IGNORED

He's not the Messiah - he's a very naughty boy....

bcfcredandwhite

Why on earth did the OP need to start another thread on NP?

I have a perfectly good one and only opened with 3 words ( which guaranteed that anyone who wanted to stop reading didn't get the chance unless they stopped at "that" or "is" but by the time readers got to "all" - it was definitely too late.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Why on earth did the OP need to start another thread on NP?

I have a perfectly good one and only opened with 3 words ( which guaranteed that anyone who wanted to stop reading didn't get the chance unless they stopped at "that" or "is" but by the time readers got to "all" - it was definitely too late.

Wind up merchant, no more, no less.

Woweeeee interesting thread. It strikes me that most of the stuff quoted is figures and actions that can not be proved or confirmed with out doubt as 100 % correct. So the discussion in the thread is based on uncertainitys . So any opinions stated have no solid backing or support and is just about. individual opinion. Weather we like NP or not we are still supporters of the same club. And yes we are still in the after effect of MA/LJ. They have gone now so can we leave them in the past and just be concerned with the present. What is here in the moment. Yes the team on the pitch has some real problems at present and I do really think we are going down next year. Because SL has, or is not allowed, to spend on transfers. If we are in Div 1 so be it as long as I alive and can  watch and support. As long as there is a Bristol City that's cool by me. 

It's funny, maybe not, that we live in such totally ****** up times in this country and  in the world. And football still creates more passion than anything I know of 

End of rant . Have a great day 

Red till I dead 

PS. Did some one mention that some one had moved to Swindon in this thread ? Now that's really tragic. I mean Swindon ffs.

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
Can't spell shit
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I'm surprised you read as far as that, considering its a thread actually trying to hold Nigel Pearson to account. 

Anyway, if you are interested, here you go:

Nahki Wells £27,000
Tomáš Kalas £22,000
Kasey Palmer £20,000
Andreas Weimann £18,000
Danny Simpson £15,000
Daniel Bentley £14,000
Matty James £14,000
Joe Williams £10,000
Nathan Baker £9,000
Callum O'Dowda £8,400
Chris Martin £8,400

Source: Bristol City 2022 Wages | Player & Team totals (salarysport.com)

I know one player through a friend (you can prob work out who via my previous posts) and I can tell you the information on that player is wrong. So I wouldn’t believe it for Simpson either…..

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes he did. And as someone who's prepared to support Pearson for a good while longer yet, ie. the coming summer transfer window at the very least, I agree it was rude. Just as some of his other replies to media questions have been.

But, seriously, who gives a funk? Seriously. 

"Oooh I can't stand him cos 'es so rude".

Get a funking grip.

Oh dear, there are some odd posters on here.

Obnoxious is probably the word I should of used not rude

15 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You really want to judge how good or otherwise he is by using statistics?

Without taking any context into account - the teams we've been playing, the level we're playing at, the state of the club when he took over, the fact he's been here 5 minutes as opposed to those other managers you're comparing him to? 

Idiot. On the ignore step you go. 

Yes performances have been poor. Agreed, we probably should be doing a bit better. How much better? Play off better? Of course not, so on the ignore step you go.

The rest of your rambling post isn't even anything to do with Pearson, so... like I said. Idiot. 

Haha, please feel free to **** right off then.

You think some of our other managers came in with a worse squad than pearson? What did cotts come into?

idiot.

Thanks to everyone who bothered to respond to this with a sensible argument, even when disagreeing - in particular  @Davefevs @Silvio Danteand @Fuber

Regarding Fammy being allowed to go; I now accept that this was done outside Nigel's tenure. That was a mistake on my part. Apologies to anyone I offended, including Nigel. An interesting sidenote that (if comments are to be believed) Ashton seemed to have taken it upon himself to make those decisions though - on some of the anti-LJ threads we were told that the MANAGER had the final say as to who was retained or who was sold/allowed to go. Not in this case perhaps? 
I still think it was a mistake by the CLUB to let them go without being replaced.

