IGNORED

Can't wait for Mike Bassetts post match.

Waconda

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

I have no idea what he’s on about anymore tbh.

Said that we need to change players in the summer that don’t have the right personality, today especially. Okay let’s dissect that:

Bentley - one of the best keepers in the league. Out the team now back in. Wouldn’t say he’s one of the ones NP is talking about. 

Cundy - inexperienced player at this level. Went off at 1-0 up. Wouldn’t say he’s one of the ones either.  

Klose - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. 

Atkinson - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. also scored the goal. 

JD - the only one with any shred of credit over the last 10 games or so. Bombed out the side now back in. 

James - Pearson’s signing. Is the managers fault if he already doesn’t fancy him. NP said he’s the best midfielder he’s ever worked with. Can’t be him. 

Scott - one of the best players we’ll ever produce. Would be in a world of trouble without him. Can’t be him. 

Williams - NP has said how much he rates him. Coming back from injury. Can’t be him. 

Weimann - can’t be him for a multitude of reasons. 

Wells - maybe him

Martin - as honest & experience as a pro could be at this level. Can’t be him. 

So who the **** is the issue if it’s not the management and set up?

Good post!
I shouldn’t worry about trying to make sense of it. NP says every few weeks that he’ll change the team, change the players, get rid of them…. He said it just before the Jan window.  Nothing ever seems to change and I’d have thought part of his job was getting the best from what he has, improving them. Maybe that’s another part of the job he doesn’t like - along with transfers, agents, the media, coaching and accepting any responsibility. 

• Like 2

I don't understand people saying 'the culture of the club is wrong'.  What do you actually mean by this, particularly in terms of matchday performance?

From what I can see, the players are individually decent on paper (or half decent), we are just lacking something. That bit of creativity in the middle of the park, and we lose concentration at the back. We don't keep the ball well enough, which invites pressure. We let in a lot of late goals, as physiology it plays on the players minds and they lack confidence. 

When we come up against the top teams, they show us up, as they have better players. Against the others teams there generally is not much in it.

I don't understand what this has to do with 'the culture of the club'?

Edited by bbew

13 hours ago, ray savino said:

Today was shit. As a team, the players looked like they were on the proverbial beach. One or two tried, made themselves available for a pass were sort of okay. But, all in all, that was crap.

As for Pearson. Well ultimately he’ll go obviously and takes some of the responsibility. I say some, because the ultimate responsibility for this utter mess is the owner and his son for allowing such a culture of failure, passivity, high expectation (words are easy) with low execution, wasteful and poor recruitment at all levels. To their credit, thank goodness the Academy and its staff appear to have been a bright ray of sunshine behind the grey clouds hanging over Ashton Gate. Pearson has inherited a situation which I don’t think he even thought would be this shit. He’s not blameless by any means, but what I do respect about his words today that resonates with me beyond an obvious assessment of him playing self protection (which partly he may well have been) is this. Pearson has played and managed at the highest level of the domestic game, coming from a humble playing position, being efficient, solid, dependable as opposed to being a natural talent. He knows what it takes, the personality, drive etc, to make it, to get to the top tier of the game. 

For me, he can see the mentality isn’t right within the club to get there. There’s a soft belly and soft ambition here and has been for years. And I think it really has surprised him how much that is. 

Like him or loathe him (and yes words are easy), but Pearson got his assessment absolutely bang on about the club. Apart from the Dicks promo and div 1 team (5 seasons), the Cooper revival period (3 seasons), the Jordan promo and Div 2 squad (2 seasons), the Ward promo squad (1 season), Johnson Snr promo and Champ play-off squad (2 seasons), the Cotts promo squad (1 season), 3 league cup semis, 3 ”historic” FA Cup giant killings v Top tier teams, and an Anglo-Scottish Cup win, all my time supporting the club has been taken watching mediocrity. No matter I love the club (sometimes like today I hate them) and have seen some good players and performances down the years. But all in all it’s been a lesson in supporting mediocrity.

Unfortunately, for all the shiney refurbed stadium, High Performance Training Centre, Rebranding the Robin, etc, etc, we are still left with an underlying feeling of this club talking the talk, but making decisions that only end in serving up mediocrity. Whether it was LJ, DH, Danny Wilson, even GJ (despite getting closest to the Prem), and now NP, all have ultimately served up teams showing glimpses of promise then disappointed.

I hope Pearson succeeds. After watching today and hearing his interview, I don’t think he will. Problem I have is that I believe what he said lies at the heart of BCFC. A total culture change has got to take place. I don’t think that SL or JL have the stomach for it anymore. In some ways I don’t blame them. But they have brought a lot of the problems on themselves. Ultimately they have recruited and signed off the footballing strategies for this club which have by and large has got us into this stale mess. 

The club may indeed need a new manager soon? Well it needs a lot more as well. Energy, fresh ideas, desire and a plan to stick with.

We’re stale and today confirmed it. If we don’t make significant changes throughout the club this summer, I fear that next season we will go down and yet again the big wheel of mediocrity starts turning again.

Sorry to sound so bleeding glum, but that performance felt like it should be a watershed moment for this club, but I’m not convinced it will be. And thats why what Pearson said resonated with me. I’m not sure if the will or desire actually exists at this club to drive it on. We’re all hoping that a new manager will at last arrive to deliver that success at last. Perhaps we might strike lucky with our next appointment. Unfortunately, I think the problems go much, much deeper. With our recent recruitment record, who really trusts our Board to get it right?

Can't agree enough with this. The bottom line is the Board. And therein lies the problem. There is no board, it is an echo chamber. There is no corporate governance. Who is going to challenge SL?........John Lansdown? Gould? Complete vacuum exists. As has been mentioned previously the silence at the top recently is deafening 

• Like 4