IGNORED

Pearson’s Not Happy!

JP Hampton

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This is a really interesting quote from JL

Nigel's had a few of his own health issues as well through that so we're still growing that relationship

A year in and they’re still ‘growing’ a relationship. That doesn’t bode well to me.  I appreciate JL may have been less ‘hands on’ recently partly due to covid, but that suggests (as many of us suspected) that Pearson isn’t the sort of personality the Lansdowns like really. 

As mentioned elsewhere, SO’D and Cotterill were both long in the tooth and straight talking. Both had tough remits and clearly locked horns with the Lansdowns who don’t enjoy heading home truths it seems. The club gave enormous backing to Johnson (who seemed happy to play their game) and then the inexplicable appointment of Holden. It’s obvious what sort of manager they prefer.

I don’t rate Jon or value his point of view on football. He’s terrible at giving interviews too and clearly has an ego (remember his pettiness about the three lions flag a few years ago?). Unfortunately though, if Pearson gets on the Lansdowns’ bad side there’ll only be one winner.

Once again it’s that familiar situation of proven and experienced football man having a different point of view from the owners. 

Having re-read the stuff last night, that was probably the strangest / most unnecessary comment to make imho.  Especially when Jon is known for not being around much himself.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So what has now changed? However you interpret Nige's recent comments towards his employers or their accuracy- "he isnt going to slag him off is he" is precisely what he has now done albeit in not quite so vernacular terms.

The point I was making is that at the time he left it was not appropriate / professional to comment like that.  But when you cut through the detail of a £38.4m loss published, it starts to become “fair game”….especially if you’ve just heard a bit of a gloss over from the Chairman and a bit of stick re your own performance.

50 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Cotterill's interviews at the end of his tenure oozed frustration with those above him. He wanted to move the club forward but way too quickly for the Lansdown's liking. Instead they have subjected us to a "death by 1000 cuts" FFP shambles.............."oh but how could they predict Covid would happen?", 91 other clubs in the same boat and my guess is that Millwall, Luton, Brentford and Preston didn't lose £38m last season.

They actually have a Manager who is prepared to work within the constraints of the shambles they have created and he isn't good enough for them apparently. All I can say is ******* best of luck when Michael Appleton or equivalent rocks up next......................that said I could easily imagine Steve getting on the phone to LJ, that will shift the season tickets!!  

My understanding (rumours, speculation) was that Ashton wanted Appleton, as did the rest of the board….but SL overruled them all.  SL chooses the managers / head coaches, not anybody else.  That’s not to say JL / MA didn’t run the process for Holden’s appointment, but SL will have made the choice.

20 minutes ago, cityfan1958 said:

I think Mr Gould may prove to be a key figure. It may be that he may have to be a peace maker. Longer term it may be his view on Pearson that decides how long he is here, in that, if he gets what Pearson is doing and sees him as the best man for the job, he may need to be buffer between the two. 
What I can’t understand about the owners is that they overseen these finical resets before, which usually results in a relegation, but don’t seem to grasp the fact that we need to get away from this constant boom and bust cycle to make any sort of progress. 

I hope so.  I heard that Nige had wanted Adrian Bevington as CEO, but I think Gould is doing the job I’d want from a CEO.  If we do bring in a HoR, that will complete the set-up nicely.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

We all make mistakes in business and football is no different. Nobody can deny that they have made errors in judgement and i'm sure Steve Lansdown would be the first to admit it but sometimes i think we have to be careful what we wish for

SL doesn't make mistakes. It's his club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Having re-read the stuff last night, that was probably the strangest / most unnecessary comment to make imho.  Especially when Jon is known for not being around much himself.

Agreed. JL is very poor at interviews so it's probably best he's as cautious as possible when speaking to the press. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope so.  I heard that Nige had wanted Adrian Bevington as CEO, but I think Gould is doing the job I’d want from a CEO.  If we do bring in a HoR, that will complete the set-up nicely.

That's interesting. I am undecided about Gould. I thought he was pretty terrible on SotC a couple of months ago and I'm concerned he's very much a Lansdown man. Early days though so giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's interesting. I am undecided about Gould. I thought he was pretty terrible on SotC a couple of months ago and I'm concerned he's very much a Lansdown man. Early days though so giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

I don't think there's any doubt about the highlighted bit above, at all.

