it's pay on the day that would make 700 in that photo?

No idea - I'm not one of those who forensically investigates attendance figures. 

10 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

You're right but two weeks previous we took 900+ to Exeter on a Tuesday night 

9 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Whoop de do - stick a gold star on your attendance chart! 

Now, now you two. Play nice when you visit :punish: :boxing: :laughcont:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Still. I quite like the fact that despite being light years behind you on and off the pitch, we still annoy the **** out of you :)

It’ll be worth the irritation when it all goes Pete Tong for the Gash in the crucial run-in.

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Actually I think it has more to do with Jason Roberts, City are despised by the locals in Grenada after the way they treated Roberts and when he went onto to greater success with Rovers , The Gas became every Grenadian's second favourite team..

Yep, but Jason is a Londoner ... given his legendary performances for everyone’s second fave team perhaps he should have been selected for England ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

Regarding The Gas thing, we obviously all have differing memories on it, we're all knocking on a bit! It certainly came to prominence in the 80s and it wasn't really embraced by Rovers fans till Twerton days, but I guess we will never know for sure. 

My wife used to work in a garage in W-O-T before we married (which was 1988) and Harold Jarman used to go in there, so I got her to get him to sign a programme and write 'F*** the Gas' on it and he had never heard of the term! I never saw him play so I think he stopped in 72 or 73 but you would have thought he may have been aware of it. So maybe that  backs up those who claim it didnt come about till the 80s. 

47 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Regarding The Gas thing, we obviously all have differing memories on it, we're all knocking on a bit! It certainly came to prominence in the 80s and it wasn't really embraced by Rovers fans till Twerton days, but I guess we will never know for sure. 

My wife used to work in a garage in W-O-T before we married (which was 1988) and Harold Jarman used to go in there, so I got her to get him to sign a programme and write '**** the Gas' on it and he had never heard of the term! I never saw him play so I think he stopped in 72 or 73 but you would have thought he may have been aware of it. So maybe that  backs up those who claim it didnt come about till the 80s. 

Fair play Miah, but you must remember when Miah Dennehy was flying down the wing for you in the late 70’s if you were shouting ‘F*** the Gas” or not

15 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Anyway, just to amuse you a little further , I was in Paris for the rugby last weekend and would you believe it , I spotted someone someone on the Metro wearing 'da famous quarterz' , I couldn't contain my excitement and tried to get a pic to show that The Gas now have an international following when I realised it was, in fact some kind of cycling top   a mirror.

Corrected.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

They've all gone gooey on slagchat with the news that Mr & Mrs Barton are expecting their fourth child.

That'll help his pending court case then. 

Not that I'm being cynical or suggesting anything mind you......

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Still. I quite like the fact that despite being light years behind you on and off the pitch, we still annoy the **** out of you :)

Au contraire.......You celebrate 'Coming For Us' and then drop a bollock of some kind. It's bloody hilarious. When we then take the richly deserved piss Gasheads are nowhere to be found. All gone back to hide and lick wounds until they win a game and then they all crawl out from under their stones and start giving it the biggun again and hence the cycle continues. That's why you are the gift that KEEPS ON giving. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

They've all gone gooey on slagchat with the news that Mr & Mrs Barton are expecting their fourth child.

Do you see Swindon Town as some sort of stepping stone to your ultimate goal of being a City fan?

3 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Au contraire.......You celebrate 'Coming For Us' and then drop a bollock of some kind. It's bloody hilarious. When we then take the richly deserved piss Gasheads are nowhere to be found. All gone back to hide and lick wounds until they win a game and then they all crawl out from under their stones and start giving it the biggun again and hence the cycle continues. That's why you are the gift that KEEPS ON giving. :)

Oscar Wilde has nothing on you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4