It was also a mistake to sign Simpson - whatever salary he was on.
Regarding Simpson's salary and the accuracy of the figure quoted by SalarySport - Of course it may not be accurate, but its reasonable to assume that it's not that far off (within a few £thousands). Of course I don't know exactly what Simpson - or any other squad member - is paid, other than seeing what these websites publish as a rough guide - and neither does anyone else outside of BCFC. Why should we accept Wells's and Palmers's salary figures to be accurate-ish and use those figures to beat up LJ and MA, but not Simpsons? Plus, although many people ridiculed the figure, NOBODY has been able to confirm what it actually is. In the crazy world of football salaries £15kpw is not unthinkable. 
Either those salary websites are vaguely accurate or they are not. 

Someone asked why start another thread? So that my own comments are at the top. If I used an existing thread to post my views then my comments would be lost amongst the scores of minor insults, sarcasm, imojis, cartoons and pisstakes by those who blindly believe that NP can do no wrong and can't be bothered to back up that belief using rational arguments. Besides, how many LJ threads were there? I'm sure this won't be the last either.

So to summarise; 

IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION 

The club should not have let Fammy and Pato go without replacing them.

The club should not have signed Simpson - whatever salary he was on it was too much

The club should have let Wells go to Cardiff/Swansea

I didn't agree with the dropping of Kalas after the Euros

I can't work out what style Pearson is trying to play

The football and the results have not been good

As people said in criticism of LJ when he was here 'it's part of the manager's job to motivate the players and get them playing' - or words to that effect. To me, that does not appear to be happening.

Overall I'm disappointed. I don't want NP sacked but things have to improve next season - or at least LOOK like they MIGHT improve.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

So to summarise; 

- my response back is what would it have cost to replace these two, and bearing in mind the success of the “forward line” in terms of goals, in hindsight was that necessary when costs needed to be cut?  Pre-season I wrote for The Post that I saw the forward line as the lowest priority, especially when we had Martin, Weimann, Wells and Semenyo, backed up by Conway and Bell (and possibly Britton, plus Palmer and Scott as “tens”)

The club should not have signed Simpson - whatever salary he was on it was too much

I would’ve preferred we had signed Tanner in the summer to compete with Vyner at RB.  That wouldn’t have solved the issue either in hindsight.  I wrote in the sane article that I thought that Pearson would just try and get through this season cheaply.

Allegedly Wells didn’t want to go, would only go if permanent deal, and neither were offering more than a loan.

who dropped him?  He came back late, and after 2 league games of Baker and Atkinson, having had a sensible re-introduction to the squad he came back on.

no, it’s not easy to work out, but constrained by who is available, in form, etc.

indeed, but I might argue some of this is due to constraints / circumstances in a broader context. We can happily have different views.

As people said in criticism of LJ when he was here 'it's part of the manager's job to motivate the players and get them playing' - or words to that effect. To me, that does not appear to be happening.

it is. It doesn’t always manifest itself in results on the pitch straightaway.  Looking from the outside in, you are within your rights to reach that evaluation.  Personally, having watched this season pan out, I’m happy with what is going on.  There have been bumps in the road, but I think that is because “we are where we are”…at the start of a long and painful journey.  I find it quite refreshing to hear a manager talk about putting the club first, and building for a time beyond his tenure.  That is unlike most managers who are “for the now” whereas Pearson is happy to lay foundations.

Overall I'm disappointed. I don't want NP sacked but things have to improve next season - or at least LOOK like they MIGHT improve.

you can judge next season when it happens based on your levels of expectations.  They may be the same as mine or different.  I’m certainly gonna wait to see how the squad has shaped up over the summer before I give my expectations.  How would you feel if the squad felt weaker in July / August because of the financial constraints?  What does improvement look like?  Finishing higher in the league each year isn’t necessarily a good barometer, it’s “bigger” than that.  For me it feels like we have to backwards to go forwards.

