IGNORED

SL and new Suburb

Ivorguy

41 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

2. He is not quite the Great Benefactor some City fans believe him to be, he is an entrepreneur seeking to maximise profit for himself.

Well bugger me!

No way? 

He’s not Michael Carroll pissing away his fortune for the ‘lolz’....

Obviously he wants to make money, I’m slightly shocked that anyone would think otherwise.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Well bugger me!

No way? 

He’s not Michael Carroll pissing away his fortune for the ‘lolz’....

Obviously he wants to make money, I’m slightly shocked that anyone would think otherwise.

Please read my entire piece to see that I also have no problems with entrepreneurs making profit.

No problem in you taking opposite view to mine, but please criticise what I have said and not what you think I said

Many thanks.

• Admin
54 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The news that SL wishes to build a new suburb around Ashton Gate clarifies two things, imo

1.  City are a very small part of SL’s long term plan

2. He is not quite the Great Benefactor some City fans believe him to be, he is an entrepreneur seeking to maximise profit for himself.

I don’t have any objection to that as an aim, but I do have an objection that his imperial dream has never been open, and City fans being used as dupes.  First we got BS and now this new plan.  Perhaps we might now be told the ultimate end game? A rebranding of Bristol into Lansdown City perhaps!

Not surprised by this, not sure there is much to be made out of the AG8 site anymore

Ground and training facilities are not really Premier league standard so any investment on that side is going to be very unlikely 

Fair play to him looking to better the area and his wealth, nothing wrong with that

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Please read my entire piece to see that I also have no problems with entrepreneurs making profit.

No problem in you taking opposite view to mine, but please criticise what I have said and not what you think I said

Many thanks.

59 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I don’t have any objection to that as an aim, but I do have an objection that his imperial dream has never been open, and City fans being used as dupes. 

This is what you said.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

The news that SL wishes to build a new suburb around Ashton Gate clarifies two things, imo

I don’t have any objection to that as an aim, but I do have an objection that his imperial dream has never been open, and City fans being used as dupes.  First we got BS and now this new plan.  Perhaps we might now be told the ultimate end game? A rebranding of Bristol into Lansdown City perhaps!

How are the fans being used as dupes?

Surely if he really wanted to build houses there all along to make money he could have just bought the land, built the houses by now, and never even mentioned it in the same breath as the club or anything about it to the fans?

It's not like he asked us to fund the purchase, or used money from the club to buy it. I'm confused how pretending to build a stadium there was of any benefit to him at all, it only seems to have wasted a lot of time and money (there's opportunity cost behind having an unused asset like that don't forget).

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Odd isn't it that the councils kick up a fuss and try to block everything Steve tries to do, whether it is building a stadium or a housing estate whereas if you want to turn a fruit market into a stadium, that's no problem Sir.

TBF, I don’t recall it being the council who blocked the stadium? They gave it consent.

And they haven’t given consent for a stadium at the fruit market, have they?

• Like 2

Fans used as dupes?? Explain how

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Fans used as dupes?? Explain how

I can’t speak for the OP but...it would appear that the very notion of Steve Lansdown hoping to see a return on his sizeable investment one day is news to many City fans who clearly think self made Billionaires get to where they are by aimlessly spunking money up the wall for no apparent reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I can’t speak for the OP but...it would appear that the very notion of Steve Lansdown hoping to see a return on his sizeable investment one day is news to many City fans who clearly think self made Billionaires get to where they are by aimlessly spunking money up the wall for no apparent reason.

Also worth bearing in mind that, wherever he’s made his money from, he’s spent a significant proportion of it on Bristol City over the years. 

• Like 2

1. City have been a part of SL’s ‘plan’ for over 20 years and remains part of his ‘interests’ built up over the years. He has no doubt made some ‘odd’ footballing decisions during his tenure and although he has stated he is looking for investors, he continues to invest and prop up bcfc. 

2. SL has always stated his intention to make BCFC sustainable and to stand on its own two feet and as admirable a vision that is, it hasn’t as yet worked out that way. Suffice to say the lansdowns have still pumped literally 100’s of millions into the bcfc venture over the years, players, stadium revamp, academy, training ground etc. He was never going to maximise profit out of a football club, especially BCFC, so yes, he is an entrepreneur, a fairly good one too, who is looking to make a profit……hence why he has to go out and invest in other schemes such as the Ashton gate arena and housing in Ashton vale 

nobody has been duped….I really don’t see your point other than clearly a dislike for SL

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He’s a self made billionaire who has the wealth and prestige to add to his legacy - I really do wish that some would stop criticising the guy. His heart is in the place and I certainly don’t have any problem him using his wealth to improve the lot of all of us. It’s a magnanimous gesture imo.

TBF arguably, it was Peter Hargreaves that made him a billionaire rather than him being self made and he is using the money for development which will primarily benefit himself rather than pay it to the tax man.

Can't argue about the fact that he has done an incredible amount for BCFC though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

TBF arguably, it was Peter Hargreaves that made him a billionaire rather than him being self made and he is using the money for development which will primarily benefit himself rather than pay it to the tax man.

Can't argue about the fact that he has done an incredible amount for BCFC though.

I’m no massive supporter of SL, (very grateful for his investment though, compare & contrast Ashton Gate before & after) but this is a really strange take on events, isn’t it?

Do you honestly think Steve Lansdown played no role at all in the success of Hargreaves Lansdown? 

That Peter Hargreaves, who politically is just slightly to the left of Gengis Khan, simply indulged some idiot partner?

Steve Lansdown is a billionaire because he (along with Hargreaves) was ******* clever in building up a financial services company into one of the biggest ones going, not because Peter Hargreaves is some kindly soul.

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I don’t know who did what when SL and PH set up their business, to me it’s irrelevant. The point is that SL is a self made billionaire as is Peter Hargreaves. 

SL moved to Guernsey for the tax breaks and when he was asked by a Points West journo how much British tax he’d paid he said “about £50m”………..:cool2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Many thanks.

Yet your view of all things Lansdown has been disparaging long before he wanted to build houses- you have been anti Lansdown on here for years.

Many thanks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Is any of this not bollocks? 

No, I have read it 3 times and its definitely bollocks from word one to the last word in the post.

He is developing these areas as well as what he is doing for the club through the devopment of the stadium, training facilities and the plans for the indoor arena, not instead of.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

No one is 'self made'. 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Eh? This has been in the public realm for at least 3 years and debated on here, in that time, quite extensively. 

Slow Friday?

• Like 3

SL is often criticised for alleged mistakes and acts of stupidity, usually with the benefit of hindsight.  But this may be the biggest load of b****ocks I've seen posted about him.  No-one seeking to make money should go anywhere near an EFL football team.  The only way to make a small fortune from EFL teams is to start with a large one

• Like 3

• Admin
2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I genuinely have no knowledge on this and can only assume that you do, but how is it the Peter Hargreaves made him a billionaire?