IGNORED

Can't wait for Mike Bassetts post match.

Waconda

3 minutes ago, Street red said:

Pearson knows how to get a club out the league the people above him don't. He's spot on in his interview he said they can sack me but the new man will still have the same problem. Bang on!!

That is an assumption and a self preservation tactic.

Oh he didn't disappoint.

Superb.

Only heard the interview on the OS. NPs reference to ‘personalities’ was interesting, the implication being too many of our current players don’t have the right personality - whatever that comprises of. My guess would be he means we need personalities with qualities including determination, ruthlessness, leadership and a winning mentality. Which if correct means the often used ‘we are too nice’ label fits. 

He also said something along the lines of ‘quality isn’t the issue.’ As much as I’m a NP supporter and want him to turn this mess around I would not agree with him on quality not being an issue, we have lacked quality both individually and collectively for a long time IMO.

Which gets me to what does he do this summer given all the variables?

(1) off load anybody who doesn’t have the right personality as assessed by NP e.g. Palmer and others

(2) bring in players with the ‘right personality’ I suspect he saw King, Simpson and James as the start of this 

(3) where possible / viable (given financial constraints) improve on the individual / collective quality which is consistent with his frequent comments about only looking to improve on what we have, and not bringing in players for the sake of it

However, he faces the prospect of losing some of our better players,  that seems increasingly likely to me, which will weaken the quality of an already poor squad.

When I think back to the players LJ was allowed to collect it really does make me wonder! We are certainly in a right old mess and I remain 100% with NP being the man able to make a positive difference, but this is work that will take several years.  Appreciate, as always, that others will hold different perspectives. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You do know he took over a club with good players and saw them relegated and appointed Steve Bruce,if that’s what you want then wow 

I agree that Steve Lansdown has no Premier League relegations on his CV..............chance would be a fine thing. Ashley also appointed Rafa Benitez and pissed the Championship and his "crime" was t run the club on a fairly sound financial footing. Whereas we have been run as a total basket case, something Nige literally took the piss out of as it happens, and seem to be turning the corner now it's almost too late. Like I said give the bloke £150m to spend and we would have had a season or three in the Premier League.

Perhaps you might explain what Steve's billions are doing for us off the back of three of the most dull seasons of football I've ever seen......is that what I wanted? Wow.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Only heard the interview on the OS. NPs reference to ‘personalities’ was interesting, the implication being too many of our current players don’t have the right personality - whatever that comprises of. My guess would be he means we need personalities with qualities including determination, ruthlessness, leadership and a winning mentality. Which if correct means the often used ‘we are too nice’ label fits. 

He also said something along the lines of ‘quality isn’t the issue.’ As much as I’m a NP supporter and want him to turn this mess around I would not agree with him on quality not being an issue, we have lacked quality both individually and collectively for a long time IMO.

Which gets me to what does he do this summer given all the variables?

(1) off load anybody who doesn’t have the right personality as assessed by NP e.g. Palmer and others

(2) bring in players with the ‘right personality’ I suspect he saw King, Simpson and James as the start of this 

(3) where possible / viable (given financial constraints) improve on the individual / collective quality which is consistent with his frequent comments about only looking to improve on what we have, and not bringing in players for the sake of it

However, he faces the prospect of losing some of our better players,  that seems increasingly likely to me, which will weaken the quality of an already poor squad.

When I think back to the players LJ was allowed to collect it really does make me wonder! We are certainly in a right old mess and I remain 100% with NP being the man able to make a positive difference, but this is work that will take several years.  Appreciate, as always, that others will hold different perspectives. 

Just heard Jay post match, he used the word ‘quality’ loads of times in the context of it lacking, “The main thing for us today was the lack of quality and making wrong decisions in the final third."

• Like 1

Just now, Jerseybean said:

Just heard Jay post match, he used the word ‘quality’ loads of times in the context of it lacking, “The main thing for us today was the lack of quality and making wrong decisions in the final third."

I said it in another thread, we were literally 90 minutes of poor decision after poor decision today.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

All the managers are carp?