My own thoughts above:

I honestly don’t expect you to agree with me, I’m not trying to change you opinion either, I’m just giving you my honest view.  There have been some disappointments, but overall I’m pretty happy with how things are going in context of the wider issues in the club.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

You think some of our other managers came in with a worse squad than pearson? What did cotts come into?

idiot.

What did Cotts come into?

SOD had already signed Flint, Pack, Williams, Fielding, JET, Wagstaff — all of whom went on to be parts of our promotion side, plus Cotts had Keith Burt in the background as far as recruitment was concerned. 

Cotts had far more players, support, and cash available than NP’s had so far — and he made the most of all that. 

• Like 5

Many peoples opinions on here are based on who they like/don't like/hate rather than on results. I don't want to get rid of NP, I'd give him at least until November, but if you judge it purely on results (ie final league position) at Championship level since we got promoted in 08/09 under GJ then the only manager worse than NP is McInnes (although SO'D was in charge when we got relegated in 12/13 by the time he took over it was a lost cause). This is based on our current position (19th), I know there are a few games left but I can't see us going much higher. The best season was obviously the first one in 08/09 when we finished 4th under GJ, the next best was 8th under LJ in 18/19, even Keith Millen was better finishing 15th in his only full season in 10/11.

So while I don't want NP sacked the people on here criticising him have a case to be answered, and saying he was left with a rubbish squad are they really worse than say Millwall, Luton or Coventry who are all in the top 10?  I hope he starts getting the wins next season and proves his supporters right, but there must be some doubt?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

and saying he was left with a rubbish squad are they really worse than say Millwall, Luton or Coventry who are all in the top 10?

In my opinion, yes, quite a bit worse, if you consider ability level, depth and balance (overall)…notwithstanding the lack of funds to put right quickly.  If it had one of those thre components…balance in particular, I’d expect a bit more than I’ve seen.  Pearson is trying to run as lean as possible to save money…and stay up.

On 13/04/2022 at 15:29, bcfcredandwhite said:

To some people, all our mistakes and failings on the pitch are STILL the fault of Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson. 'Sir' Nigel can do no wrong; when things go right he's brilliant and when things go wrong it's all down to LJ and MA - REALLY???

Lets look at some of Nigel Pearson's bigger decisions in more detail:
He let Pato and Fammy leave on a free, but didn't replace either of them - to 'save wages' apparently. Ok, fair enough - we WERE skint - so what does he do? He goes and signs Simpson - on £15k per week.......... :emoticon-0121-angry
He refused play our most expensive 'assets' (Wells and Palmer) - or his own purchase, Simpson - which is fair enough if he doesn't think they are good enough (apart from Simpson - why sign him if he's ****?), ...... but then at the same time won't allow Wells to go to Cardiff or Swansea - who were both interested on taking him on loan, which would have saved us his wages AND put him in the shop window. Why? Maybe he was scared that he might start playing a tune under a different (better) manager who actually PLAYS him?!!
The official line is that Nigel didn't want to let Wells go to a Championship rival. 
IF Wells had been allowed to go and play in Wales - and gone on to score shedloads - it would have raised his stock and we would have been more likely to be able to offload him. Loans often turn into permanent moves and it could have been good for everyone. We were virtually safe at the time - and Nigel wasn't playing him anyway - so the risk to us was minimal.

None of the above makes common sense for a regime supposedly strapped for cash - we can't bleat on and on (blah blah blah) about money wasted by MA and LJ, when he goes and does this.

Kalas is another example of bizarre management - he had a GREAT Euro tournament for his country and has been one of our most reliable players for years - but Pearson dropped him from our first 11. Bizarre. This smells of a dressing-room fallout to me - a clash of egos maybe? At a time when we needed all the defensive firepower we could get.