He's the owner's mouth piece, just a more acceptable one to our ears than his predecessor. 

Good piece by James Piercy on BristolLive

@VT05763 read this and thought of you ??

“But in the context of that red meat in the water, Pearson may soon need a bigger boat because 12 wins from 48 games isn’t the mightiest of vessels, irrespective of all the context and nuance he so understandably raises in assessing his time at the club.”

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-jon-lansdown-bristol-6678947

Edited by 054123
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My understanding (rumours, speculation) was that Ashton wanted Appleton, as did the rest of the board….but SL overruled them all.  SL chooses the managers / head coaches, not anybody else.  That’s not to say JL / MA didn’t run the process for Holden’s appointment, but SL will have made the choice.

39 minutes ago, cityfan1958 said:

I seem to remember MA claimed he suggested LJ to SL as head coach, but I think that was when LJ was still golden boy :whistle:

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So why was DW so surprised to receive a phone call telling him that he was sacked?

I wouldn’t be surprised if SL regrets that decision even after all these years.

You seem to have missed my phrase self serving. He's hardly going to say he failed (having already said he hadn't) and deserved to be sacked.

I doubt Steve regrets it given GJ subsequently won promotion. And let's not forget one of the first things Steve told GJ to do was sort out the culture Wilson had enabled.

Still, you have your view of Wilson as a success so by all means stick to it regardless.

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

“But in the context of that red meat in the water, Pearson may soon need a bigger boat because 12 wins from 48 games isn’t the mightiest of vessels, irrespective of all the context and nuance he so understandably raises in assessing his time at the club.”

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-jon-lansdown-bristol-6678947

Tis a brilliant article and I urge everyone to read it, regardless of their thoughts on Bristol Post.  For those on iPad / iPhone just switch to “reader view” for a cleaner / ad-free read.

12 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I seem to remember MA claimed he suggested LJ to SL as head coach, but I think that was when LJ was still golden boy :whistle:

I recall that and although I can’t remember word for word, it was almost like “SL brought up LJ and I got right behind him and he then became our first choice”.  I interpreted this to be “SL wanted him, I wanted Appleton, but I then had to kiss ass and make it feel like he was also my choice too”! ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spike said:

All of the comments aside I think if Pearson does leave /get sacked the next manager appointment could actually be the biggest factor in many fans future of attending/ supporting the club. 

I can't remember the last time we were not getting results but I wanted the manager to stay. For me Pearson is one of the first managers we've had in my lifetime willing to fix issues within the club rather than skirting around them in order not to rock the boat. The only other manager I can think of that I liked and did rock the boat was Cotterill and he did the double and upon the first opportunity to sack him he was gone. 

If Pearson goes I can no longer accept that the owner and Co want the best for this club. For me that would be a clear sign that what they want is to be able to say they know best, when it's clear to say when it comes to football that they do not. 

My thoughts exactly on the matter.

Jon Lansdown is as tone deaf as they come though, you only have to listen to his interviews to work that out. As much as he thinks he is a ‘fan’ in my humble opinion he couldn’t be more out of touch with the South Bristol public.

Just like his father he has the same trait of not knowing what to say at the correct time and majorly putting his foot in matters. I cringe every single time Steve Lansdown does an interview these days - you literally don’t know what’s going to come out of his mouth and Jon is turning out to be exactly like his father.

As i said on another thread he shouldn’t be anywhere near the job of chairman, yes maybe stick have him on the board if needs be just so he feels a part of it but chairman? No chance.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You seem to have missed my phrase self serving. He's hardly going to say he failed (having already said he hadn't) and deserved to be sacked.

I doubt Steve regrets it given GJ subsequently won promotion. And let's not forget one of the first things Steve told GJ to do was sort out the culture Wilson had enabled.

Still, you have your view of Wilson as a success so by all means stick to it regardless.

I never said that DW was a success - how could I claim that?      :dunno: 

What I did say was that imo DW served up the most entertaining and enjoyable football for decades and I’ve not seen anything since to change my opinion.