If you are correct then you have to ask who keeps on appointing crap Managers? It all boils down to the same person taking responsibility for the mess we are in. The bloke calling the shots does not have the first clue in how to get this football club moving in the right direction on a sustained basis. Once in every 10 years we get a good season the rest of it is just mundane bollocks and over the last three years the football has been so bad that many people don't even attend for the football anymore, it's more of a social for many.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I agree that Steve Lansdown has no Premier League relegations on his CV..............chance would be a fine thing. Ashley also appointed Rafa Benitez and pissed the Championship and his "crime" was t run the club on a fairly sound financial footing. Whereas we have been run as a total basket case, something Nige literally took the piss out of as it happens, and seem to be turning the corner now it's almost too late. Like I said give the bloke £150m to spend and we would have had a season or three in the Premier League.

Perhaps you might explain what Steve's billions are doing for us off the back of three of the most dull seasons of football I've ever seen......is that what I wanted? Wow.

Where is this 150 million coming from out of interest,Ashley had premier league payoffs when he bought the club so 150 mill was a ship in the ocean when getting them promoted again,Lansdown wasn’t fortunate enough to buy this  club when we were in the premiership,he bought us when we were shit and we are still shit but the Ashley comparison is wrong 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Where is this 150 million coming from out of interest,Ashley had premier league payoffs when he bought the club so 150 mill was a ship in the ocean when getting them promoted again,Lansdown wasn’t fortunate enough to buy this  club when we were in the premiership,he bought us when we were shit and we are still shit but the Ashley comparison is wrong 

You are being too literal tbh. My point is that had Ashley had Steve Lansdown's means and invested the same amount of money we would have been a Premier League club at some point long before now. In fact I would go as far to say that with the current owner running things we will never ger near it, save for a one in ten year fluke season that we had with GJ, because we aren't ran properly. Our financial plan has been proven to be nuts and now we have a number of years of paying the price to look forward to for the gross incompetence of a financial wizard.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You are being too literal tbh. My point is that had Ashley had Steve Lansdown's means and invested the same amount of money we would have been a Premier League club at some point long before now. In fact I would go as far to say that with the current owner running things we will never ger near it, save for a one in ten year fluke season that we had with GJ, because we aren't ran properly. Our financial plan has been proven to be nuts and now we have a number of years of paying the price to look forward to for the gross incompetence of a financial wizard.

You are correct regarding Lansdown tbf I’m just fed up with it all,if I get a phone call from Bentley saying you have won a free season ticket for next season I will tell him where to shove it 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

8A349B56-F0B7-40FA-B0E6-5461C1E7E364.jpeg

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You are correct regarding Lansdown tbf I’m just fed up with it all,if I get a phone call from Bentley saying you have won a free season ticket for next season I will tell him where to shove it 

I'm renewing simply because I go with a relative but I must admit I am not a million miles away from saying "**** it" and doing some groundhopping on a Saturday where you have no emotional investment and can just sit back, stress free, and if a game's good then great and if it's total shite like today then great!! The football that we have played over three or four seasons now has generally been so bad that it's criminal and for the club to then raise season ticket prices simply tells you how much contempt they have for supporters. From what I understand Bristol Rugby are charging their supporters less next season..................

I have no idea what he’s on about anymore tbh.

Said that we need to change players in the summer that don’t have the right personality, today especially. Okay let’s dissect that:

Bentley - one of the best keepers in the league. Out the team now back in. Wouldn’t say he’s one of the ones NP is talking about. 

Cundy - inexperienced player at this level. Went off at 1-0 up. Wouldn’t say he’s one of the ones either.  

Klose - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. 

Atkinson - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. also scored the goal. 

JD - the only one with any shred of credit over the last 10 games or so. Bombed out the side now back in. 

James - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. NP said he’s the best midfielder he’s ever worked with. Can’t be him. 

Scott - one of the best players we’ll ever produce. Would be in a world of trouble without him. Can’t be him. 

Williams - NP has said how much he rates him. Coming back from injury. Can’t be him. 

Weimann - can’t be him for a multitude of reasons. 

Wells - maybe him

Martin - as honest & experience as a pro could be at this level. Can’t be him. 

So who the **** is the issue if it’s not the management and set up?

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 3

Today was shit. As a team, the players looked like they were on the proverbial beach. One or two tried, made themselves available for a pass were sort of okay. But, all in all, that was crap.

