IGNORED

World Cup Draw

phantom

• Admin

I never realised that all the grounds are so close together. 

Just listening to talk sport they were saying you could in theory go to three games in a day as they are so close together 

Can imagine that will be a nightmare for all the supporters to stay nearby 

Screenshot_20220328-174203_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

• Admin

Something different this time around apart from the opening game which Qatar will be playing at 10am on 21st November. 

All other group fixture times will be dictated by the TV companies showing the coverage, obviously British TV companies won't be showing any of the home nations at 10am

The kick off times in GMT will be 

10am

4pm

7pm

• Admin

The 32 teams that have qualified for the World Cup are divided into four pots of eight teams.

Teams are drawn from each pot and allocated into eight groups. Pot 1 is emptied first, followed by Pot 2, then Pot 3 and finally Pot 4.

The procedure will see a ball drawn from the team pot and then allocated one of eight groups, from A to H.

Draw constraints

A number of constraints are observed in the draw. They are:

As hosts, Qatar are represented by a different colour ball and are allocated to the position A1.

The remaining seven top seeds are then drawn as the primary teams in groups B to H.FIFA's general principle is to have only one team from each qualification zone in a single group.

This means that Brazil cannot be paired with Ecuador, for example.

However, the principle does not apply to UEFA teams.

Each group must have at least one, but not more than two UEFA teams.

With 13 places reserved for European teams, this means five out of the eight groups will have two teams from that continent.

Intercontinental play-off pairings: AFC team vs CONMEBOL team and CONCACAF team vs OFC teamWorld Cup 2022 group stage draw seeding

There are four seeding categories based on the FIFA ranking that is published on March 31, 2022.

Pot 1 features the hosts Qatar plus the seven highest-ranked qualified teams. 

Pot 2 is populated by the next eight highest-ranked qualifiers

Pot 3 includes the next eight best-ranked qualified teams after that. 

Pot 4 includes the next five highest-ranked qualified teams along with placeholders for the two intercontinental play-off winners and the last UEFA play-off winner.

The following table will be updated on March 31, following confirmation of the FIFA ranking.

Screenshot_20220328-175622_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220328-175625_Samsung Internet.jpg

• The title was changed to QATAR World Cup 2022 draw - this Friday
15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just listening to talk sport they were saying you could in theory go to three games in a day as they are so close together 

When you look at a map of Qatar as a whole you can see why they’re close. Qatar is made up of Doha and a bit of desert and that’s it.

Tho whole thing is madness. I’m all for spreading the word but the population is smaller than Wales and a bit bigger than Northern Ireland, it’s hardly going to change the face of football if 10% of Qataris decide they like football.

The many other, more valid reasons why it shouldn’t be there have been covered elsewhere.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Super said:

Why is draw being made when qualifying places haven't been decided?

I assume it will go down like this Wales/Scotland/Ukraine. But it is bizarre, why can't they just wait until June to do it when it will be clear who has qualified.

• Admin
24 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I assume it will go down like this Wales/Scotland/Ukraine. But it is bizarre, why can't they just wait until June to do it when it will be clear who has qualified.

I can only assume every one else needs to start sorting logistics of hotels etc etc 

18 hours ago, phantom said:

what are they going to do with the stadiums after the tournament?

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

what are they going to do with the stadiums after the tournament?

Apparently they will be downsized with the bits removed being sent to impoverished third world regions to build new stadiums and cultivate a passion for the sport.

I understand Wally Al Qaeda has already put an application in for the prowed fewers.....

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

The World Cup draw is always in December, 6 months before the tournament, therefore it’s no different this year. The draw should have been made in December 2021 if it were a summer tournament. It’s Panini I feel sorry for… their window for printing stickers and albums is much smaller than in previous years. 

46 minutes ago, clunes said:

The World Cup draw is always in December, 6 months before the tournament, therefore it’s no different this year. The draw should have been made in December 2021 if it were a summer tournament. It’s Panini I feel sorry for… their window for printing stickers and albums is much smaller than in previous years. 

How so? The draw is being done further away from the tournament than before....

• Admin
28 minutes ago, Super said:

I'm guessing the games will be played at a reasonable time for us to watch? They 5 hours in front?

On 28/03/2022 at 17:51, phantom said:

Something different this time around apart from the opening game which Qatar will be playing at 10am on 21st November. 

All other group fixture times will be dictated by the TV companies showing the coverage, obviously British TV companies won't be showing any of the home nations at 10am

The kick off times in GMT will be 

10am

4pm

7pm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

I don't think there are any logistics with this one. The furthest stadium distance is 42 miles shortest is 2.5 miles 

It's more to allow all the commercial stuff to be sorted out.  corporate tickets and schedule for TV.  Expect the 7pm group games (our time) to be England, France, Germany, Spain, Brazil etc.  Likes of Japan and South Korea will play earlier. Kind of makes sense if you want to maximise TV audiences. No point we play at 10 am our time on a Tuesday in November whilst Japan play at 2am the next day is there?  

56 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Can we do it on a cold night in Al Bayt though? 

Is there such a thing as a cold night there?

BTW, what is lively to happen with the final UEFA place? I can't see Ukraine playing a football match, or being that bothered, for some time, god bless her.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

It's more to allow all the commercial stuff to be sorted out.  corporate tickets and schedule for TV.  Expect the 7pm group games (our time) to be England, France, Germany, Spain, Brazil etc.  Likes of Japan and South Korea will play earlier. Kind of makes sense if you want to maximise TV audiences. No point we play at 10 am our time on a Tuesday in November whilst Japan play at 2am the next day is there?  

It'll be interesting to see how it's sorted out if we get drawn in a group with Japan then!

Edited by Steve Watts

• Admin

POT 1

Qatar

Belgium

Brazil

France

Argentina

England

Spain

Portugal

POT 2