IGNORED

Stoke City at home match-day thread

Right, we've got the foundations now. An 11 (plus a few subs) that play with heart and determination. They don't take any shit and give as good as they get.

We've got a long way to go in terms of skill but we can clearly see we have a team out there and that we've got something to work with.

The two young lads, Scott and Benarous, are like two new signings at this stage of the season.

COD has upped his game and it's great to see us play with real width at last.

This set up should get us through to Jan with some decent points now and with the right signings we can push on.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I honest to god once had a centre back pull on my pubes at a corner, I think they can handle a little hair pulling above the shoulders. 

Brilliant - not the response I expected! Hand down the shorts or just really long pubes hanging out the shorts?! ?

7 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

I’m going for lots of steps backwards so far this season, but slightly more forward, given the circumstances. Starting to get a tune out of players I’ll confess to having written off (Eg O’Dowda and Vyner) and introducing some exciting youngsters.

Just look at the line up and formation and it makes no sense at all and yet Nige has sprinkled some magic dust and it works!

• Like 2

Gotta be result - if not performance - of the season. And that’s no criticism at all, all the lads battled like warriors today. Credit rightly going to COD, Bakinson and the youngsters today but have to shout out all of the back 3, and Atkinson when he came on. Kalas was brilliant after he was cruelly punished for one error on Saturday.

Crap rambling post but in a nutshell, good defending and COYRRRRRR

• Like 1
1 hour ago, red colin said:

... oh was Weimann playing disappeared again. 

You know that geezer Nigel Pearson, our manager? He was the one who spent a whole Sunday at Jamie Vardy’s house persuading him to sign for Leicester City instead of Blackburn Rovers - this was when Jamie Vardy was pretty unknown with a non league background.

Then Nigel Pearson signed Riyad Mahrez for £450,000 - both Vardy and Mahrez were instrumental in Leicester City winning the premier league and Mahrez was subsequently sold to Man City for £50 million ... yep this is the same Nigel Pearson who picks Andi Weimann for every game - what do you know that Nigel Pearson doesn’t?

Because Nigel seems to rate him ...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

Yep. And bitter as hell.

Apparently "the worst side they've played since being relegated" to "Brizzle win the world cup" after our celebration

Loved their song "you're just a shit Bristol Rovers" and right on cue, we score.  

Poetic justice.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

Well I thought I’d better stick my head up over the parapet!

I thought we were by far the better side up to the goal - and yes, being done by a long throw is really annoying!

After that we really didn’t get going again and as the game went on your players seemed to grow in confidence and belief. If Romaine Sawyers had half of that we might have done a bit better!

I thought we should have had a pen for your defender climbing all over Ostigard and the challenge on Vrancic could easily have been a straight red. Your penalty shout for handball in the first half was at the other end of the ground so no idea on that one. Allen's red was thoroughly deserved.

A minimum of 9 minutes added time but we only played 7?

Overall a typical championship game that on another day we could have won comfortably but that's football. Hopefully we get a bit of revenge at our place.

Good luck for the rest of the season ?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

After a worrying opening to the game we grew into it. The effort put in by the players was superb. 

There seem to be some green shoots. 4 points out of 6 at home, great determination from the players, a clean sheet and performances that have more shape about them. We have also shown we can hold out for a 1-0 home win  

We still need to be much better at retaining the ball. 

Small steps and three very welcome points. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DownendStokie said:

I thought we were by far the better side up to the goal - and yes, being done by a long throw is really annoying!

After that we really didn’t get going again and as the game went on your players seemed to grow in confidence and belief. If Romaine Sawyers had half of that we might have done a bit better!

I thought we should have had a pen for your defender climbing all over Ostigard and the challenge on Vrancic could easily have been a straight red. Your penalty shout for handball in the first half was at the other end of the ground so no idea on that one. Allen's red was thoroughly deserved.

Overall a typical championship game that on another day we could have won comfortably but that's football. Hopefully we get a bit of revenge at our place.

Fair points, but you have to understand that we have been truly shocking for ages, and we are really only just starting to see some real positives.

To us, tonight felt like something was finally starting to click as regards fight and commitment.

