IGNORED

Derby v Fulham

Jerseybean

So a fantastic result for Derby on Saturday, coming from behind against Fulham to win.  Sadly for them Reading also won. So pretty bad for Derby overall. they remain 9 points behind Reading for 4 to play.   So assuming Reading get no more points Derby need to win 3 from 4.

If Reading don't lose on Monday and Derby lose it is all over.  Otherwise it rolls on to the Championship game of the season Rooney v @Mr Popodopolous!!!

Edited by Hxj
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Hxj said:

So a fantastic result for Derby on Saturday, coming from behind against Fulham to win.  Sadly for them Reading also won. So pretty bad for Derby overall. they remain 9 points behind Reading for 4 to play.   So assuming Reading get no more points Derby need to win 3 from 4.

If Reading don't lose on Monday and Derby lose it is all over.  Otherwise it rolls on to the Championship game of the season Rooney v @Mr Popodopolous!!!

Okay I have to ask. What’s up with the @Mr Popodopolous vs Derby jokes?

13 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Ha. Fair enough. Do enjoy a bit of forum beef #TeamPop

Ha, I was banned before I could even post, or registration denied. I think @Hxj was banned before he'd even posted anything...some of them on there, they seem a touchy lot on Dcfcfans. Possibly a little too easily offended about their team and certain off field FFP etc back then, Disciplinary issues.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ha, I was banned before I could even post, or registration denied. I think @Hxj was banned before he'd even posted anything...some of them on there, they seem a touchy lot on Dcfcfans. Possibly a little too easily offended about their team and certain off field FFP etc back then, Disciplinary issues.

It’s a curious case a Derby. Part of me does feel for them having effectively been forced into relegation by the EFL, but they didn’t seem too upset when they were spanking opposition teams with a squad clearly beyond their means, so sod ‘em. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

It’s a curious case a Derby. Part of me does feel for them having effectively been forced into relegation by the EFL, but they didn’t seem too upset when they were spanking opposition teams with a squad clearly beyond their means, so sod ‘em. 

Yep, relegation would be well deserved. The sheer jubilation at Mel apparently running rings around the EFL wasn't something I'd seen to that sustained level at other EFL clubs in and around FFP too.

Forgot to add, OTIB made (dunno if you've seen it) Ze List on the Forest forum as did a certain poster in addition haha.

Wouldn't it be funnier if Pearson, who was badly treated indeed there was the opposing manager who presided over them slipping into League One- or at least was coaching the side who did. It's at least plausible that next Saturday could see us send them down. 

"We are staying up, you are going down!"

Serious note, relegation and a hard reset could be positive for them in the long run. Can live within their means  a bit more and be assisted in doing so via the EFL Business plan.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yep, relegation would be well deserved. The sheer jubilation at Mel apparently running rings around the EFL wasn't something I'd seen to that sustained level at other EFL clubs in and around FFP too.

Forgot to add, OTIB made (dunno if you've seen it) Ze List on the Forest forum as did a certain poster in addition haha.

Wouldn't it be funnier if Pearson, who was badly treated indeed there was the opposing manager who presided over them slipping into League One- or at least was coaching the side who did. It's at least plausible that next Saturday could see us send them down. 

"We are staying up, you are going down!"

Serious note, relegation and a hard reset could be positive for them in the long run. Can live within their means  a bit more and be assisted in doing so via the EFL Business plan.

The scenario of relegating them is something I’m dead keen for, I mentioned elsewhere it’s my first away day of the season next Saturday. Would be very enjoyable feeling the atmosphere of being in the ground when relegations is confirmed. Cruel maybe, but they’d enjoy doing it to us!

Edit: would be nice for Nige too as you say. He’s earned it for taking on the shit-show that is us ?

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

The scenario of relegating them is something I’m dead keen for, I mentioned elsewhere it’s my first away day of the season next Saturday. Would be very enjoyable feeling the atmosphere of being in the ground when relegations is confirmed. Cruel maybe, but they’d enjoy doing it to us!

Edit: would be nice for Nige too as you say. He’s earned it for taking on the shit-show that is us ?

Yep, I recall when we botched the chance to relegate Birmingham 5 years back. Think even a draw would have done it in the end.

Would have made up for 2013 but for me more the controversial game in 1999, Trevor Francis fighting with a steward, their penalty that never was, Akinbyi's questionably disallowed goal when 1 up.

That game didn't mathematically send us down unlike 2013 but it sent us right back towards relegation after the April revival.

Yeah not just the shit-show here but at Derby he was sacked after 4 or 5 months? Not only that but as per a piece by Matt Lawton about Derby in January, Pearson's travails there were referenced and it said it left him close to quitting the game.

Putting my obviously relatively partisan views to one side, I may as well ask.

@Derby_Ram @AnotherDerbyFan

Pearson and Derby. What happened? He got sacked in not much time at all, on paper looked a very good appointment. He's not exactly someone who demands a big chequebook or at least with us he seems comfortable not doing so- different at Derby?

I dare say given time and patience Derby might have been better off under him than they have subsequently ended up but then again one game from glory in 2019.

Interested in why the arrangement came to such a quick end and did he deserve more time?

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pearson and Derby. What happened? He got sacked in not much time at all, on paper looked a very good appointment. He's not exactly someone who demands a big chequebook or at least with us he seems comfortable not doing so- different at Derby?

I dare say given time and patience Derby might have been better off under him than they have subsequently ended up but then again one game from glory in 2019.

Interested in why the arrangement came to such a quick end and did he deserve more time?

He had significant issues with Mel Morris. 

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

No, they were forced into relegation by Mel Morris, who was cheered all the way by Derby fans who thought he was so clever. The EFL simply applied its rules as it should.

No sympathy at all.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think we'll ever really know.

