IGNORED

Realistically- who then?

ohhhshauntaylor

Not having a go at anybody here, but I always dislike the automatic response of some to any Pearson criticism that is "well who would you pick?" like we have to have a detailed succession plan before we can criticise him.

I was so excited when he was appointed. Despite a few promising spells, I don't think he is the right man, acknowledging the constraints he is working within. Yes, lots of other managers would have achieved similar results to him here. Some would have done better, that i'm sure of.

But this is the really disappointing bit.... I genuinely don't think anybody could have done any worse than him. Without the Derby and Reading points discounts it would really be brown trousers time.

Pearson can't organise them, or motivate them. The problem is, I have zero confidence that if we sacked him, we'd find the right replacement. And I don't have any suggestions. Of course I don't. Few of us do. Most of us thought he'd be our savior!

It's worrying times, i genuinely fear for us next season. Hope I'm being overly pessimistic, and I'd be so happy if it works out with Pearson, but I have zero confidence any more, and that's a real shame.

Edited by DolmanGaz
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Martin and Dasilva???? FFS

Do you genuinely not rate DaSilva? Probably one of the best technical crossers of the ball by a mile, great at keeping possession in tight spaces, we could have far worse. 

Martin isn't a choice I'd have but I think it's fair to say he'll be starting next season regardless.

• Like 2

Michael Duff would have to be the outstanding candidate from the lower leagues. Either the lowest or 2nd lowest budget in L1. I think Crewe might be lower but they already got relegated. It would be a gamble but Ryan Lowe has done well at Preston after making a similar step up from L2 to L1 and then moving to the Championship, so it could work. 

Not sure it would be a great move for Duff though sadly. We could destroy his career in one season! 

The guy at Wigan has done a great job after inheriting a disaster area but they're odds on to come up anyway

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Michael Duff would have to be the outstanding candidate from the lower leagues. Either the lowest or 2nd lowest budget in L1. I think Crewe might be lower but they already got relegated. It would be a gamble but Ryan Lowe has done well at Preston after making a similar step up from L2 to L1 and then moving to the Championship, so it could work. 

Not sure it would be a great move for Duff though sadly. We could destroy his career in one season! 

The guy at Wigan has done a great job after inheriting a disaster area but they're odds on to come up anyway

Managers record at other clubs means nothing. As I posted earlier - appointing any manager is always a lottery. No one guarantees success. 

53 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But a crap defender 

I have to disagree, I mean his qualities are definitely in going forward but he can defend in a flat back 4, we've seen him do it years ago and do it effectively. If you think he's crap then just look at Vyner as a right back and maybe you'll appreciate just how good DaSilva is. Having DaSilva as a left back in a flat 4 won't cost us games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I have to disagree, I mean his qualities are definitely in going forward but he can defend in a flat back 4, we've seen him do it years ago and do it effectively. If you think he's crap then just look at Vyner as a right back and maybe you'll appreciate just how good DaSilva is. Having DaSilva as a left back in a flat 4 won't cost us games. 

Sorry totally disagree, he has never been any good as a defender and is worse since his injury. He is good going forward and can retain the ball which seems to win favour with fans who are then willing to turn a blind eye to the reason why he is on the pitch, but would not get in any team as a winger. Firstly he is just too small as a defender and consistently beaten in the air, his positional sense when defending is awful, drifts back inside leaving people unmarked, would much rather have Pring who is a much better defender and still developing. I  hope we can get rid of the Chelsea trio!