IGNORED

World Cup Draw

phantom

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A potential home nations clash, depending on one of them winning the playoffs.

Looks a reasonable group though, quite straightfotward. Iran under Queiroz quite difficult ie well organised opponents in last two WCs but he's gone.

Not seen the other groups yet, any eye-catching ties?! 

Germany v Spain probably the pick.

• Thanks 1

Oh yes, E-H definitely looks harder. Although as well as France obviously, Argentina, Denmark, Holland and Poland can all pose challenges. Mexico too although they're a last 16 side mostly.

Surely a side to name a few with Mendy, Koulibaly, Mane, Sarr shouldn't be taken lightly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Southgate has done a very decent job since he took over. Reached the Euro final only to lose on penalties.

I accept that he rarely plays attractive football but he’s been getting the results despite that. I fancy England to go deep in the tournament - could even win it.

Well the time of the year should mean that players will be peak fitness rather than the normal summer world cup.

Looking forward to the big lgbtq+ parade that England will be doing against Iran.... While playing in Qatar.... Get the rainbow armbands and flags out that game. 

Homosexuality is illegal and can carry the death penalty in both countries. 

I've boycotted the qualifiers and I'll be boycotting the tournament too. Even if we make the final. Won't watch it. Disgusting they're still going ahead but it shows that zero tolerance towards any forms of discrimination they've been spouting doesn't apply to them. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Looking forward to the big lgbtq+ parade that England will be doing against Iran.... While playing in Qatar.... Get the rainbow armbands and flags out that game. 

Homosexuality is illegal and can carry the death penalty in both countries. 

I've boycotted the qualifiers and I'll be boycotting the tournament too. Even if we make the final. Won't watch it. Disgusting they're still going ahead but it shows that zero tolerance towards any forms of discrimination they've been spouting doesn't apply to them. 

Ah, but don’t you see that it’s only us nasty, imperialist western countries that have to do that - not to tolerate intolerance in the rest of the world is doubly intolerant. ?

• Like 1

It's a decent group for England.

Rather play Iran first than USA or potential WAL/SCO game.

Should be able to get out of that group. Knockout stages are  anyones guess but i dont think any side will fancy facing England in the same way we would prefer to avoid France etc.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

As I understand it if England and France win their groups then win their last 16 games they would meet in the quarters.

Lots of ifs and buts 

One thing we do know, a tournament never pans out as expected 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Someone said England get easy draws? 

A02DB4A9-7BB4-48F1-9DDF-C34926EF6E8C.jpeg

But what makes a group 'hard' or 'easy' is actually how much better you are compared to your opponents. So really you need to take the ranking of the top team in each group, and compare it to the average of the other 3. The smallest gap would show the 'hardest' group. You should probably also consider the difference between the highest and lowest ranked team in each group.

PS. As if Iran are the 21st best team in the world. FFS these rankings honestly.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

Lots of ifs and buts 

One thing we do know, a tournament never pans out as expected 

Precisely - in 2018 on paper we would have predicted meeting the Germans in the last eight as they were surely nailed on to win Group F. They finished last…

• Like 1

World rankings are a load of guff. France are probably the pick, but England have as good a chance as anybody. I hope the Ukraine qualify for our group. Not for political reasons, but to avoid being dragged into a dour game against the Scots or the Welsh. As ever in recent times, Southgate will probably prove to be our undoing. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Crackers Corner said:

Well the time of the year should mean that players will be peak fitness rather than the normal summer world cup.

Or will be far enough into the season for injuries to take their toll. It seems injuries are more common now than they used to be.

Really interesting group I think, don't know much about Iran but they won their qualifying group and gave Portugal and Spain tough games in the last world cup, also its very close to Qatar on a map so for the first game it's going to be a challenge. USA we should beat but traditionally have done very poorly against them in world cups so hoping that record can be changed. Then the last game personally I am really up for a Scotland or Wales game to hopefully win the group and knock them out the tournament (don't think Ukraine will beat both of them away), will be tough playing a home nation but exciting and pressure in a good way I hope. A good chance the games will be tight and cagey affairs but all 4 teams will feel they can get through that group and a winnable last 16 tie.