IGNORED

Murray Testimonial?

11 years at the club, bar a few months at reading...

when will he get his testimonial match then? and who do you think it will be against? i would like to see it against villa, the club where he started...

Surely a testimonial is awarded for 10 years unbroken service??

Guest Garfunkle
It is, but surely we can reward both him and Louis for good service!?

their wages are enough reward. a testimonial is for 10 years unbroken service.

anyway these days footballers earn enough to not need testimonials and should follow niall quinns example and donate the proceeds to charity

Surely a testimonial is awarded for 10 years unbroken service??

If the club doesnt want to reward his loyal service - then technically yes. However, there isn't a set amount of time. I for one, think he deserves it !!!

The only rule I can find on the FA website is this:

[Clubs may enter into agreement with players after five years continuous service providing for a testimonial. Players shall be qualified for a second testimonial after a further five years continuous service. If a player is eligible for and entitled to a testimonial, his Club may grant him a monetary consideration, sanctioned by the Board of Directors, in lieu of such testimonial.]

10 years solid service (doesn't include spells when players have moved to other clubs for the sole purpose of BETTER MONEY)

both loyal servants but testimonal wouldn't be right.

Knowing Both players though and what they have done for the club, I wouldn't be suprised in a couple of seasons though to see some sort of "Combined Charity Based Benefit Match" which would be more appriorate.

The only rule I can find on the FA website is this:

[Clubs may enter into agreement with players after five years continuous service providing for a testimonial. Players shall be qualified for a second testimonial after a further five years continuous service. If a player is eligible for and entitled to a testimonial, his Club may grant him a monetary consideration, sanctioned by the Board of Directors, in lieu of such testimonial.]

So the rest of you are wrong with your 'its ten years' crap. Its when the club sees fit after 5 years onwards.

Guest Garfunkle
So the rest of you are wrong with your 'its ten years' crap. Its when the club sees fit after 5 years onwards.

so orr will be due one in a year or two, as will brooker and alex russell

if u base it on 5 years it gets stupid

Think you are missing the point - the club can reward players - whoever they see fit to after a minimal period of 5 years....no-one is saying whoever gets to 5 years should have a testimonial - but with both Louis and Scotty - they have given 10 years or more of their footballing lives to our club and it would be a nice gesture to give a testimonial - seeing as they were only away for 5 or 6 months.

Guest Garfunkle
Think you are missing the point - the club can reward players - whoever they see fit to after a minimal period of 5 years....no-one is saying whoever gets to 5 years should have a testimonial - but with both Louis and Scotty - they have given 10 years or more of their footballing lives to our club and it would be a nice gesture to give a testimonial - seeing as they were only away for 5 or 6 months.

but there is then the argument that they did leave so they werent 'loyal' so why reward loyalty?

if murray had scored goals at reading and settled in better would he have come back?

if carey hadnt got homesick would he have come back?

I agree and assume that's why clubs/players don't do it.

Scott was here for over five years in his first spell, so could be given one retrospectively, I guess. However, I'd suggest it would meet with a fair bit of objection (as it already has on this thread), so he may be better waiting until March 09 before doing anything. That way he's completed five years in his second spell.

There will always be those who object to testimonials in principle, so I think it's down to the player to decide if he feels it will sour or enhance his relationship with the fans.

It is, but surely we can reward both him and Louis for good service!?

Maybe a joint testimonial game for Scott and Louis where they split the proceeds may be appropriate, as they are in similar circumstances (long serving with a break).

but there is then the argument that they did leave so they werent 'loyal' so why reward loyalty?

if murray had scored goals at reading and settled in better would he have come back?

if carey hadnt got homesick would he have come back?

I can see what you are saying but neither asked to leave - it was City agreeing fees with the clubs concerned - I know they could have said 'no' but City had agreed to sell them.

I can see what you are saying but neither asked to leave - it was City agreeing fees with the clubs concerned - I know they could have said 'no' but City had agreed to sell them.