At least Weimann is playing well though - thank Christ.

ALL the above have been MANAGEMENT decisions by 'sir' Nigel - and bloody poor ones. Nothing to do with LJ or MA - or even SL/JL

Nigel Pearson has been a poor manager so far. I'm extremely disappointed. I didn't expect promotion - I expected a period of 'settling down', but I did expect it to be better than this. I can't even describe what Nigel Pearson's 'style' of play is. 

No I still don't want NP sacked - yet - believe it or not, it IS possible to criticise the manager without wanting him replaced - and besides - it's only worth sacking someone if there is a better replacement available. However, I don't buy any more of this 'he inherited a **** squad' bollocks any more. He did his bit to CREATE the current '****' squad, so if the squad really IS '****' then it's partly of his own making.
To be fair to Nigel, it's just some of our FANS who are saying this, not Pearson himself.

He needs to do the job he's paid to do - lets not forget that he's being paid more than ANY other manager in the history of our club - EVEN MORE THAN LEE JOHNSON WAS!!
Some of his decisions defy logic and he really needs to step up. I'm really beginning to wonder if he is a 'one hit wonder' (with Leicester) - like Wilson was (with Barnsley). I seriously hope NOT - for all our sakes, but he's certainly NOT the messiah.

So many inaccuracies, I should have stopped reading at letting Fam go but I got as far as Kalas before stopping - he’s just had an op hasnt he? No evidence he was dropped 

We lack depth and balance - we literally have no RB (Tanner coming back soon hopefully) and NP typically plays four at the back. We have good players but are unable to rest and or rotate. There is very little pressure on current first team players - partly because of league position (lack of relegation threat or promotion hope) but also there isn't really many options beyond them, no other players putting pressure on their place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

So many inaccuracies, I should have stopped reading at letting Fam go but I got as far as Kalas before stopping - he’s just had an op hasnt he? No evidence he was dropped 

To be fair @bcfcredandwhite has clarified his stance and apologised for getting some of the detail wrong further up this page. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I can't say for certain but have been led to believe Simpson was on peanuts, we're talking hundreds of pounds a week with then a sizeable bonus for being on the bench/playing. Whether you believe that or not is up to you, but it makes more sense than anywhere near 15k a week for an older player to come warm the bench. Believe he was here to help set standards etc as a favour to NP before retirement. None of us know how well he did that.

Why should we have let Wells go? He's here and playing well? I completely understand the criticism Palmer gets but the negativity around Wells is odd to me. Never had a bad attitude that I've seen and he scores goals when he plays up front. Poor bloke has spent most of his time at LW or coming on with ten minutes to go, where he's professionally done his bit to help the team. Can't remember which game, but he had one appearance off the bench where he was fed in one on one with the keeper from about the halfway line, and ran it out to the corner rather than trying to get a goal and make a case for a start.

As DaveFevs has said Kalas wasn't dropped, although in my opinion he's not done enough to have an automatic spot in the side for a long time. Made the same mistakes he does every week for us at the Euros as well.

I agree re style of play. We had a spell where we were playing 4-3-3 but that's clearly been pushed to the side, might be personnel related. I also agree that things have to improve next season. There's no more excuses next season, although I do feel for Pearson in that it's going to be a tough summer. Think his appointment will be like SODs where he'll end up laying the groundwork and doing a lot of the dirty work for someone to then come in and build on it. Providing we don't go down, I'm content with that. Albeit it's a god awful watch.

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

idiot.

Cotts came into a pretty good squad, the likes of JET, Pack, Flint all signed by SOD. He improved it, no doubt. Then, having got us promoted...didn't.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

He’s injured now, yes - and he had been playing  more recently up to his injury. 
The time I’m referring to was back last year just after the Euro’s. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would’ve preferred we had signed Tanner in the summer to compete with Vyner at RB.  That wouldn’t have solved the issue either in hindsight.  I wrote in the same article that I thought that Pearson would just try and get through this season cheaply.