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

My question would be - why would anyone trust what MA says? I strongly suspect this is how it went down:

1. SL tells MA to add LJ's name to the shortlist of candidates for new manager

2. Reading the room correctly, MA understands LJ is SL's preferred choice

3. So MA interviews LJ 

4. Amazingly, MA pronounces LJ the standout candidate and MA has no hesitation in recommending him to SL as the new manager (knowing full well SL wanted LJ all along and would have over-ruled him anyway even if MA had been daft enough to propose an alternative candidate (Appleton) - but MA isn't that daft, he knows what's good for his own position)

5. SL appoints LJ    

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Very good read. Impressed with James Piercy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

My question would be - why would anyone trust what MA says? I strongly suspect this is how it went down:

1. SL tells MA to add LJ's name to the shortlist of candidates for new manager

2. Reading the room correctly, MA understands LJ is SL's preferred choice

3. So MA interviews LJ 

4. Amazingly, MA pronounces LJ the standout candidate and MA has no hesitation in recommending him to SL as the new manager (knowing full well SL wanted LJ all along and would have over-ruled him anyway even if MA had been daft enough to propose an alternative candidate (Appleton) - but MA isn't that daft, he knows what's good for his own position)

5. SL appoints LJ    

That’s one possibility but I suspect that SL told Smarmy Ashton to recruit LJ rather than the other way around.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Why thank you.

1 minute ago, Will Rollason said:

The pre match video , the version I saw on you tube, has been edited to remove 14 minutes of content... 

It could also be at Pearson's request too, there may not necessarily be any conspiracy. Perhaps they decided that they didn't want comments being blown out of proportion or read into too much. A bit of damage limitation. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The point I was making is that at the time he left it was not appropriate / professional to comment like that.  But when you cut through the detail of a £38.4m loss published, it starts to become “fair game”….especially if you’ve just heard a bit of a gloss over from the Chairman and a bit of stick re your own performance.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I agree on this, Dave. My point was and still remains that there has been a shift in what has become "fair game".

My opinion remains that neither Nige nor Jon should have said what they said without providing a degree of context without which it is guaranteed to have stoked debate in the media and amongst fans- the wrong sort of debate.

However in regard to NP who has clearly done some good and also accepted a poison chalice, I think that he may be making a thumping great rod for his own back. I find it irksome that he is so abrasive towards certain players and the Bakinson debacle was breathtaking in its delivery. Irrespective of what the player said/did/deserved- NP should have just kept it professional and spun the departure- after all, he's a player that he'll want to sell and publicly shaming him ( however completely justified) was a big error of judgement,imo. Every penny is going to count come the summer.

I dont think it would be unreasonable for Jon to make a comment sometime soon which diffuses any perceived possible spat and allows everyone ( including the players who will not be oblivious to this issue) to focus on what the real issue is: improvement and being mathematically safe.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I agree on this, Dave. My point was and still remains that there has been a shift in what has become "fair game".

My opinion remains that neither Nige nor Jon should have said what they said without providing a degree of context without which it is guaranteed to have stoked debate in the media and amongst fans- the wrong sort of debate.

However in regard to NP who has clearly done some good and also accepted a poison chalice, I think that he may be making a thumping great rod for his own back. I find it irksome that he is so abrasive towards certain players and the Bakinson debacle was breathtaking in its delivery. Irrespective of what the player said/did/deserved- NP should have just kept it professional and spun the departure- after all, he's a player that he'll want to sell and publicly shaming him ( however completely justified) was a big error of judgement,imo. Every penny is going to count come the summer.

I dont think it would be unreasonable for Jon to make a comment sometime soon which diffuses any perceived possible spat and allows everyone ( including the players who will not be oblivious to this issue) to focus on what the real issue is: improvement and being mathematically safe.

That's an interesting take, and a good discussion point I think.

My impression was that lots of fans appreciated that approach. We've felt like we've had too many "passengers" as players for years, and many appreciated the candidness about how that was handled. 

I don't think it was a big error of judgement necessarily as I don't think we'll make much on Bakinson regardless and perhaps was worth it in terms of setting expectations for the squad. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

My initial reaction, too. Think we might be blowing this out of proportion on here.

Certainly hope so, anyway.

Pearson's "bonkers" comment seemed light hearted and throwaway rather than a deliberate, provocative rebuke of his employer - he might be straight talking but he isn't looking to get sacked!