As for Pearson. Well ultimately he’ll go obviously and takes some of the responsibility. I say some, because the ultimate responsibility for this utter mess is the owner and his son for allowing such a culture of failure, passivity, high expectation (words are easy) with low execution, wasteful and poor recruitment at all levels. To their credit, thank goodness the Academy and its staff appear to have been a bright ray of sunshine behind the grey clouds hanging over Ashton Gate. Pearson has inherited a situation which I don’t think he even thought would be this shit. He’s not blameless by any means, but what I do respect about his words today that resonates with me beyond an obvious assessment of him playing self protection (which partly he may well have been) is this. Pearson has played and managed at the highest level of the domestic game, coming from a humble playing position, being efficient, solid, dependable as opposed to being a natural talent. He knows what it takes, the personality, drive etc, to make it, to get to the top tier of the game. 

For me, he can see the mentality isn’t right within the club to get there. There’s a soft belly and soft ambition here and has been for years. And I think it really has surprised him how much that is. 

Like him or loathe him (and yes words are easy), but Pearson got his assessment absolutely bang on about the club. Apart from the Dicks promo and div 1 team (5 seasons), the Cooper revival period (3 seasons), the Jordan promo and Div 2 squad (2 seasons), the Ward promo squad (1 season), Johnson Snr promo and Champ play-off squad (2 seasons), the Cotts promo squad (1 season), 3 league cup semis, 3 ”historic” FA Cup giant killings v Top tier teams, and an Anglo-Scottish Cup win, all my time supporting the club has been taken watching mediocrity. No matter I love the club (sometimes like today I hate them) and have seen some good players and performances down the years. But all in all it’s been a lesson in supporting mediocrity.

Unfortunately, for all the shiney refurbed stadium, High Performance Training Centre, Rebranding the Robin, etc, etc, we are still left with an underlying feeling of this club talking the talk, but making decisions that only end in serving up mediocrity. Whether it was LJ, DH, Danny Wilson, even GJ (despite getting closest to the Prem), and now NP, all have ultimately served up teams showing glimpses of promise then disappointed.

I hope Pearson succeeds. After watching today and hearing his interview, I don’t think he will. Problem I have is that I believe what he said lies at the heart of BCFC. A total culture change has got to take place. I don’t think that SL or JL have the stomach for it anymore. In some ways I don’t blame them. But they have brought a lot of the problems on themselves. Ultimately they have recruited and signed off the footballing strategies for this club which have by and large has got us into this stale mess. 

The club may indeed need a new manager soon? Well it needs a lot more as well. Energy, fresh ideas, desire and a plan to stick with.

We’re stale and today confirmed it. If we don’t make significant changes throughout the club this summer, I fear that next season we will go down and yet again the big wheel of mediocrity starts turning again.

Sorry to sound so bleeding glum, but that performance felt like it should be a watershed moment for this club, but I’m not convinced it will be. And thats why what Pearson said resonated with me. I’m not sure if the will or desire actually exists at this club to drive it on. We’re all hoping that a new manager will at last arrive to deliver that success at last. Perhaps we might strike lucky with our next appointment. Unfortunately, I think the problems go much, much deeper. With our recent recruitment record, who really trusts our Board to get it right?

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Said that we need to change players in the summer that don’t have the right personality, today especially. Okay let’s dissect that:

Bentley - one of the best keepers in the league. Out the team now back in. Wouldn’t say he’s one of the ones NP is talking about. 

Cundy - inexperienced player at this level. Went off at 1-0 up. Wouldn’t say he’s one of the ones either.  

Klose - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. 

Atkinson - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. also scored the goal. 

JD - the only one with any shred of credit over the last 10 games or so. Bombed out the side now back in. 

James - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. NP said he’s the best midfielder he’s ever worked with. Can’t be him. 

Scott - one of the best players we’ll ever produce. Would be in a world of trouble without him. Can’t be him. 

Williams - NP has said how much he rates him. Coming back from injury. Can’t be him. 

Wells - maybe him

He does this constantly, throws nameless individuals under the bus to deflect.

The one that stands out as having all of the traits he moaned off today was Matt James, and he signed him FFS !

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Wells - maybe him

You've not considered the subs

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

You've not considered the subs

He’s basically already said he wants Vyner out. Semenyo and HNM will be at a better place than here next season and are bright sparks in an awful season so isn’t them. 

So he’s pinning all this on Vyner then?