Not just in hindsight. Many were sceptical about relying on a combination of Vyner and Simpson to cover the RHS of defence at the time if I recaill correctly. I certainly was. Poor judgment on NP's part?

no, it’s not easy to work out, but constrained by who is available, in form, etc.

indeed, but I might argue some of this is due to constraints / circumstances in a broader context. We can happily have different views.

Do you not agree though that, despite those constraints, he probably should have done better with what he's had available?

See above  ^^^^

My own view is that, on the evidence so far, as someone in charge of the match day eleven, whilst he's not been terrible, he's not been that good either, However, his contribution to the  overall rebuild of the squad has been generally positive enough to justify giving him more time.

Incidentally, as an observation not a criticism, your posting style of responding point-by-point within the OP's text, makes it quite tricky to reply to you.

Edited by Colemanballs

10 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

He’s injured now, yes - and he had been playing  more recently up to his injury. 
The time I’m referring to was back last year just after the Euro’s. 

You were wrong about that too. See @Davefevs response above .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tin said:

What did Cotts come into?

SOD had already signed Flint, Pack, Williams, Fielding, JET, Wagstaff — all of whom went on to be parts of our promotion side, plus Cotts had Keith Burt in the background as far as recruitment was concerned. 

Cotts had far more players, support, and cash available than NP’s had so far — and he made the most of all that. 

He also had karleigh osborne, el abd, martin paterson, brendon maloney, tyrone barnett, nyron nosworthy and simon gillett. And that team had just been relegated and were in free fall badly enough that odriscoll was fired.

On 13/04/2022 at 15:29, bcfcredandwhite said:

To some people, all our mistakes and failings on the pitch are STILL the fault of Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson. 'Sir' Nigel can do no wrong; when things go right he's brilliant and when things go wrong it's all down to LJ and MA - REALLY???

Lets look at some of Nigel Pearson's bigger decisions in more detail:
He let Pato and Fammy leave on a free, but didn't replace either of them - to 'save wages' apparently. Ok, fair enough - we WERE skint - so what does he do? He goes and signs Simpson - on £15k per week.......... :emoticon-0121-angry
He refused play our most expensive 'assets' (Wells and Palmer) - or his own purchase, Simpson - which is fair enough if he doesn't think they are good enough (apart from Simpson - why sign him if he's ****?), ...... but then at the same time won't allow Wells to go to Cardiff or Swansea - who were both interested on taking him on loan, which would have saved us his wages AND put him in the shop window. Why? Maybe he was scared that he might start playing a tune under a different (better) manager who actually PLAYS him?!!
The official line is that Nigel didn't want to let Wells go to a Championship rival. 
IF Wells had been allowed to go and play in Wales - and gone on to score shedloads - it would have raised his stock and we would have been more likely to be able to offload him. Loans often turn into permanent moves and it could have been good for everyone. We were virtually safe at the time - and Nigel wasn't playing him anyway - so the risk to us was minimal.

None of the above makes common sense for a regime supposedly strapped for cash - we can't bleat on and on (blah blah blah) about money wasted by MA and LJ, when he goes and does this.

Kalas is another example of bizarre management - he had a GREAT Euro tournament for his country and has been one of our most reliable players for years - but Pearson dropped him from our first 11. Bizarre. This smells of a dressing-room fallout to me - a clash of egos maybe? At a time when we needed all the defensive firepower we could get.

At least Weimann is playing well though - thank Christ.

ALL the above have been MANAGEMENT decisions by 'sir' Nigel - and bloody poor ones. Nothing to do with LJ or MA - or even SL/JL

Nigel Pearson has been a poor manager so far. I'm extremely disappointed. I didn't expect promotion - I expected a period of 'settling down', but I did expect it to be better than this. I can't even describe what Nigel Pearson's 'style' of play is. 