Not in Carey's case. He left on a free transfer when he was out of contract.

Guest Garfunkle

lets be honest, if a player doesnt want to leave they don't, ie enoch in january.

also, I'm sure carey went on a bosman? or am i wrong?

Cant see why that is harsh at all. Can see no point in bending the rules at all.

If he has a dibilitating illness and needed support however...

Here here,

No one "forced" either of them to leave the club - they followed the golden cow

Why should we now put more money in their very well lined pockets?

Remember its THE FANS who PAY for testimonial not the club

The club can reward with bonus and new contracts

I think, and i could well be wrong, that there are some inland revenue rules regarding tax etc which stipulate 10 years or tax must be paid thats why everybody quotes 10 years.

I also thought SL has already said that it must be 10 years unbroken service in the case of both players.

lets be honest, if a player doesnt want to leave they don't, ie enoch in january.

also, I'm sure carey went on a bosman? or am i wrong?

Enoch didnt leave cause he had no interest in Leeds - he was and still is waiting for the right club to offer him a deal.

As mentioned in a previous post , yes money does talk, especially when a club agrees to sell you. Signing on fees and an increase in wages would be hard to turn down. That said given the fact they have given 10 years plus each, albeit on 2 seperate occasions, I still would like night to celebrate their outstanding contribution to Bristol City !! I like the idea above, with a joint testimonial.

Disagree with testimonials in principle these days.

When players were poorly paid there was a good reason for a one off pay day to reward loyal servants and help set them up for a life after football.

Nowadays if a player has been a first teamer at Bristol City for 10 years then they've been extremely well paid for 10 years, and that should be enough.

Maybe a joint testimonial game for Scott and Louis where they split the proceeds may be appropriate, as they are in similar circumstances (long serving with a break).

I'd like to see a Testimonial game arranged where they are both recognised for their service to the club, but where they don't necessarily benefit financially. I too am of the belief that Testimonials aren't needed in the way they once were, or they shouldn't be anyway.

Let the fans show their appreciation, let the players enjoy their glory but if money is involved let them pick a good cause.

Guest Garfunkle
Enoch didnt leave cause he had no interest in Leeds - he was and still is waiting for the right club to offer him a deal.

exactly!!!!! murray and carey went because they were happy to. therefore not loyal!!!

I'd like to see a Testimonial game arranged where they are both recognised for their service to the club, but where they don't necessarily benefit financially. I too am of the belief that Testimonials aren't needed in the way they once were, or they shouldn't be anyway.

Let the fans show their appreciation, let the players enjoy their glory but if money is involved let them pick a good cause.

I like it. Well said.

Disagree with testimonials in principle these days.

When players were poorly paid there was a good reason for a one off pay day to reward loyal servants and help set them up for a life after football.

Nowadays if a player has been a first teamer at Bristol City for 10 years then they've been extremely well paid for 10 years, and that should be enough.

100% agree.

I was just about to rant on about how testimonials are nothing more than a piss take of the fans.Why should we put our hard earned dosh into the pocket of an already well paid footballer? Most earn more in a week than most fans in 3 months.

If the proceeds from a testimonial were dedicated to charity then I wouldn't have a problem with them.

No one is forcing anyone to go to the game if/when it happens!

It's up to you, if you want to support them and say thanks then go along - if you don't want to then don't go!

Simple!

If SM was going to have one wouldn't he fancy Aberdeen, isn't that 'his team'?

Not sure who LC would choose though?

For what it's worth I wouldn't mind seperating with the cash to say thanks, both been great servants to the club - regardless of their little holidays at Reading & Coventry. They both strike me as the kind of guys that would do the right thing with the cash as well, LC is a local lad so sure he'd want to 'put something back' and SM is an adopted Bristolian. Maybe they could give the money to the Gash to help with their stadium plans?! :innocent06:

Archived