It was never a universally popular appointment, first role after he'd been sacked 12 months before and in the last few months at Leicester we had the ostrich comment and grapple with James
McArthur.

In one way it was the exact type of appointment we needed with some discipline after the previous seasons shambles of sacking Clement when we were 5th replacing with Wassell (+ Harry Redknapp), but you could never see him and Morris really hitting it off. His football at Leicester, and in the first couplemof months with us, was by and large defensive and dull which went against the "Derby way" of the time and which contributed to Clement's removal. Plenty of rumours and conjecture about drones and what have you but no one really knows.

I think the most likely is Pearson tried to instill too big a culture change too quickly and Keogh and a few other players pushed back. That led to Keogh feeding stories to Morris who >were> very close and kicked off a chain reaction.

From afar Pearson seems a lot more mellow these days than he did both in his time at Derby and more so from his time at Leicester. No ill will to the man but I'm glad he's no longer with us - I go to football to be entertaintained and it was turgid.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Allegedly, Morris was using drones to keep tabs on Nige, wasn’t it?

Yes and also I heard Morris would storm the dressing room and bollock the players in front of NP which clearly wouldn't go down well. Add in a disjointed squad on huge wages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Without wanting to pee on your chips I really wouldn't expect much mourning or deep sorrow if it happens next Saturday ?. Whenever you watch MOTD and a team gets relegated they'll always find those one or two fans in tears and no doubt you could do that when the inevitable happens; but I'll happily wager with any fan who comes up to PP next week you'll be impressed by the positive atmosphere in the crowd.

Around Feb there was a genuine chance of the impossible but since even the first points deduction we've known what's been coming yet have had the closest connection to the team than in years and years with just what an honest and hard working bunch they are. We were odds on to go down before a ball was kicked and since then we've had 21 points deducted. They'll be an atmosphere next Saturday afternoon but we won't feel any cruelty being inflicted by you lot in the corner ?

(I still think we'll officially go tomorrow but would love to stretch it out until the week after our game to have a going down party on Blackpool front!)

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

7 hours ago, Derby_Ram said:

Don't think we'll ever really know.

It was never a universally popular appointment, first role after he'd been sacked 12 months before and in the last few months at Leicester we had the ostrich comment and grapple with James
McArthur.

In one way it was the exact type of appointment we needed with some discipline after the previous seasons shambles of sacking Clement when we were 5th replacing with Wassell (+ Harry Redknapp), but you could never see him and Morris really hitting it off. His football at Leicester, and in the first couplemof months with us, was by and large defensive and dull which went against the "Derby way" of the time and which contributed to Clement's removal. Plenty of rumours and conjecture about drones and what have you but no one really knows.

I think the most likely is Pearson tried to instill too big a culture change too quickly and Keogh and a few other players pushed back. That led to Keogh feeding stories to Morris who >were> very close and kicked off a chain reaction.

From afar Pearson seems a lot more mellow these days than he did both in his time at Derby and more so from his time at Leicester. No ill will to the man but I'm glad he's no longer with us - I go to football to be entertaintained and it was turgid.

Thanks for the considered response and good depth.

Yeah I thought it looked interesting from afar...think his football at Leicester was a bit more varied, certainly their title season and the run-in during the survival season was quite high octane but will certainly defer to you on the Derby stuff.

Can believe that- have read in places that Derby players or some of them at the time had the ear of Mel Morris, were highly paid, pampered etc? You'll know more about it than me.

Down here not too bad in some ways- seems to have certainly mellowed, blooding youth and isn't (as far as any of us know) demanding some big warchest.

Yeah seems a positive atmosphere in the circs- fight until the end etc, who knows had Jagielka and Shinnie stayed. I've a feeling Derby will still have survival hopes alive after Easter Monday but for how long who knows.

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Allegedly Mel Morris insisted on using drones to observe NP’s training sessions from afar - Nigel obviously objected to this and was suspended due to his protestations on the matter ... 

• Thanks 1

Might add too, as for actual football- shock I know- wouldn't surprise me if Derby win because they might have more to play for, plus their home record is vastly superior to our away record although late wins at Blackburn and Stoke have been encouraging. Our counter attacking game might help, two goals at Bournemouth too- but the form guide ie home v away and what's riding on the game as it stands definitely indicates a Derby win tbh.

59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Might add too, as for actual football- shock I know- wouldn't surprise me if Derby win because they might have more to play for, plus their home record is vastly superior to our away record although late wins at Blackburn and Stoke have been encouraging. Our counter attacking game might help, two goals at Bournemouth too- but the form guide ie home v away and what's riding on the game as it stands definitely indicates a Derby win tbh.

Derby at QPR today and I fancy them to win given QPRs poor form - 5 losses and a draw in the last 6 games.

Reading away to in form Swansea today (4 wins, 2 draws in last 6), can't see them getting anything there.

Interesting run-in if results go that way with Derby having Blackpool and Cardiff as the last two - Reading have WBA and Luton..

32 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Derby at QPR today and I fancy them to win given QPRs poor form - 5 losses and a draw in the last 6 games.

Reading away to in form Swansea today (4 wins, 2 draws in last 6), can't see them getting anything there.

Interesting run-in if results go that way with Derby having Blackpool and Cardiff as the last two - Reading have WBA and Luton..

Reading are at home. I think they get at least a point.

Derby's away form is woeful, and they fluked it a bit against Fulham. 2-0 to QPR I'd say.

Would put Derby 10 behind with 9 to play for. Oh no. How sad. Anyway.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Reading are at home. I think they get at least a point.

Derby's away form is woeful, and they fluked it a bit against Fulham. 2-0 to QPR I'd say.

Would put Derby 10 behind with 9 to play for. Oh no. How sad. Anyway.

My mistake re Reading away.

But I still reckon a Swans win given their form.