Good luck for the rest of the season to you too.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Great 3 points but that match was awful. On another day we would have lost that easily. They should have had a pen and Scott should probably have been sent off.

Just hope getting the win just helps to boost the confidence and get us playing some better stuff and that was dire to watch I’m afraid

Stfu u tosspot 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry I don't have time to read the whole thread, but this is the first time I've lost my voice in a long time.  The atmosphere in the last 15 mins was tremendous and I've got lost my voice from singing so much.

we were definitely second best for the first half an hour, then produced an excellent spell for 15 mins.  Under the cosh a bit in the 2nd half though, but we did have our moments.

Scott was amazing in a position that I would not have expected him to have excelled in and Benarus had a decent game too. I've always felt that COD would make a decent wingback as pure wingers don't seem to offer enough from a consistency perspective.  He had a very good game in my view.

Chris Martin is just too old and too slow though.  Even though his goal scoring isn't so great, I do think the extra height, pace, strength and effort Antoine brings would be more suited to that position.

Just revelling now from a home victory and a belief that we might have something going now to give us an opportunity to push up the table.

I do hope we can do something in the January window to help turn us into a team that can push for the playoffs, though there are a few points to make up.

First game in a long time that I can honestly say I really enjoyed.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Interested to know which bit was clueless 

Firstly where are we going to raise funds to purchase there players in January? Pearson has come out and stated the financial position of the club , I don’t know how  people expect us to get these players?

Talking about team spirit under Pearson, two weeks ago talk of Pearson leaving as can’t motivate the players 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DownendStokie said:

Fair play for sticking head above parapet.

I watched on TV. For the first 15 minutes I could only see one result - a battering. Then we scored and got better but without ever establishing parity of possession (this has been the case against EVERYONE for the entire calendar year, btw - looking like the away team on our home ground).

You display commendable self-awareness not to bleat about conceding from a long throw. Fair play again. Otherwise the name Rory Delap would be stuffed back at you. Or indeed the 2 most despised words in the English language, esp around here - Tiny Penis. Or, as we say, welsh gAss untc.

Massengo's rugby tackle of Ostigard probably was a pen. But only out here in forumland - they're never given by actual referees, in actual games, in actual real life. So, no dice. Next week, one of yours will do exactly the same and it won't be given either.

Ostigard's handball when blocking a cross in the first half was never a penalty, despite our crowd's howls of protest - exactly what a home crowd should do: get on top of the referee and opposition and bend them to your will if possible.

The foul on Vrancic was a yellow - our boy was off his feet but not out of control, not reckless and not studs up. Exactly the same as the yellow for our player in the first minute. The referee was remarkably consistent on this throughout the game, to both sides. Remarkably lenient, in actual fact, given the current state of refereeing. He actually allowed a game of football to develop. He let plenty of contact go unpunished, was unfussy, wasn't card happy. Apparently, tonight was the first red card he's shown all season - and he thought long and hard about giving Allen that 2nd Yellow. He didn't really want to because he knew it meant a Red but then decided, correctly, that he had to be consistent and show the 2nd Yellow , based on the other Yellows he'd already shown for exactly the same type of foul.

Fact of the matter is, Allen's cynical trip for his 1st Yellow was borderline Red anyway - and that was in the 1st half, O'Dowda was clean through, so you should have been playing the 2nd half with 10 men. Yes, our man was on half way and out wide but there was no covering defence and he would still have had the  time and space to collect the ball and head straight for goal with no-one in sight - i.e. Allen stopped a clear goal scoring opportunity. Imo. Just because it was on half way don't mean shite -  we were countering and you had no covering defence.

It was the only thing the ref got wrong all night. Apart from blowing up at 8 mins and 37 seconds - not quite the 9 added minutes advertised but longer than the 7 minutes you've quoted. Who knows what you might have conjured up with 10 men in the missing 23 seconds?? 

But no doubt, repeat the same performances at your place and I'm certain you'll have your "revenge". As you say, that's football. 

Enjoy the rest of the season, after too long you have a good team, rather than a collection of overpaid individuals, and an excellent mamager. You'll probably do what we've done in recent times - be in contention, then snatch 10th place from the jaws of the play-offs. Still, that's progress, for you. For us, this season is all about staying up. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1