No I still don't want NP sacked - yet - believe it or not, it IS possible to criticise the manager without wanting him replaced - and besides - it's only worth sacking someone if there is a better replacement available. However, I don't buy any more of this 'he inherited a **** squad' bollocks any more. He did his bit to CREATE the current '****' squad, so if the squad really IS '****' then it's partly of his own making.
To be fair to Nigel, it's just some of our FANS who are saying this, not Pearson himself.

He needs to do the job he's paid to do - lets not forget that he's being paid more than ANY other manager in the history of our club - EVEN MORE THAN LEE JOHNSON WAS!!
Some of his decisions defy logic and he really needs to step up. I'm really beginning to wonder if he is a 'one hit wonder' (with Leicester) - like Wilson was (with Barnsley). I seriously hope NOT - for all our sakes, but he's certainly NOT the messiah.

There is nothing more frustrating than people just making things up. 

Personally am okay with us finishing one place above relegation, if that’s allowed us to work further towards getting our financial (and hopefully cultural) house in order. One manager in 116 years has taken us to the top division in England, so NP hardly the exception. Maybe it will turn out that NP wasn’t the right fit, but here and now, for me, results aren’t all that matters, it’s future results that matter.

Don’t believe any manager would have got us close to play offs with the current squad, so therefore survival and maximum rebuild are the two main priorities for me.  Lower the wage bill, develop youngsters, change the culture. The first of those has happened (more to do), think most would agree the second has as well (even if you give 100% credit to the players themselves) and the third is pretty much subjective. However, totally get that I/others in the ‘NP stay’ camp are taking a jam tomorrow view, which may not come to fruition, no guarantees. My view is based on thinking the jam today would be pretty unappetising (gooseberry?) whoever was managing, therefore jam tomorrow is less of a risk and I like the progress made on the 3 themes above. 

None of this is to say NP is doing the perfect job - it does appear that Shakespeare/Walsh (think we could do with Stowell as well to help the keepers, albeit suspect Leicester a marginally more attractive proposition…) would be handy additions to assist where NP is less strong/more stretched. As an example, even as an ‘NP stay’-er, it’s still very clear defensive set up in open play and from set pieces leaves a lot to be desired and think more progress should have been made. But whilst a manager staying or going is binary, his performance is unlikely to be all good or all bad, NP is doing enough given my priorities (which realise will be entirely different to lots of supporters) to stay. 

A lot of this is stars aligning - Nathan Jones’ 16% win record at Stoke was hardly a sign of a tip-top young coach, but he appears to fit like a glove at Luton with his 48% win record. Maybe he was solving problems in the background at Stoke for others to build on?!? I’m still unsure if we’re Leicester in progress or OH Leuven. Without the band of 3 mentioned above, Leicester probably unlikely, but maybe the things NP is good at will make the job of our Ranieri (/Cotterill) figure much easier. 

Eventually NP will leave and if it’s soon, fair chance we’ll all be able to say we were right: NP out folk if replacement has a better record “see, NP was rubbish”, NP in folk “see, NP sorted the mess for the next in line”.

Oh well, all fun and games (sort of). 

• Like 1
  • Flames 3

3 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

He also had karleigh osborne, el abd, martin paterson, brendon maloney, tyrone barnett, nyron nosworthy and simon gillett. And that team had just been relegated and were in free fall badly enough that odriscoll was fired.

In fairness Paterson, Nosworthy and Gillett were all loans and played well in helping us stay up. Paterson, Nyron and El Abd were signed by Cotts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In my opinion, yes, quite a bit worse, if you consider ability level, depth and balance (overall)…notwithstanding the lack of funds to put right quickly.  If it had one of those thre components…balance in particular, I’d expect a bit more than I’ve seen.  Pearson is trying to run as lean as possible to save money…and stay up.

He is underperforming with a mid table Championship squad.

But then you do state that Luton have a better squad than City so not taking your opinion seriously.