And I agree with you about the Chairman - I think his comments about us under-performing might have been him speaking as a fan (he is one too!) and expressing, perhaps badly, his exasperation at the leads we've squandered and the goals we've conceded late on, without which we'd be much higher in the table. An exasperation we all share - including the manager.

Fingers crossed it's that, anyway. Would be madness to lose such a highly qualified manager whose professional attributes are just what we need right now, even if his personality sometimes rubs people up the wrong way.

The BCFC family + Nigel Pearson both have so much to gain by making this journey together work. If we hit bumps in the road along the way, we need to smooth them over, not throw our toys out the pram - the prize at the end, for both, is too great for that.    

I think you may be right. When I first read the story, it smacked to me of someone pissed off like any fan that we have conceded too many results which would have put us further up the table. No more, no less.

If I had to be a bit more cynical then it was in part to put over a bit of populist fan frustration and a PR quote to keep onside with the fans, particularly with the problem of season ticket renewals having to be soon.

It’s probably somewhere between both. Bit of a misinterpreted off script gaff, that was possibly a clumsy deflection from the mistakes that have to eventually stop at the owners, decision makers and recruiters at the top. Ultimately, judged on results the project in its many many incarnations has failed. This is not a nice thing for people who have built their reputation on success to easily take.

However, there is no doubt that fans will start to question the decision making, wasteful recruitment and ultimate failure of management regimes to live up to the ultimate sales pitch of getting to the Prem. And not even making the play-offs when we have surrendered good positions to do so. Particularly in 17/18, 18/19 and 19/20 when we fell away badly, despite appearing to have better investment in being able to recruit and real votes of confidence for the management at these times. Didn’t LJ, I think in his final weeks of his tenure here, cryptically mention about people knowing the full story of behind the scenes, but wait till his book came out? Or something along those lines.

I have always had this feeling that NP may be the O’Driscoll of this era, coming in to discover a bigger shit storm than they thought, beginning to do the clear out, knowing what should be done, telling quite a few home truths to the owners, but ultimately not the person who will have the benefit of managing in a better financial climate for the club. 

Trouble is, Mark Ashton should have been that character. The Lansdowns appeared to trust him and no doubt his tenure has left the club in a backward trajectory. I would be amazed if the owners don’t see this, however painful, and ultimately they have to take responsibility for this.

I love Bristol City and supporting them. But it can be painful because let‘s be honest here, historically results and performance wise we are so bang average. Won’t stop me from supporting them, too late to change now! But would just like to see our club reach the top level again by having a realistic plan and the conviction to stick to it.

I hope this perceived spat is nothing more than misunderstandings and they can both stay on the same page with a real plan and sense of reality for rebuilding this club, preferably in the Championship. It might just give us the chance of a few more brighter days to come.

• Like 7

So, Jon Lansdown has made a throwaway comment regarding how we could be performing better in the league, something that Pearson has alluded to himself in regard to results, Pearson then feels the need to comment on the situation and suddenly it’s a feeding frenzy for how the heroic and visionary manager is biting back against the clueless owners.

You know, just so I’m understanding where we are and all that..

With a few little concerns I am essentially fully behind Pearson and the rebuild job he is doing here. He is clearly working under difficult circumstances and is, for me, doing a good {enough} job. But, to both him and others jumping on the bandwagon, steady..

As that James Piercy piece illustrates he isn’t and shouldn’t be operating from a position of strength. This situation, in my opinion, is almost entirely of Pearson’s making. Wry smile, ‘He’s the chairman, he’s entitled to his opinion, but I’d rather discuss those things face to face than in-front of a camera’. End of story.

Whether or not he is right in what he is saying that does not mean he has dealt with the situation appropriately. The next time he speaks he should qualify his words (which really isn’t difficult, just make reference to ‘the previous regime’ or ‘looking at different ways to operate’ etc) and draw a line under the whole thing.

Whether or not the Lansdown family are clueless in regard to running a football club you cannot openly criticise your employers in such a manner, especially in response to what seems a generic, gee up the troops, response, and not expect to be pulled up on it.

Id be very disappointed if he was to go but if I was the owner he’d be in my office ASAP.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4